PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Topic: Ricky Starting for Miami

Pride
11-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey everyone...

Something I just heard on the radio, and thought it might make for good discussion:

Perhaps lost in the humor of Ricky coming back into the NFL, was Miami's decision to start him after 1 week of practice. What message does that send to your team (especially the RB's) to have a guy who wasnt even on the team 8 days earlier, starting on Monday Night?

I would think that, alone, would cause a volcano to erupt between the players and coaches.

Side Note: I just heard that Ricky Williams is done for the season with a torn chest muscle. So much for that experiment.

G Wolly
11-27-2007, 03:31 PM
What message does that send to your team (especially the RB's) to have a guy who wasnt even on the team 8 days earlier, starting on Monday Night?

I would think that, alone, would cause a volcano to erupt between the players and coaches.

Well when you're 0 - 10, I think you'd be trying anything possible to help

Pride
11-27-2007, 03:35 PM
I understand that.. however, I think most teams bond together when faced with an O-fer season. Instead, they bring in a "stranger" to a lot of the team and hand him the keys.

I know if I were on the team... I'd be pissed that someone who hasnt been through the 0-9, would be handed the keys by default without the blood, sweat, and pain of Training Camp and the 9 previous games.

I guess to me, the risk of alienating my entire team, at the expense of a possible win in week 12, just wouldn't be worth it.

Philagape
11-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Chatman had a bad ankle, and actually he did get their first carries. Ricky didn't touch the ball until late in the first quarter.

Gunzlingr
11-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Chatman had a bad ankle, and actually he did get their first carries. Ricky didn't touch the ball until late in the first quarter.

And now he is done for the year.

Pride
11-27-2007, 03:36 PM

Fair enough, I wasnt aware of that.

Forward_Lateral
11-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Did you see him get stomped on? :rofl:

Mudflap1
11-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I mean, Brown is out for the season and Chatman was beat up, so why not play Williams? They only have one other RB on the roster. It's just a strange saga overall, the Williams stuff. I mean, on one hand, the guy obviously has problems because he keeps repeating his offenses with a banned substance (marijuana). On the other hand though, there's something to be said that this guy is made out to be a villain, and it's not like he's doing anything to himself that would be considered cheating or performance-enhancing, ala Barry Bonds or, even Shawne Merriman. The guy is a good football player and doesn't seem like a "bad guy", he just doesn't seem like he's "one of the guys" as you'd expect most players to be in the locker room.

If he really was clean for awhile and was trying hard to make something out of himself, it's a shame he got hurt in little over a quarter. That's part of the game though.

Jon

tat2dmike77
11-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Well that didn't last long anyway

OpIv37
11-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I mean, Brown is out for the season and Chatman was beat up, so why not play Williams? They only have one other RB on the roster. It's just a strange saga overall, the Williams stuff. I mean, on one hand, the guy obviously has problems because he keeps repeating his offenses with a banned substance (marijuana). On the other hand though, there's something to be said that this guy is made out to be a villain, and it's not like he's doing anything to himself that would be considered cheating or performance-enhancing, ala Barry Bonds or, even Shawne Merriman. The guy is a good football player and doesn't seem like a "bad guy", he just doesn't seem like he's "one of the guys" as you'd expect most players to be in the locker room.

If he really was clean for awhile and was trying hard to make something out of himself, it's a shame he got hurt in little over a quarter. That's part of the game though.

Jon

what pisses me off about Ricky is the way he screws over his team. The first time he retired, he did it in August. If he was going to do that, he should have done it in February so his team had an opportunity to find an RB. Then he comes back and gets suspended again- each time it hurts the team. Certainly there are other players who have done worse things, but what he does has just as much effect on his team as those guys who commit worse offenses.

And damn, most NFL RB's are done at 32 or 33. He can make millions in NFL salaries and endorsements, invest the money, and live off the windfall for the rest of his life- and then he can sit around and smoke all the pot he wants because it won't affect anyone but himself. But as long as he's on the team, he has other commitments and he should honor them.

Forward_Lateral
11-27-2007, 03:45 PM
The best is the "social anxiety disorder" what a dirtbag.

tat2dmike77
11-27-2007, 03:46 PM
He can make millions in NFL salaries and endorsements,

I'm sure he endorses Tommy Chongs line of bongs and pipes.

Ickybaluky
11-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Perhaps lost in the humor of Ricky coming back into the NFL, was Miami's decision to start him after 1 week of practice. What message does that send to your team (especially the RB's) to have a guy who wasnt even on the team 8 days earlier, starting on Monday Night?.

They have been hurt by injuries and their current starter at RB, Jesse Chatman, was uncertain to play because of an ankle injury. Chatman ended up starting, but was still struggling with the ankle.

The other option was Patrick Cobb, a young player who they probably didn't trust in blitz pickup.

Forward_Lateral
11-27-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't even care about the fact that he smokes weed. The fact that he's dumb enough to get caught, SEVERAL times, is what I don't understand. Dude, you make trillions of dollars. You can't afford to buy some clean piss?

Mudflap1
11-27-2007, 03:49 PM
what pisses me off about Ricky is the way he screws over his team. The first time he retired, he did it in August. If he was going to do that, he should have done it in February so his team had an opportunity to find an RB. Then he comes back and gets suspended again- each time it hurts the team. Certainly there are other players who have done worse things, but what he does has just as much effect on his team as those guys who commit worse offenses.

And damn, most NFL RB's are done at 32 or 33. He can make millions in NFL salaries and endorsements, invest the money, and live off the windfall for the rest of his life- and then he can sit around and smoke all the pot he wants because it won't affect anyone but himself. But as long as he's on the team, he has other commitments and he should honor them.

All good points.

I will say this though, I think Travis Henry is just as bad. He's been busted for banned substance multiple times, and that lets the team down too. Henry is also questionably a worse character guy off the field.