X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

More playoff talk.

So if we beat Miami and SD beats Tennessee, I was thinking that we may have our destiny in our own hands.

If that happens, assuming Cleveland also wins this week, the standings would look like this:

Cleveland 8-5 (6-4)
    Buffalo 7-6 (6-5)
    Tennessee 7-6 (4-5)

Then assuming the Bills win out and the other two teams do the best they can, Tennessee finishing 3-0 and Cleveland 2-1 (loss to Buffalo), the standings would look like this:

Tennessee 10-6 (7-5)
    Buffalo 10-6 (7-5)
    Cleveland 10-6 (7-5)

When 3 teams are tied, you break any ties within divisions first. Since all 3 teams are in different divisions, this doesn’t matter.

The next tiebreaker is the head to head sweep. This occurs when one team has beat both other teams. In this case, neither Cleveland or Buffalo have played Tennessee. So again, this tiebreaker doesn’t work.

Next tiebreaker is conference record and as you can see, we’d all be tied.

Next tiebreaker would be record vs. common opponents (minimum of 4). Again, there were not 4 common opponents between all 3 teams. So this tiebreaker is again skipped.

Next tiebreaker would be strength of victory. This can change, but based on the assumption that the teams above finished the way I laid it out and working off current W/L records the tiebreaker would work out as such:

Tennessee – 52 wins
    Buffalo – 39 wins
    Cleveland – 38 wins

Much of the Tennessee strength of victory comes from the fact that we’re assuming that they beat Indy in week 17 (10 wins).

All of that means, that if Tennessee goes 3-1 (losing to SD), Cleveland finishes 3-1 (losing to Buffalo) and we finish 4-0, we would miss out on the last spot.

Of course if Tennessee losses to both SD and Indy and everything else falls into place, they would finish at 9-7 and Buffalo and Cleveland would both finish 10-6 and we’d nail the head to head tiebreaker. (We beat Cleveland in just about every tiebreaker, Head to head, common opponents and strength of victory).

The kicker to this whole thing is that if Cleveland losses another game to finish 9-7, and it’s us and Tennessee at 10-6 (7-5) we’d also beat Tennessee on tiebreaker. Follow me.

Buffalo 10-6 (7-5)
    Tennessee 10-6 (7-5)
    Cleveland 9-7 (doesn’t matter)

No head to head
    Same conf record
    Common games as follows:

Tennessee 2-3
    Jax – W
    Jax – L
    Cin – L
    Den – L
    NYJ – W (assuming)

Buffalo 3-2
    Jax – L
    Cin – W
    Den – L
    NYJ – W
    NYJ - W

So the kick in the pants is that if we’re head to head with either, team we’d win the tiebreaker.

But if all 3 tie at 10-6, we’d most likely lose.

Now what if all 3 finish 9-7? Please save the “No way 9-7 gets into the playoffs in the AFC!” I think that the only way this works out for us is if we beat Cleveland. So that means that we will have lost to one of the NFC teams we play. Tennessee losses to both Indy and SD (Very possible) and Cleveland goes down to Buffalo and we’ll say one of the road games (at NYJ or at Cin). If this happens, we finish as such:

Buffalo 9-7 (7-5)
    Cleveland 9-7 (6-6)
    Tennessee 9-7 (6-6)

We would get the spot on straight Conf. Tiebreaker. If course this is only if one of the 5-7 teams doesn’t finish 4-0. Then they’d also finish 9-7 and I’d have to rework the tiebreakers.
    Resign our own guys!
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Re: More playoff talk.

this reminds me of the end of last year. winning out will be the hardest part.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

So if we lose one game to a Non-AFC opponent and cleveland / Tenn. lose to a AFC opponent, their conference record is worse than ours and we still can earn a berth @ 9-7.

Comment

• Patrick76777
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
        So if we lose one game to a Non-AFC opponent and cleveland / Tenn. lose to a AFC opponent, their conference record is worse than ours and we still can earn a berth @ 9-7.

If my figures are right. Which they should be.
        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Drev8
          • Aug 2004

Man do we need San Diego to beat Tenn this week. It's almost as important as us taking care of business with Miami.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
            I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
            • May 2005

I have to say... I think this is mostly irrelevant at this point, but I love your work Patrick! You are the master of Playoff Scenarios!

Comment

• Patrick76777
              • Jul 2002

I thought this would get more play.
              Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Patrick76777
                I thought this would get more play.
                I like it and think that it's awesome how you figured this all out. I think alot of people are afraid of hearing the word "playoffs" and the Bills here in the same sentence, we have been disappointed for so many years in a row now.

I for one feel that every dog has it's day, whatever day that is.

Comment

• arsenal
                  • Sep 2005

good stuff... sucks that you'll lose this week though, but im sure next weeks playoff scenerio thread will be just as realistic as this one!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                    Roways rooking ahread!
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by arsenal
                    good stuff... sucks that you'll lose this week though, but im sure next weeks playoff scenerio thread will be just as realistic as this one!
                    Huh?? What bridge do you guard??

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Patrick what happens if we go 3-1 losing only to Cleveland (makes us 9-7), Cleveland goes 2-2 beating us (I can see them losing to Jets and Cincy, makes them 9-7), and Tennessee goes 3-1 (lose to Indy and KC).

How does that stack up then?

Comment

• juice
                        • Aug 2003

This weeks game against the Phins could be tough especially if Lynch isn't back.. Bills better not sleep.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Patrick76777
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                          Patrick what happens if we go 3-1 losing only to Cleveland (makes us 9-7), Cleveland goes 2-2 beating us (I can see them losing to Jets and Cincy, makes them 9-7), and Tennessee goes 2-2 (lose to Indy and SD).

How does that stack up then?
                          I assume you meant Tenn goes 2-2 and losses to Indy and SD.

Buffalo 9-7 (6-6)
                          Cleveland 9-7 (6-6)
                          Tennessee 9-7 (6-6)

And I just figured it out, if this happened, we would get rocked in S.O.V. Tennessee gets the spot.

The only way that we can lose to Cleveland and still get into the playoffs is if the Browns lose the other 3 games (SF, Jets, Cincy) to finish 8-8. That puts us and Tenn both at 9-7 (6-6) and we would once again win on Common opponents.
                          Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                            Roways rooking ahread!
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Patrick76777
                            I assume you meant Tenn goes 2-2 and losses to Indy and SD.

Buffalo 9-7 (6-6)
                            Cleveland 9-7 (6-6)
                            Tennessee 9-7 (6-6)

And I just figured it out, if this happened, we would get rocked in S.O.V. Tennessee gets the spot.

The only way that we can lose to Cleveland and still get into the playoffs is if the Browns lose the other 3 games (SF, Jets, Cincy) to finish 8-8. That puts us and Tenn both at 9-7 (6-6) and we would once again win on Common opponents.
                            Which is a possibility.

Comment

• Patrick76777
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
                              Which is a possibility.
                              And I'll post one of these as long as it is possible.
                              Resign our own guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X