PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars in small market, for now

YardRat
11-24-2007, 12:58 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/213692.html

“We think we probably got an NFL team 20 years too early,” said Tim Connolly, Jaguars senior vice president for business development. “That’s something our owner, Wayne Weaver, has said in the past, and it’s true.”

What Connolly means is that Jacksonville is a growing community, and by 2015 — 20 years after the Jaguars’ inaugural season — the expectation is the franchise will not be in such a small market.

For now, however, Jacksonville is about identical in size to Buffalo — basically tied for the fourth smallest in the 32-team NFL, ahead of only New Orleans and Green Bay. Entering the season, Buffalo had the 49th-ranked television market in the country, with 640,000 homes having televisions. Jacksonville was 50th, at 639,000.

Selling tickets is an issue with only about six NFL teams — Buffalo, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Cincinnati, Oakland and Arizona. The rest of the teams sell out virtually every game every year without much effort.

Selling out takes a big effort in Jacksonville — so much that the team covered up about 9,700 upper-deck seats in 2005. That move came after 12 out of 16 Jaguars games were blacked out in ’03 and ’04. The tarps reduced the capacity of Jacksonville Municipal Stadium from 76,877 to 67,164.

don137
11-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Orlando is only about 2 hours away from Jacksonville so they could try to market to some fans in Orlando so the potential for fans are there. The problem is the south is big time into college football and professional football is a distant second to it.

Philagape
11-24-2007, 02:31 PM
It's despicable that there is talk about Buffalo not being a viable market when here we have a team that's surrounded by a swamp and an ocean and needs to cover up seats. How can Jax not be the first candidate for relocation?

YardRat
11-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Last edited by Mikey82 : Today at 02:15 PM.

Keep your hands off of my posts...Unnecessary editing is the most vile infringement of any member's contribution to a message board.

ajsdx
11-24-2007, 02:46 PM
It's despicable that there is talk about Buffalo not being a viable market when here we have a team that's surrounded by a swamp and an ocean and needs to cover up seats. How can Jax not be the first candidate for relocation?

Yeah, but I think one of the points of the article is that Jax has a rosier long-term outlook than Buffalo does. Who knows if the forecast will actually pan out, but I think when talking about relocation of franchises, it's definitely one of the factors that the NFL is going to look at.

The fact that they have to cover up seats just to get the game on TV is a disgrace though.

mybills
11-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Keep your hands off of my posts...Unnecessary editing is the most vile infringement of any member's contribution to a message board.
what did you say? :brush:

YardRat
11-24-2007, 08:17 PM
what did you say? :brush:

Nothing...there were a couple of more paragraphs involved.

Michael82
11-25-2007, 01:03 AM
Sorry, but you practically copied the whole entire article. When posting, just take an excerpt from the article and post that. We have to think about copyright rules. :up:

Ebenezer
11-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Yeah, but I think one of the points of the article is that Jax has a rosier long-term outlook than Buffalo does. Who knows if the forecast will actually pan out, but I think when talking about relocation of franchises, it's definitely one of the factors that the NFL is going to look at.

The fact that they have to cover up seats just to get the game on TV is a disgrace though.
Jax and its suburbs are growing faster than anybody can imagine...the population is already there to sell these games out.

mybills
11-25-2007, 07:52 AM
:eek:

YardRat
11-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Sorry, but you practically copied the whole entire article. When posting, just take an excerpt from the article and post that. We have to think about copyright rules. :up:

I disagree...It was exactly one paragraph over half of the article by paragraph count.

I suggest you read up a little on 'copyright rules' before you try to enforce them.

Also...

If you ever do feel compelled to edit another's posts, the very least you can do is fire off a courtesy PM or even publicly post a request for the member to edit it themselves with an explanation why you feel it needs to be altered in any way and give them the opportunity to change it before you start hacking away.
<!-- / message -->