PDA

View Full Version : with TE, can we just agree to not bicker about him...

trapezeus
11-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Bill walsh said it takes 20 starts to know what you have. That accounts for late bloomers as well. so let's give the kid some slack. he's our guy for the near future of at least this season and next. let's give him the support and see if he proves to be as good as touted.

the first couple games may be brutal.

Philagape
11-26-2007, 12:54 PM
If he plays out the season, that'll be nine-plus games, which is about what JP got in 2005.

So Trent's third year, meaning full accountability, no excuses and rejection if he fails, is 2009.

dannyek71
11-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree that we should all get behind TE. I was a big JP supporter, but he is done in Buf.

I believe the problem will occur in a couple of games when TE gets sacked when JP would have got away with his legs, or when TE makes a bad throw and we all believe JP would have made the throw with his arm.

TE is weak where JP is strong, and vice versa.

Elminster
11-26-2007, 12:58 PM
I wish we could've made such a pledge with Losman. People were calling him a bust pretty much when we drafted him. Stupid TD and his hype machine. I will not refrain from criticism, but Trent deserves a fair shot: hopefully minus the crap Losman had to deal with during his tenure here. The first thing I hope for is that he gets at least a new OC for Christmas.

Philagape
11-26-2007, 01:00 PM
I agree that we should all get behind TE. I was a big JP supporter, but he is done in Buf.

I believe the problem will occur in a couple of games when TE gets sacked when JP would have got away with his legs, or when TE makes a bad throw and we all believe JP would have made the throw with his arm.

TE is weak where JP is strong, and vice versa.

It's hard to think of anything bad any QB could do and think, "JP wouldn't have done that." When it comes to mistakes, JP's done it all.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 01:00 PM
he's our guy for the near future of at least this season and next. . He's not our guy next season. Trent was JP's fallback. We also need a fallback in case Trent isn't the guy. We need to bring someone else to compete with Trent. He has the rest of this season to audition for next season.

dannyek71
11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
It's hard to think of anything bad any QB could do and think, "JP wouldn't have done that." When it comes to mistakes, JP's done it all.

I agree, JP is NOT the qb to lead us to the SB or even play offs. But he does make good plays with his legs, and does have a good arm. That is where TE really struggles. JP makes stupid mistakes and inaccurate short passes, which is where TE shines.

dannyek71
11-26-2007, 01:02 PM
He's not our guy next season. Trent was JP's fallback. We also need a fallback in case Trent isn't the guy. We need to bring someone else to compete with Trent.

Gilbran Hamdam if he isnt deported.

Night Train
11-26-2007, 01:02 PM
I give him 3 games before screaming for Gibran Hamdan.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
So Trent's third year, meaning full accountability, no excuses and rejection if he fails, is 2009.BS.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Gilbran Hamdam if he isnt deported.

we need another option as well.

Philagape
11-26-2007, 01:05 PM
BS.

You want to go through a new QB every year and a half?

trapezeus
11-26-2007, 01:06 PM
i'm pretty anti JP these days. but from the start through last year and in the preseason, i gave him a chance. The guy is a likable guy. and we all agreed he needed to play like he did at the end of last year and better. and he fell well short of that.

Now Edwards is a true rookie. He's going to go up and down and somewhere find his game.

we can be critical of him and complain, but don't call for his head until the end of next season if he proves to be injury prone, or shows a pattern of weakness. don't throw him out every game that he has some bad stats or can't score.

HE'S A ROOKIE!

MarshawnIsDaMan
11-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Bill walsh said it takes 20 starts to know what you have. That accounts for late bloomers as well. so let's give the kid some slack. he's our guy for the near future of at least this season and next. let's give him the support and see if he proves to be as good as touted.

I agree. TE has already shown some really positive signs in his first few starts. Sure, there are alot he has to work on. As far as a rookie, he was leap years ahead of Losman and most rookie QB's. Just as long as TE continuously moves forward and not take steps back like JP did, I think we will be all right.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 01:11 PM
You want to go through a new QB every year and a half?
If need be or at least no one qb is annointed the qb . Every qb should be on a short leash. There should always be competition in every position in a win NOW league.

