• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

It's 2004 Losman/Bledsoe all over again

Remember the end of 2004? After a crappy start, we made an improbable run at a playoff spot and came up just short.

Because we were winning, JP stayed on the bench and Bledsoe played out the season. When '05 started, JP clearly would have benefitted from the experience.

Well, we're right back in the same situation. We still have a shot at the playoffs, so Edwards isn't playing. But like Bledsoe, it's becoming painfully obvious that JP isn't the right QB for this team.

I'm not convinced Edwards is the answer either, but going forward in the off-season, it would be nice to have some indication of whether or not he's servicable so we have the option of going in a different direction with QB.

This is an interesting predicament because this team is 5-5 and still has an outside shot at the playoffs (even though I think it's a lot less realistic than the mathematics make it sound). If we play Edwards, it will piss off the vets (Jauron already made that mistake) and send a signal that this year is training camp for next year. If we don't play Edwards, we're making the off-season even more difficult and potentially screwing up the future.

So, what do we do?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: It's 2004 Losman/Bledsoe all over again

It's a double-edged sword. If Buffalo loses Sunday in Jax, you can almost bet that Losman will not be starting the week after. If Buffalo wins, then he probably keeps his job.

I think Dick will wait until the Bills fall out of contention before he makes another QB change. Of course, they could keep winning, and make the playoffs, then I don't know what happens with Losman.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Bledsoe had done some promising things his first year at least, Jp has done nothing to show he's an NFL qb.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

Why don't we spin a QB debate a different way every other thread??

It's getting really freaking old man, please I beg all of you to stop on the QB debate, we need a moratorium.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
          Why don't we spin a QB debate a different way every other thread??

It's getting really freaking old man, please I beg all of you to stop on the QB debate, we need a moratorium.
          This isn't another Losman/Edwards debate.

It's a "what to do about the QB position going forward" debate. Clearly the position isn't set and something will have to be done in the off-season, and it looks like we're falling for the same trap we fell into in 04.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
            It's a double-edged sword. If Buffalo loses Sunday in Jax, you can almost bet that Losman will not be starting the week after. If Buffalo wins, then he probably keeps his job.

I think Dick will wait until the Bills fall out of contention before he makes another QB change. Of course, they could keep winning, and make the playoffs, then I don't know what happens with Losman.
            Short term making the playoffs would be great.

Long term, it could actually be a curse because it would be tough to dump Losman if he got us to the playoffs. Look at the Bears and Rex Grossman.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• billsburgh
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
              Short term making the playoffs would be great.

Long term, it could actually be a curse because it would be tough to dump Losman if he got us to the playoffs. Look at the Bears and Rex Grossman.
              we should learn from the Bears' mistake. they had success in spite of Grossman's play and they stuck with him too long. I dont want to see the Bills make the same mistake.

Comment

• The Answer
                The Plagiarist
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MBBedard
                Bledsoe had done some promising things his first year at least, Jp has done nothing to show he's an NFL qb.
                Plus Bledsoe took his team to the superbowl in his 3rd nfl season - Losman hasn't even sniffed the playoffs yet.

~The Answer

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Bledsoe is a borderline HOFer, he has huge numbers and has been to the bowl in his career...twice.

Losman is a borderline cashier at Tops, who'd probably drop the eggs trying to bag them.

Comparing the two at this juncture is laughable.

This is more like Vince Ferragamo vs Bruce Mathison.

Comment

• The Answer
                    The Plagiarist
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                    Bledsoe is a borderline HOFer, he has huge numbers and has been to the bowl in his career...twice.

Losman is a borderline cashier at Tops, who'd probably drop the eggs trying to bag them.

Exactly - comparing Losman to Akili Smith or Cade McNown would be a far better example.

~The Answer

Comment

• The King
                      Without me it's just Awe so
                      • Jun 2004

Actually he went to the Pro Bowl 4 times... but saying he's a borderline HOFer here will get you flamed.
                      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                      It was all
                      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by MBBedard
                        Actually he went to the Pro Bowl 4 times... but saying he's a borderline HOFer here will get you flamed.

Meant Superbowl.

Yes Brady was at the helm in 2000 for most of the year due to Bledsoe's injury BUT Bledsoe played a hell of a game vs Pittsburgh in the playoffs when Brady got hurt to get them to that Superbowl.

And numbers + his success as a pro doesn't lie. As much as people around here hate him. Which is pretty justified because when he was leaving here he was pretty much hanging on by a thread and should have retired.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                          • Mar 2004

Meant Superbowl.

Yes Brady was at the helm in 2000 for most of the year due to Bledsoe's injury BUT Bledsoe played a hell of a game vs Pittsburgh in the playoffs when Brady got hurt to get them to that Superbowl.

And numbers + his success as a pro doesn't lie. As much as people around here hate him. Which is pretty justified because when he was leaving here he was pretty much hanging on by a thread and should have retired.
                          Just imagine if Donahoe had put an O-line in place for Bledsoe like the one that Marv put in place this year. Bledsoe, when given time, was a hell of a passer. He was slow as Bernie Kosar with a broken leg, but the Bills KNEW that when they got him. It still baffles me as to why the O-line wasn't addressed for so many years.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                            Just imagine if Donahoe had put an O-line in place for Bledsoe like the one that Marv put in place this year. Bledsoe, when given time, was a hell of a passer. He was slow as Bernie Kosar with a broken leg, but the Bills KNEW that when they got him. It still baffles me as to why the O-line wasn't addressed for so many years.
                            even now they still haven't gotten it right because we've got a mismatch between our OL and the talent behind them.

We have a great RB but an OL that can't run block. We have an OL that can pass block but QB's that are questionable at best.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              even now they still haven't gotten it right because we've got a mismatch between our OL and the talent behind them.

We have a great RB but an OL that can't run block. We have an OL that can pass block but QB's that are questionable at best.
                              I think the run blocking is more of a bad scheme that ability. Those guys are all huge, they should be able to engulf opposing Dline, and especially LBs. It seems like the running plays are often too extravagent. If I was OC, I'd be calling plays where there was more straight ahead blocking, as opposed to zone-blocking or whatever the hell it's called.

Comment

Working...
                              X