PDA

View Full Version : For all the talk about Fairchild being fired...

Mudflap1
11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Has anyone considered it could be as simple as this:

1. J.P. Losman can't make more than one or two progressions per play, ie he can't read a defense?

2. Trent Edwards is a rookie. To his credit, he's able to move the ball a little bit, but he's going to need substantially more playing time for us to see if he's got what it takes?

I believe that is the sad reality friends.

Jon

OpIv37
11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
oh please.

Taking Lynch out and putting A Train in on passing downs? Putting Reed in motion to the point of attack on every single running play? That ridiculous goal line wish-bone play that took a TD off the board? Total lack of deep shots down the field? Believe me, Fairchild is every bit as bad as it appears.

Mitchy moo
11-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Has anyone considered it could be as simple as this:

1. J.P. Losman can't make more than one or two progressions per play, ie he can't read a defense?

2. Trent Edwards is a rookie. To his credit, he's able to move the ball a little bit, but he's going to need substantially more playing time for us to see if he's got what it takes?

I believe that is the sad reality friends.

Jon

For Fairchild to even play JP after watching Trent play is grounds for termination. Trent looks like cool breeze himself out there and JP looks like he hit a breeze on the sideline after every series.

YardRat
11-26-2007, 04:50 PM
I think there are players on the field that need to be replaced before the OC is.

I also think it's comical that most of the excuses (i.e. we need a real #2, we need a real TE, we need a better o-line, etc) apply to the QB but not the offensive coordinator.

Some people forget about Joe Pendry, Kevin Gilbride, and the likes way too quickly.

Mudflap1
11-26-2007, 04:51 PM
oh please.

Taking Lynch out and putting A Train in on passing downs? Putting Reed in motion to the point of attack on every single running play? That ridiculous goal line wish-bone play that took a TD off the board? Total lack of deep shots down the field? Believe me, Fairchild is every bit as bad as it appears.

A-Train is a better blocker, particularly for the first half of the season, I don't think that's totally inexcusable. I agree with the wishbone play and the receivers in motion. I'm talking mostly about the QB play. If there's one thing going for us, it's that Edwards is smart. Hopefully that translates to him reading a defense.

Jon

mchurchfie
11-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Fairchild has no excuses now. He can open up the playbook with TE a little more because he can handle it mentally a lot better.

Mitchy moo
11-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Fairchild has no excuses now. He can open up the playbook with TE a little more because he can handle it mentally a lot better.

He can hand him a full no huddle attack now if he wants, we have seen it before.

mchurchfie
11-26-2007, 05:20 PM
If TE can do that already in just the short time he has started he can only get better. That is encouraging to me.

HHURRICANE
11-26-2007, 05:22 PM
If TE can do that already in just the short time he has started he can only get better. That is encouraging to me.

People forget that he looked pretty damn good as a rookie. Can't wait to watch Beck tonight.

Mudflap1
11-26-2007, 05:25 PM

Dude! Trent Edwards is a rookie. It's miraculous he was able to grasp enough of the offense in his first career start to run a no-huddle attack. That being said, you can't possibly expect him to grasp the entire playbook by now, can you? That takes a year or two, including offseasons, minimally.

All I want to see is progress from Trent Edwards. He was able to impress a lot of people by not being a complete disaster out on the field (as a lot of rookie QB's are), and was able to move the chains a bit, and hey, win some games. I just want to see him build on that. I'm not expecting miracles. But by mid-next season, I'm expecting a lot of progress.

Jon

mchurchfie
11-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Dude! Trent Edwards is a rookie. It's miraculous he was able to grasp enough of the offense in his first career start to run a no-huddle attack. That being said, you can't possibly expect him to grasp the entire playbook by now, can you? Jon
I said he can open up the playbook a LITTLE now. The fact that he was able to absorb that much in so little time is wonderful and shows he is pretty smart. I don't expect miracles, I just want to see some smart football played at the QB position instead of the sandlot bull**** we've been watching dating back to the RJ days. Fairchild can take off the kidgloves a little now so he let's see what he's got now.

Mitchy moo
11-26-2007, 05:49 PM
I said he can open up the playbook a LITTLE now. The fact that he was able to absorb that much in so little time is wonderful and shows he is pretty smart. I don't expect miracles, I just want to see some smart football played at the QB position instead of the sandlot bull**** we've been watching dating back to the RJ days. Fairchild can take off the kidgloves a little now so he let's see what he's got now.

Sweet!!

Mudflap1
11-26-2007, 05:51 PM

Agreed.

patmoran2006
11-26-2007, 05:53 PM
I think overall this is a really solid post.

1- JP is garbage and 2- Trent is just a young rookie who wasn't expected to play this year.

A few other points to consider as well Jon:

* As great as Marshawn has looked and likely will turn out, he's also a rookie and has made his share of mistakes, including in the passing/blocking game. This is coming from the biggest Lynch mark-maybe on this board other than Gr8.

* The offensive line is just starting to gel a little bit and get better acquainted with each other. Fowler is woefully weak at center which takes away some things we like to do.

* Last and CERTAINLY not least, the WR's simply do NOT get open consistently enough, and that includes Evans as well. There is no doubt they need another "legit" starting WR, and probably a better pass catching TE who can run more than a 4 yard route.

The few times we actually substain some drives with our offense Fairchild has made some good calls that work out; the Lynch TD pass and Parrish TD end around off the top of my head. Bottom line, is the players have to execute and they need some more talent.