Whoever we bring in as Trents competition should get a legit shot at qb just like Derek Anderson was for Frye. Best player starts. No more investing 3-4 years on any qb regardless of how, who or where he was drafted

The Answer
11-26-2007, 01:11 PM

And this is exactly why the coaching staff/front office has pulled the plug on Losman. At 5-6 we are out of the playoff picture in the AFC, even though we aren't 'mathematically' eliminated they are smart enough to realize the 2007 campaign is over.

That is why Edwards is being put in now - to take his lumps and get more experience under his belt and figure out if he is progressing going into the 2008 season. If he plays lights out and we win the last 5 games and somehow make the playoffs that's just an added bonus.

~The Answer

Philagape
11-26-2007, 01:15 PM
If need be or at least no one qb is annointed the qb . Every qb should be on a short leash. There should always be competition in every position in a win NOW league.

Whoever we bring in as Trents competition should get a legit shot at qb just like Derek Anderson was for Frye. Best player starts. No more investing 3-4 years on any qb.

In JP's third year, you made every excuse in the book, kept him on an extremely long leash considering how he played and wrote off the competition after four games. Were you wrong to do that?

HHURRICANE
11-26-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm going on record as saying we won't need 20 games. Give him the last 5 games this season and we will have our answer.

You guys need to chill. Just because it took JP 4 years to figure out that the opposing team wears a different color that doesn't mean that Trent won't CONTINUE to have a faster learining curve.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
In JP's third year, you made every excuse in the book, kept him on an extremely long leash considering how he played and wrote off the competition after four games. Were you wrong to do that?

Are you so dense that my whole argument about JP was based on winning now. I NEVER said JP was our future. Ask OP and he'll tell you where I was with JP before the season.

Another thing, JP was in his first year under Fairchild last year . This is considered Trents first year too . So with Trents 2nd year under Fairchild (next year) he better get it. He's gonna end up having continuity in the OL , rb and coaches (if Fairchild isn't fired).

JP isn't part of Trent future. He was under a different circumstance as TE and should be handled differrently.

Mitchy moo
11-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Trent will only get better, that's just how I see it.

MarshawnIsDaMan
11-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm going on record as saying we won't need 20 games. Give him the last 5 games this season and we will have our answer.

You guys need to chill. Just because it took JP 4 years to figure out that the opposing team wears a different color that doesn't mean that Trent won't CONTINUE to have a faster learining curve.
Exactly. Some QB's learn from the get go, ala Ben Roethlisberger. Some it takes a long time, Ala Drew Brees. Others, will never learn, no matter how much time you give them, ala Ryan Leaf. I don't care if Ryan Leaf had Belicheck as head coach, Marchibroda as OC, and Joe Montana as QB coach. Some people just don't have it, ala JP Losman. A football QB needs to be more gifted in the intelligence department than the physical department.

Philagape
11-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Are you so dense that my whole argument about JP was based on winning now.

And that's exactly what I'm talking about. If Trent struggles early next year and his backup is an unknown, and you call for the unknown to play on a"better chance to win" basis, you'd be doing the opposite of what you did this year.

Another thing, JP was in his first year under Fairchild last year . This is considered Trents first year too . So with Trents 2nd year under Fairchild (next year) he better get it. He's gonna end up having continuity in the OL , rb and coaches (if Fairchild isn't fired).

JP isn't part of Trent future. He was under a different circumstance as TE and should be handled differrently.

Circumstances are not equal to the personal skills of the QB himself. JP failed because of JP, period. You don't erase his first year. And Trent will succeed or fail because of Trent. A qood QB can make something out of nothing.

