Bills ALMOST control own playoff destiny!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Bills ALMOST control own playoff destiny!

(NOTE- this is edited. Originally I said the Bills would lose a tiebreaker down the line to Tennessee. Happily, I was wrong-- read on)

Ok guys. I just finished up the research, and though I wouldn't take it as "official", I'm pretty sure I'm correct. I'm sure some of you will do your own research, so let me me know If I'm incorrect (I'm 99% certain I'm not)

But according to my research, if the Buffalo Bills can win-out in their final four games (And it's certainly possible) then we're only one loss away by Tennesee from having potentially one hell of a tiebreaker.

Now before reading, KEEP IN MIND if we do not win out this doesn't apply, and for all purposes, our season is over. BUT..

If the Bills win out they will finish 10-6. Cleveland is one game ahead of us currently, but if we win out that means they lose to us and can finish no better than 10-6.

If Tennesee loses just ONE of their remaining four games, they can then finish no better than 10-6.

IF the Bills win out, Denver nor any other non-division leading team can catch us (thanks to Denver losing today, that was HUGE).

If we win out and finish tied with Cleveland at 10-6, that will have meant we beat them heads up. If we finish tied with just Cleveland at 10-6, we'd win the tiebreaker because we beat them head to head. If Tennessee loses one more game, we'd also win the first tiebreaker (head to head) because we'd be 1-0 vs Clev and Tenn, while Tenn would be 0-0 and Clev would be 0-1.

For the other scenario; let's say the Bills win out, and Cleveland stumbles and finishes 9-7. Let's say that Tennessee finishes with one more loss and also ends up at 10-6. We'd LOSE the tiebreaker. Here's how:

1- Head to Head (We didnt play each other, that would be void)

2- Conference Record (If we win out, we'll finish 7-5. I've said Tenny has to lose one more game. They're currently 4-4 in conference play. Their last four games all are against AFC teams. if they lose one more game, the best they can do in conference play is also 7-5, so tiebreaker #2 would be void)

If we finished tied with Tennesee, we would WIN a tiebreaker with them, based on TIEBREAKER #3

Common Games (Minimum of Four)
    Tenn and Buffalo have both played Jacksonville, Denver, Cincinnati and the Jets. Tenn is 1-3 currently vs these teams (beat Jags, lost to Jags, Den and Cinci) and they still play the Jets. The BEST they could do is 2-3. The Bills are 2-2 vs those teams (Beat Jets twice, lost to Jags and Denver). They are already in at 2-2.

The Bills would BEAT Tenn in a heads-up-tiebreaker based on tiebreaker number three.
    =======================================================
    HERE is another way the Bills WOULD make the playoffs..

The Bills win out, Cleveland loses ONLY to us to finish 10-6, and Tennessee finishes with one or more losses to finish no better than 10-6.

in a three-team tiebreaker, the FIRST tiebreaker is
    1- Head to Head. We'd win this tiebreaker by beating Cleveland.. (Tenn doesn't play either team)

We'd also make the playoffs if we win out, and Tennesee loses two of their last four games.

The Titans have a tough final month, so one or more losses is certainly possible.

They finish with:
    San Diego
    @ Kansas City
    New York Jets
    @ Indy

(Having Pitt stay within 1 game of Indy going into the final week would certainly help the Bills cause, as INdy would need to win that game in Week 17)

At any rate, as of right now we are very much still alive; but we MUST win all four of our remaining games.
    Last edited by patmoran2006; 12-02-2007, 08:08 PM.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • BillyT92679
    • Jul 2002

Re: The Bills Playoff Situation

Good pickup!
    Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• The Answer
      The Plagiarist
      • Mar 2007

Jax is most likely a lock, already beat us anyway - so there's one spot left we are jockeying for.

Ten still has a game at Indy and next week at home against the chargers and a suddenly resurgent LT (have to figure they will lose at Indy no matter what bringing them to 6 losses)

Cle goes to NY to face a jets team that has won 2 of 3, then they have us. This is a must win for us no matter which way you slice it.

With The Young Gun getting better and better it's going to be hard for any team to beat us down the stretch - Look out because we are about to get real hot and if we run the table we are truly in control of our own destiny this time....

