PDA

View Full Version : A few John Tavares/draft questions

Billscusey
11-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi all, I am a bit confused regarding the recent buzz about John Tavares and his path to the NHL. He currently plays for the Oshawa Generals of the OHL, but the Toronto Maple Leafs want him, yet would have to have the entry rules for the NHL changed in order to sign him since he is still too young. I have two questions regarding this:

1. Why would the Leafs think they can simply "get the rules changed?" Aren't the rules there for a reason? Is this merely Toronto thinking they are the be-all and end-all for hockey, and that what they want they get? Or is there validity to this?

2. Doesn't Tavares HAVE to go through the draft? Or can he just sign with whoever he wants? How does this work? Why would Toronto think they can just "have him?" Is this similar to the Justin Pogge situation? I remember he played for the Hitmen, but was just "picked up" by the Leafs, no draft, no nothing. If the Sabres wanted Tavares, could they just make him an offer too?

Any help would be great, I don't quite understand what's going on here.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-24-2007, 04:53 PM
From what I remember it is John Tavares who is trying to get the NHL to change their draft age for "special" players to enter the NHL draft. They did it in the OHL where they allowed him to enter the league as 14 or 15 year old. The Toronto Maple Leafs could wish all they want for him but he would have to go through the NHL draft in order for him to enter in the NHL. He wouldn't be able to just go and sign with Toronto. I went and seen him play a couple years ago and from what I had seen he is going to be a special player. Maybe not better, but almost as good as Crosby.

G Wolly
11-26-2007, 06:14 PM
I thought you meant the Johnny Tavares of the Bandits.

User Manuel
11-27-2007, 07:57 AM
What is being talked about is Tavares signing with Toronto's AHL team. He would then enter the draft and refuse to sign with the team who drafts him for 2 yrs(i think that is it). He would then sign as a free agent with the Leafs. Basically the Leafs Farm club itself would pay him NHL star money to play in the AHL for three years.

It is unlikely to happen. He isn't eligible in the AHL (same rules as NHL) and I have to believe he would be loathe to sit out 2 NHL seasons just to play with the Leafs.

Apparently, the NHL denied his request to give him dispensation though he is 5 days short of the draft age.

I think this was more of a ploy by his people to pressure the NHL to allow him early entry.

That all being said this is the NHL and anything is possible. I think it is more likely he gets an early in through legal methods and the Leafs trade for the #1.

carybillsfan
11-28-2007, 02:11 PM
What is being talked about is Tavares signing with Toronto's AHL team. He would then enter the draft and refuse to sign with the team who drafts him for 2 yrs(i think that is it). He would then sign as a free agent with the Leafs. Basically the Leafs Farm club itself would pay him NHL star money to play in the AHL for three years.

Tavares wants to play in the AHL because he's averaging 2pts/game in the OHL. His skills are above that level. By him signing with Toronto's AHL team he would play against better competition, when he is old enough he would go into the draft.

By rules of the NHL, the team drafting him has 2 years to sign a drafted player from when they start playing professional hockey, usually juniors not college. If they do not sign him by then he would re-enter the draft. (this happened a few years back to a Buffalo prospect, I forget his name, but Reiger missed the deadline by a few hours and the player re-entered that years draft.) This mainly happened in the prelockout NHL.

It will not happen in todays NHL because of the rookie cap. Tavares will get taken first overall, therefore he'll get the standard maximum deal, same as Crosby got, 3years $895K per, $1-2M signing bonus. He has to take it, if an offer is in place at the maximum the NHL would allow the prospect has no right to re-enter the draft, per new NHL rules.

Toronto is not trying to scam the system. Tavares will play in the NHL from the day he is drafted just like Crosby and Kane.

User Manuel
11-28-2007, 03:40 PM
While most players would in fact re-enter the draft in 2 years, Tavares wouldn't because in 2011 he'd be considered 21 for the purpose of the Entry Draft; if he plays one pro season(in the AHL) in North America at either age 18, 19, or 20 then he would be exempt from being selected in the '11 draft.

The Sabres prospect was Mike Zigomanis.

The original story, which I think the original poster was alluding too. Was that people thought that the Leafs would somehow circumvent the draft if he played for the Marlies.

I have seen him play a few times and he is not gaining much by staying in the O, but I am not sure the AHL would be that much better. I say let the legend grow some whiskers.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig display in first post only on page -->

Billscusey
11-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks everyone, this is starting to make more sense now. Lawsome, that is exacly what I was thinking! Damn Leafs!

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-30-2007, 12:19 PM
the 5 last place teams get their team names put in a ballot for to see which team will draft first. yes it use to be the last place team picks first but for the past few year a lottery has been put in. so the Laughs finish last they still don't get that first draft pick they can get 1,2,3,4, or 5th in the draft. and it goes by standings it doesn't matter what happens in the playoffs. if you see a top team get a 1,2,3,4, and a 5th draft pick is cause they made a trade a few years back with one of the last place teams and so that's why you will see a top team be one of the first picks.

SabreEleven
11-30-2007, 03:11 PM
the 5 last place teams get their team names put in a ballot for to see which team will draft first. yes it use to be the last place team picks first but for the past few year a lottery has been put in. so the Laughs finish last they still don't get that first draft pick they can get 1,2,3,4, or 5th in the draft. and it goes by standings it doesn't matter what happens in the playoffs. if you see a top team get a 1,2,3,4, and a 5th draft pick is cause they made a trade a few years back with one of the last place teams and so that's why you will see a top team be one of the first picks.

Another WTF post by you.