PDA

View Full Version : Awful season in the NFL

OpIv37
11-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Forget about records, standings, and statistics for a minute.

We've seen the careers and possibly the lives of 3 NFL athletes in their prime ruined this season.

Michael Vick was not a great QB but he was a great athlete. Because of his own stupidity, he is now going to spend the next few years behind bars. There is a chance he could make a comeback, but not much of one. The guy was struggling to learn the QB position when he was practicing and he sure as hell isn't going to learn it in a 6' by 12' cell. His is perhaps the worst because it was the only one directly attributed to his own actions.

Next, of course, was Kevin Everrett. The guy was finally showing some promise after two years in the league, and in a split second his career is over and his life is changed forever. The good news for Everrett is that the Bills medical staff pretty much wrote the book on how to handle that type of tragedy, and while he still has a long and difficult recovery ahead of him, it looks like he'll be able to live a relatively "normal" life off the football field.

And now we have Sean Taylor. Let's not allow our emotions to let us revise history. Taylor was a troublemaker and lived a lifestyle that greatly increases the risk of encountering this type of violence. However, there is no proof yet and nothing he could have done gave anyone else the right to break into his house and shoot him. Mindless, horrific violence ended a promising football career and his life.

IMO, Vick is the worst of the bunch because his fall from grace is directly attributable to his own actions. Everrett and Taylor met with unfortunate tragedy. One could make the argument that Taylor was responsible for what happened to him to some degree, but it's an extremely weak argument because nothing excuses what was done to him (and there's no proof at this point to suggest it was retribution).

Regardless, the end result is the same- three football careers are ruined, one life is ended and two more are changed forever.

What an awful season.

hydro
11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Not to mention that injuries in general have plagued every team this year. Not just us...

mybills
11-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Amen. :(

Mr. Miyagi
11-27-2007, 08:59 AM
DJ Williams and Damion Nash too.

Romes
11-27-2007, 09:00 AM
unfortunatley, you are exactly right on about this season. Its been a tragic year for the NFL. good post.

Mad Bomber
11-27-2007, 09:05 AM
:bf1: Very well said.

TacklingDummy
11-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I'd rather be in prison for 1-2 years then be dead.

Taylor is the worst story of the year.

OpIv37
11-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I'd rather be in prison for 1-2 years then dead.

Taylor is the worst story of the year.

well obviously the consequences were the worst for Taylor but I don't think there is much he or Everrett could have done to prevent what happened to them- sometimes tragedies occur and it's no one's fault.

But Vick's is the worst in the sense that it was entirely preventable. If the guy had one functioning brain cell- or if someone close to him smacked him upside the head and told him to get his **** together- he'd still be a free man playing football. He did it to himself.

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 09:17 AM
That is a hard debate. Even though Vick could have prevented it, he is still breathing.

This whole season is getting worse.

Michael82
11-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Good post, but don't forget about the two Broncos players that died this year before the season....

Darrent Williams was a young up and coming cornerback from the Denver Broncos. He was really starting to become a good player and looked like he may be a star in the league. He got shot coming home from a New Years party and died in Javon Walker's arms. :(

Damien Nash was a 25-year old running back for the Denver Broncos and he was pushing for more playing time as they had a big hole at RB on the team. He collapsed and died after a charity basketball game. :(

Michael82
11-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Then of course you have all the players that were getting arrested before the season and were suspended, like Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson, Chris Henry. This has definitely been one of the worst seasons for off the field and tragedies in a long time. :ill:

don137
11-27-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't care if Taylor was a thug or not this is the saddest news of any story in the NFL this year. While Kevin Everett is a sad story it is also a feel good story in that he will be able to walk again.

Throw in the fact the Patriots look unstoppable and it appears the Bills wasted four years on Losman, 2007 is definitely one to forget other then Miami winless after 11 games.

Michael82
11-27-2007, 09:31 AM
I don't care if Taylor was a thug or not this is the saddest news of any story in the NFL this year. While Kevin Everett is a sad story it is also a feel good story in that he will be able to walk again.

Throw in the fact the Patriots look unstoppable and it appears the Bills wasted four years on Losman, 2007 is definitely one to forget other then Miami winless after 11 games.
I think that the Darrent Williams story was just as sad. He was actually one of the players that cleaned himself up and got away from the "thug life". He wasn't involved with those guys that shot him, but he was just riding in his limo back home after celebrating with his teammates and friends on New Years.

The King
11-27-2007, 09:41 AM
The Pats had a Lineman die in a jet skiing accident too.

Michael82
11-27-2007, 09:43 AM
The Pats had a Lineman die in a jet skiing accident too.
That's right. I forgot all about Marquise Hill :(

G. Host
11-27-2007, 09:44 AM
well obviously the consequences were the worst for Taylor but I don't think there is much he or Everrett could have done to prevent what happened to them- sometimes tragedies occur and it's no one's fault.

There is plenty Taylor could have done. He had a previous break-in eight days earlier and had lots of capital. He could have moved thinking he was a target, hired a body guard or hired a security firm to upgrade the security of his house. He knew he was in danger because he kept a machette for protection.

It was not his fault but it is not like he was a poor person who could not change his circumstances.