~The Answer

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

The Indy game sounds tough but it may end up being a meaningless game to them because of their win today. They look like a lock for 2nd place in the AFC.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by The Answer
          Jax is most likely a lock, already beat us anyway - so there's one spot left we are jockeying for.

Ten still has a game at Indy and next week at home against the chargers and a suddenly resurgent LT (have to figure they will lose at Indy no matter what bringing them to 6 losses)

Cle goes to NY to face a jets team that has won 2 of 3, then they have us. This is a must win for us no matter which way you slice it.

With The Young Gun getting better and better it's going to be hard for any team to beat us down the stretch - Look out because we are about to get real hot and if we run the table we are truly in control of our own destiny this time....

~The Answer
          I didn't count Jacksonville, because we're not catching them. Our realistic hope by winning out is taking the second spot from Cleveland and Tennessee. Arizona did us a HUGE favor by beating the Browns today, which gives us the chance to win a tiebreaker over them now should we win out.

As outlined before, Tenn has to lose at least one game to finish no better than 10-6, and if they do and we finish tied (should we win out) based on tiebreaker #3 (common games) we would beat them, 2-2 vs 2-3.

The Browns we'd obviously beat on tiebreaker one (head to head) and Tenn didn't play either of us, which would eliminate Cleveland, bring it down to us and Tenn, and we'd win that tiebreaker too (see above

It's basically going to take TWO thing to make the playoffs for Buffalo
          1- Win the last four games
          2- Tenn losses at least one of their last four.

Comment

• chubluv
            BillsZone bowling team MVP
            • Jan 2003

Re: Bills ALMOST control own playoff destiny!

This is what its all about.

We are in 5th place
            Clump is on the IR
            Chubluv average is 167
            Yaz average is 179[/B]

BDZ
            Become a member of BDZ !!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Here is for the "drunk with optimism" Bills fan.

We "technically" could still make the playoffs even if we lost to Cleveland in two weeks, won the other three and finished 9-7.

But for that to happen:
              Cleveland would have to lose ALL three of their other remaining games(@ Jets, @ Cinci, at home vs SF) and finish 8-8.

Tenn would have to lose at least TWO of their last four games (SD, @KC, NYJ, @ INdy) to finish 9-7 (We'd still beat them in a tiebreaker #3 record vs common opponents)

Denver and Houston would have to lose at least one more game (they'd only be able to finish at best 8-8)

I suppose even this is possible; though I dont see ANY WAY the Browns lose ALL three of those games to scrub teams, so we basically better win out or we're done.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Take care of our own business and let the chips fall where they may.

Next up...Miami.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Last scenario (yes, pain in the ass but at least you're getting some facts from me today)

We lose ONE of our last four, but it ISNT to Cleveland.. And we finish 9-7.

Clev would then have to win ALL three of their other games (@Jets, @ Cinci, SF) to finish better than us at 10-6. So if they lost ONE of those games, they'd finish 9-7 and be down to us on a tiebreaker still.

Tenn would still have to lose 2 of 4 to finish no better than 9-7 and the tiebreaker would be the same as the above mentioning, we'd beat them to.

Den would have to lose ONE game over their last four, and Houston couldn't catch us if we win 3 of four including a win over Cleveland.

Holy ****, we are still in this. And the last three games are all tough, but all winnable.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

here is the playoff tiebreaker format.

Comment

• Oaf
                      Do you read what you write?
                      • Jun 2007

At 9-7, we'd lose tiebreakers to Den and Hou?

Say we win against Cleveland, but drop one against an NFC opponent in the Eagles or Giants, would that be better?

Comment

• Oaf
                        Do you read what you write?
                        • Jun 2007

Ah, you answered it before I could finish typing my question.

That last one seems a little bit more realistic to me for some reason.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Oaf
                          At 9-7, we'd lose tiebreakers to Den and Hou?

Say we win against Cleveland, but drop one against an NFC opponent in the Eagles or Giants, would that be better?
                          That would be better for conference record but not common opponents.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

If Tenn wins out it doesnt matter what we do.

If they lose one game, at best they could only match our conference record. We'll win a tiebreaker over Tenn if it comes down to the two of us. We'll also own a tiebreaker with Cleveland.. IF we beat them.

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

and all of this to get into the playoffs and play new england.. haha.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X