• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ultra Chimp 1
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Sep 2005

Starting Edwards in 2008 The Wrong Move

I don't have any sympathy for Losman, as anyone who reads even a little bit of my posts can attest to. The guy is an awful quarterback. I've been saying this for years, my record is clear.

To be perfectly honest though, I wouldn't start Edwards this week. We only have six losses. We could win out, it's definitely very possible to make the playoffs in the AFC with a 10-6 record.

It's also not exactly out of the realm of possibility to make the post-season with a 9-7 mark, though I agree it's unlikely. Starting Edwards against Washington is probably a mistake and a bad gameday call especially with the loss of Taylor. Remember, we're essentially chasing the Browns for the last playoff berth. The Browns could definitely falter the next couple weeks, or run into bad luck.

I would let Losman stay in until the Browns clinch, or we hit seven or eight losses, not six.

About next season. I don't really know how good Edwards is. I wouldn't start him or Losman in 2008. But I would obviously keep Edwards as the backup and release Losman.

What we should do, what should be on the table; is signing a veteran quarterback. A solid player with a good track record of winning. I don't really see a disadvantage overpaying a QB for one or two year deals. The quarterback position is indispensable, especially this year with the decline of so many great running backs from last season.

I'll make a prediction right now. If Edwards starts next year, his career will barely surpass that of Losman. I bet Edwards will even start in less games than Losman.

We have three gaping holes on our team. One is the lack of a TE. Two is the lack of big, strong, receiver, and three is obviously the quarterback position. The latter two being by far the most important.

So no, I don't forsee Edwards doing anything next season. In fact, there's a very very concrete chance next season could lead to less wins then this season.

The only thing, and I mean the only thing that will prevent disaster from happening is keeping Evans here, signing a wide receiver, and getting a veteran quarterback. If we're not aggressive in the off-season, you can forget about 2008 and extinguish any hopes you douchebags may have about Edward's future.

I want Edwards to succeed just as bad as anyone. But throwing him in next season is simply folly. The right way to do it is to sign a good quarterback with a good track record and let Edwards sit for another two years.

I guarantee by 2009 Edwards will be where we want him in terms of his development. Start him next year and watch his career pay the price

I have to say we should stick Losman back in there. If we lose two more games then start Edwards until the end of the season at which point the best course of action would be to sign a quarterback that Edwards can really learn under for two years. Like I said earlier, who cares if we overpay. We're essentially getting a QB and a coach for Edwards to learn under.

It's like two for the price of one.

I think that's the way to do it.
  • The Answer
    The Plagiarist
    • Mar 2007

Re: Starting Edwards in 2008 The Wrong Move

Originally posted by Ultra Chimp 1
    I don't have any sympathy for Losman, as anyone who reads even a little bit of my posts can attest to. The guy is an awful quarterback. I've been saying this for years, my record is clear.

To be perfectly honest though, I wouldn't start Edwards this week. We only have six losses. We could win out, it's definitely very possible to make the playoffs in the AFC with a 10-6 record.

It's also not exactly out of the realm of possibility to make the post-season with a 9-7 mark, though I agree it's unlikely. Starting Edwards against Washington is probably a mistake and a bad gameday call especially with the loss of Taylor. Remember, we're essentially chasing the Browns for the last playoff berth. The Browns could definitely falter the next couple weeks, or run into bad luck.

I would let Losman stay in until the Browns clinch, or we hit seven or eight losses, not six.

About next season. I don't really know how good Edwards is. I wouldn't start him or Losman in 2008. But I would obviously keep Edwards as the backup and release Losman.

What we should do, what should be on the table; is signing a veteran quarterback. A solid player with a good track record of winning. I don't really see a disadvantage overpaying a QB for one or two year deals. The quarterback position is indispensable, especially this year with the decline of so many great running backs from last season.

I'll make a prediction right now. If Edwards starts next year, his career will barely surpass that of Losman. I bet Edwards will even start in less games than Losman.

We have three gaping holes on our team. One is the lack of a TE. Two is the lack of big, strong, receiver, and three is obviously the quarterback position. The latter two being by far the most important.

So no, I don't forsee Edwards doing anything next season. In fact, there's a very very concrete chance next season could lead to less wins then this season.

The only thing, and I mean the only thing that will prevent disaster from happening is keeping Evans here, signing a wide receiver, and getting a veteran quarterback. If we're not aggressive in the off-season, you can forget about 2008 and extinguish any hopes you douchebags may have about Edward's future.

I want Edwards to succeed just as bad as anyone. But throwing him in next season is simply folly. The right way to do it is to sign a good quarterback with a good track record and let Edwards sit for another two years.

