PDA

View Full Version : More playoff talk.

Patrick76777
12-05-2007, 08:48 AM
So if we beat Miami and SD beats Tennessee, I was thinking that we may have our destiny in our own hands.

If that happens, assuming Cleveland also wins this week, the standings would look like this:

Cleveland 8-5 (6-4)
Buffalo 7-6 (6-5)
Tennessee 7-6 (4-5)

Then assuming the Bills win out and the other two teams do the best they can, Tennessee finishing 3-0 and Cleveland 2-1 (loss to Buffalo), the standings would look like this:

Tennessee 10-6 (7-5)
Buffalo 10-6 (7-5)
Cleveland 10-6 (7-5)

When 3 teams are tied, you break any ties within divisions first. Since all 3 teams are in different divisions, this doesn’t matter.

The next tiebreaker is the head to head sweep. This occurs when one team has beat both other teams. In this case, neither Cleveland or Buffalo have played Tennessee. So again, this tiebreaker doesn’t work.

Next tiebreaker is conference record and as you can see, we’d all be tied.

Next tiebreaker would be record vs. common opponents (minimum of 4). Again, there were not 4 common opponents between all 3 teams. So this tiebreaker is again skipped.

Next tiebreaker would be strength of victory. This can change, but based on the assumption that the teams above finished the way I laid it out and working off current W/L records the tiebreaker would work out as such:

Tennessee – 52 wins
Buffalo – 39 wins
Cleveland – 38 wins

Much of the Tennessee strength of victory comes from the fact that we’re assuming that they beat Indy in week 17 (10 wins).

All of that means, that if Tennessee goes 3-1 (losing to SD), Cleveland finishes 3-1 (losing to Buffalo) and we finish 4-0, we would miss out on the last spot.

Of course if Tennessee losses to both SD and Indy and everything else falls into place, they would finish at 9-7 and Buffalo and Cleveland would both finish 10-6 and we’d nail the head to head tiebreaker. (We beat Cleveland in just about every tiebreaker, Head to head, common opponents and strength of victory).

The kicker to this whole thing is that if Cleveland losses another game to finish 9-7, and it’s us and Tennessee at 10-6 (7-5) we’d also beat Tennessee on tiebreaker. Follow me.

Buffalo 10-6 (7-5)
Tennessee 10-6 (7-5)
Cleveland 9-7 (doesn’t matter)

No head to head
Same conf record
Common games as follows:

Tennessee 2-3
Jax – W
Jax – L
Cin – L
Den – L
NYJ – W (assuming)

Buffalo 3-2
Jax – L
Cin – W
Den – L
NYJ – W
NYJ - W

So the kick in the pants is that if we’re head to head with either, team we’d win the tiebreaker.

But if all 3 tie at 10-6, we’d most likely lose.

Now what if all 3 finish 9-7? Please save the “No way 9-7 gets into the playoffs in the AFC!” I think that the only way this works out for us is if we beat Cleveland. So that means that we will have lost to one of the NFC teams we play. Tennessee losses to both Indy and SD (Very possible) and Cleveland goes down to Buffalo and we’ll say one of the road games (at NYJ or at Cin). If this happens, we finish as such:

Buffalo 9-7 (7-5)
Cleveland 9-7 (6-6)
Tennessee 9-7 (6-6)

We would get the spot on straight Conf. Tiebreaker. If course this is only if one of the 5-7 teams doesn’t finish 4-0. Then they’d also finish 9-7 and I’d have to rework the tiebreakers.

Romes
12-05-2007, 09:00 AM
this reminds me of the end of last year. winning out will be the hardest part. :ill:

Mitchy moo
12-05-2007, 09:07 AM
So if we lose one game to a Non-AFC opponent and cleveland / Tenn. lose to a AFC opponent, their conference record is worse than ours and we still can earn a berth @ 9-7.

:worry:

Patrick76777
12-05-2007, 09:13 AM
So if we lose one game to a Non-AFC opponent and cleveland / Tenn. lose to a AFC opponent, their conference record is worse than ours and we still can earn a berth @ 9-7.

:worry:

If my figures are right. Which they should be.

Drev8
12-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Man do we need San Diego to beat Tenn this week. It's almost as important as us taking care of business with Miami.

BlackMetalNinja
12-05-2007, 09:23 AM
I have to say... I think this is mostly irrelevant at this point, but I love your work Patrick! You are the master of Playoff Scenarios!

:bow:

Patrick76777
12-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I thought this would get more play.

Mitchy moo
12-05-2007, 12:50 PM
I thought this would get more play.

