PDA

View Full Version : The unofficial Fire Fairchild; Hire Callahan thread

Kerr
11-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Credit to Funtimes for the suggestion. A very good and realistic idea. His credentials as offensive coordinator with the Raiders are-
"Under Callahan's tutelage in 2001, the Raiders allowed only 27 sacks, the least ever in team history in a 16-game regular season as the Silver and Black advanced to the Divisional round of the AFC Playoffs. With Callahan as offensive coordinator and coaching the offensive line, the Raiders led the NFL in rushing in 2000, averaging 154.4 yards per game as the Silver and Black advanced to the AFC Championship game.
In addition, the Silver and Black allowed only 28 sacks in 2000, a team record before the Raiders surpassed that mark in 2001."
http://www.huskerpedia.com/callahan/index_callahan.html

It would bring some optimism for next season if this came true.

patmoran2006
11-27-2007, 06:57 PM
It stops and starts with a QB my friend... Gannon was their QB and one of the best, and DEFINITELY one of the most accurate in football. Even though they were old, Tim Brown and Jerry Rice were still productive WR's and they had a burner for a third in Jerry Porter.

Interesting I mention Gannon, because that in part is the model that I think Edwards could potentially become, and I don't see how anybody could be unhappy with that.

Back to your subject, I HATE Callahan for two reasons.

1- He quit on his team halfway through the season this year (figuratively)

2- Because he sucked so bad, UB is going to lose Turner Gill.

Mudflap1
11-27-2007, 06:59 PM
The Raiders quit on Callahan because they couldn't stand him so much. I'm not talking about the renegades like Sapp either. When guys with the caliber and character of Rich Gannon, Tim Brown, and Jerry Rice want to run you out of town, that's not good.

He also didn't embrace Nebraska's tradition, a big no no. He came in and changed everything and wanted to do his own thing.

He might have a decent offensive mind, but he's waaaaay too abrasive and not player-friendly enough.

Pass.

Buffatexas
11-27-2007, 08:38 PM
It stops and starts with a QB my friend... Gannon was their QB and one of the best, and DEFINITELY one of the most accurate in football. Even though they were old, Tim Brown and Jerry Rice were still productive WR's and they had a burner for a third in Jerry Porter.

Interesting I mention Gannon, because that in part is the model that I think Edwards could potentially become, and I don't see how anybody could be unhappy with that.

Keep in mind that Gannon was also labled a journeyman QB because of all those years spent in Minn (replaced by Sean Salisbury), Wash (only 3 games then released) and KC (behind Steve Bono & Elvis Grbac)

Gannon did kick a little tail in KC and was benched once Grbac came back and they lost in the playoffs (who made that call to bench Gannon?...no one other than Schottenheimer himself)

Johnny Bugmenot
11-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Callahan? Um... no thanks.

Riding the coattails of Jon Gruden in Oakland and then stinking it up in Nebraska is not the type of coach I want on this team.

Mitchy moo
11-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Assistant OC?? Is that possible?

Elminster
11-27-2007, 09:50 PM
He's not suggesting hiring him as coach, but as offensive coordinator. The difference is vast. I think Callahan would make a good signing, and he's a proven coordinator.

Ickybaluky
11-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Callahan rode Gruden's coattails. When Gruden was in Oakland the offense was his baby and he had them working efficiently. Callahan kept it together the year after Gruden left with the same players, but it all fell apart after that.

I don't think Callahan is much on his own.

Spiderweb
11-28-2007, 02:43 AM
Callahan? Um... no thanks.

Riding the coattails of Jon Gruden in Oakland and then stinking it up in Nebraska is not the type of coach I want on this team.

Amen.....

All he did was take what Gruden put togeher a rode it for a couple years. His players hated him, and in his chance to do something on his own, he failed miserably in Nebraska. Callahan.....:assclown:

Ingtar33
11-28-2007, 04:05 AM
don't forget, the reason why callahan was fired after 1 year as coach in OAK.

He never changed the line calls, or audibles. PERIOD

as in they were the same under gruden as they were under callahan. When the bucs played in the superbowl vs them, the bucs defense knew all the calls at the line of scrimmage, and ate the raiders alive.

that's coaching incompetence of a massive scale.

Kerr
11-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Nice feedback...

I agree that he was too much of a mule with the Raiders. We can all agree he's a lousy HC and that as a HC players hate him. However, we generally notice that coaches tend to be more effective in a lesser role like a coordinator so it's possible Callahan would be an upgrade over what we have right now.

djjimkelly
11-28-2007, 09:58 AM
this should be the fire them all thread

G. Host
11-28-2007, 10:33 AM
this should be the fire them all thread
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/user_pics/182-1178157656.gif

DraftBoy
11-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Pass on Callahan, I want an innovative mind in as OC, I still like Sarkisian from USC, the guy from NE (McDaniels, I think?) isnt a bad choice nor is Garrett.

justasportsfan
11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Here's something to think about.

JP+ Holcomb+Willis in 2005 under Moolarkey bills were ranked 28th in total O ,29th in passing and 20th in rushing

This year JP+ Trent + Lynch under Fairchild 31st total O, 30th pass, 18 th run (thank you Lynch).

I'm not even going to touch Moolarkey's 1st year vs. Fairchilds 1st year.

deepslant
11-28-2007, 11:49 AM
It would bring some optimism for next season if this came true.

hahaha Callahan sucks! Ask Al Davis.

ublinkwescore
11-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Well, Al Davis should know, he's an expert on the topic of sucking.

Mudflap1
11-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Anybody notice Callahan and Fairchild kind of look the same?