PDA

View Full Version : Reports ready to Buzz Redskins Might not play Sunday

patmoran2006
11-27-2007, 06:36 PM
I"m pretty sure it was ESPN, but there are going to be reports that the Redskins might not be ready to play on Sunday.

I gotta hear more details, but it was something to the effect that Dan Snyder "didn't say no" when asked by one of the ESPN chick reporters if not playing on Sunday was a possibility.

Personally, I dont know man. There is no precedent for this, and if i was a teammate, I don't know how the hell I would be able to get ready mentally to play a NFL game just five days after learning my teammate was murdered.

Mr. Pink
11-27-2007, 06:39 PM
According to Goodell, the game is going on as scheduled.

Heard that via GR.

mybills
11-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Not playing and not being ready to play are two different things. Let us know which is confirmed.

DMBcrew36
11-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Life must go on...

What they should be doing, is going out Sunday and winning one for him.

patmoran2006
11-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Not playing and not being ready to play are two different things. Let us know which is confirmed.
nothing is "confirmed"

Goodell said that Taylor will be remembered in every stadium this weekend and players will all wear 21 on their helmets.

I also heard a female reporter from ESPN in Washington, It's not Rachel Nichols, that when a reporter asked Dan Snyder if he would talk to the league about not playing on Sunday, he 'didnt say no".

And obviously and understandably, nobody is really thinking straight in Washington and I highly doubt anyone cares about football right now either.

What's worse, and more likely, is the game NEXT week may get moved. They are scheduled to play on Thur night, I'd bet that gets moved to the weekend.

Kerr
11-27-2007, 06:51 PM
The games will commence. They will hold a moment of silence before every game and the 'skins will wear a 21 logo and patch the rest of the season.
On a site note, I really hope Marshawn is able to play.

patmoran2006
11-27-2007, 06:53 PM
The games will commence. They will hold a moment of silence before every game and the 'skins will wear a 21 logo and patch the rest of the season.
On a site note, I really hope Marshawn is able to play.
I heard this morning his ankle is as bad now as its been in over 2 weeks.. Not going to happen unfortunately. A-Train's calf is still sore too.

gil
11-27-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm sorry for Taylor, but I hope they play - we need the work and I for one don't want a win by forfeit.

patmoran2006
11-27-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm sure they'll end up playing and I"m sure for 3 hours they will be on pure adredaline.

I want the Bills to win, but people in Bflo are probably the only ones in the nation that want to see that. I guess to "win" is the best way to start healing in football.

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 07:02 PM
They are going to play but most likely won't be there mentally. Honestly, this is a game I thought the Bills would lose but after today I see them winning. I just don't see the Redskins being mentally ready. I realize it's two way different things but I look back to how the Bills responded both times to KE, especially the following week. It just didn't seem like they were into the game and IMO this is by far worse.

trapezeus
11-27-2007, 07:03 PM
watch the bills lay an egg in washington and it becomes the talk of the week in sportsnews. how they went out and won one for sean.

patmoran2006
11-27-2007, 07:05 PM
It's definitely worse and obviously different.

with KE, they thought he was dead.. Reports later that night said he was clinging to life and it wasn't looking good. The following days brought news of hope.

With Taylor, it was the opposite.. He was in critical condition, and then seemingly good news game out he was able to squeeze the doctors hand and they were "cautiously optimistic". But by the time we woke up today, he was dead.

I also dont see how they could POSSIBLY be ready to play. They'll have a ton of emotion I'm sure, but I dont see how they could be mentally ready and prepared to play a NFL team, even an offense as pathetic as ours.

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I really see it going one way or the other. They will either be a total mess on the field or they will play lights out. It will really depend on where their head is at.

patmoran2006
11-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Well if there is one coach in this league that is equipped to deal with player's and their emotions, it is probably Joe Gibbs.

Nobody is more respected around the league and by all accounts, nobody cares about his players more. I'm sure he'll these guys as ready to play as one could expect giving everything.

Gunzlingr
11-27-2007, 07:29 PM
They are professionals, they better be ready to play.

LtBillsFan66
11-27-2007, 07:34 PM
If so, mark down a forfeit victory for Trent!

Ed
11-27-2007, 07:34 PM
There's no way they don't play. How would that even work? The Redskins just kiss the playoffs goodbye and the Bills get a win by forfeit? That wouldn't really seem legit or fair. And then there's the issue of re-imbursing all the ticket holders. The NFL is still a business, the Redskins are still a corporation and it won't just shut down because of the death of one employee. I'm sure it will be really hard and unenjoyable for their organization, but I think they'll still at least go through the motions.

