PDA

View Full Version : What OC would you want in Buffalo if he were available?

njsue
11-27-2007, 06:32 AM
Norv Turner hands down.
Your thoughts.

SquishDaFish
11-27-2007, 06:39 AM
Norv would def top the list. I wouldnt mind going to one of the college coaches either

Kerr
11-27-2007, 06:48 AM
Norv Turner. He's a great OC, but not a very good HC. ****, Alex Smith and the 49ers offense had a decent season under him.

pcnorth22
11-27-2007, 07:19 AM
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2003_The_O.C./2003_the_oc_005.jpg

The King
11-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Tom Moore.

hurls
11-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Jason Garrett

DraftBoy
11-27-2007, 07:32 AM
1. Norm Chow
2. Steve Sarkisian

hurls
11-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Someone like USC? :D

R. Rich
11-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Michael Haywood

BuffaloBlakely14
11-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Josh McDaniels

NE Off Coord

I say hire him as the next HC to be honest with you. Or at least promise him the job when DJ is gone, if we are going to stick with him another year.

DraftBoy
11-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Someone like USC? :D
No I absolutely despise that dump for a school but I know talent when I see it and respect it.

alohabillsfan
11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
No I absolutely despise that dump for a school but I know talent when I see it and respect it.

What really has Steve Sarkisian done in one year as OC at USC that is so impressive?

DraftBoy
11-27-2007, 08:59 AM
What really has Steve Sarkisian done in one year as OC at USC that is so impressive?

Have you seen whose actually playing there? He's got one viable weapon outside of freshman who traditionally struggle without a good OC to guide them. And isnt this his 2nd year?

Mr. Pink
11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Bill Callahan

madness
11-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Have you seen whose actually playing there? He's got one viable weapon outside of freshman who traditionally struggle without a good OC to guide them. And isnt this his 2nd year?

hmm... sounds like our current OC.

Romes
11-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Bill Callahan

Interesting. He did wonders with an ageing Gannon, ageing Tim Brown and little else.

historypete
11-27-2007, 10:27 AM
I think Bill Callahan would be interesting. He is a horrible HC, but as an offensive mind he is excellent. As bad as Nebraska was this year, his offense did move the ball and score points. The same happened in Oakland.

I would actually give Van Pelt a look. I know he doesn't have the experience, but then again neither did Jason Garrett in Dallas and look at what he has done. But then again he has a ton of talent to work with. I think Van Pelt has the mental ability to be a great coordinator. He played in aggressive, attack style offenses as a player. He was considered an extremely bright football player who just didn't have the physical skills to play every down at the NFL level. I would give Van Pelt the offensive coordinator duties these last five weeks and see if he can change anything.

Sarkisian would be interesting also, but I don't see him leaving USC. He turned down an offer to come to the NFL last year, and I doubt he would leave there for here. But it would be worth a shot.

I would love to try and pull Mike Martz away from Detroit, but Ralph won't pay and the only way we get him here is by making HC, and I don't think he is a good HC.

I wouldn't mind Norm Chow either, but he would be impossible to get away from Tennessee.

Mudflap1
11-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Steve Sarkisian has been the offensive coordinator at USC since Norm Chow left. He was "co-coordinator" with Lane Kiffin, but now, obviously, Kiffin is in Choke-land.

I don't think Norv gets dumped this year unless the Chargers are below .500. A.J. Smith has too big of an ego to admit he was wrong and fire him after one year.

Garrett is not going to leave Dallas where's getting paid big bucks to come to Buffalo, unless it's a head coaching gig, and he'll probably get more lucrative offers to be a head coach somewhere else than Buffalo. He's probably the top up and coming candidate. We never get those guys.

Norm Chow has personality issues. While smart and creative, he's somewhat aloof. I don't think we want him as a head coach. Coordinator? Perhaps, but why would he leave Vince Young and co. to come work for us?

Sarkisian? Why would he leave USC as offensive coordinator to come to Buffalo as an offensive coordinator? Frankly, it's at least a step sideways, if not a step backwards for him. He's going to wait until he gets a head coaching gig.

I could see us hiring Kragthorpe as the offensive coordinator, the coach now at Louisville. He was the QB coach here a few years ago. Too bad, because I don't think he's very good.

We have to stop with all of the "we're going to get the cream of the crop" thinking. It's nice for a wishlist, but we never get those guys.

For head coach, the best, most realistic candidate we can get is Schottenheimer. He has ties to Buffalo, he wins, but he's also got some issues, so he's not going to be at the top of everyone's list. Forget Cowher, Pete Carroll, or any of those kind of guys. They are out of our league. In fact, forget all of them, because Jauron isn't going anywhere after this year.

