PDA

View Full Version : What is the trade value now for JP Losman?

bigbub2352
11-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Now that JP is done as a bill, we will not pay his salary to be a back up, so that leaves us with 3 options
1. trade
2. cut renagotiate his contract and he stays as back up
3. release we get nothing but a cap hit

i think 2 will not happen
What can we get for him, i would hold out for a 3rd, but probably be a 4th or 5th

Chicago is listening from what i heard

dannyek71
11-27-2007, 01:33 PM
maybe a 6th for him. Frye got a 5th for cle and I think JP has more potential

PECKERWOOD
11-27-2007, 01:35 PM
4th-5th hopefully. He would make a good project for a team that already has their starter.

Jaybird
11-27-2007, 01:41 PM
3rd maybe a team would give up a second, but i can see us getting a third. He has an arm and can scramble.

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 01:50 PM
4th or 5th. I highly doubt he'll get more than that.

LtBillsFan66
11-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Maybe a bag of footballs.

trapezeus
Detroit will trade us Ray Shepard back for Losman and the bag of pucks.

TacklingDummy
He'll be part time starter next year. He is going no where.

patmoran2006
11-27-2007, 01:55 PM
3rd maybe a team would give up a second, but i can see us getting a third. He has an arm and can scramble.

So can DAvid Carr.

LOL, that is NOT happening.

Teams are drafting their and grooming their own. We'll be LUCKY to get a 5th or 6th for him. His trade value is squat.

DraftBoy
11-27-2007, 02:03 PM
6th-7th

Mr. Pink
11-27-2007, 02:07 PM
5th at best...likely a 6th.

bigbub2352
11-27-2007, 02:24 PM
U guys have to take into account that there arent too many qb prospects coming out usually like 3 or 4 at the most, and there are only 15 good starters in the league now, someone might bite at 3-4th rounder if or managemnt sells his age and exp, but this is proally wishful thinking

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Charlie Frye got a 5th right?

I'd say that Losman is much better than Frye.

The Answer
11-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Despite what most of us know about him and his ability (or lack thereof) - there's probably a team stupid enough to give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for him thinking the whole 'change of scenary' thing will somehow magically transform Losman into a competent NFL QB.

Realistically even if we get a 7th that's highway robbery at this point.

~The Answer

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Despite what most of us know about him and his ability (or lack thereof) - there's probably a team stupid enough to give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for him thinking the whole 'change of scenary' thing will somehow magically transform Losman into a competent NFL QB.

Realistically even if we get a 7th that's highway robbery at this point.

~The Answer

In the same way that the Losman "supporters" have to face facts, so do Losman bashers.

He is worth a 5th.

The King
11-27-2007, 02:31 PM
I would say about three Trent Edwards rookie cards should about do it

The Answer
11-27-2007, 02:31 PM
In the same way that the Losman "supporters" have to face facts, so do Losman bashers.

He is worth a 5th.

He's definitely worth more than Charlie Frye per your other post - but most teams would probably want to draft a rookie in rounds 3 - 7 and hope they find a diamond in the rough as opposed to giving a 1st round bust another chance.

~The Answer

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 02:37 PM
He's definitely worth more than Charlie Frye per your other post - but most teams would probably want to draft a rookie in rounds 3 - 7 and hope they find a diamond in the rough as opposed to giving a 1st round bust another chance.

~The Answer

Detroit got a 6th for Joey Harrington. And I know it would be a 5th based on certain playing time conditions and I'm not sure what it ended up being but if Detroit got that for Harrington I'm sure Buffalo can find someone to take Losman for the same or more.

THATHURMANATOR
11-27-2007, 02:39 PM
He really isn't making that much money is he? :idunno:

Why the need to trade him?

Mr. Pink
11-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Charlie Frye got a 5th right?

I'd say that Losman is much better than Frye.

Honestly, they're about equal.

Hold the ball too long, fumble/turn it over too much, lock on to one guy much too often. Didn't sustain drives. Tried to rely on athleticism to make plays. Similiarly both had good relationships with the top receiver on the team too.

Cleveland was just lucky to unload him during the season when there is no fa qb's or draft pick QBs against him.

Trading mediocre players around the draft becomes harder and you get even less value for them.

The King
11-27-2007, 02:45 PM
He really isn't making that much money is he? :idunno:

Why the need to trade him?

his pride will keep him from playing here.

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 02:48 PM
I doubt he would want to stay as the backup which is the reason for the discussion.

