PDA

View Full Version : More slobbering over Edwards

The Answer
11-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Here is some interesting information from Draftdaddy.com before this past April's draft. All of this is pretty consistent with The Answer's evaluation of this young blue chip prospect that has found himself as the new starting QB of the Buffalo Bills. The Answer bolded some of the key points:

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/blog032007.cfm

Word around the football world is former Stanford quarterback Trent Edwards is a prospect that might really surprise people on draft day. After finally getting healthy and displaying his considerable skills at Pro Day recently, he is picking up some serious momentum leading up to the draft. We know, for a fact, that some respected N.F.L. execs and coaches have privately suggested Edwards might not make it to the 2nd round after his great workout last Wednesday. Even if he isn't selected in round one, just about everyone we've talked to thinks he's a virtual lock to be picked in the top two rounds.

At the Combine, Trent had 14 team interview requests, which is extremely high. He possesses prototype qualities - Size (6042, 231 at the Combine, 10.5 inch hands), speed (4.70 at his pro day), strength (19 bench reps at the Combine despite being very ill and not sleeping from the flu), intelligence (he has a degree from Stanford), toughness (he was hit as much as any QB over 4 seasons starting), character (teams have said his interviews were amongst the best) and build (he and Brady Quinn are in the "freak" category for QBs). Scouts love his arm strength, unusually quick release and footwork. Matter of fact, Bill Walsh, perhaps the greatest offensive football mind ever, has said that Edwards has the best footwork and overall mechanics of any college quarterback he's seen since Joe Montana!

Edwards and Vince Young were the top two quarteback recruits in their class coming out of high school, so this isn't a player that just suddenly appeared on the scene. N.F.L. scouts have been watching him since the moment he arrived at Stanford. The only reason he isn't widely talked about at the top of the draft is because Stanford's struggling teams during his four seasons starting, and because he missed the second half of 2006 with a small broken bone in his foot. No surgery was required, but he didn't recover in time to play in the Senior Bowl or Shrine Game.

Edwards' Pro Day was attended by over 30 N.F.L. personnel, including Mike Martz (Detroit OC), Rick Neuheisel (Baltimore QBs), Dick Curl (Kansas City QBs) and Mike McCoy (Carolina QBs). All the teams listed above are in need of a young, talented quarterback. Out of roughly 60 passes he threw at Pro Day, he missed narrowly on 3 and had some drops due to velocity. He ran on Astroturf but threw on grass, and it rained constantly. Overall, it's tough for a quarterbacks to look better in a workout, so he should only generate stronger admirers as this process continues. He has private workouts scheduled with 4 additional teams.

We are confident Trent won't make us look foolish, as we've been heavily endorsing him as a top prospect since 2005. We haven't seen him projected as a first rounder in mock drafts by prominent N.F.L. writers, but the way things are going it's not too crazy to think he could be there. Think back to 2004 and 2005, who thought J.P. Losman and Jason Campell would be number one picks a month before those drafts? Edwards, in our opinion, has more physical talent than Losman and Campbell, it's just a situation were he wasn't able to show it off at Stanford.

~The Answer<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

The King
11-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Go America, Go Trent, Go Bills!

theanswer74
11-29-2007, 05:44 PM
What a lie. Ive heard many Bills fans here say he has a weak arm.

Jeff1220
11-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have the player who everyone else passed on, but turns out to be awesome? I hope Trent can put an end to the Bills' QB carousel!
:pray:

The Answer
11-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have the player who everyone else passed on, but turns out to be awesome? I hope Trent can put an end to the Bills' QB carousel!

Remember a bunch of teams passed on Montana, Brady, Romo, Hasslebach, Favre, etc too.

Being drafted in the 1st round is meaningless in todays NFL.

~The Answer

RoanokeVABillsFan
11-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks for posting. Good stuff. Hope he lives up to it!

mayotm
11-29-2007, 06:01 PM
What a lie. Ive heard many Bills fans here say he has a weak arm.Yes, many of the "experts" on this board have stated that Edwards has a weak arm. However, that's mostly based on the fact that he hasn't thrown many deep balls in his limited action.

Jeff1220
11-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Remember a bunch of teams passed on Montana, Brady, Romo, Hasslebach, Favre, etc too.

~The Answer

I know. That's why I posted the comment that I did.

Ed
11-29-2007, 06:17 PM
It's exciting reading stuff like this. Let's hope he lives up to the hype. If teams felt that strongly about him, it's surprising he almost fell out of the first day all together and guys like Kolb and Beck got picked ahead of him. He could end up being quite a steal. Some people were furious too that we "wasted" the pick and didn't grab another CB or whatever.

acehole
11-29-2007, 07:00 PM

~The Answer

Yes and we all know what that means.....

Montana, Brady, Romo, Hasslebach, Favre = Edwards wow!

