PDA

View Full Version : The D is The Real Concern - Giving Up 92 Points in 2 Weeks

Night Train
11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
1. They cannot get off the field on 3rd down.
2. Worst pass rush in the NFL.
3. Cover 2 coverage gaps are vast, allowing easy receptions in the middle of the field.
4. A shock when the opposing RB doesn't get 100 yards. It's basically a given.Tipplett and Kyle Williams keep getting blown out, up the middle.

We can scream 24/7 about the QB but unless the D learns how to force a punt, we're screwed.

Would we even consider a new scheme next year with actual size at DT ? Please don't make the injury argument. Poz can only do so much.

This Cover 2 may work other places but it fails miserably here and costs us too many games against quality opponents. Junk it.

Mahdi
11-26-2007, 01:26 PM
1. They cannot get off the field on 3rd down.
2. Worst pass rush in the NFL.
3. Cover 2 coverage gaps are vast, allowing easy receptions in the middle of the field.
4. A shock when the opposing RB doesn't get 100 yards. It's basically a given.Tipplett and Kyle Williams keep getting blown out, up the middle.

We can scream 24/7 about the QB but unless the D learns how to force a punt, we're screwed.

Would we even consider a new scheme next year with actual size at DT ? Please don't make the injury argument. Poz can only do so much.

This Cover 2 may work other places but it fails miserably here and costs us too many games against quality opponents. Junk it.
I think we are just missing one or 2 players to make the scheme work. We're great at forcing field goals but eventually if offenses get too many drives on us, especially starting in our half of the field due to turnovers yer going to surrender TDs.

Mr. Pink
11-26-2007, 01:28 PM
I think we are just missing one or 2 players to make the scheme work. We're great at forcing field goals but eventually if offenses get too many drives on us, especially starting in our half of the field due to turnovers yer going to surrender TDs.

You nailed it.

We need competent Offensive play for our D to work properly.

Of course, a couple ballhawks in the secondary would also help out a great deal. Forcing a couple turnovers a game would do wonders as well as a fully functioning offensive unit.

bigbub2352
11-26-2007, 01:30 PM
I think as long as we add a space eater DT to clog that middle, and we get Simpson, Poz back from injury our secondary will be strong with Whitner Simpson McGee and Greer, and then backups Wendling, Wilson, Leonard, maybe Scott, as well as Youboty, Thomas, and maybe Butler or Webster or go out and draft a CB or sign another one, then we really need a Pass Rusher, someone to spell the white boyz, as well as a good OLB, Dansby or Briggs, but realistically we r 3 players away from an outstanding D, the scheme on the other hand worries me

ddaryl
11-26-2007, 01:32 PM
p-a-s-s r-u-s-h

we need a stud DE that can wreak havoc and a DT that can hold the center of the line and tie up 2 blockers.

that's all the D needs IMO

Mahdi
11-26-2007, 01:34 PM
I think as long as we add a space eater DT to clog that middle, and we get Simpson, Poz back from injury our secondary will be strong with Whitner Simpson McGee and Greer, and then backups Wendling, Wilson, Leonard, maybe Scott, as well as Youboty, Thomas, and maybe Butler or Webster or go out and draft a CB or sign another one, then we really need a Pass Rusher, someone to spell the white boyz, as well as a good OLB, Dansby or Briggs, but realistically we r 3 players away from an outstanding D, the scheme on the other hand worries me
If Schobel doesnt pick up his game I would honestly consider trading him to Washington who would take him in a second. If its true that he did lose 20 pounds in the offseason then he better get them back because his sacks left with the weight.

HHURRICANE
11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
The funyy part is that the score of yesterday's game doesn't tell the story. The Bills were in this game late. The D did a good job of stuffing alot of the run.

Your O has to score more than 14 points and in doing so you keep the D off of the field/

bigbub2352
11-26-2007, 01:39 PM
If Schobel doesnt pick up his game I would honestly consider trading him to Washington who would take him in a second. If its true that he did lose 20 pounds in the offseason then he better get them back because his sacks left with the weight.

I was absolutly shocked when i read that in the preseason, does anyone on this team have an INSIDE MOVE, or do we like to form the perfect horseshoe for oppents Qbs to sit in safely, i would trade Schobel in a second, and give the job to Hargrove, i like Schobel, but he goes away too much, Kelsay was a bad signing as well, they both looked very over matched all year, maybe the DEs that were drafted for a different scheme in 01 and 03 are lless than average know in this badass cover two we run, i mean we dominate all the losing teams, good call DJ, and PW

Night Train
11-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Once again, your above points are valid ones, based on individual talent. I don't disagree we have some good players.

Yet you did see Schobel and Denney dropping off the line and trying to cover RB's and TE's in the flat on many occasions, did you not ? Were the LB's blitzing on the play ? The DB's ? You call that a smart D ? The QB's have ALL DAY to throw.

How about the DB's releasing WR's at the LOS to man an area, while the WR just drifts to a soft spot 10-15 yards over the middle, with no D players near him. Sitting in the stands, I see this ad nauseum each game and can't believe it continues.

bigbub2352
11-26-2007, 01:41 PM
The funyy part is that the score of yesterday's game doesn't tell the story. The Bills were in this game late. The D did a good job of stuffing alot of the run.

Your O has to score more than 14 points and in doing so you keep the D off of the field/
Also what helps ur arguement HH is the fact that the D is always on the feild, and even when they do make plays the offense gives the ball right back to the other team, either it be a 3 and out or JP doin what he does best turn the ball over

bigbub2352
11-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Once again, your above points are valid ones, based on individual talent. I don't disagree we have some good players.

Yet you did see Schobel and Denney dropping off the line and trying to cover RB's and TE's in the flat on many occasions, did you not ? Were the LB's blitzing on the play ? The DB's ? You call that a smart D ? The QB's have ALL DAY to throw.

How about the DB's releasing WR's at the LOS to man an area, while the WR just drifts to a soft spot 10-15 yards over the middle, with no D players near him. Sitting in the stands, I see this ad nauseum each game and can't believe it continues.
Couldnt agree more my friend, also how about the opening drive against NE when we only rushed 2, hmm that sure tells alot for what u are gonna be doing the rest of the game, this Scheme we are running is not to the talents of the team, and yes they have there moments, but doesnt every team, i really like the 4 yd gaps between our lineman on 1st and 2nd downs as well cause that does what?....exactly?