I'd also like to note Patrick Ramsey got a 6th rounder and Tony Banks was traded although I can't find out what it was for.

Regardless, those players were given another chance along with players like David Carr, Charlie Batch, Jake Plummer, etc. Those ones were FA's but it proves the point that the QB usually gets a second chance before being thrown to the dumps.

EDS
11-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Bills will be lucky to get a 5th given the comp teams got for failed QB's like Leftwich, Carr, Harrington, Ramsey, etc.

The Answer
11-27-2007, 02:50 PM
It would be freaking hilarious if he ends up in Baltimore reunited with mcgahee - plus you'd have two first round busts competing for the starting job there.

~The Answer

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Baltimore came to mind when I was thinking of teams that would take him but I kind of leaned away from Baltimore since they've been dealing with Kyle Boller for so many years who reminds me of Losman.

Mr. Pink
11-27-2007, 02:58 PM
U guys have to take into account that there arent too many qb prospects coming out usually like 3 or 4 at the most, and there are only 15 good starters in the league now, someone might bite at 3-4th rounder if or managemnt sells his age and exp, but this is proally wishful thinking

Woodson, Brohm, Brennan, Henne, Ryan at the very least will be Day 1 picks.

Here's a list of potential teams needing/wanting to draft a QB.

Ravens, Jags, Falcons, 49ers-depending on Smith's injury, Bears, Vikings, Panthers, Pack - if Favre retires.

So there's possibly 8 teams who would draft a QB on day 1. Only 5 are definites. 5 definites, at least 5 first day QB prospects.

Now by each team listed.

Ravens Boller = Losman, Dunno how Troy Smith has looked. McNair likely done.
Jags - need a backup more than a starter, they brought Couch in for a tryout. possible landing spot for JP.
Falcons - Harrington = Losman, they already took on TWO teams garbage at the position, I doubt they go to a 3rd teams.
49ers - Alex Smith is looking like a bust, but he's had shoulder problems all year. They likely don't draft a QB in round 1 and if they stick with Smith, Dilfer is a more than capable backup
Bears - Grossman is a FA and likely gone, Griese is terrible. Technically they could add JP and have more garbage, but likely to draft a QB in RD 1.
Vikings - I'd love for JP to go here and lose the backup job to Holcomb honestly, but they're drafting another QB after Travaris has looked lost.
Panthers - Already have Delhomme and Carr. Carr = JP. Interceptaverde will play til he collects social security apparently. They already took a chance on one bust QB last year, odds are they don't do it again.
Packers - Favre ain't retiring. Rodgers is rotting on the bench. No need for JP.

If I'm forgetting any teams that might need a starter, please list them. But no one is gonna give up more than a 5th on a backup. And most of these teams are gonna look draftward, especially with Brohm, Woodson and Ryan.

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Off the top of my head I could see KC, CHI, MIN, TB, ATL, and SF maybe wanting him as a backup.

Minnesota seems like a pretty good landing spot unless they draft someone on Day 1.

justasportsfan
11-27-2007, 03:06 PM
just because some of us think he's a back up, doesn't mean another coach see's him that way . It's not like the bills are coached by someone who has a track record of developing HOF qb's.

The King
11-27-2007, 03:07 PM
I put 5,000zbs on the fact that he isnt picked up to be a starter.

bigbub2352
11-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Woodson, Brohm, Brennan, Henne, Ryan at the very least will be Day 1 picks.

Here's a list of potential teams needing/wanting to draft a QB.

Ravens, Jags, Falcons, 49ers-depending on Smith's injury, Bears, Vikings, Panthers, Pack - if Favre retires.

So there's possibly 8 teams who would draft a QB on day 1. Only 5 are definites. 5 definites, at least 5 first day QB prospects.

Now by each team listed.

Ravens Boller = Losman, Dunno how Troy Smith has looked. McNair likely done.
Jags - need a backup more than a starter, they brought Couch in for a tryout. possible landing spot for JP.
Falcons - Harrington = Losman, they already took on TWO teams garbage at the position, I doubt they go to a 3rd teams.
49ers - Alex Smith is looking like a bust, but he's had shoulder problems all year. They likely don't draft a QB in round 1 and if they stick with Smith, Dilfer is a more than capable backup
Bears - Grossman is a FA and likely gone, Griese is terrible. Technically they could add JP and have more garbage, but likely to draft a QB in RD 1.
Vikings - I'd love for JP to go here and lose the backup job to Holcomb honestly, but they're drafting another QB after Travaris has looked lost.
Panthers - Already have Delhomme and Carr. Carr = JP. Interceptaverde will play til he collects social security apparently. They already took a chance on one bust QB last year, odds are they don't do it again.
Packers - Favre ain't retiring. Rodgers is rotting on the bench. No need for JP.