HHURRICANE
11-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Exactly. Some QB's learn from the get go, ala Ben Roethlisberger. Some it takes a long time, Ala Drew Brees. Others, will never learn, no matter how much time you give them, ala Ryan Leaf. I don't care if Ryan Leaf had Belicheck as head coach, Marchibroda as OC, and Joe Montana as QB coach. Some people just don't have it, ala JP Losman. A football QB needs to be more gifted in the intelligence department than the physical department.

Welcome to the board, you are a good poster. Glad to have you from BB.com.

DraftBoy
11-26-2007, 01:34 PM
What is up with this? If the guy plays like ****, he deserved to be called out on it, rookie or no rookie. What are we protecting our favorites now? Ok I got CJ Ah You, nobody can say anything bad about him till Year 5!!!! Take the pledge!

Give me a break, what are these guys babies all the sudden?

acehole
11-26-2007, 01:37 PM

My whole argument on the JP vs T Edwards debate is that JP is better right now.

Time will tell.

My second argument was that the Bills had many other issues besides the QB issue.

I think with time Edwards may be good.....but if this is the team he gets I think you
may be in for a rude awakening. Those of us who saw beyond the QB postion will be
proven correct.

Will Edwards make the deffense play better? Stop the run better? The Trend Edwards supporter said yes...

I say no.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 01:39 PM
And that's exactly what I'm talking about. If Trent struggles next year and his backup is an unknown, and you call for the unknown to play on a"better chance to win" basis, you'd be doing the opposite of what you did this year. .

As much as I don't have confidence in Fairchild, I will leave it up to Dick and his coaches to decide if Trents competition is the best option then just as I trusted them with the JP and TE situation.

Circumstances are not equal to the personal skills of the QB himself. JP failed because of JP, period. .So are you implying Fairchild has nothing to do with JP's failure? If so then you are just contradicting what you said that neither Trent nor JP will succeed under Fairchild.

You don't erase his first year. And Trent will succeed or fail because of Trent. A qood QB can make something out of nothing. NOt always the case. Steve Young couldn't do squat in Tampa until he ended up with 49'ers.

MarshawnIsDaMan
11-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Welcome to the board, you are a good poster. Glad to have you from BB.com.
Thanks man. I like this board better. More knowledgable fans here. There are some people on BB that just make the stupidest threads/replies. Its not worth going to anymore.

HHURRICANE
11-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks man. I like this board better. More knowledgable fans here. There are some people on BB that just make the stupidest threads/replies. Its not worth going to anymore.

I almost never read the threads over there but some knuckle head yesterday wrote that Jauron said he "wasn't planning on making a change". Of course I listend to the PC when it was finally posted and he never said anything like that.

Gald to have you!!

Philagape
11-26-2007, 01:44 PM
As much as I don't have confidence in Fairchild, I will leave it up to Dick and his coaches to decide if Trents competition is the best option then just as I trusted them with the JP and TE situation.

So are you implying Fairchild has nothing to do with JP's failure? If so then you are just contradicting what you said that neither Trent nor JP will succeed under Fairchild.

Fairchild was a factor but not the main reason. As was the receivers, which I think is a bigger issue than Fairchild. And I'm not ruling out anything. Good execution makes the biggest difference.

NOt always the case. Steve Young couldn't do squat in Tampa until he ended up with 49'ers.

Most of the time.

And Steve Young started playing well in his third year, which is normal for a good QB, so maybe the light went on on its own too.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Fairchild was a factor but not the main reason. As was the receivers, which I think is a bigger issue than Fairchild. And I'm not ruling out anything. Good execution makes the biggest difference. .
Moolarkey + Fairchild would've ruined anyones career.

Most of the time.. most of the time when a qb hasn't had staff changes constantly.

And Steve Young started playing well in his third year, which is normal for a good QB, so maybe the light went on on its own too.
Walsh vs. Fairchild. You do the math.

Philagape
11-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Walsh vs. Fairchild. You do the math.