I wouldn't put any stock in to Snyder not saying no. I think it's more an issue of just not wanting to answer football or business related questions at such an emotional time and appear insensitive.

Philagape
11-27-2007, 08:03 PM
There's no way they don't play.

Bone
11-27-2007, 08:12 PM
John Clayton said the Redskins will be playing against Buffalo this sunday. The problem is that the skins may not play on thursday next week because they would only have one day of practice because of the funeral for Taylor.

OpIv37
11-27-2007, 08:32 PM
I watched an hour's worth of press conferences and interviews on the local Comcast SportsNet (I'm in the DC area) and nobody even mentioned not playing- they were talking about preparing for Buffalo as if the game was still on.

This whole situation sucks for everyone involved but some things have to be done.

It's too bad the Skins have the Thursday game this week, or else they could move the game to Monday night and buy an extra day and a half (that would suck for me going to the game, but I understand some things are more important than me not having to sit in DC traffic).

Slim
11-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Move it monday?

HHURRICANE
11-27-2007, 09:28 PM
I"m pretty sure it was ESPN, but there are going to be reports that the Redskins might not be ready to play on Sunday.

I gotta hear more details, but it was something to the effect that Dan Snyder "didn't say no" when asked by one of the ESPN chick reporters if not playing on Sunday was a possibility.

Personally, I dont know man. There is no precedent for this, and if i was a teammate, I don't know how the hell I would be able to get ready mentally to play a NFL game just five days after learning my teammate was murdered.

If this game gets moved I'm boycotting the NFL. Are you kidding me?

LtFinFan66
11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
It would not be a forfeit no matter what

RockStar36
11-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Not to sound like an ass but the Bills better be ready to play as well. They are still professionals who get paid a lot of money to do a job.

G. Host
11-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Moving the game is "inconvenient" to the fans who purchased airline tickets, took the day off, rented buses to go to game, etc but it never stopped the NFL before.

I suspect this is a win-win situation for Washington in terms of win/loss - they win and they can say it is for Sean Taylor and if they lose they say they were unable to concentrate because of Sean Taylor which makes it a lose-lose for Buffalo.

Mitchy moo
11-27-2007, 09:42 PM
If so, mark down a forfeit victory for Trent!

Would that count as a starting win or would we have to lump that in with the NE game where he took over after never preparing for the start?

J/K.

San Diego nearly burnt down and the NFL roasted marshmallows at gametime, this game goes on this weekend.

Johnny Bugmenot
11-27-2007, 10:07 PM
It would not be a forfeit no matter what

How so?

If the Redskins don't play, and the league says they're supposed to play, then they have to either play or forfeit, simple as that. At least that's how I understand it.

OpIv37
11-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Moving the game is "inconvenient" to the fans who purchased airline tickets, took the day off, rented buses to go to game, etc but it never stopped the NFL before.

I suspect this is a win-win situation for Washington in terms of win/loss - they win and they can say it is for Sean Taylor and if they lose they say they were unable to concentrate because of Sean Taylor which makes it a lose-lose for Buffalo.

a win on the scoreboard is still a win- if it's because the Skins are distracted, just chalk it up to another crappy win this year.

G. Host
11-27-2007, 10:37 PM
a win on the scoreboard is still a win- if it's because the Skins are distracted, just chalk it up to another crappy win this year.

Like I said those who constantly bash the Bills will discount any win by Buffalo saying it was due to distraction of death of Taylor.

OpIv37
11-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Like I said those who constantly bash the Bills will discount any win by Buffalo saying it was due to distraction of death of Taylor.

Even before the Taylor thing, the Skins were in complete disarray- at least as bad as we are. People were going to discount the win anyway, as they should. We can beat up on teams like Baltimore that lose 5 straight games or squeak by winless Miami but we can't even hang with anyone decent.

tat2dmike77
11-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Even before the Taylor thing, the Skins were in complete disarray- at least as bad as we are. People were going to discount the win anyway, as they should. We can beat up on teams like Baltimore that lose 5 straight games or squeak by winless Miami but we can't even hang with anyone decent.

So is pittsburg as bad as the bills. Since they sqeaked by a winless miami and lost to the jets? Or are they worse because they couldn't score a touchdown against the dolphins. (Oh and i don't want to hear about how crappy the field was.)

JD
11-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Christ, we already lost. If we win it looks like we are beating down on an already injured puppy.

Oaf
11-28-2007, 02:59 AM
If there was a team in the NFL that I wanted to win the SB other than the Bills, it'd be these guys. Always loved Joe Gibbs, hate the Cowboys, and it would make one hell of a story. That is, after we beat them.

shelby
11-28-2007, 04:08 AM
The Redskins had 4 or 5 fumbles against the Bucs last weekend. They aren't at the top of their game to begin with.

i feel bad for them. They've lost a teammate. But i think they'll play on Sunday.