I guarantee by 2009 Edwards will be where we want him in terms of his development. Start him next year and watch his career pay the price

I have to say we should stick Losman back in there. If we lose two more games then start Edwards until the end of the season at which point the best course of action would be to sign a quarterback that Edwards can really learn under for two years. Like I said earlier, who cares if we overpay. We're essentially getting a QB and a coach for Edwards to learn under.

Were not going anywhere with Losman that's why he's being benched despite the fact we are still 'mathematically alive' - but in reality the front office knows this isn't a playoff team and we need to look ahead to 2008 and get Edwards some more experience under his belt.

Furthermore the days of letting a QB sit on the bench for a few years to 'develop' are long over. We've already seen a ton of young QB's come in and have success right off the bat and Edwards already demonstrated he's light years ahead of Losman in terms of mechanics and the ability to read an NFL defense.

If we make a run at the playoffs this last month with Edwards it's just an added bonus, but the aim here is to get Edwards ready to make a serious run in 2008.

~The Answer

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

i guess you can't be the number 1 ultra chimp without a post like that.

who knows what edwards will do from here on out, but the team has a chance at the starting whistle to compete with him in there. something that's not the case with losman. i liked losman. i wanted him to succeed. but he knew he had to build on last year, not go backwards. this undoing is his own problem.

Sitting edwards til 09 is so stupid its hard to even address. "we should get a veteran QB who can win games." well that's an awesome point. i'm sure we'll pick up brady. Oh, wait, you mean journeyman QB's, like what JP is going to become. They are journey because they don't win consistantly.

And like new items, most coaches want a new product, not the older model from a garage sale. Edwards is their guy next year. they need the journeyman as a good back up.

Keep chimping.

Comment

• JD
        Sabres Zone
        • Sep 2003

What a crock of ****. Assuming he is going to suck, after only watching him play 4 games in which he has a 3-1 record lmao. Why did you even waste your time making this thread?
        “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• deepslant
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Ultra Chimp 1

LOL Have you heard of a draft. Marv will fill in the missing pieces in the offseason. Relax, TE will and dunk with the best of 'em.
          *********The Kid**********

Comment

• acehole
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JD SabreFan
            What a crock of ****. Assuming he is going to suck, after only watching him play 4 games in which he has a 3-1 record lmao. Why did you even waste your time making this thread?

What the crock is...is comparing him to Joe Montanna/tom Brady after the same.

PS One of the glorious 3 wins he has he left the game with an injury to the vaulted
            Jets who figured out his game after one drive. JP lead the offense to the only TD drive to win the game.

So 2 -1-1 ....and for that some of you have seen enough for greatness.
            Hated by the stupid..
            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

I want to see a camp competition between a vet QB and Edwards next summer.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• raphael120
                Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                • Oct 2005

So...JP sucks...admittedly...but you still want him to play more games this season?

I think you should stick to flingin your own poo.

Comment

• JD
                  Sabres Zone
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by acehole

PS One of the glorious 3 wins he has he left the game with an injury to the vaulted
                  Jets who figured out his game after one drive. JP lead the offense to the only TD drive to win the game.

Awww poor baby upset because his boyfriend riddin the bench

It will be ok Ace, really it will.

OH, and uh.. Edwards could have thrown a terrible, underthrown pass to Evans too. It was absolute LUCK that Lee came down with the ball. You make that throw a hundred times and 95% of the time it is an interception. Edwards had us in the game, JP got lucky its as simple as that. TRENT ERA, time to hang up the Losman jersey acehole.
                  “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• deepslant
                    • May 2007

At least TE has a winning record. JP's what 11-38 or thereabouts. It's felt like it.
                    My wife told me I was not allowed to watch Bills games anymore for my face has become prematurely wrinkled (from continously squinting at JP).

Comment

• JD
                      Sabres Zone
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by deepslant
                      At least TE has a winning record. JP's what 11-38 or thereabouts. It's felt like it.
                      My wife told me I was not allowed to watch Bills games anymore for my face has become prematurely wrinkled (from continously squinting at JP).
                      Coincidentaly, Ace too has been told to stop watching bills games but that is due to partial blindness; from playing pocket-pool everytime he sees JP

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

And once again, a new QB controversy has become full circle.

Good luck Trent, because this is how Losman's career started off as well.

Sadly, I can see many posters here gradually changing over to Chimp's view point.

Comment

• deepslant
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by JD SabreFan
                          Coincidentaly, Ace too has been told to stop watching bills games but that is due to partial blindness; from playing pocket-pool everytime he sees JP
                          LOL hahaha

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

After JP, Holcomb, Bledsoe, Johnson, Flutie, Van Pelt, Billie Joe Hobert and Todd Collins, the bar for QB greatness is pretty low in Buffalo.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

but with so many busts, the odds are with us that someone has to pan out sooner or later.

Comment

Working...
                              X