Not saying I'm a fan of Fairchild staying, but I think he's taken FAR too much heat when we had either a QB who is still 100% clueless (not to mention a end-of-the-bench moper) and a rookie QB who has looked decent but still has a lot to learn (and will)

patmoran2006
11-26-2007, 05:55 PM
And without being purposely critical (cant help myself It's how I feel about him) it's hard to open up a full playbook to a QB who was half-******ed.

Philagape
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
People have criticized SF for being dink-and-dunk, but face it, we have dink-n-dunk receivers. Evans can't beat double coverage, and nobody else can be counted on to get open beyond 10 yards. The QB often has little choice but to check down.

mchurchfie
11-26-2007, 06:06 PM
The receivers are definitely to be held accountable but I think we could be a little more creative to spring these guys open a little more. A good example is that little WR swing pass to #83 that the Pats kept doing against Philly last night.

Mitchy moo
11-26-2007, 06:08 PM
And without being purposely critical (cant help myself It's how I feel about him) it's hard to open up a full playbook to a QB who was half-******ed.

That's brutal man.:bad:

Mudflap1
11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Pat,

Exactly what I'm saying, totally agree. I'm not saying Fairchild is all that and a bag of chips, but c'mon, let's get real here. We just don't have the horses! We have an offensive line that is somewhat improved over last year, but still has a pretty darn weak C. The wide receivers are okay, but we need a legit number two big target WR. We need a pass catching, athletic tight end with some speed. Lastly, we need a smart QB that can make most, if not all of the throws downfield, and understands the playbook. J.P. could make the throws, but he could not read the defenses, and would panic and make bad plays by forcing things too much. That's not on Fairchild, that's on Losman. Is Edwards the answer? I don't know. I hope so as a fan, but he's going to need some time. NFL QB's don't "get it" in a couple games. And they need a good supporting cast. If Edwards is being given the leniency, then Fairchild needs to be given it too.

The reason this is a dump-off passing team is because our guys aren't capable of doing anything else! We need some fresh meat this offseason...

Jon

Mitchy moo
11-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Pat,

Exactly what I'm saying, totally agree. I'm not saying Fairchild is all that and a bag of chips, but c'mon, let's get real here. We just don't have the horses! We have an offensive line that is somewhat improved over last year, but still has a pretty darn weak C. The wide receivers are okay, but we need a legit number two big target WR. We need a pass catching, athletic tight end with some speed. Lastly, we need a smart QB that can make most, if not all of the throws downfield, and understands the playbook. J.P. could make the throws, but he could not read the defenses, and would panic and make bad plays by forcing things too much. That's not on Fairchild, that's on Losman. Is Edwards the answer? I don't know. I hope so as a fan, but he's going to need some time. NFL QB's don't "get it" in a couple games. And they need a good supporting cast. If Edwards is being given the leniency, then Fairchild needs to be given it too.

The reason this is a dump-off passing team is because our guys aren't capable of doing anything else! We need some fresh meat this offseason...

Jon

How many times yesterday we're people wide open but no one was ready to pass to them. Everyone is open at one point normally but if the guy with the rock is a little to dense or out of position it means little.

I can remember where the announcer's specifically showed wide open people but JP never looked their way. You put the great one's behind center, they find that guy.

I remember watching Wayne Gretzky play hockey, he had one advantage over everyone out there. The game was way too slow for his mind, it was easy pickings. Add in talent around him and he was the great one. Tom Brady knows the game is slow for him, not a physical giant by any stretch but he knows what's coming and where everyone is. Instant reads and adjustments and a complete understanding of the offense, WR talent added in around him........

OpIv37
11-26-2007, 11:11 PM
A-Train is a better blocker, particularly for the first half of the season, I don't think that's totally inexcusable. I agree with the wishbone play and the receivers in motion. I'm talking mostly about the QB play. If there's one thing going for us, it's that Edwards is smart. Hopefully that translates to him reading a defense.

Jon

I half understand the A Train thing- Lynch is still learning to block. But at the same time, it's too predictable and it lets the other team tee off on the QB.

Hell, I've seen Gaines and Royal in the backfield this year- put both Lynch and A-Train in the backfield and let the D figure out who they want to cover.

No doubt the QB play from both QB's has been sub-par and hopefully that's just rookie inexperience from Edwards. That is an obstacle for Fairchild. But I still think he has made his own share of bonehead calls independently of the talent deficit.

The problem is that it's a self-perpetuating cycle. We have no run blocking so the run game isn't helping the QB, we're trying to evaluate a QB with sub-par receivers and vice versa, and we're trying to evaluate an OC with no QB, no receivers and no run blocking. What's the source of the problem? Who knows? It could be any one of the above or all of the above.

historypete
11-26-2007, 11:20 PM
I can't believe people are defending Fairchild.

Okay, even if he has a lack of talent to work with, and I think this offense has a lot of holes at WR and TE, that is still not an excuse for unimaginative gameplanning and playcalling.

It is the offensive coordinator's job to find ways to get his playmakers the ball. He can use bunch formations, five wides, spread the field to get Marshawn more running room, run multiple crossing patterns, clear-out routes. These are simple things he does not do to get guys open. He should put Evans in the slot, get Roscoe on the outside, maybe get Marshawn to motion out of the backfield and get a LB on him. Maybe get Gaines and Royal off the field and put in Lynch and Jackson or Lynch and Wright. Find matchups that work rather than waving the white flag from the very beginning.

JD
11-26-2007, 11:55 PM
I really think with the QB situation, JP is all too predictable.

Edwards is poised and spreads the ball around. He is not as mobile as JP but he is far smarter than JP.

I cant wait to see how he grows over the next 5 games. GO TRENT!!!!