I like it and think that it's awesome how you figured this all out. I think alot of people are afraid of hearing the word "playoffs" and the Bills here in the same sentence, we have been disappointed for so many years in a row now.

I for one feel that every dog has it's day, whatever day that is.

arsenal
12-05-2007, 12:57 PM
good stuff... sucks that you'll lose this week though, but im sure next weeks playoff scenerio thread will be just as realistic as this one!

Mitchy moo
12-05-2007, 01:17 PM
good stuff... sucks that you'll lose this week though, but im sure next weeks playoff scenerio thread will be just as realistic as this one!

Huh?? What bridge do you guard??

Mr. Miyagi
12-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Patrick what happens if we go 3-1 losing only to Cleveland (makes us 9-7), Cleveland goes 2-2 beating us (I can see them losing to Jets and Cincy, makes them 9-7), and Tennessee goes 3-1 (lose to Indy and KC).

How does that stack up then?

juice
12-05-2007, 01:26 PM
This weeks game against the Phins could be tough especially if Lynch isn't back.. Bills better not sleep.

Patrick76777
12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Patrick what happens if we go 3-1 losing only to Cleveland (makes us 9-7), Cleveland goes 2-2 beating us (I can see them losing to Jets and Cincy, makes them 9-7), and Tennessee goes 2-2 (lose to Indy and SD).

How does that stack up then?

I assume you meant Tenn goes 2-2 and losses to Indy and SD.

Buffalo 9-7 (6-6)
Cleveland 9-7 (6-6)
Tennessee 9-7 (6-6)

And I just figured it out, if this happened, we would get rocked in S.O.V. Tennessee gets the spot.

The only way that we can lose to Cleveland and still get into the playoffs is if the Browns lose the other 3 games (SF, Jets, Cincy) to finish 8-8. That puts us and Tenn both at 9-7 (6-6) and we would once again win on Common opponents.

Mitchy moo
12-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Buffalo 9-7 (6-6)
Cleveland 9-7 (6-6)
Tennessee 9-7 (6-6)

And I just figured it out, if this happened, we would get rocked in S.O.V. Tennessee gets the spot.

The only way that we can lose to Cleveland and still get into the playoffs is if the Browns lose the other 3 games (SF, Jets, Cincy) to finish 8-8. That puts us and Tenn both at 9-7 (6-6) and we would once again win on Common opponents.

Which is a possibility.

Patrick76777
12-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Which is a possibility.

And I'll post one of these as long as it is possible.

Mr. Miyagi
12-05-2007, 02:13 PM

Buffalo 9-7 (6-6)
Cleveland 9-7 (6-6)
Tennessee 9-7 (6-6)

That's what I was afraid of, because I think that would be the most likely scenario with Cleveland losing to Jets and Cincy and Tennessee falling to Indy and SD. The only part that may be a stretch is us beating both Philly and Giants. :ill:

Oaf
12-05-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb this week and pick the Jets in a close one against Cleveland. Hey, they beat Pitt right? And I think VY will work his late season magic and pull out a win against the Chargers too.

I also think that the most realistic scenario is us dropping a NFC game and winning the others to finish 9-7.

The Answer
12-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Man do we need San Diego to beat Tenn this week. It's almost as important as us taking care of business with Miami.

If the Chargers of 2006 are truly back then they will win handily at tennesee this weekend.

We just need to take care of business and keep winning.

~The Answer

Luisito23
12-05-2007, 04:37 PM
This weeks game against the Phins could be tough especially if Lynch isn't back.. Bills better not sleep.

Nice to see you Juice!...:cheers:...

GO BILLS!!!!!!

raphael120
12-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Awesome analysis Pat!

G. Host
12-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Reminds me of splitting aces.
Saturday I split aces until I had 5 aces and got one card on each. Four Queens and a 9. Dealer got a 20 - four bets doubled and a push.

Sometimes momentum is like that - when it is going well grab it no matter how bad things may have gone in past. Job interview tomorrow and I am hanging on!

Mitchy moo
12-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Sometimes momentum is like that - when it is going well grab it no matter how bad things may have gone in past. Job interview tomorrow and I am hanging on!

Your the smartest person here G. Host, go make us proud!!

G. Host
12-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Your the smartest person here G. Host, go make us proud!!

Hardly smart just work hard and type check when I am not in a hurry. Helps that I used to be a typesetter and an editor. 14 hours yesterday and today and start night shifts tomorrow which are usually longer Thursday through Sunday. Probably put in 60 hours before Bills game, take a nap and watch it if I do not spend my time surfing reading news before game.