Or Steve Young vs. J.P. Losman

Impossible to say how a good QB would have here done since we didn't have one.

trapezeus
11-26-2007, 01:58 PM
What is up with this? If the guy plays like ****, he deserved to be called out on it, rookie or no rookie. What are we protecting our favorites now? Ok I got CJ Ah You, nobody can say anything bad about him till Year 5!!!! Take the pledge!

Give me a break, what are these guys babies all the sudden?

has nothing to do with the players being babies. it's to stop annoying complaining on the boards from people who think they know it all. They scream fire when there is none. And they want to be right more so than have a winning team. Trent has earned a pass. you can critize his play, but calling for his head is unacceptable because QB's need the time. Every coach would say that, but few posters would agree.

when there isn't enough to accurately determine of a guy is the problem or the surroundings are the problem. JP has been in a couple systems, had different OLs, RB's WR, nothing worked. Now we know.

This team will continue to struggle if fans need someone to come in and be the savior immediately. Trent's the man now. i hope he can play well out the gate so that we can all be united about winning instead of divided over losing.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Or Steve Young vs. J.P. Losman

Impossible to say how a good QB would have here done since we didn't have one.

IN time we shall see. If JP ever ends up with a team with a coach as good a Walsh was, he may very well have a career like Youngs. But To say that JP's failures was all his PERIOD is assanine.

TacklingDummy
11-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Just like JP was Harrington, Smith, Johnson etc... until he proved otherwise, Trent is Todd Collins until Trent proves otherwise.

Trent needs to go pick up some trash near his apartment so Bills fans will love his community work.

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 02:01 PM
IN time we shall see. If JP ever ends up with a team with a coach as good a Walsh was, he may very well have a career like Youngs. But To say that JP's failures was all his PERIOD is assanine.

Call me assanine.

Throwing the ball 10 feet over receivers heads is JPs fault.

Throwing worm burners is JPs fault.

Not reading coverages is JPs fault.

Holding the ball too long is JPs fault.

Fumbling when hitting a ref or another player on 3rd and 1 is JPs fault.

So what of JPs play that you or anyone saw isn't his fault?

DraftBoy
11-26-2007, 02:02 PM
has nothing to do with the players being babies. it's to stop annoying complaining on the boards from people who think they know it all. They scream fire when there is none. And they want to be right more so than have a winning team. Trent has earned a pass. you can critize his play, but calling for his head is unacceptable because QB's need the time. Every coach would say that, but few posters would agree.

when there isn't enough to accurately determine of a guy is the problem or the surroundings are the problem. JP has been in a couple systems, had different OLs, RB's WR, nothing worked. Now we know.

This team will continue to struggle if fans need someone to come in and be the savior immediately. Trent's the man now. i hope he can play well out the gate so that we can all be united about winning instead of divided over losing.

Well said but if he plays like crap, I for one will call him out on it, rookie or not. We gave JP way too many passes for being young and inexp not happening this time around.

Philagape
11-26-2007, 02:03 PM

A bad pass is all JP. A bad decision is all JP. Not holding onto the ball is all JP. And those, more than anything else, doomed him. Bad play-calling may have lowered his numbers and hurt the overall offensive production, but only JP is responsible for what he does with the ball on the field.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Call me assanine.

Throwing the ball 10 feet over receivers heads is JPs fault.

Throwing worm burners is JPs fault.

Not reading coverages is JPs fault.

Holding the ball too long is JPs fault.

Fumbling when hitting a ref or another player on 3rd and 1 is JPs fault.

