PDA

View Full Version : Starting Edwards in 2008 The Wrong Move

Ultra Chimp 1
11-28-2007, 11:14 AM
I don't have any sympathy for Losman, as anyone who reads even a little bit of my posts can attest to. The guy is an awful quarterback. I've been saying this for years, my record is clear.

To be perfectly honest though, I wouldn't start Edwards this week. We only have six losses. We could win out, it's definitely very possible to make the playoffs in the AFC with a 10-6 record.

It's also not exactly out of the realm of possibility to make the post-season with a 9-7 mark, though I agree it's unlikely. Starting Edwards against Washington is probably a mistake and a bad gameday call especially with the loss of Taylor. Remember, we're essentially chasing the Browns for the last playoff berth. The Browns could definitely falter the next couple weeks, or run into bad luck.

I would let Losman stay in until the Browns clinch, or we hit seven or eight losses, not six.

About next season. I don't really know how good Edwards is. I wouldn't start him or Losman in 2008. But I would obviously keep Edwards as the backup and release Losman.

What we should do, what should be on the table; is signing a veteran quarterback. A solid player with a good track record of winning. I don't really see a disadvantage overpaying a QB for one or two year deals. The quarterback position is indispensable, especially this year with the decline of so many great running backs from last season.

I'll make a prediction right now. If Edwards starts next year, his career will barely surpass that of Losman. I bet Edwards will even start in less games than Losman.

We have three gaping holes on our team. One is the lack of a TE. Two is the lack of big, strong, receiver, and three is obviously the quarterback position. The latter two being by far the most important.

So no, I don't forsee Edwards doing anything next season. In fact, there's a very very concrete chance next season could lead to less wins then this season.

The only thing, and I mean the only thing that will prevent disaster from happening is keeping Evans here, signing a wide receiver, and getting a veteran quarterback. If we're not aggressive in the off-season, you can forget about 2008 and extinguish any hopes you douchebags may have about Edward's future.

I want Edwards to succeed just as bad as anyone. But throwing him in next season is simply folly. The right way to do it is to sign a good quarterback with a good track record and let Edwards sit for another two years.

I guarantee by 2009 Edwards will be where we want him in terms of his development. Start him next year and watch his career pay the price

I have to say we should stick Losman back in there. If we lose two more games then start Edwards until the end of the season at which point the best course of action would be to sign a quarterback that Edwards can really learn under for two years. Like I said earlier, who cares if we overpay. We're essentially getting a QB and a coach for Edwards to learn under.

It's like two for the price of one.

I think that's the way to do it.

The Answer
11-28-2007, 11:20 AM
I don't have any sympathy for Losman, as anyone who reads even a little bit of my posts can attest to. The guy is an awful quarterback. I've been saying this for years, my record is clear.

To be perfectly honest though, I wouldn't start Edwards this week. We only have six losses. We could win out, it's definitely very possible to make the playoffs in the AFC with a 10-6 record.

It's also not exactly out of the realm of possibility to make the post-season with a 9-7 mark, though I agree it's unlikely. Starting Edwards against Washington is probably a mistake and a bad gameday call especially with the loss of Taylor. Remember, we're essentially chasing the Browns for the last playoff berth. The Browns could definitely falter the next couple weeks, or run into bad luck.

I would let Losman stay in until the Browns clinch, or we hit seven or eight losses, not six.

About next season. I don't really know how good Edwards is. I wouldn't start him or Losman in 2008. But I would obviously keep Edwards as the backup and release Losman.

What we should do, what should be on the table; is signing a veteran quarterback. A solid player with a good track record of winning. I don't really see a disadvantage overpaying a QB for one or two year deals. The quarterback position is indispensable, especially this year with the decline of so many great running backs from last season.

I'll make a prediction right now. If Edwards starts next year, his career will barely surpass that of Losman. I bet Edwards will even start in less games than Losman.

We have three gaping holes on our team. One is the lack of a TE. Two is the lack of big, strong, receiver, and three is obviously the quarterback position. The latter two being by far the most important.

So no, I don't forsee Edwards doing anything next season. In fact, there's a very very concrete chance next season could lead to less wins then this season.

