PDA

View Full Version : So did you see any improvements from Edwards this time around?

ghz in pittsburgh
12-03-2007, 12:02 PM
But it's a game against a quality defense. I know even if he wins handily next week, it could easily be discarded as "It's Miami", and I may be in that crowd.

As I mentioned last week, I suspect reducing his INT to TD ratio may be a more manageable goal at this point and he did that yesterday. I still like to see a little more production in the red zone from him, but I'm willing to be patient on that one. Some plays, like the 3rd-2 play where Wright got stuffed for no gain, is a function of the QB changing plays at LOS because I could see from my TV that they had no chance based on where the defense lined up. At this point of his career, I doubt Edwards is given or should be given the responsibility of changing plays.

I actually think his decision process is very good yesterday. By NFL standard, he did not have that good a game. But even for his missed throws, he's going to single covered receivers. He's more decisive, which gave defense less chance of reading into his intentions. In fact after the 1st quarter near INT, I don't think the Skins got any sniff to intercept a pass.

I remember reading somewhere that ESPN's Jaw commented on Edwrads after the 1st Jets game that Edwards going through his reads as quickly as anyone he's seen outside of Brady. Quick read, decisive, and a quick release, Wow, I don't know how many QBs in NFL has that combination. Remember these are non-coachable traits. We all had hoped that when Losman get seasoned in NFL, he is able to read defenses better and faster (some QBs actually do accomplish that). But Edwards is a rookie; just imagine when he gets seasoned in NFL.

He is a rookie. I just can't stress that enough, after watching Roethlisberger's development here in Pittsburgh. I hate to compare him to Brady but I truly believe that if Edwards ever continues his development, he's going on the path of Brady where the biggest asset is his head. Roethlisberger, Vince Young, their rookie success relied greatly on their physical ability. To this date, I'd say Roethlisberger's strength is in his ability to extend plays by his 260lb frame and good feet. When he ages or injury takes its toll, he's going to slow down. Brady, on the other hand, could be there for a long while. If Edwards has a personal QB coach like Brady has, I wish they'd push him hard this off seson, watching a lot of films to get used to NFL defenses and transform the body physically like so many rookies going from 1st to 2nd year.

Wasn't Edwards the first draft pick that the Bills signed this summer? Maybe he doesn't need that much of a push after all in the off-season.

TigerJ
12-03-2007, 01:01 PM
There were times in the game when I actually thought he had regressed as he threw several inaccurate passes. When I checked the game states, they were very good, so the accuracy issue was only present on a handful of plays, not to mention the fact that Royal, Evans, and Reed all had drops. Statistically, Edwards had a better day than Campbell even discounting Campbell's int. on a great defensive play by McGee and Tripplett. Edwards also had a couple of fairly deep passes, one to Evans and the big one on the final drive to Reed that put the Bills into position for Lindell to kick the FG. The confidence to throw deep, when the need is there is huge, and an area where he seemed to improve.

Mudflap1
12-03-2007, 01:06 PM
No costly mistakes, which was good. He makes progressions, which is a big deal for a rookie. I thought he outplayed Campbell, who kept going to Cooley. Would've like to have seen a touchdown, but overall a solid game for an emotional road victory.

Meathead
12-03-2007, 01:19 PM
its a lot more important to not create turnovers than throw td passes so on that front im satisfied. you can always run the ball in but you cant undo a to

still at some point hes gonna have to start tossing tds to open up the run. those stats showing better running under jp are no coincidence. not sure how much is trent and how much is steve suxalot but if they dont get into the ez they will lose most games fo sho

deepslant
12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
FJ will have a huge day against the phish. Look for 2 TD's around the ends.

TE will finally find the end zone. 2 TD's before giving way to Hammy in the 4th.

Finally a blow out with the phish totally squished.

justasportsfan
12-03-2007, 01:37 PM
There were times in the game when I actually thought he had regressed as he threw several inaccurate passes. When I checked the game states, the were very good, so the accuracy issue was only present on a handful of plays, not to mention the facte that Royal, Evans, and Reed all had drops. Statistically, Edwards had a better day than Campbell even discounting Campbell's int. on a great defensive play by McGee and Tripplett. Edwards also had a couple of fairly deep passes, one to Evans and the big one on the final drive to Reed that put the Bills into position for Lindell to kick the FG. The confidence to throw deep when the need is there is huge, and an area where he seemed to improve.
I too thought he regressed in the 1st 3 qtrs. He made up for it in that last drive. I'm not complaining. He made his first clutch pass and it was a beauty.

On looking better than Cambell , Trent had a running game where Cambell didn't. The stats didn't tell the whole story.

