• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Bledsoe asked to comeback

This is an older article but I thought it showed again how classy Drew is.

The phone has been ringing, but Drew Bledsoe has been holding his ground. Despite interest from a handful of teams, he's not coming back to the NFL.

When Bledsoe decided to retire in April, he figured a run of injuries to quarterbacks might create an opportunity for him to enjoy a 15th season as a starter.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• RockStar36
    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
    • Sep 2004

Re: Bledsoe asked to comeback

It's nice to see a player recognize when his career has hit that point instead of coming back over and over again and running it into the ground.

I will say this though. I definitely think he could help a team if he wanted to come back.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

Drew is a guy who needs a good line to succeed. He had that in 2005 the first 8 games in Dallas and led the NFL in passer rating but when he lost both starting tackles his play went down.
      It's no disgrace to have been replaced by Brady or Romo, both are great players. But the shame is what happened here. Instead of building him a decent line we flushed 3 draft picks on Lossman and a top 5 pick on swinging gate Williams. Drew will be eating his dinner from a dribble cup and he'll still be better than JP.

Comment

• RockStar36
        • Sep 2004

Regardless of who replaced him in Buffalo, he had his chance and blew it. He had 3 years and couldn't get this team into the playoffs. He had one season where they had the playoffs handed to them on a silver platter and he crumbled under the pressure and let the Pittsburgh third string players win, in our house no less. It may have ended badly in Buffalo but his time was up regardless.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Bill Cody
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by RockStar36
          Regardless of who replaced him in Buffalo, he had his chance and blew it. He had 3 years and couldn't get this team into the playoffs. He had one season where they had the playoffs handed to them on a silver platter and he crumbled under the pressure and let the Pittsburgh third string players win, in our house no less. It may have ended badly in Buffalo but his time was up regardless.
          I was at that game. Drew didn't play well but 24 points should have been enough to beat "third stringers" and it wasn't because the defense laid an egg.

Comment

• DynaPaul
            • Sep 2003

He doesn't wanna leave his ranch in Montana and actually have to, you know, study a playbook or try to improve his game.

Comment

• Gunzlingr
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DevilPaul
              He doesn't wanna leave his ranch in Montana and actually have to, you know, study a playbook or try to improve his game.
              And he refused to be a back up.
              You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• RockStar36
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by DrewBlueFan
                I was at that game. Drew didn't play well but 24 points should have been enough to beat "third stringers" and it wasn't because the defense laid an egg.
                One Bills touchdown was right at the end of the game and one touchdown was hand delivered to the Steelers thanks to Drew. I'd say he gets the majority of the blame. He crumbles in the big game.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

Well, keep in mind 7 of those points came from a Nate Clements interception return, so the offense only contributed 17 of those points.

Also, he helped the Steelers a great deal:

- He fumbled on a sack, which was returned for a Pittsburgh score
                  - He had an interception that set up Pittsburgh at the Buffalo 24, which led to a FG

Then when you look at his numbers:

16-of-30 (53%), 189 Yds (6.3 Yds/Att), 0 TD, 1 Int, 58.9 QB Rating

You would probably conclude he didn't wrap himself in glory. In fact, while he isn't solely responsible for the loss, you would have to conclude he played like a choking dog.

Which is consistent with his performance in general in big games over his career.

He does seem like a nice guy, though. Very high character.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                    Sab and TD are insignificant
                    • Sep 2002

The Defense aren't the ones responsible for handing the ball off to the Pittsburgh Defense, and allowing them to return it for a TD in the process.

Bledsoe was never anything more than a below average stop-gap for us.

Hopefully Edwards pans out.

I think Losman floundered because of the people here who wanted so desperately to see him fail - and Karma granted them their wish.

If Losman played the way he did the last half of last year, we'd be talking about who we're gonna play in the first round of the playoffs instead of whether or not we'll make it.
                    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

Working...
                    X