R. Rich
11-27-2007, 09:48 AM
This story is worse
No, this story is worse

repeat ad nauseum

Mitchy moo
11-27-2007, 09:48 AM

I agree, Vick can come back and unless Taylor is resurrected he is not. Taylor regardless of lifestyle did not deserve to get shot dead. To me personally, this young father getting killed is the worst of them all. I guess because I am a father as well and love raising my kids this is how I am looking at it.

don137
11-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I think that the Darrent Williams story was just as sad. He was actually one of the players that cleaned himself up and got away from the "thug life". He wasn't involved with those guys that shot him, but he was just riding in his limo back home after celebrating with his teammates and friends on New Years.
Agreed that it was just as sad but I kind of equate it as falling in the 2006 season.

patmoran2006
11-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Forgot to mention that scumbag PacMan Jones

mybills
11-27-2007, 11:58 AM
This story is worse
No, this story is worse

repeat ad nauseum
:bf1:

They're all bad & sad.
:ill:

R. Rich
11-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Forgot to mention that scumbag PacMan Jones

That story was barely a blip on the radar screen. Easy to miss.

Jeff1220
11-27-2007, 12:27 PM
To add to the idea that it is an awful year for the NFL, we also have the cheating scandal, giving us the general knowledge that a team that won three SBs this decade are cheaters and likely cheated in the SBs. This tarnishes the whole league's credibility imo, not just the Pats.

Johnny Bugmenot
11-27-2007, 12:31 PM
To add to the idea that it is an awful year for the NFL, we also have the cheating scandal, giving us the general knowledge that a team that won three SBs this decade are cheaters and likely cheated in the SBs. This tarnishes the whole league's credibility imo, not just the Pats.

And the NFL sat by and did nothing when they circumvented the supposed punishments, and rewarded them with an extra national game.

Goodell's legacy.

OpIv37
11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
And the NFL sat by and did nothing when they circumvented the supposed punishments, and rewarded them with an extra national game.

Goodell's legacy.

actually, 2 national games and counting.

Elminster
11-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Lots of players dying young, KE's career being ended(and very nearly his life as well), lots of players doing dumb things and getting in trouble, the cavalier and unsportsmanlike cheater Patriots.....that's not even touching on us in any localized way, but this year sucks. I think there's no discussion on that. Not even the Phish going winless or Trent Edwards going to the Pro Bowl could ever make that better.

TacklingDummy
11-27-2007, 10:15 PM

Do you think the Pats are the only team that has cheated?

Every time they show a coach on a sidelines he is covering up his mouth with his clipboard. He must be doing this for a reason.

Johnny Bugmenot
11-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Do you think the Pats are the only team that has cheated?

Does it matter? I don't care if it's only New England or if it's the entire bleeping league. It's cheating, and New England is gaining an obvious advantage from it (as demonstrated by the record) and the league is letting it pass.

imbondz
11-27-2007, 10:52 PM
whatever. If the Bills we're leading the division and all this happened, it'd be the best season ever. Or, if the Pansies lose in the playoffs, it'll be a great season

im4bflo
11-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Does it matter? I don't care if it's only New England or if it's the entire bleeping league. It's cheating, and New England is gaining an obvious advantage from it (as demonstrated by the record) and the league is letting it pass.

Yeah, it's like the league is saying, see what cheating gets you,
more prime time games, more wins, and SuperBowls.
Great thing for the kids growing up watching the NFL nowadays.

tat2dmike77
11-27-2007, 11:18 PM
All these stories suck yes but you know what is called LIFE. People make dumb choice sometimes, sometimes your life changes because of your head was an 1/8 of an inch the wrong way, and criminols continue to do what they want no matter what it takes.

I'm sick of mike vick i really am. I wish it would go away we get it he did some bad stuff now let him go to jail and move on.

KE is not a crap story. Well depending on how you look at it. If you look at it as simply a football standpoint then yes it is a crappy story. Let's not forget the doctors all agreed that he would NEVER walk again. Calling it catostrophic and that he could still loose his life. I have to say with all that has turned around in his life he is a great story. It's only football and it's just a game. Obviously playing professional football for 10 years or so was not in his deck of cards. We should all just be happy he is able to go to the store without a wheelchair.

As far as sean taylor well i didn't care much for him as a player. But i feel bad for his fam. I hate criminols that use violence to get thier way. And for what? Just so they could steal from a man that works for his things. The truely sad part is this happens on a daily basis and nobody ever talks about it. Criminols piss me off robbing and murdering people just because they want what they have instead of working for it like a decent person. I hope they find the people that shot him.

I know someone posted in here that he could of prevented this. Because he slept with a machete for protection. Big deal how many of you have guns in your bedroom for the same reason. I have a ASP in my room ready for an intruder. I know this person said he could of hired a security company or bodyguards. Which your right but lets be honest how many NFL players are going to hire a body guard? I mean think about it these guys play the most violent game around. They think thier invinceable and i'm sure ego may of been a factor in not hiring a body guard/security company. In any case i think the guys who did this are low life pieces of crap.

G. Host
11-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Sounds like the news reporter is an Op reader.

<TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>
NFL's newest dark cloud
</TD></TR><TR><TD height="7"><SPACER height="1" width="1" type="block"></TD></TR>http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-nfltragedies112707&prov=yhoo&type=lgns