PDA

View Full Version : Coaching issues to blame league-wide

trapezeus
11-22-2007, 11:25 AM
just curious on your thoughts. do you think that the game has become watered down because too many coaches are former OC or DC's with very little experience. the turnover rate in the HC position occurs so quickly that we are now seeing people who shouldn't be coaches coaching teams. and we see retreds who shouldn't be around getting second and third chances.

that's why there are 3-4 teams each year that do really well and the rest just beat up on each other and it's called parity when it's really just bad coaching

The last buffalo fan
11-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Bad coaching IMO.

djjimkelly
11-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Bad coaching IMO.

how bout horrific coaching.

many solid nfl level coaches also goto college ranks becuz of serious job security and similar if not better at times wages.

i dont think its coincidence its mainly coaching staffs that have been in place for several years that are mainly having success theres always exceptions but its the same coaches year in year out that have success.

we have a chump who had 1 year!!!!! of success in what 6-7 years of trying

colin
11-22-2007, 07:31 PM
ya,

i think there are pro staffs and then there are the amateurs.

i think good teams waste less time and are able to have more plays executed better.

good qb play and good coaching can make a lot of things happpen

YardRat
11-22-2007, 07:41 PM
we have a chump who had 1 year!!!!! of success in what 6-7 years of trying

But then he took us to four straight Super Bowls.

Wys Guy
11-22-2007, 10:39 PM
just curious on your thoughts. do you think that the game has become watered down because too many coaches are former OC or DC's with very little experience. the turnover rate in the HC position occurs so quickly that we are now seeing people who shouldn't be coaches coaching teams. and we see retreds who shouldn't be around getting second and third chances.

that's why there are 3-4 teams each year that do really well and the rest just beat up on each other and it's called parity when it's really just bad coaching

There are lots of reasons the least of which does not have to do with chemistry.

Chemistry, more than in any other sport, is absolutely key in football. The OL has to play well together before the QB and RBs perform optimally and therefore the receivers and passing game.

Ditto on D.

Chemistry takes time to develop in football even up to half a season with a new line for example. FAcy has shredded chemistry and therefore year-to-year continuity for most teams. It takes a world class or very, very good coach to be able to hurdle that well.

Another thing that feeds into it is an increasing focus on individual exploits over overall team performance. This has impacted the other major league pro sports to a far greater extent to where fans come merely to see an individual baseball, basketball, or even hockey player as opposed to merely seeing the team as a whole hopefully win. That's tougher to do in the NFL due to the reliance (chemistry) of the other team/unit members in order to succeed.

IMO the NFL is on the fringe of losing many purists. More fans today seem more interested in playing FFL than in actually watching football at face value. Again, just my perceptions.

The overall product is definitely getting watered down however as you imply.

djjimkelly
11-23-2007, 12:58 AM
But then he took us to four straight Super Bowls.

i was talking about jauron not levy

justasportsfan
11-23-2007, 09:55 AM
why has Rivers' performance all of a sudden taken a drop and LT isn't playing like the best rb ? Rivers is playing worse or equal to than JP did last year.

Bad coaching .

Mitchy moo
11-23-2007, 09:58 AM
why has Rivers' performance all of a sudden taken a drop and LT isn't playing like the best rb ? Rivers is playing worse or equal to than JP did last year.

Bad coaching .

true, so lets grab marty.

justasportsfan
11-23-2007, 10:01 AM
true, so lets grab marty.
Marty was sucessful because of BUtler/Smith ability to draft well. If people here think that Dick is a horrible gameday coach, so is MArty. If you gave Dick the talent Aj Smith gave Marty, he too will make playoffs as long as he gets rid of Fairchild.

Mitchy moo
11-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Marty was sucessful because of BUtler/Smith ability to draft .

Well, they have basically the same team and after marty left the team is tied with us record wise. 14-2 last season to 5-5 thus far, who's to blame?

justasportsfan
11-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Well, they have basically the same team and after marty left the team is tied with us record wise. 14-2 last season to 5-5 thus far, who's to blame?
I'm not disagreeing that Turner is ruinging the team but MArty isn't all that either especially on gameday decisions. He pretty much lost playoff games.

hydro
11-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Marty was sucessful because of BUtler/Smith ability to draft .

Its pretty obvious that its the coaching when a playoff 14-2 team turns into one barely holding onto a possible playoff berth. There were no personel changes other than coaching.

justasportsfan
11-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Its pretty obvious that its the coaching when a playoff 14-2 team turns into one barely holding onto a possible playoff berth. There were no personel changes other than coaching. read my first post

Mr. Pink
11-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Marty was sucessful because of BUtler/Smith ability to draft well. If people here think that Dick is a horrible gameday coach, so is MArty. If you gave Dick the talent Aj Smith gave Marty, he too will make playoffs as long as he gets rid of Fairchild.

Ok so how was Marty successful in Cleveland and KC then?

justasportsfan
11-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Ok so how was Marty successful in Cleveland and KC then?
let me rephrase. MArty is not that bad of a coach but one cannot give him all the credit for his success in SD. It has to be shared with Aj Smith. The problem with MArty gameday decisions which is pretty much the same problem that people have with Dick.

Mr. Pink
11-23-2007, 10:26 AM
let me rephrase. MArty is a better coach than Turner but one cannot give him all the credit for his success in SD. It has to be shared with Aj Smith. The problem with MArty gameday decisions which is pretty much the same problem that people have with Dick.

Marty's biggest problem gameday wise is ... he doesn't know how to coach out the ending of close games in the playoffs, especially on defense. He goes into a prevent mode and gets screwed on it.

Outside of that, Marty is a good gameday coach.

justasportsfan
11-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Marty's biggest problem gameday wise is ... he doesn't know how to coach out the ending of close games in the playoffs, especially on defense. He goes into a prevent mode and gets screwed on it.

Outside of that, Marty is a good gameday coach.
you mean he gets his players ready but screws it up on gameday. Sounds like Dick to me but with better talent (Marty)

Mr. Pink
11-23-2007, 10:34 AM
you mean he gets his players ready but screws it up on gameday. Sounds like Dick to me but with better talent (Marty)

He has the team in position to win more than 50% of the games. He gets his teams to the playoffs. He's competitive every week.

He's not like Dick.

We would be a 7 win team right now with Marty. We wouldn't have lost to Denver because he would have never called a bomb. We wouldn't have lost to Dallas because A. trent would have never throw that pass and B. the sidelines would have been guarded.

Example...Marty got 10 wins out of a 1988 Browns team that went through 4 quarterback changes due to injury. And had 40 year old Don Strock as the starting QB in the playoffs.