As for offensive coordinator (if Fairchild gets fired, a big "if"), I see us taking another no-name position coach from somewhere, or a mid-tier college head coach with an offensive mind. I don't see any big names, unless it's a retread, like Gilbride was.

But to answer the question, who would I want? I'd want Mike Martz. You know we'd score some points then!

Jon

justasportsfan
11-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Anyone but Fairchild. I'll even take Tom Clemens or Gilbride back as long as Fairchild is gone as OC. I wouldn't mind Fairchild being demoted to rb coach though.

trapezeus
11-27-2007, 10:49 AM
i'd take a 10year old with at least 3 years Madden experience at this point, and i'd expect the team to more dynamic and exciting under the kid's direction.

bigbub2352
11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Ted Marchabroda

The offensive cordinator of the Cowboys, Jason Garrett
the offensive cordinator of the Colts
and the guy from NE Josh Mcdaneils

colin
11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
june jones.

he'd put in a more run centric crazy O and with just one more wr we'd have all the speed we need.

i really think with trent's ability to read and quick throw along w our giant line we could run an O like that and still control the ball. our running backs would get a good head of steam through holes and if we pulled against dbs we could break big runs.

njsue
11-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Norv would def top the list. I wouldnt mind going to one of the college coaches either

Would you not want a proven winner first. I do not watch that much of college football. What coach could you say would fit the profile of a Winnable OC?

njsue
11-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Bill Callahan
He is available!

The Answer
11-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Ted Marchabroda

The offensive cordinator of the Cowboys, Jason Garrett
the offensive cordinator of the Colts
and the guy from NE Josh Mcdaneils

Sigh...it's hard to believe we once had such a potent, explosive offense like the k-gun days considering how pathetic our offenses have been the last 10 years....

~The Answer

Mr. Pink
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
He is available!

Yes he is! Hence why I mentioned him. nebraska fired him and he did a good job with the Oakland offense in his last stint in the NFL.

Terrible HC, Outstanding OC

njsue
11-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Yes he is! Hence why I mentioned him. nebraska fired him and he did a good job with the Oakland offense in his last stint in the NFL.
Terrible HC, Outstanding OC
He got a raw deal with Gruden in the superbowl. As gruden had it way to easy with that SB win.

PECKERWOOD
11-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Rip Scherer
Assistant HC/OC Al Saunders
Assistant HC/OC Mike Tice
Pat Shurmur
James Campen

alohabillsfan
11-27-2007, 12:06 PM

Yes, I have , do tell more please?

DraftBoy
11-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Yes, I have , do tell more please?
Well seeing that he has all of two players worth being taken on Day 1, and one last year, their offense has done wonders with limited talent. Anybody who can get JD Booty to play the way he has and handle a plethora of running backs with losing only 1 deserves a huge pat on the back. To ignore the progress USC has made offensively despite its enormous loss of talent is crazy.

Mudflap1
11-27-2007, 12:43 PM
june jones.

he'd put in a more run centric crazy O and with just one more wr we'd have all the speed we need.

i really think with trent's ability to read and quick throw along w our giant line we could run an O like that and still control the ball. our running backs would get a good head of steam through holes and if we pulled against dbs we could break big runs.

I think June Jones is a great offensive mind, but what would you rather do -- be paid handsomely to coach Hawaii (which entails living in OAHU) with a team that is a winner and putting up record offensive numbers, or leave it all to go back to the NFL and specifically the climately-challenged Buffalo, NY area and coach under Dick Jauron, Marv Levy, and Ralph Wilson for, likely, a discounted salary? C'mon, the guy has a dream job right now.

Jon

PECKERWOOD
11-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Despite what happened to Tice in Minnesota I think that he would be a great fit for us. :pray:

The Answer
11-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Mike Mularkey is one of the great offensive minds in football......:couch:

~The Answer

PECKERWOOD
11-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Mike Mularkey is one of the great offensive minds in football......:couch:

~The Answer

Honestly? I'd take Mularkey over Fairchild right now, I'm not playin.

bigbub2352
11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Mularkey is a loser, sorry he sucked in maimi as well, anyone can call plays when u got an awesome offense like he had in Pitt, **** Mularkey

DynaPaul
11-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Marty Schottenheimer

justasportsfan
11-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Well seeing that he has all of two players worth being taken on Day 1, and one last year, their offense has done wonders with limited talent. Anybody who can get JD Booty to play the way he has and handle a plethora of running backs with losing only 1 deserves a huge pat on the back. To ignore the progress USC has made offensively despite its enormous loss of talent is crazy.

I love coaches who can bring out the best in players regardless of talent level. This is why I envy the PAts so much.

Kerr
11-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Callahan? Realistic choice. I like it.