Devin
11-28-2007, 04:41 AM
We played after the KE injury, the NFL moved on during 9/11, San Diego was on fire and they played........as they say the show must go on. Its tragic but thats just the way it is.

jamze132
11-28-2007, 06:07 AM
I'm sure if Sean could send a message from above, he would tell the boys to play lights out and that he will be there by their sides every down.

mybills
11-28-2007, 07:01 AM
They are going to play but most likely won't be there mentally. Honestly, this is a game I thought the Bills would lose but after today I see them winning. I just don't see the Redskins being mentally ready.
Same here. I had us marked as a loss while he was still alive. Death changes everything. :(

STAMPY
11-28-2007, 07:05 AM

we did play very well vs bengals. Cincy made Titans look silly sunday. Tenn. is clearly a good team. Close to playoffs

Mahdi
11-28-2007, 07:33 AM
I heard this morning his ankle is as bad now as its been in over 2 weeks.. Not going to happen unfortunately. A-Train's calf is still sore too.
Good, im actually glad that A-Train will be limited because I want to see Fred Jackson carry the load. He has great burst and plays hard inside as well.

Coach Sal
11-28-2007, 07:49 AM
We played after the KE injury, the NFL moved on during 9/11, San Diego was on fire and they played........as they say the show must go on. Its tragic but thats just the way it is.

The NFL also played it's full schedule of games on November 24, 1963, just two days after John F. Kennedy, the President of the United States was assassinated.

Coach Sal
11-28-2007, 07:51 AM
I have not heard anything from anyone stating that not playing this game was any sort of option. But, I'm sure the Skins would want to re-schedule if given the choice, and Snyder was simply projecting his own emotions and opinion, which he has a right to do.

That being said, there are two teams to consider here, not just one. It would be grossly unfair to the Bills if the league decided to reschedule this game. No doubt every team and every player is upset. But this is a tragedy that mostly effects one organization.

But should that mean the Bills should be forced to play two games in an upcoming week to accomodate them? I know it sounds heartless, but "no way."

And although Kevin Everett did not die, he sure as heck almost did right on the field. And he wasn't "out of the woods" for several days after his injury occured, and everyone knew he's probably be paralyzed the rest of his life. If the Bills had the option, they probably would have rather not played the following week, either. But the league didn't ask the Bills if they wanted to reschedule the game. And the Steelers certainly didn't lay down and take it easy on them.

There's no way the Skins will be focused this week. And no way they will be prepared for the Bills. And I can understand that. We probably all can. But I would not be surprised if the Bills won by 10 or more points.

Historian
11-28-2007, 08:05 AM
The Redskins should forfeit the game out of respect...

OpIv37
11-28-2007, 08:18 AM
So is pittsburg as bad as the bills. Since they sqeaked by a winless miami and lost to the jets? Or are they worse because they couldn't score a touchdown against the dolphins. (Oh and i don't want to hear about how crappy the field was.)

I don't know what Pittsburgh's problem is- they're just not consistent. We only managed one TD against Miami and we didn't have the weather or the field conditions as an excuse.

We beat bad teams and lose to good ones. No one realized that- everyone got all excited after the 4 wins in a row but no one wanted to acknowledge that they were against crappy teams. What happens? We get killed by Jacksonville and NE. It's pretty clear that this team still lacks talent to compete with the better teams.

Enjoy the wins when they happen but understand that playing like this means we're going to be flirting with .500 and at best an outside chance at a wild card until we make serious improvements. Everyone talks about improvement- well we're still not even close.

And in case you didn't notice, Pittsburgh beat us and has two more wins than we do.

OpIv37
11-28-2007, 08:20 AM
we did play very well vs bengals. Cincy made Titans look silly sunday. Tenn. is clearly a good team. Close to playoffs

Cincy had a good game against Tenn but theyr'e still a borderline team struggling to stay above .500

Bill Brasky
11-28-2007, 09:03 AM

you want to be taken seriously as a journalist/reporter yet you watch espn? that makes no sense.

i can only imagine that they've reported 75 different "new developments" on this. just because they're the first batch of idiots to blow undocumented smoke out of their asses doesn't make them right.

TigerJ
11-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Most people don't get more than a one day break from work for a death. I certainly don't get a break when someone in the church dies. I have extra work because I do the funeral. When my father died, I didn't get a Sunday off. In fact, I participated in that funeral too. I sympathize with the Redskins. It's not easy to play football while grieving, but you do it because that's your job.