PDA

View Full Version : Officiating

OpIv37
11-30-2007, 08:41 AM
could someone please explain to me why the refs never check the spot when they overturn the call?

It seems to me that they take forever to make a decision on a challenge, then they don't re check the spot, then they have to return to the replay screen to check the spot. The whole process is unprofessional and time-consuming.

How hard is it just to check the spot when the decision is made on the challenge? Just one more piece of evidence to prove the officials aren't as well-trained and professional as they should be at this level...

Mr. Miyagi
11-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Wow have you run out of things to ***** about?

BlackMetalNinja
11-30-2007, 08:47 AM
I would bet money that THAT will never happen... though I happen to agree with this, it is annoying and a waste of time. Make the call, check the spot and the time, all at once.

hurls
11-30-2007, 08:52 AM

I never do this, but have to agree with Miyagi. We get it, you're pissed the Cowboys won and you feel the Refs caused it. What's next? Another thread on how stupid the Refs looked in their black pants-uniforms?

Dr. Lecter
11-30-2007, 08:56 AM
I have to agree with Op on this. If it happened once or twice, I could see it, but it happens way too much.

It should be standard protocol that when a call is over-turned they check the original spot before announcing the ruling.

hurls
11-30-2007, 08:59 AM
I think it is, they forget, and have to go back to make sure. If it isn't standard procedure there's something wrong with the Refs' association.

Jan Reimers
11-30-2007, 09:04 AM
The officiating in the NFL is the worst in all of professional sports, plain and simple.

They change the outcome of more games with their incompetence and, when given a second chance through the challenge/instant replay system, screw that up about half the time.

Dr. Lecter
11-30-2007, 09:06 AM
The officiating in the NFL is the worst in all of professional sports, plain and simple.

I have to disagree on that one.

The NHL is much worse and the NBA is not much better than the NHL. (Although I do not watch as much NBA.)

hurls
11-30-2007, 09:06 AM

I take it you've never seen an NBA or NHL game? The officiating in the NFL is way better than the NBA, and about equal, maybe, to the NHL.

dannyek71
11-30-2007, 09:12 AM
I think the bigger question is why after a touchback, the refs need to get out the measuring sticks to see if the team got 10 yrds. Cant they just see if it got to the 30 yrd line?

dannyek71
11-30-2007, 09:12 AM

They change the outcome of more games with their incompetence and, when given a second chance through the challenge/instant replay system, screw that up about half the time.

NFL also has the most rules and ambiguity. I think the NFL refs have the most difficult job.

Jan Reimers
11-30-2007, 09:16 AM
I take it you've never seen an NBA or NHL game? The officiating in the NFL is way better than the NBA, and about equal, maybe, to the NHL.
No, I live under a rock. I've probably seen more NBA and NHL games live than you've watched on TV, and I have every sports package offered by DirecTV.

My opinion is that incompetent NFL officiating changes the outcome of more games than in any other professional sport, which is my chief criterion for defining bad officiating.

Your opinion is different than mine, and I respect that.

OpIv37
11-30-2007, 09:19 AM

no- I was watching the Cowboys/Packers game last night and I noticed the officials took forever to overturn TO's reception, and after all that time they STILL didn't know where to place the ball.

There's absolutely no excuse for it. When you print something, do you leave one page on the printer, go back to your desk, then go get the last page, or do you get all the paper at once? When you go to the supermarket, does the cashier scan every item except the last one, take your payment, then ring the last item up separately?

There are thousands of people in the stadium and millions watching on TV, yet they delay the game because they can't handle the job. It wouldn't be tolerated in any other industry and it shouldn't be tolerated for NFL officials.

OpIv37
11-30-2007, 09:21 AM
I think it is, they forget, and have to go back to make sure. If it isn't standard procedure there's something wrong with the Refs' association.

they forget in the time it takes to walk 30 yards to the center of the field? If that's the problem, give them a note pad to write down the yard line.

Forward_Lateral
11-30-2007, 09:23 AM
I think it's only a matter of time before the refs wear headsets.

hurls
11-30-2007, 09:25 AM
i hear ya, either they're stupid, or forgetful. A notebook would suffice, and should be required. Lots of things to remember: time, ball placement, result, what charged timeout is being given, etc...

mybills
11-30-2007, 01:10 PM
I think the bigger question is why after a touchback, the refs need to get out the measuring sticks to see if the team got 10 yrds. Cant they just see if it got to the 30 yrd line?
Maybe they're related to Gumbel.

Owen DeBoard
11-30-2007, 05:39 PM
How about how they called the pass interference on one of the Green Bay corners. They threw the flag about 5 seconds after the play happened. Im with Chris Collinsworth that they should start challenging them plays because that is a game changing play.