So what of JPs play that you or anyone saw isn't his fault?
So all his success last year was all him period and had nothing to do with anyone else. Okay, if you put it that way then I agree. JP was ranked 11th last year all all by himself PERIOD. Up until this year he had a career qb rating of 85.5 all by himself PERIOD. :up:

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 02:06 PM
A bad pass is all JP. A bad decision is all JP. Not holding onto the ball is all JP. And those, more than anything else, doomed him. Bad play-calling may have lowered his numbers and hurt the overall offensive production, but only JP is responsible for what he does with the ball on the field.no, no,no. You said it was all him PERIOD. You can't add after a PERIOD ;)

djjimkelly
11-26-2007, 02:07 PM
i will hold him to same standar as any QB

and will now be hoping for the drafting of a new REAL QB.

and please neg me becuz he will not be great

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 02:10 PM
So all his success last year was all him period and had nothing to do with anyone else. Okay, if you put it that way then I agree. JP was ranked 11th last year all all by himself PERIOD. Up until this year he had a career qb rating of 85.5 all by himself PERIOD. :up:

And by himself he regressed back to being as bad as he was in his 1st season as starter. 23rd in QB rating at 76.9. BTW Noodle Arm Pennington is 13th...so being in the upper half of the pack on this, isn't indicative of good things. Hell Cutler is 9th this year and people on here have lambasted his play and don't think he's good enough.:up:

TacklingDummy
11-26-2007, 02:10 PM
i will hold him to same standar as any QB

and will now be hoping for the drafting of a new REAL QB.

and please neg me becuz he will not be great

The Bills will need another QB on the roster. Maybe they should trade for Quinn. Trent may or may not work out but the one thing I don't like about him is his history of getting hurt.

Stop the hate. JP is done.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 02:26 PM
And by himself he regressed back to being as bad as he was in his 1st season as starter. 23rd in QB rating at 76.9. BTW Noodle Arm Pennington is 13th...so being in the upper half of the pack on this, isn't indicative of good things. Hell Cutler is 9th this year and people on here have lambasted his play and don't think he's good enough.:up:
so a qbs success or failures are all on them. Got it. You're lucky that Anderson is awsome because Crennel has nothing to do with Anderson. :up:

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 02:27 PM
so a qbs success or failures are all on them. Got it.

When you can't hit wide open receivers or read a defense or know what ball security is...yep.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 02:28 PM
The Bills will need another QB on the roster. Maybe they should trade for Quinn.
:scratch: Lee the lockerroom cancer for Quinn?

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 02:30 PM
so a qbs success or failures are all on them. Got it. You're lucky that Anderson is awsome because Crennel has nothing to do with Anderson. :up:

Crennel actually has absolutely nothing to do with Anderson. Crennel doesn't do anything with the offense in Cleveland. That's Chud's job!

And DA can actually hit receivers in stride. Doesn't throw grounders to wide open guys. Doesn't hold the ball too long - see 48 attempts vs the Hawks and 0 sacks. Doesn't overthrow WRs by 10 feet.

Savage got lucky when he picked up Anderson when the Ravens tried to pass him through to get him on their practice squad.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 02:32 PM
When you can't hit wide open receivers or read a defense or know what ball security is...yep.
So now matter how many times the OL gets their qbs sacked, it wall on the qb. got it.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Crennel actually has absolutely nothing to do with Anderson. Crennel doesn't do anything with the offense in Cleveland. That's Chud's job!

And DA can actually hit receivers in stride. Doesn't throw grounders to wide open guys. Doesn't hold the ball too long - see 48 attempts vs the Hawks and 0 sacks. Doesn't overthrow WRs by 10 feet.

Savage got lucky when he picked up Anderson when the Ravens tried to pass him through to get him on their practice squad.
Like I said, you're lucky. If the Browns end up going to the playoffs because of Anderson, it's all on him . Not Crennel.

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 02:36 PM
So now matter how many times the OL gets their qbs sacked, it wall on the qb. got it.

How often does Losman get sacked within 2 seconds? When it's not a corner blitz from the weakside? Next to never, this year. He had great protection all day vs the Jags and what did we see out of him? A performance that you or I could have done better then.

Losman doesn't get it that most plays you're only gonna have 3 seconds or so to find a guy open and get rid of the ball. He locks down on one guy and if he doesn't get open, we see Losman running around in circles in the backfield because he's eluding the pressure that inevitably is going to get to him. Or he forces a pass into coverage and either gives up the pick or knocked down pass.

