PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: JP Losman

ghz in pittsburgh
11-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Forked from: JP Losman (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2219393)

that is what i will be watching. will edwards show more developement from where he was after his first 4 games..

i had three complaints about edwards..

1) he needed to take deep shots - one underthrown bomb to evand in 4 games. I questioned his arm strength. But several reports say he has an true nfl arm, so if that is the case, lets see it please.
2) he threw some crucial picks that cost us points we should have put on the board or put the game in jeopardy at the end.
3) the points we put on the board were field goals far too often, as opposed to touchdowns

If he can improve on all 3 items you mentioned, he will be a complete quality QB in NFL already. To me, that's not realistic for a rookie. Tom Brady did not have a consistent long ball until the last 3 years and you only give Trent 10 games in his rookie season?

To me number 2 is the most critical piece here. Sure the coaching staff may do better to not put him in a bad situation, but he's one who's making decisions on the field. Brady never made bad mistakes at critical times (though he was in his second year when he played). Roethlisberger did make those mistakes in his rookie season but improved a great deal in his second year. I'm holding my breath to see him in this area. Eventually, this is going to be his make or break area of his game.

Most rookies have problems in red zone because of the short field and tighter coverage. It requires a QB to read defense faster (i.e. anticipate better) and deliver accurately. I expect him to do better in this area given his ability. From what I have seen from him so far, he's not as confident in red zone as he's in midfield. Some of the throws he would make in midfield he's not trying in that area. Now that he's seen 5 more games on the side line, seeing how his WR/TE running routes in response to the coverage, I expect him to be a little more confident in those situations.