Kenny
11-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Edwards and Vince Young were the top two quarteback recruits in their class coming out of high school, so this isn't a player that just suddenly appeared on the scene. N.F.L. scouts have been watching him since the moment he arrived at Stanford. The only reason he isn't widely talked about at the top of the draft is because Stanford's struggling teams during his four seasons starting, and because he missed the second half of 2006 with a small broken bone in his foot. No surgery was required, but he didn't recover in time to play in the Senior Bowl or Shrine Game.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Just out of curiosity (and this is an honest question, -not trying to start an argument about TE), -but if you really were the #2 QB to come out of high school, -why would you choose to go to Stanford?

This isnt like the #1 punter position, -it's the QB position. So basically, if you're that good, and you're ranked #2 in the nation coming out of high school (meaning you know you're good and have a pretty good chance of going pro), -it doesnt make any sense to go to Stanford?

Oaf
11-29-2007, 07:41 PM
So he's got some speed too supposedly. That could be useful.

acehole
11-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Yes, many of the "experts" on this board have stated that Edwards has a weak arm. However, that's mostly based on the fact that he hasn't thrown many deep balls in his limited action.

Yes and...what are you basing his long ball career in the NFL on exactly?

John Doe
11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Just out of curiosity (and this is an honest question, -not trying to start an argument about TE), -but if you really were the #2 QB to come out of high school, -why would you choose to go to Stanford?

This isnt like the #1 punter position, -it's the QB position. So basically, if you're that good, and you're ranked #2 in the nation coming out of high school (meaning you know you're good and have a pretty good chance of going pro), -it doesnt make any sense to go to Stanford?

Edwards is from California - maybe he grew up to be a Stanford fan.

Stanford has a history of great QBs including Plunkett and Elway. Maybe he wanted to follow a great tradition.

Stanford has high academic standards and Edwards is supposed to be a smart guy - maybe he wanted a good education as well.

Stanford plays in the PAC 10 - plenty of good competition there.

historypete
11-29-2007, 08:42 PM
From what I saw at camp, Edwards has a pretty strong arm. Not as strong as JP's but then again I don't see Trent throwing the ball into the ground like JP does.

I think the main reason for all the checkdowns are two-fold. One, he isn't seasoned at reading defenses so if he doesn't see his inital read he'll throw short. I like this because he isn't taking too many risks, and it shows he is willing to give what the defense gives him. I think with time and experience his checkdown throws will decline and he'll be able to look at his deeper 2nd and 3rd reads.

The second is the type of offense he is being told to run. Fairchild likes dink and dunk, and gameplans accordingly.

I hope over the next few weeks we see him grow as a QB. Keep the ball moving, get first downs, make good decisions and limit his turnovers. He can't continue to throw those bad interceptions, and he needs to produce more points. But, the most important thing is seeing his become more consistant.

MarshawnIsDaMan
11-29-2007, 08:47 PM

Edwards is from Los Gatos, CA. Its about 20 minutes away from Stanford I believe. He was probably a Stanford fan. If I was a major QB coming out of high school, I probably would have went to Georgia Tech because I went to high school about 20 minutes away.

jamze132
11-30-2007, 03:58 AM
From what I saw at camp, Edwards has a pretty strong arm. Not as strong as JP's but then again I don't see Trent throwing the ball into the ground like JP does.

I think the main reason for all the checkdowns are two-fold. One, he isn't seasoned at reading defenses so if he doesn't see his inital read he'll throw short. I like this because he isn't taking too many risks, and it shows he is willing to give what the defense gives him. I think with time and experience his checkdown throws will decline and he'll be able to look at his deeper 2nd and 3rd reads.

The second is the type of offense he is being told to run. Fairchild likes dink and dunk, and gameplans accordingly.

I hope over the next few weeks we see him grow as a QB. Keep the ball moving, get first downs, make good decisions and limit his turnovers. He can't continue to throw those bad interceptions, and he needs to produce more points. But, the most important thing is seeing his become more consistant.
Very well said...

THATHURMANATOR
11-30-2007, 07:35 AM
What a lie. Ive heard many Bills fans here say he has a weak arm.
You are right that people do say that but I scratch my head every time because from what I read on him coming out of the draft was that he had a strong arm. Not a rocket like JP but very good none the less. People just form their own opinions without any research. :ill:

madness
11-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Some people were furious too that we "wasted" the pick and didn't grab another CB or whatever.

It's going to be so fun watching them backpedal if/when Edwards succeeds and finally gives us a stable QB since Kelly.

Tatonka
11-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Edwards is from Los Gatos, CA. Its about 20 minutes away from Stanford I believe. He was probably a Stanford fan. If I was a major QB coming out of high school, I probably would have went to Georgia Tech because I went to high school about 20 minutes away.

yeah.. i would have gone to Virginia Tech regardless of how good I was too.