The only thing, and I mean the only thing that will prevent disaster from happening is keeping Evans here, signing a wide receiver, and getting a veteran quarterback. If we're not aggressive in the off-season, you can forget about 2008 and extinguish any hopes you douchebags may have about Edward's future.

I want Edwards to succeed just as bad as anyone. But throwing him in next season is simply folly. The right way to do it is to sign a good quarterback with a good track record and let Edwards sit for another two years.

I guarantee by 2009 Edwards will be where we want him in terms of his development. Start him next year and watch his career pay the price

I have to say we should stick Losman back in there. If we lose two more games then start Edwards until the end of the season at which point the best course of action would be to sign a quarterback that Edwards can really learn under for two years. Like I said earlier, who cares if we overpay. We're essentially getting a QB and a coach for Edwards to learn under.

Were not going anywhere with Losman that's why he's being benched despite the fact we are still 'mathematically alive' - but in reality the front office knows this isn't a playoff team and we need to look ahead to 2008 and get Edwards some more experience under his belt.

Furthermore the days of letting a QB sit on the bench for a few years to 'develop' are long over. We've already seen a ton of young QB's come in and have success right off the bat and Edwards already demonstrated he's light years ahead of Losman in terms of mechanics and the ability to read an NFL defense.

If we make a run at the playoffs this last month with Edwards it's just an added bonus, but the aim here is to get Edwards ready to make a serious run in 2008.

~The Answer

trapezeus
11-28-2007, 11:29 AM
i guess you can't be the number 1 ultra chimp without a post like that.

who knows what edwards will do from here on out, but the team has a chance at the starting whistle to compete with him in there. something that's not the case with losman. i liked losman. i wanted him to succeed. but he knew he had to build on last year, not go backwards. this undoing is his own problem.

Sitting edwards til 09 is so stupid its hard to even address. "we should get a veteran QB who can win games." well that's an awesome point. i'm sure we'll pick up brady. Oh, wait, you mean journeyman QB's, like what JP is going to become. They are journey because they don't win consistantly.

And like new items, most coaches want a new product, not the older model from a garage sale. Edwards is their guy next year. they need the journeyman as a good back up.

Keep chimping.

JD
11-28-2007, 01:10 PM
What a crock of ****. Assuming he is going to suck, after only watching him play 4 games in which he has a 3-1 record lmao. Why did you even waste your time making this thread?

deepslant
11-28-2007, 01:16 PM

LOL Have you heard of a draft. Marv will fill in the missing pieces in the offseason. Relax, TE will :dink: and dunk with the best of 'em.

acehole
11-28-2007, 01:17 PM
What a crock of ****. Assuming he is going to suck, after only watching him play 4 games in which he has a 3-1 record lmao. Why did you even waste your time making this thread?

What the crock is...is comparing him to Joe Montanna/tom Brady after the same.

PS One of the glorious 3 wins he has he left the game with an injury to the vaulted
Jets who figured out his game after one drive. JP lead the offense to the only TD drive to win the game.

So 2 -1-1 ....and for that some of you have seen enough for greatness.

OpIv37
11-28-2007, 01:18 PM
I want to see a camp competition between a vet QB and Edwards next summer.

raphael120
11-28-2007, 01:21 PM
So...JP sucks...admittedly...but you still want him to play more games this season?

I think you should stick to flingin your own poo.

JD
11-28-2007, 01:22 PM

PS One of the glorious 3 wins he has he left the game with an injury to the vaulted
Jets who figured out his game after one drive. JP lead the offense to the only TD drive to win the game.

Awww poor baby upset because his boyfriend riddin the bench :console:

It will be ok Ace, really it will.

OH, and uh.. Edwards could have thrown a terrible, underthrown pass to Evans too. It was absolute LUCK that Lee came down with the ball. You make that throw a hundred times and 95% of the time it is an interception. Edwards had us in the game, JP got lucky its as simple as that. TRENT ERA, time to hang up the Losman jersey acehole.

deepslant
11-28-2007, 01:23 PM

At least TE has a winning record. JP's what 11-38 or thereabouts. It's felt like it.
My wife told me I was not allowed to watch Bills games anymore for my face has become prematurely wrinkled (from continously squinting at JP).

