One thing most people aren't taking into account...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

One thing most people aren't taking into account...

A very important piece of information is not being talked about as much as it should as it relates to turning the franchise over to Trent Edwards:

He's been injury-proned.

Granted, Stanford sucked as a team, and he was a sitting duck back there. But way too many people are thinking "well, we'll just have Trent play and give him a year or two to see if he gets it". What if he misses half of those games because he's got injury after injury? It's not like it hasn't already happened this year.

To be honest, that is my biggest concern with him right now, his durability. I'm concerned if he can develop into a good quarterback, but I'm not overly confident he'll even be able to stay on the field to do so.

Jon
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: One thing most people aren't taking into account...

i've mentioned this a bunch. i think this is his biggest weakness. it was in the predraft reports on him.

i think he has the capability to play well. he is a smart guy. now it's a matter that his body hold up. i hope it does.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Its the ONE thing that scares me about him.. Good post.

I'm not worried about arm strength, SURE as hell aint worry about decision making, poise and pocket presence. I'm worried about injury.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Jon,
        I remember you not liking him coming out of college. You hated the pick in fact when we took him. So did I at the time, but for different reasons.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Mudflap1
          Next Question!
          • Nov 2004

Correct, I didn't like the pick at the time. I have to admit, I've warmed to him quite a bit after seeing him go into the NFL "trial by fire" as a rookie and not completely implode, and in fact move the ball a bit and show some poise. But he's still a long ways off.

At Stanford, he was always hurt, and offensively they were dreadful. Their line was horrible, but still. It's not a good thing he got hurt a lot anyway you slice it.

Comment

• Ed
            Dude
            • Sep 2002

I didn't watch any games of him at Stanford. What are the details of his injuries? How did they occurr? How many sacks/hits was he taking?

Comment

• RockStar36
              Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
              • Sep 2004

The job is his for the taking. He needs to toughen up if he wants to be an NFL starting QB.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Mudflap1
                Next Question!
                • Nov 2004

At Stanford, Edwards sat out his freshman year in 2002, and began 2003 behind starter Chris Lewis. After an impressive showing in a backup role, Edwards got the start for four games, but was then sidelined with a shoulder injury for the rest of the season. In 2004, Edwards was the starter, but again suffered injuries that knocked him out of two games and kept him out of two others entirely. Edwards' best year was 2005, where he started all 11 games, completed 168 of 268 passes for 1934 yards and 17 touchdowns, leading the Cardinal to a 5-6 record.[2]

In 2006, Edwards was the starter for the first seven games, but suffered a season-ending broken foot against Arizona and relinquished the starting role to T. C. Ostrander. Despite Stanford's poor performance during his tenure as starting quarterback (the Cardinal was just 10-20 in games he started), Edwards was a highly-touted quarterback prospect in the 2007 NFL Draft due to his arm strength, accuracy, and intelligence.[3] Prior to the draft, Mel Kiper projected Edwards as the third-best quarterback in the draft, behind JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn. [4]

Comment

• G Wolly
                  • Mar 2004

Well as long as the line does their job and keeps him safe in that pocket, we're in business

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                    i think it is a moot point to be honest.

thing is, as a few of us pointed out.. edwards has a long history of being injury prone.. and it showed up again after only 4 games.. so i dont think it is going to matter..
                    I have always liked JP, but I also like Edwards and what he's done since coming in. What should a fan of both QBs with completely different styles and strengths hope for other than overall success for the team? How do you think the lockerroom sides in this? Well, for now I'm going to enjoy the win but this is already bugging
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• kinigirly
                      • Sep 2005

true, very true. i blame this on the surgeon general or some lactose intolerant politician. the newer generations coming up were raised to drink this watered down fat free milk crap. give the boy a glass of whole milk and a flinstone vitamin!

Comment

• Jeff1220
                        H to the 12:20
                        • Jul 2002

Sorry to break topic,, but Immortal Corruptor's sig made me lol and I had to give him some props!

lolphins.jpg
                        Now that is funny!

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mudflap1
                          A very important piece of information is not being talked about as much as it should as it relates to turning the franchise over to Trent Edwards:

He's been injury-proned.

Granted, Stanford sucked as a team, and he was a sitting duck back there. But way too many people are thinking "well, we'll just have Trent play and give him a year or two to see if he gets it". What if he misses half of those games because he's got injury after injury? It's not like it hasn't already happened this year.

To be honest, that is my biggest concern with him right now, his durability. I'm concerned if he can develop into a good quarterback, but I'm not overly confident he'll even be able to stay on the field to do so.

Jon
                          Good points. Despite all Losman and Bledsoe's faults, they were both tough as nails and were never injured. Bledsoe started all 48 games during his three year stint here. Losman had the busted leg his first year (courtesy of Troy Vincent), but he wouldn't have played anyway and his only other injury was the cheap shot by Wilfork. The toughest guy on the planet couldn't walk away from a 300lb defensive lineman going elbow-first into his knee.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• G Wolly
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jeff1220
                            Sorry to break topic,, but Immortal Corruptor's sig made me lol and I had to give him some props!

[ATTACH]13055[/ATTACH]
                            Now that is funny!
                            Well thanks for the props in your digression

Comment

• raphael120
                              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                              • Oct 2005

Ugh, can we not talk about injuries? It's a touchy subject for the Bills. Let's just play the damn game and win.

Comment

Working...
                              X