Tatonka
11-30-2007, 09:38 AM
It's going to be so fun watching them backpedal if/when Edwards succeeds and finally gives us a stable QB since Kelly.

im pretty sure that if (or when as you stated) he does.. that we will all just be happy as hell the team doesnt suck balls.

PromoTheRobot
11-30-2007, 09:53 AM

~The Answer
Being drafted 1st round as a QB is becoming the kiss of death. More flops than hits.

PTR

Tatonka
11-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Being drafted 1st round as a QB is becoming the kiss of death. More flops than hits.

PTR

that is with alot of positions though, right?

the whole draft is a total crap shoot.

trapezeus
11-30-2007, 11:03 AM
probably because the money is so much larger than the other rounds and so much is guaranteed. plus there is so much reputaition on the GM's that cutting the player outright after a year is not an option.

So the players have nothing to prove. And instead of being the best amongst a huge pool, they are amongst the best of the best.

dannyek71
11-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Before we all start drooling more over this guy, look at his TD to int ratio. I am not giving up on TE, he is only a rookie and has not been given an adequate shot to totally prove himself. However, he has shown me nothing more than Kelly Holcumb ever did, and this QB situation is earily similar to that of 2 years ago.

blackonyx89
11-30-2007, 11:46 AM
What Edwards need is a decent Offensive Coordinator and a quality QB Coach, which we don't have now. Don't let great potential go to waste!

raphael120
11-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Before we all start drooling more over this guy, look at his TD to int ratio. I am not giving up on TE, he is only a rookie and has not been given an adequate shot to totally prove himself. However, he has shown me nothing more than Kelly Holcumb ever did, and this QB situation is earily similar to that of 2 years ago.

Oh give it a rest dude.

If you knew anything about our coaching staff you should know how consevative they are, and ESPECIALLY with a rookie QB. You're not going to throw a rookie in there and let him toss the ball all over the place. This Trent Edwards = Kelly Holcomb is a bunch of crap.

JP Losman < Wrecks Grossman

dannyek71
11-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Oh give it a rest dude.

If you knew anything about our coaching staff you should know how consevative they are, and ESPECIALLY with a rookie QB. You're not going to throw a rookie in there and let him toss the ball all over the place. This Trent Edwards = Kelly Holcomb is a bunch of crap.

JP Losman < Wrecks Grossman

Coaching staff or not coaching staff, he still hasn't shown me more than KH ever did. Maybe if they had a better gameplan TE would perform better, throw more than 10 yrds down the field etc..... But he still has yet to do so.

Michael82
11-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Coaching staff or not coaching staff, he still hasn't shown me more than KH ever did. Maybe if they had a better gameplan TE would perform better, throw more than 10 yrds down the field etc..... But he still has yet to do so.
:bf1:

justasportsfan
11-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Lets hope the so called experts are right this time. Guys like Jaws said that JP was most likely the most ready qb in his class for the pros. Then there's Brady.

mybills
11-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Me too...and T_A is right, "more slobbering"...that's what turned this board into a pissing match, and I don't care to see it again. I've always liked both of them, and I hope he does well. :up:

Jimbuktu
11-30-2007, 01:51 PM

This post is absolutely TERRIBLE.

justasportsfan
11-30-2007, 02:00 PM
This post is absolutely TERRIBLE.

I see nothing with that. his post is based on whats already happened. Facts. It's better than those that talk drool over his potential .

mybills
11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
I see nothing with that. his post is based on whats already happened. Facts. It's better than those that talk drool over his potential .
I read it as his opinion. :idunno:

Mitchy moo
11-30-2007, 03:30 PM

It's better than just drooling. Positive press is something we as Buffalo people can never deal with, why I cannot understand. If the press thinks your great / you can play great and you do play great than maybe your opponents will believe it.

Power of positive thinking is something that has eluded Buffalo for years.

Owen DeBoard
11-30-2007, 05:13 PM

~The Answer
Only one exception Peyton Manning was drafted in the first round and in my opinion he is the best qb today.

jaybo_05
12-01-2007, 12:59 PM

Just because he includes a fact in his post doesn't mean that fact necessarily supports his conclusion.
I can say: Trent Edwards has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns, therefore I am a better quaterback than he is, and no one would think that's a good argument. Sometimes people on this board obsess over using "facts", but you have to use them properly.

So to say "he has shown me nothing more than Kelly Holcumb ever did, and this QB situationis earily similar to that of 2 years ago" is simply an opinion. The fact that Trent has thrown 5 ints and 1td does not necessarily make that opinion true

JD
12-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Please stop giving Mikey hope for JP for christs sake. The only thing that matters are wins and with Edwards on the field we have a better chance at doing so.