JD
11-28-2007, 01:27 PM
At least TE has a winning record. JP's what 11-38 or thereabouts. It's felt like it.
My wife told me I was not allowed to watch Bills games anymore for my face has become prematurely wrinkled (from continously squinting at JP).
Coincidentaly, Ace too has been told to stop watching bills games but that is due to partial blindness; from playing pocket-pool everytime he sees JP

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2007, 01:33 PM
And once again, a new QB controversy has become full circle.

Good luck Trent, because this is how Losman's career started off as well.

Sadly, I can see many posters here gradually changing over to Chimp's view point.

deepslant
11-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Coincidentaly, Ace too has been told to stop watching bills games but that is due to partial blindness; from playing pocket-pool everytime he sees JP
LOL hahaha

OpIv37
11-28-2007, 01:36 PM

After JP, Holcomb, Bledsoe, Johnson, Flutie, Van Pelt, Billie Joe Hobert and Todd Collins, the bar for QB greatness is pretty low in Buffalo.

trapezeus
11-28-2007, 03:32 PM
but with so many busts, the odds are with us that someone has to pan out sooner or later.

sdbillsfan2
11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
After JP, Holcomb, Bledsoe, Johnson, Flutie, Van Pelt, Billie Joe Hobert and Todd Collins, the bar for QB greatness is pretty low in Buffalo.

After reading that list , it's hard to imagine there ever was a bar!

Night Train
11-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Chimp Logic was a great CD by the Raving Lunatics.

EDS
11-28-2007, 03:51 PM
You have to be kidding me. If the team is certain Losman is not the answer then he should be benched three weeks ago and they should see what they have in Edwards.

If he is crap the next 5 weeks then it makes a decision on whether to draft or sign a new QB alot easier rather then not knowing what they have. Why waste all of 2008 when you can get a head start on evaluating a potential option now?

JD
11-28-2007, 03:53 PM
You have to be kidding me. Why waste all of 2008 when you can get a head start on evaluating a potential option now?
Because its hard to judge a Rookie QB after only 8 games of professional play. I'd give Edwards at least 16 starts before passing judgement.

acehole
11-28-2007, 04:18 PM
So...JP sucks...admittedly...but you still want him to play more games this season?

I think you should stick to flingin your own poo.

I like his main piont.

I want Edwards to well...do you really think the current Bills roster is a breeding ground for greatness? Experience is important...but you really want a philip rivers situation to put a young QB into. You want a vet on the roster also and JP is not that guy.

I know it is hard for the Edwards guys to fathom this but....

Wonder if he goes in and stinks up the place?

What about his confidence if that should happen?

I think he will have problems NOT because he sucks but because of what I have been trying to say the last few months.

WE HAVE MANY problems beyond the QB postion.

Next year we have a heathy pos and simpson...hopfully draft a DT that can stop the run..some cb's. L Briggs (PIPE) Sign a legit #2 WR with a heathy lynch that is a much better supporting cast to have a QB thrive in the NFL.

trapezeus
11-28-2007, 04:23 PM
but you've also claimed that if those changes are made, losman could do it. i've seen edwards do better with the same tools. therefore, if he can show progress in these 5 games, we know we can go look for those new tools. if he's a bust, we have to think about getting another QB.

Gunzlingr
11-28-2007, 04:46 PM
but you've also claimed that if those changes are made, losman could do it. i've seen edwards do better with the same tools. therefore, if he can show progress in these 5 games, we know we can go look for those new tools. if he's a bust, we have to think about getting another QB.

What exactly has he done better??? NOTHING.

I know he is a rookie, but 1 TD and 5 INTs is unacceptable, especially the 4th quarter ones. You have your heads so far up Trent's ass with all your talk of his greatness, it is a wonder he can walk.

lordofgun
11-28-2007, 05:12 PM
I know he is a rookie

EXACTLY.

HHURRICANE
11-28-2007, 05:32 PM
This thread is bunch of nothing. Trent's a rookie that hopefully will continue to show the next 5 weeks that he can be a legitimate starter for this team.

Losman sucked so the only question is whether Trent can be the guy.

Mitchy moo
11-28-2007, 05:34 PM
This thread is spam at it's worst, please move it accordingly.

acehole
11-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Awww poor baby upset because his boyfriend riddin the bench :console:

It will be ok Ace, really it will.