Dude, you're smarter than this...you've watched the games. Nothing that JP has failed on is anyone's fault but his.

djjimkelly
11-26-2007, 02:36 PM
The Bills will need another QB on the roster. Maybe they should trade for Quinn. Trent may or may not work out but the one thing I don't like about him is his history of getting hurt.

Stop the hate. JP is done.

actually we at work here today have been talking about this all morning.

IM ALL FOR TRADING FOR QUINN!!!!!! obviously we are seeing he was the one to hold NOTRE DAME TOGETHER

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 02:38 PM
actually we at work here today have been talking about this all morning.

IM ALL FOR TRADING FOR QUINN!!!!!! obviously we are seeing he was the one to hold NOTRE DAME TOGETHER

As a Browns fan, I would love to get rid of him. But not to the other team I like. I'd love to see Quinn on the Ravens, personally.

MarshawnIsDaMan
11-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Like I said, you're lucky. If the Browns end up going to the playoffs because of Anderson, it's all on him . Not Crennel.
No its on Crennell as well. Anderson has finally given Cleveland an offense. The coach gets the team prepared, the players have to execute them. Crennell has prepared them well and players have executed them, especially Anderson. The QB is the most vital position on a team IMO. Bellichek didn't win without Brady. Bledsoe had the same team and coaching staff and they didn't win.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Dude, you're smarter than this...you've watched the games. Nothing that JP has failed on is anyone's fault but his. We shall see in time if this is so, once he's moved on. Right now I think Fairchild is an idiot and coaching has a lot to do with a qb's success or failure. I think no one could've succeeeded here. Not Eil, not Ben, not Rivers.

Ask Moran what he was thinking when he said he was ahuge Fairchild fan and followed his career in STL. Now he's fliplopping again.

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 02:42 PM
No its on Crennell as well. Anderson has finally given Cleveland an offense. The coach gets the team prepared, the players have to execute them. Crennell has prepared them well and players have executed them, especially Anderson. The QB is the most vital position on a team IMO. Bellichek didn't win without Brady. Bledsoe had the same team and coaching staff and they didn't win.

Crennel really has nothing to do with the offense though. Chud's in charge of the offense and does what he sees fit. Chud runs a hybrid WCO and instructs DA to throw most passes high, because Cleveland's main weapons on O are big targets.

Crennel has his hand in the defense and oversees the team as a whole but really has no input on offensive decisions.

In fact, Chud and DA have saved Crennel's job.

TacklingDummy
11-26-2007, 02:43 PM
:scratch: Lee the lockerroom cancer for Quinn?
Hmm, I would do it if Trent plays poorly the rest of the season. And then give Moss a boat load of money to come here next year.

RockStar36
11-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Hmm, I do it if Trent plays poorly the rest of the season. And then give Moss a boat load of money to come here next year.

But then who would Quinn throw the ball too? Let's be realistic, Moss wouldn't touch Buffalo with a ten foot pole unless he is on the other team catching multiple touchdowns against them. Moss has pretty much proven this year that he will play great for a winner and play like **** for a loser.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Hmm, I do it if Trent plays poorly the rest of the season. And then give Moss a boat load of money to come here next year.
which Moss?

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 02:45 PM
We shall see in time if this is so, once he's moved on. Right now I think Fairchild is an idiot and coaching has a lot to do with a qb's success or failure. I think no one could've succeeeded here. Not Eil, not Ben, not Rivers.

Ask Moran what he was thinking when he said he was ahuge Fairchild fan and followed his career in STL. Now he's fliplopping again.

I've never been a fan of Fairchild and think he hurt the Rams offense when Martz was gone personally. However here, he has to work with what he's got. When you have an inept QB that doesn't have a strong grasp of an NFL offense or defense, you're severly limited in what you can do.

And when your QB skips balls into the turf or turns it over, it doesn't reflect very well on you. Hence why most people dislike him or place blame at his feet.