In the process of Trent experiment, all I ask of him is that he doesn't lose games for us. I know it's gonna be hard considering the OC he plays for. Good job on the road.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I see it differently because, I guess, I was not looking for results. All of his throws was to single covered receivers; most of the time, OPEN receivers (however small open window). The defense did not for once keyed on what his next target was. That, to me, is a marked improvement from his 1st go-around where he stared down receivers at times. It may also explain why the Redskins not getting close to pick him off after the first couple of passes of the game.

Jeff1220
12-03-2007, 02:50 PM
I liked what I saw. TD passes is a pretty overrated stat, as teams do sometimes run the ball in, but this team needs to get in the EZ somehow! That is not all on the QB imo.

justasportsfan
12-03-2007, 02:51 PM
TD passes is a pretty overrated stat, huh?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-03-2007, 03:01 PM
I
TD passes is a pretty overrated stat,

Yeah.... HUH?

:bad:

Jeff1220
12-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Why do I have to explain this? "TD passes," as a stat, is overrated. Try this hypothetical, yet realistic circumstance: A QB slings the ball all over the field, moving the chains. The team gets inside the 10 and the decides to run the ball in. No TD pass on the stats, yet the end result is the same - 6 pts on the board. The QB did a fine job moving the ball down the field, but he didn't personally throw it into the endzone. Who cares, as long as it gets in the EZ, is my point.

justasportsfan
12-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Why do I have to explain this? "TD passes," as a stat, is overrated. Try this hypothetical, yet realistic circumstance: A QB slings the ball all over the field, moving the chains. The team gets inside the 10 and the decides to run the ball in. No TD pass on the stats, yet the end result is the same - 6 pts on the board. The QB did a fine job moving the ball down the field, but he didn't personally throw it into the endzone. Who cares, as long as it gets in the EZ, is my point.
I'd rather the qb have the ability throw TD's than put the ST unit in a position to kick fg's all the time.

shelby
12-03-2007, 03:17 PM
i liked what i saw yesterday. i admire his poise; he doesn't get that "deer in the headlights" look that JP so often sported. The scramble was good, and he had a few deeper passes that impressed me. i think he will be a decent QB as he matures.

Good job by the rookie!

HHURRICANE
12-03-2007, 03:30 PM
I continue to not understand this board.

The game is going to be replayed so I want everyone to tell me where he missed his opportunity to put 7 points on the board. He has to have a play called to the endzone for him to get 7 points.

I believe there was one toss into the endzone that hit Evans in the hands so tell me how that's his fault.

Look, he started out shaky and I was like "oh, no" but it was more likely nerves and as the game wore on he looked great. He finished completeing 61% of his passes and they were some tough throws he made in there.

You folks need to watch the rookies and, more importantly, the second year players in this league because he looks the best of the bunch.

I understand not crowning the guy our savior but geez most people outside of Buffalo are pretty damn impressed.

shelby
12-03-2007, 04:29 PM
B+ Quarterbacks: Trent Edwards never got the Bills into the end zone, but he directed five drives that ended with field goals. None was more impressive than the last one as he marched the Bills into position for Rian Lindell's winning kick in less than a minute, with no timeouts. There were times when Edwards struggled, but he took a few more shots downfield than he had in previous starts, and he showed tremendous poise late in the game. He finished with a career-high 257 yards passing and did not throw a pick.

Game Day Grades (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071203/SPORTS03/712030312)

Jeff1220
12-04-2007, 09:18 AM
I'd rather the qb have the ability throw TD's than put the ST unit in a position to kick fg's all the time.

You missed the point completely.

madness
12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
TE wasn't perfect but a bunch of our drives stalled due to penalties, dropped passes and Royal's fumble.

It's kind of unfair to blame TE for those types of things.

RockStar36
12-04-2007, 12:27 PM
No turnovers and no sacks is a big deal. I was overly frustrated for a good portion of the afternoon with the lack of touchdowns, however I'm willing to overlook it for now since he is a rookie. Also I was really impressed with the final drive and I want to give him a ton of credit for that. He got it done when it mattered the most. I've always been a JP supporter but when I look back on it I highly doubt JP could've gotten them in FG range the way TE did.

ddaryl
12-04-2007, 12:35 PM
he sees the filed better then JP. All we can do now is allow him to develope and become a finisher.

The Answer
12-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Trent Studwards is going to age like fine Italian wine.

Just watching him deliver a laser to Josh Reed in the clutch was a thing of beauty. Can't wait to see what he does against the fish this week!

~The Answer

ghz in pittsburgh
12-04-2007, 12:56 PM
One thing I forget to mention is about those corner blitz that gave Edwards lots of trouble in NY. Did any one of you see the Redskins do any of that on Sunday? I remember seeing Edwards getting rid of the ball (to Evans) in the face of a blitz once but that was straight from the middle.

Of course not directly dealing with a corner blitz means very little. Manning and Brady routinely point out those blitzes to their backs/TEs so they got picked up. From the TV screen, it's just hard for us to tell whether Edwards improved in that particular area.