If I'm forgetting any teams that might need a starter, please list them. But no one is gonna give up more than a 5th on a backup. And most of these teams are gonna look draftward, especially with Brohm, Woodson and Ryan.

Ok so what part of wishful thinking didnt u read?
Brennan and Henne are gonna be bums, and all i was saying is there is always a market for first round bust QBs already in league that people trade for or sign every year
Leftwich
carr
harrington
i dont think we will get much for JP i will just be happy with something other than releasing him
alot has been given up on potential too
look at what miami gave up for Feely, we gave up for RJ, houston gave up for Schaub, seattle gave up for Frye,
vets who we knew werent gonna do ****
Bledsoe
feidler
green
all were traded for

The Answer
11-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Baltimore came to mind when I was thinking of teams that would take him but I kind of leaned away from Baltimore since they've been dealing with Kyle Boller for so many years who reminds me of Losman.

He'll definitely get a shot on another team because he's still young and there's a lot of teams with bad QB situations. Some possible destinations where he could START:

Minny (Reunited with The Holcombator)
Det (Kitna is old and if they don't make the playoffs will probably be gone)
GB (If Favre retires he can compete with Rogers)
Chi (Compete with or replace his twin grossman)
Bal (Compete with his other twin Boller, McNair is definitely finished)
TB (Gruden loves stockpiling former busts and mediorce veteran QB's)
Car (If a 45 year old dinosaur is the best QB on that team than certainly losman has a chance there)
SF (Alex Smith is a bigger bust than Losman)

Or if he's content just being a back up there are a ton of other teams that would probably take a look as well....

~The Answer

justasportsfan
11-27-2007, 03:10 PM
I put 5,000zbs on the fact that he isnt picked up to be a starter. Will you settle for a qb competition?

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 03:12 PM
I put 5,000zbs on the fact that he isnt picked up to be a starter.

While you're at it I'll put down another 5,000 zbs that you will probably go to sleep sometime tonight.

Mitchy moo
I would say about three Trent Edwards rookie cards should about do it

He'll get packaged with a draft pick for us to move up the chart to grab someone.

LtBillsFan66
I think we can get an undrafted FA in next years draft for him.

Mr. Pink
11-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Will you settle for a qb competition?

I'll put 2,000 ZBs that next year he won't even be a number 2 on anyone's depth chart on opening day 2008 with the following disclaimer...

Our coaching is so ******ed that if he stays here, he's gonna be the 2.

justasportsfan
11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
I'll put 2,000 ZBs that next year he won't even be a number 2 on anyone's depth chart on opening day 2008 with the following disclaimer...

with another team? You're on.

The King
11-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Thats a bold move. He could easily be a #2 providing he's not completely ******ed. That arm is enough to give him a shot.

justasportsfan
11-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Thats a bold move. He could easily be a #2 providing he's not completely ******ed. That arm is enough to give him a shot. or maybe another coach can prove that Fairchild is the one ******ed.

Mr. Pink
11-27-2007, 03:19 PM
with another team? You're on.

:up:

trapezeus
11-27-2007, 03:20 PM
in seriousness, i'd say that an NFC team in a weak division has to look at losman very seriously. he's played well against weak teams. and if he plays in the NFC west and gets a cushy schedule, he probably could make the playoffs with that team. However, the playoffs would be heartbreaking for his new team.

I trust that some other team, and some coach driven on ego would love the losman project. it's kind of like bledsoe. The natural talent is there....it's about harnessing for your own good. Like solar energy. the potential is there, figuring it out is such a pain.

The King
11-27-2007, 03:21 PM
or maybe another coach can prove that Fairchild is the one ******ed.

I understand you like JP but Fairchild has nothing to do with JP's ability to make a decision under pressure. Thats my biggest knock on the kid. He says all the right things and has a cannon. But he folds like oragami under pressure.

Mr. Pink
11-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Thats a bold move. He could easily be a #2 providing he's not completely ******ed. That arm is enough to give him a shot.

I've seen enough ground balls and overthrows...staring down one receiver...terrible ball security and the fact he can't read a defense meaning he wouldn't even be good in a "tutoring role" that I would gather most teams wouldn't want him on the roster let alone be their primary backup.

