PDA

View Full Version : Jauron, preparation, Miami, Dallas, Denver and Coach of the Year

OpIv37
12-05-2007, 07:07 PM
So, people say Jauron deserves Coach of the year. People say he always has the team well prepared for games. And by "people", I mean both football pundits and some of my fellow posters. And Skooby keeps trying to tell me that the Denver and Dallas games no longer matter because they're in the past.

But Denver and Dallas do matter, and here's why: If we had won even one of those games, we'd be in much better playoff position. Instead, we're in a position where we have to win our last 5 games (with one win already done), and 3 of them will be against teams fighting for their playoff lives themselves. So, those losses DO matter because they directly affect our chances of getting in and leave us no room for error.

As far as preparation, Jauron certainly didn't have this team prepared for the first Miami game. They opened with a 7 minute drive, we had no answer for their run game, and the O didn't get going until late in the game. The team seemed flat and was probably distracted by the looming NE game.

Well, here's Jauron's chance for redemption. If he's so good at prepping the team, let's come out fast against Miami. I want to see defensive players flocking to the point of attack on running plays and pressure on passing plays. I want to see the O attack the middle of the field (I know, rookie QB- but they have no Zach Thomas and a banged-up secondary) and put up some points early. We have a big game in 10 days against Cleveland, but no looking past Miami this time.

If this happens- if we shut down Miami and manage 2 offensive TD's or 20 points total, I promise to give Jauron props and refrain from criticizing him until after the Cleveland game. If we go on to beat Cleveland, then I will admit that Jauron should at least be considered for COTY.

If we lose to Miami, it means we will have squandered our playoff chances by losing to a winless team- and our historical rival no less. If that happens, this COTY talk better get buried and I hope some of you come over to the dark side when it comes to Jauron.

So, if Jauron is as good at prepping this team as people say, I expect them to come out kicking some Dolphin ass and doing it early.

YardRat
12-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Who cares what you expect? It isn't like your opinion carries more weight than anybody else's.

Seriously though...I think you're polarizing the issue too much...It isn't like posters think either A-Jauron sucks, or B-He's COY. From what I've read, the majority of the posters acknowledge the premise that Jauron and most of his staff have done a pretty good job considering all the circumstances to get this team to 6-6 but he certainly isn't a shoo-in for COY accolades. Most are in the middle.

OpIv37
12-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I never said my opinion carried more weight than anyone else's.

But if anyone expects me to agree with this Jauron COTY talk and/or stop criticizing him, that's what has to happen. Let him prove that the compliments about him are well-warranted- that's all I'm saying.

Mitchy moo
12-05-2007, 07:35 PM
I never said my opinion carried more weight than anyone else's.

But if anyone expects me to agree with this Jauron COTY talk and/or stop criticizing him, that's what has to happen. Let him prove that the compliments about him are well-warranted- that's all I'm saying.

Is this all about you??

J / K.

ublinkwescore
12-05-2007, 07:47 PM
So, people say Jauron deserves Coach of the year. People say he always has the team well prepared for games. And by "people", I mean both football pundits and some of my fellow posters. And Skooby keeps trying to tell me that the Denver and Dallas games no longer matter because they're in the past.

But Denver and Dallas do matter, and here's why: If we had won even one of those games, we'd be in much better playoff position. Instead, we're in a position where we have to win our last 5 games (with one win already done), and 3 of them will be against teams fighting for their playoff lives themselves. So, those losses DO matter because they directly affect our chances of getting in and leave us no room for error.

As far as preparation, Jauron certainly didn't have this team prepared for the first Miami game. They opened with a 7 minute drive, we had no answer for their run game, and the O didn't get going until late in the game. The team seemed flat and was probably distracted by the looming NE game.

Well, here's Jauron's chance for redemption. If he's so good at prepping the team, let's come out fast against Miami. I want to see defensive players flocking to the point of attack on running plays and pressure on passing plays. I want to see the O attack the middle of the field (I know, rookie QB- but they have no Zach Thomas and a banged-up secondary) and put up some points early. We have a big game in 10 days against Cleveland, but no looking past Miami this time.

If this happens- if we shut down Miami and manage 2 offensive TD's or 20 points total, I promise to give Jauron props and refrain from criticizing him until after the Cleveland game. If we go on to beat Cleveland, then I will admit that Jauron should at least be considered for COTY.

If we lose to Miami, it means we will have squandered our playoff chances by losing to a winless team- and our historical rival no less. If that happens, this COTY talk better get buried and I hope some of you come over to the dark side when it comes to Jauron.

So, if Jauron is as good at prepping this team as people say, I expect them to come out kicking some Dolphin ass and doing it early.

Wow, I'm agreeing with you entirely.

I've been on the dark side regarding Jauron since the Cowboys game. If he were a good coach, he would have told Fairchild not to pass the damn ball - take the field goal, and make Dallas try to march down the field two times.

ublinkwescore
12-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I wonder if we could get both Jauron and Parcells to coach this team simultaneously - I'd send a 2nd to Dallas for the right to do that - I bet Parcells wouldn't mind coaching a "character" team (minus Hargrove of course).

Mitchy moo
12-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Look at me complain, blah blah blah. We lost to..................

ublinkwescore
12-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Look at me complain, blah blah blah. We lost to..................

Well, I'm tired of losing too, and a big part of it has been due to Jauron's in-game decisions.

If he were a much better gameday coach, we'd be in one of the wildcard spots right now.

His team is better than it's record indicates, and a lot of that falls on his actions on Sundays (and one monday night).