The offensive gameplan is vanilla, no doubt. I don't dispute that. What I do dispute is that it's Fairchild's fault that it's so vanilla. I think it's the way it is out of necessity. Meaning, it has to be so boring, bland, predictable to give us any chance of success. Hell if I was the OC of this team and had Losman as my QB, I'd make sure he never threw the ball more than 15 times a game, no matter who the opposition was.

TacklingDummy
11-26-2007, 02:47 PM
which Moss?

Randy.

Then I would ask the Redskins if they would trade Santana Moss for Schobel.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 02:49 PM
I've never been a fan of Fairchild and think he hurt the Rams offense when Martz was gone personally. However here, he has to work with what he's got. When you have an inept QB that doesn't have a strong grasp of an NFL offense or defense, you're severly limited in what you can do.

And when your QB skips balls into the turf or turns it over, it doesn't reflect very well on you. Hence why most people dislike him or place blame at his feet.

The offensive gameplan is vanilla, no doubt. I don't dispute that. What I do dispute is that it's Fairchild's fault that it's so vanilla. I think it's the way it is out of necessity. Meaning, it has to be so boring, bland, predictable to give us any chance of success. Hell if I was the OC of this team and had Losman as my QB, I'd make sure he never threw the ball more than 15 times a game, no matter who the opposition was.

It isn't just about the pass . We can't even run the ball. If it wasn't for MArshawn lYnch's 2nd or 3rd effort every game , we'd be the worst team at running the ball.

OC's have done better with less talent.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Randy.

Then I would ask the Redskins if they would trade Santana Moss for Schobel.

Randy? haha! Dick can't even control Lee's mouth. Even Dick and Marv's own pick Whitner spoke out publicly in support of JP and you want Randy? that's a joke.

MarshawnIsDaMan
11-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Crennel really has nothing to do with the offense though. Chud's in charge of the offense and does what he sees fit. Chud runs a hybrid WCO and instructs DA to throw most passes high, because Cleveland's main weapons on O are big targets.

Crennel has his hand in the defense and oversees the team as a whole but really has no input on offensive decisions.

In fact, Chud and DA have saved Crennel's job.
How much do you think Jauron has to do with our offense? Do you think any at all? If it comes to a point, would you think Jauron takes over the offensive play calls like Mularkey did with Clements? Would you feel better if that happened?

John Doe
11-26-2007, 03:12 PM

This post is full of good points.

At the end of last year I thought that Fairchild did a great job with JP. He kept him out of situations where he would fail miserably, and every time that Evans was faced with certain defenses he would let JP go "up top" with the bomb - JP's strength. When JP ended up with a relatively high QB rating, it looked like a masterful job by the offensive co-ordinator.

I had a hard time believing that all the other teams had to do was force Losman into a short game continually and he would fail due to his lack of savvy, but that is really what happened. People were calling for a wide-open offense, but the coaches knew that would be a disaster.

It remains telling that for Edwards' first start, the coaches let him pass at will. They never had that kind of confidence in JP, and it was probably justified.

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 03:14 PM
It isn't just about the pass . We can't even run the ball. If it wasn't for MArshawn lYnch's 2nd or 3rd effort every game , we'd be the worst team at running the ball.

OC's have done better with less talent.

We can't run the ball because run blocking isn't this team's strong suit, we're a much better pass blocking team. Which yes is against the norm, usually pass blocking is more difficult than run blocking.

The main problem with our running game is the weak link in the middle named Melvin Fowler. The dude gets no push and opens no lanes, so any run up the middle is going nowhere and anything that's a counter is also dead.

McGahee ran into the same problem last year on runs up the gut.

Difference is, McGahee tried to dance to get by the DT who's collapsed down while Marshawn just goes forward and fights for yards.

