• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

About Today's Game....

A couple thoughts a few hours before the game today.

* I don't know why there is so much universal celebration about A-Train being out on this board. It's not a good thing for this offense. I along with everyone else is excited Fred Jackson gets a chance to start. Frankly, I think he's a much better option at #2 behind Lynch than Wright, at least right now anyway.

But A-Train's absence will hamper an offense that's already been far too conservative. I guarentee you the Bills will run a lot more "maximum protection" passing plays in which they send fewer receivers out in patterns. This stems from Thomas being the best pass blocker of the RB crop. Even when Lynch was healthy Thomas played in a lot of a passing downs primarily for this reason. I think those hoping the Bills would open it up a lot more with Edwards are going to be dissapointed, at least today.

* Speaking of "opening it up", it would be nice to see this staff actually take a chance against a good team. Even though they lost (barely) at New England last week, you have to admire the way Andy Reid attacked the Patriots. A backup QB throws close to 50 passes, and not of the "dink and dunk" variety either. Jimmy Johnson had blitzes on almost every down. I'd LOVE to see the Bills staff actually play to win rather than "keeping it close" on the road. This above all else is what makes me not like this staff.

* If we're winning today, we must get some big plays from our defense. Schobel, Crowell, Whitner. Somebody has to make a few plays, and I'm not talking about tackles for a loss. Jason Campbell is a good quarterback but he can get forced into mistakes.

* As for Edwards, I'm obviously excited he's starting. No matter how he plays, he can't possibly play worse than Losman has the past three weeks, or pretty much his entire road career for that matter. I'm interested in seeing how he handles pressure, how he gets the ball off and the accuracy on his passes. I REALLY hope Fairchild calls a few long passing plays so the clowns that think his arm is weak can finally shut it.

Having said that, I don't expect much from this offense today. I'm concerned the offensive approach will be coaching scared yet again, especially with Lynch and Thomas both out.

Prediction: I'm not making one. But win or lose, I will be happy if this team plays with some balls on the road for once, and by saying that I'm talking about the coaches more than the players. I don't care if Trent throws 5 picks today, PLAY TO WIN.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: About Today's Game....

I didn't comment about Taylor, because I really don't know how the Skins are going to handle it. Personally, I think it would be very tough to function fully because of it. I don't think it's something you can recover from in a few days. It's one thing to talk about him on a mesage board. It's another thing for these guys to be able to just quickly "move on" so quickly just because it's "their job".

The Skins' will be as emotional as ever today, fired up all over the field. But mentally I highly doubt they're prepared to play football. I'm sure their practices this week have been anything but smooth. THe Bills, in an unfortunate circumstance, should have the advantage today, if they attack a team that could mentally be a mess.

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla *****
      • Jul 2002

Good posting, Pat. i'm concerned with this game because our offense has been struggling. Hopefully Trent can create a much needed spark. The running game is obviously a concern.
      Losman has been so awful the past few weeks that i think Edwards will be a breath of fresh air. i hope he's able to generate some points.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

A few more things of note:

* Ian Eagle and Solomon Wilcotts are doing the game for CBS. Ewwww. At 12:40pm the tribute for Taylor starts.

* Let me repeat what I said in my first post. Anyone who thinks Trent can't chuck the ball is just silly. The problem is they're not letting him throw the ball downfield enough (or at least during his first run as starter). See this link (which btw is an excellent game preview and about half way through revisit his 50-yard pass to Evans vs Baltimore (on the money)
        The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

* Trent certainly hasn't had the luxury of playing against a lot of bad defenses. Washington is ranked 9th in the NFL in defense. Baltimore is 4th, Dallas is in the top 10 as well and of course NE (whom he didnt start but played all but first series in week three) However, he DOES need to start turning opportunities into more points, we can all agree on that.

* Last thing, I'm WORRIED about our nickel package. Jauron/Fewell are dissapointed with Youboty to the point he isn't even the nickel back anymore. Last week, the team moved Leonard to FS, Wilson to Strong safety and moved Whitner into the slot with the nickel package. It was a DISASTER. I'm petrified Chris Cooley is going to have a big game.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by shelby
          Good posting, Pat. i'm concerned with this game because our offense has been struggling. Hopefully Trent can create a much needed spark. The running game is obviously a concern.
          Losman has been so awful the past few weeks that i think Edwards will be a breath of fresh air. i hope he's able to generate some points.
          Jay Novacek... picked us to win.

Comment

• shelby
            The Vanilla *****
            • Jul 2002

This is the first time we're facing Manboobs, aka Gregg Williams. Don't tell me he doesn't want to kick the Bills' collective ass. Hopefully he'll be disappointed...

Comment

• mybills
              81 st zoner
              • Jul 2002

Good point about ATrain. The kid can catch then take off. I'm sure they know that.
              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• HAMMER
                I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                • Jul 2003

I think if we score more than them we win, see how much easier that is.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by shelby
                  This is the first time we're facing Manboobs, aka Gregg Williams. Don't tell me he doesn't want to kick the Bills' collective ass. Hopefully he'll be disappointed...

i predict about 7 sacks today

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Williams is going to come out uber aggressive, I see him bringing alot of blitzes to try and confuse the rookie and that defense is going to be extremely emotional and pumped up.

Even as a Bills fan playing the Skins, its hard for me to get really pumped up for this game.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X