OH, and uh.. Edwards could have thrown a terrible, underthrown pass to Evans too. It was absolute LUCK that Lee came down with the ball. You make that throw a hundred times and 95% of the time it is an interception. Edwards had us in the game, JP got lucky its as simple as that. TRENT ERA, time to hang up the Losman jersey acehole.

Dont have a losmen jersey..just making a piont.

How about you?
Do you have one..football related or otherwise.

YardRat
11-28-2007, 06:24 PM
I think it's a must to sign a veteran QB this off-season. Whether he's considered good enough and given the opportunity to compete for the starting job or if he's brought in to be the back-up and help coach TE from the sidelines will be determined over the rest of the season and I'll formulate my opinion as the season progresses and eventually ends.

I don't have a problem sitting Edwards next year if the coaches determine that might be the best route to go to develop him. Not that I'm comparing anybody, but look at Garrard in Jacksonville. He was drafted before Leftwich and has been in the league longer sitting behind Byron and others. But look who's starting now and how well he's playing.

acehole
11-28-2007, 06:26 PM

Well fine if 3.25 games is enough to make the above statement then fine for you.

I say the jury is still out...before the annointing.

Rob Johnson had a good start in Jax and everyone was like they are now with edwards.

I did not see enough in those games to say wow Edwards is the man.

That was based on stats and watching the game...and deciding how much of the game was won on his arm or the deffense or other fators. That has not changed for me..I still think the jury is out and 5/1 int to TD rate is alarming....so I went with JP for those reasons plus experience. Jack Delrio had said when ask..that they just had to take away evans...well think about that. If your only real weapon is gone as a Qb what the hell? That was really my other piont during this whole debate was we arent exacty chuck full of talent on this roster..and yes JP is not good enough to overcome that as a qb.... There was enough blame to go around. It is clear JP play has regressed to the piont that he got benched and rightly so. I am saying that alot of factors go into a team or a QB winning or losing and they dont all have to do with them.

I am curious to see what Edwards will do on the road without Lynch also.

I have not seen enough of edwards to know he is the answer.
It is more like we have seen enough of JP to know he is not.

The piont I am trying to make was to the main post.....

is letting Edwards sit until the talent around him has improved through healing of injuries and another draft and another FA period and another year in the system.
..with a vet back up that isnt jp would be a better environment for him to start and thrive in. Who knows if JP had a pass rush or #2 WR or DT who can stop the run would have made for greater career for JP? That debate is over as we will never know.

I dont want to piss away another promising qb's
career...because of lack of support around him.

John Doe
11-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Well fine if 3.25 games is enough to make the above statement then fine for you.

I say the jury is still out...before the annointing.

Rob Johnson had a good start in Jax and everyone was like they are now with edwards.

I did not see enough in those games to say wow Edwards is the man.

That was based on stats and watching the game...and deciding how much of the game was won on his arm or the deffense or other fators. That has not changed for me..I still think the jury is out and 5/1 int to TD rate is alarming....so I went with JP for those reasons plus experience. Jack Delrio had said when ask..that they just had to take away evans...well think about that. If your only real weapon is gone as a Qb what the hell? That was really my other piont during this whole debate was we arent exacty chuck full of talent on this roster..and yes JP is not good enough to overcome that as a qb.... There was enough blame to go around. It is clear JP play has regressed to the piont that he got benched and rightly so. I am saying that alot of factors go into a team or a QB winning or losing and they dont all have to do with them.

I am curious to see what Edwards will do on the road without Lynch also.

I have not seen enough of edwards to know he is the answer.
It is more like we have seen enough of JP to know he is not.

The piont I am trying to make was to the main post.....

is letting Edwards sit until the talent around him has improved through healing of injuries and another draft and another FA period and another year in the system.
..with a vet back up that isnt jp would be a better environment for him to start and thrive in. Who knows if JP had a pass rush or #2 WR or DT who can stop the run would have made for greater career for JP? That debate is over as we will never know.

I dont want to piss away another promising qb's
career...because of lack of support around him.

I think that the main area of talent that Edwards needs to be surrounded by is already in place: a good pass blocking offensive line.