I left the disclaimer up because it's possible that this organization will overvalue him come draft time, get no offers they "like" and he stays here as the 2.

Historian
11-27-2007, 03:24 PM
A used a line painting machine....

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 03:24 PM
My final two cents on the issue.

Joey Harrington has started for two other teams since his tenure in Detroit. There is no doubt in my mind that someone will want Losman as the primary backup and possibly a potential starter.

justasportsfan
11-27-2007, 03:27 PM
I understand you like JP. I'm not a JP fan if that's what you mean.
but Fairchild has nothing to do with JP's ability to make a decision under pressure.. the PAts won a sb with Antoine Smith as the featured back and the Ravens won with Dilfer. A coach who knows his stuff could make something out of JP's athleticism.

Someones garbage could be someone elses treasure.

Jp is young. Seau is old and he's playing fullback for the PAts. Why? Coaching.

Thats my biggest knock on the kid. He says all the right things and has a cannon. But he folds like oragami under pressure.. Under the right schemes , he wouldn't need to be under pressure. Tell me which qb doesn't fold under pressure? Brady sure does when his OL doesn't show up.

Disclaimer: I'm not sayng JP has what it takes either. It's just that Fairchild leaves me room for doubt that maybe it's not the player. It's the coach. We're at the bottom of the league offensively and good at nothing. You've got team playing better with less talent at rb and OL.

The King
11-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Under the right schemes , he wouldn't need to be under pressure. Tell me which qb doesn't fold under pressure? Brady sure does when his OL doesn't show up.

I catch your drift.... on the other points sure. But Brady might be the best pressure QB I have ever seen.

justasportsfan
11-27-2007, 03:32 PM
I catch your drift.... on the other points sure. But Brady might be the best pressure QB I have ever seen.

I agree but he also has the best coach who can change the momentum of a game.

When the fins beat him in the past, it's because they got to him.

Mr. Pink
11-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Jp is young. Seau is old and he's playing fullback for the PAts. Why? Coaching.

Under the right schemes , he wouldn't need to be under pressure. Tell me which qb doesn't fold under pressure? Brady sure does when his OL doesn't show up.

Problem is coaching doesn't solve overthrows/underthrows without investing a lot of time with no guarantees. It would take at least a year, if not longer, to fix his poor mechanics which cause him to do both with alarmingly regularity. Who's willing to invest that time into something that might not come into fruition?

Coaching also doesn't teach reading a defense - you got it or you don't. Touch? again, you got it or you don't. Reading a corner blitz? You either see it or you don't.

Most of JPs pressure comes from him holding the ball too long because he's not processing what happens in front of him fast enough. And he still thinks he can rely on his athleticism which as we all can see isn't working except for JP.

Correcting years of bad habits takes time, a lot of time. JPs issues cannot be fixed in one year let alone one day.

TacklingDummy
11-27-2007, 03:35 PM
I doubt highly JP will be traded this off-season.

If he is I can't see the Bills getting much more than a 5th for him.

I'll stick by what I said earlier. JP will start a couple games next year for Buffalo.

trapezeus
11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
one other thing, JP didn't come from a big time school. he came from Tulane. So he doesn't necessarily have the network of a big time coach from college vouching for him. That would go a long way to helping him get another chance much easier.

Coaches rely on word of mouth and personal recommendations like in any business. Losman's in a hard spot.

Buffatexas
11-27-2007, 03:45 PM
why dont we just send Ralph this??

The Answer
11-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I doubt highly JP will be traded this off-season.

If he is I can't see the Bills getting much more than a 5th for him.

I'll stick by what I said earlier. JP will start a couple games next year for Buffalo.

Not going to happen simply because The Corpse and Levy want to put the QB controversy to rest.

Losman will be gone after this season - if Edwards gets hurt next year or struggles mightily that it will be Hamden ball or whatever veteran we sign will play.

~The Answer

Elminster
11-27-2007, 04:07 PM
A quarterback like Losman does have trade value. Miami gave up a 6th for Cleo Lemon, so I think a more physically talented player like Losman could net a 5th. Maybe even a 4th. He has a lot of tools and may still amount to something now or later, and, at worst, would make a fairly capable back-up that you could possibly utilize in trick plays. Not much, but it is something, especially since we seem to be pretty good at finding value later on.

mybills
11-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Now that JP is done as a bill
link please

FlyingDutchman
11-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Ham sandwhich