Center is a HUGE priority for this team in the offseason and unfortunately from what I've seen it's a weak position in the draft. Through FA it doesn't look much better, Casey Wiegmann - KC, Jeremy Newberry - OAK, Jeff Faine and John Wade might have opt out clauses. Problem is the two guys who will be FAs aren't much better than what we've got. So I don't know if we can even upgrade the weak link on the line this offseason.

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
How much do you think Jauron has to do with our offense? Do you think any at all? If it comes to a point, would you think Jauron takes over the offensive play calls like Mularkey did with Clements? Would you feel better if that happened?

A defensive minded coach should NEVER take over the reigns on O. Period.

im4bflo
11-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Don't puss out already TE lovers, he better play better, or he's going to take it,
like YOU guys gave it out.
You :cry: and :cry: and now you've got what you want, GO EDWARDS!!!
We'll be :popcorn: watching!
GO EDWARDS!!!!

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
We can't run the ball because run blocking isn't this team's strong suit, we're a much better pass blocking team. Which yes is against the norm, usually pass blocking is more difficult than run blocking.

The main problem with our running game is the weak link in the middle named Melvin Fowler. The dude gets no push and opens no lanes, so any run up the middle is going nowhere and anything that's a counter is also dead.

McGahee ran into the same problem last year on runs up the gut.

Difference is, McGahee tried to dance to get by the DT who's collapsed down while Marshawn just goes forward and fights for yards.

Center is a HUGE priority for this team in the offseason and unfortunately from what I've seen it's a weak position in the draft. Through FA it doesn't look much better, Casey Wiegmann - KC, Jeremy Newberry - OAK, Jeff Faine and John Wade might have opt out clauses. Problem is the two guys who will be FAs aren't much better than what we've got. So I don't know if we can even upgrade the weak link on the line this offseason.

we can't run because of Fairchild. Marshawn does not get tackled coming form the middle only but everywhere. You can't place blame on Fowler alone. Remember Lynchs long TD against the bengals, he didn't get hit from the middle.

The weak link is Fairchild.

blackonyx89
11-26-2007, 03:28 PM
No matter what mistakes he made, he gets a pass because he's a rookie and he's learning the ropes. I hate the fact that Fairchild's going to stunt his growth like he did J.P.'s, but I hope he plays well in spite of Fairchild's idiocy!!!

:brush:

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 03:29 PM
we can't run because of Fairchild. Marshawn does not get tackled coming form the middle only but everywhere. You can't place blame on Fowler alone. Remember Lynchs long TD against the bengals, he didn't get hit from the middle.

The weak link is Fairchild.

Different game situation.

Obvious running play coming up, the Bengals had 9 guys up in the box. Notice there was only 2 guys who were downfield. The first guy that made contact with Lynch was the on the opposite side of where the run was going, the second was an unblocked DB. The third is a guy who came through when Fowler falls down.

The backside DE should never make a play on this one, he's inconsequential usually. The DB is unblocked because Reed had to seal the edge on the line. Then Fowler falls over and the third guy comes through the middle. After that Lynch breaks out and has no one to beat.

justasportsfan
11-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Different game situation.

Obvious running play coming up, the Bengals had 9 guys up in the box. Notice there was only 2 guys who were downfield. The first guy that made contact with Lynch was the on the opposite side of where the run was going, the second was an unblocked DB. The third is a guy who came through when Fowler falls down.

The backside DE should never make a play on this one, he's inconsequential usually. The DB is unblocked because Reed had to seal the edge on the line. Then Fowler falls over and the third guy comes through the middle. After that Lynch breaks out and has no one to beat.
and if wasn't for Lynch , busted call. Fairchilds fault.

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 03:35 PM
and if wasn't for Lynch , busted call. Fairchilds fault.

:rofl:

So at 2:35 left in the game with a lead, we shouldn't be calling running plays?

Maybe we shoulda call a bomb instead.

It's laughable at how some people will blame the stupid call-bomb vs Denver and then the smart call-run while leading and little time left on the guy who calls the play.

In the situation the run call is the right call, whether it works or not.