There is no point having him ride the bench and having someone else play to protect his confidence. If he is a good QB then that will never be a problem.

acehole
11-28-2007, 09:11 PM
I think that the main area of talent that Edwards needs to be surrounded by is already in place: a good pass blocking offensive line.

There is no point having him ride the bench and having someone else play to protect his confidence. If he is a good QB then that will never be a problem.

Good piont thanks.

Meathead
11-28-2007, 09:49 PM
having screamed bloody murder that losman needed to be put back under center to give him more time to show whether or not he could continue his steady progress from last year without the handicaps that he had to deal with early season, i have to admit its time to make the switch

i personally felt that losmans pattern last year indicated a steady rise in performance, which it did, and that he was not the main problem in his early season struggles

but after watching him against miami, to a lesser degree against the cheats, and then again against jax, in addition to the first two games, it became apparent that he had at least halted his progression if not started to regress. perhaps he cant handle the pressure cooker of having to perform in the short term with a quick hook hanging over his head, idk, but it was obvious he was sputtering. he just appeared lost and even with his body language i just got the impression he was crumbling under the pressure

now time will tell if it was him or it was a flaw in the whole bills offensive system. but now with the requirement to run the table to have a decent chance to make the playoffs, and even then being probably fitty/fitty, i would make the call to give edwards his shot now. theres a lot to be gained by making the switch now and little to lose so it seems like the only logical choice

i dont think jp 'sucks', its still possible over time he could develop into a good starter, and would love to have him stick around as backup and insurance. but we all know that young qbs have to have egos and im sure his wont let him do that. just like leftwich and culpepper and on and on these guys want to roll the dice and see if someone will give them another chance as the franchise guy so i expect hell be gone pretty quick once this season is over. too bad

and for the record, those of you saying you just knew it all along, well youre full of shinola. you still dont. qb after qb after qb goes thru these situations, sometimes they come out high and sometimes they come out low. sometimes it takes years for a qb to emerge (gannon). and sometimes elite guys crash and burn (cpep warner). you never know until it becomes a pattern and even then it can change. losmans pattern was steadily up last year and this season its taken a uturn. why, who the hell knows, but if you could predict that youd be making millions as a oc or qbc. youre not prescient. you got lucky

SquishDaFish
11-28-2007, 10:00 PM
God I thought this **** would be over with seeing TE is starting now I guess not

JD
11-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Dont have a losmen jersey..just making a piont.

How about you?
Do you have one..football related or otherwise.
Evans. I've retired the Kelly and Flutie :up:

It was either McGahee, Losman or Evans.. glad I made the right choice.

Oaf
11-28-2007, 11:04 PM
The team is still thinking about this year, contrary to popular belief. They feel TE gives them the best shot to get to the playoffs this year over JP. I guess we'll see.

mybills
11-29-2007, 07:02 AM
:bf1:

The Jokeman
11-29-2007, 01:04 PM
I want to see a camp competition between a vet QB and Edwards next summer.
Have you seen the UFA QBs after this season? It's hardly that great. The only way I could see us getting a good veteran QB is through a trade even then you won't get anything really great unless we can somehow convince Carolina to part with Jake Delhomme.

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Get an old timer like Trent Dilfer in here to help him read film and mentor him. Maybe even a guy like touchy Feely from Philly. Alot of things could happen between now and next offseason, including Donovan McNabb being released, Delhomme being released or Brunell being released. There should be ton of serviceable mentors that could help TE along.

acehole
11-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Have you seen the UFA QBs after this season? It's hardly that great. The only way I could see us getting a good veteran QB is through a trade even then you won't get anything really great unless we can somehow convince Carolina to part with Jake Delhomme.

D Anderson is the real deal...and would be an instant upgrade and worth the $$.

JD
11-29-2007, 02:27 PM
mybills is that the ghost in your sig? :snicker:

The Answer
11-29-2007, 02:53 PM
D Anderson is the real deal...and would be an instant upgrade and worth the $$.

No thanks - overrated big time.

Edwards > Derick Anderson

~The Answer

acehole
11-29-2007, 03:02 PM
No thanks - overrated big time.

~The Answer

Really? Wow what are you basing this emotional response on?

Any stats or links?

justasportsfan
11-29-2007, 03:05 PM

~The Answer

that's like saying Holcomb is better than McNabb or AJ Feeley.