Ed
12-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Do you ever consider that without Jauron, we might have already been eliminated from the playoffs?

shelby
12-05-2007, 08:14 PM
yes, Ed, i think you're right.

Op, you don't have to agree with the Jauron COTY talk. That's your right as an American. It is also not necessary to beat us over the head incessantly with your opinion as to why he is not worthy of COTY honors.

If the Bills are winning, Jauron deserves a portion of the credit. Is it perfect? Hardly. Are we a mediocre team with injury problems who is still in the playoff hunt? Indeed. Take it for what it's worth.
:gobills:

OpIv37
12-05-2007, 08:33 PM
yes, Ed, i think you're right.

Op, you don't have to agree with the Jauron COTY talk. That's your right as an American. It is also not necessary to beat us over the head incessantly with your opinion as to why he is not worthy of COTY honors.

If the Bills are winning, Jauron deserves a portion of the credit. Is it perfect? Hardly. Are we a mediocre team with injury problems who is still in the playoff hunt? Indeed. Take it for what it's worth.
:gobills:

Jauron deserves a portion of the credit for the win and a portion of the blames for the losses. He's done some things well and other things poorly, and all I'm saying is that right now, on balance, he doesn't deserve coach of the year.

Now, if we by some miracle finish on a 5 game win streak and either make or just miss the playoffs, well, maybe then it will be a different story. Clearly Jauron would have to throw some weight on the positive end of things for that to happen.

hydro
12-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Jauron deserves a portion of the credit for the win and a portion of the blames for the losses. He's done some things well and other things poorly, and all I'm saying is that right now, on balance, he doesn't deserve coach of the year.

Now, if we by some miracle finish on a 5 game win streak and either make or just miss the playoffs, well, maybe then it will be a different story. Clearly Jauron would have to throw some weight on the positive end of things for that to happen.

Finally you have listened to reason. This is all we were asking for, just some sort of credit to be credited to Jauron if he makes this season successful enough to get us to the playoffs.

HHURRICANE
12-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Who cares what you expect? It isn't like your opinion carries more weight than anybody else's.

Seriously though...I think you're polarizing the issue too much...It isn't like posters think either A-Jauron sucks, or B-He's COY. From what I've read, the majority of the posters acknowledge the premise that Jauron and most of his staff have done a pretty good job considering all the circumstances to get this team to 6-6 but he certainly isn't a shoo-in for COY accolades. Most are in the middle.

I think this sums it up nicely. Good post.

I remember when everybody was *****ing on how we could have had Marvin Lewis and now it looks like he'll be unemployed after this year. How does a guy like that not make it to the playoffs the last two years with the roster they've had?

As I have said before I like Jauron for where we are right now. I'm not sure what kind of coach he'll be when we are a legitmiate playoff team but that's a little ways off.

YardRat
12-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Wow, I'm agreeing with you entirely.

I've been on the dark side regarding Jauron since the Cowboys game. If he were a good coach, he would have told Fairchild not to pass the damn ball - take the field goal, and make Dallas try to march down the field two times.

Can't blame a guy for being aggressive...Trent made a rookie mistake by throwing the pass...He should have thrown it away.

'Open up the playbook! Open up the playbook!'
Interception.
'Dumb-ass should have played conservatively :mad:'

Bottom line...Trent throws the ball away, tucks and runs, or even takes a sack and it's a different story. The coaches can call whatever play they want, but it's still up to the players to make the right decisions on the field during the heat of the moment.

YardRat
12-05-2007, 09:13 PM

I think that's pretty much the attitude most fans have on the issue.

Ed
12-05-2007, 09:26 PM

I don't think anyone is handing him the award or saying he's won it already. Hell, there's still a quarter of the season to go. Most of us are just happy that he's in the running and being recognized or shown respect by so many people. Maybe he hasn't been perfect and there are other coaches who have done better, but there are a lot of coaches in this league that aren't gettting any consideration, so he has to be doing something right.

I think why a lot of people find your posts annoying or wrong when it comes to Jauron, is that you have a way of making him sound like the worst coach in the league.

I think he's done well, but I know he could do better. I'm sure Jauron himself would be the first to admitt that too.

Mr. Cynical
12-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Dick sucks.

Mitchy moo
12-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Dick sucks.

Sick Ducks??

TheBrownBear
12-05-2007, 11:18 PM
3-9, 4-8, 3-9, 4-8, 0-12, 5-7.....these are the records of the six teams we've beaten. Our 6 wins over those bottom feeders have come by an average of 5.5 points. We have been outscored by 90 points this season (274-184). We have 13 offensive touchdowns in 12 games. We have the 31st ranked offense and the 30th ranked defense. We have two one point losses that can arguably be blamed on poor late game playcalling.

On the other hand, we have had too many injuries to list. Dealt with early season tragedy. Relied on rookies at QB and RB. Outside of the home game against New England, we have been competitive at halftime in every game. We have won all of the games we "should" win(except maybe Denver but probably offset by Wash road win). We bounced back to go 6-3 after a 0-3 start. We are in the playoff hunt.

I think, overall, that Dick has done about as well as he should have up to this point. I'll say a little better than expected just because the amount of injuries we've suffered could have submarined the season. If Dick gets us to 10-6 and the playoffs, then I'll say he's earned COY. Anything less won't cut it for me. You've got better candidates in Tennessee, Cleveland and Green Bay imo.

jamze132
12-06-2007, 02:39 AM
I would rather axe Fairchild than Dick. Although, I am slightly warming up to Dick, I am like liquid nitrogen when it comes to Fairchild. I would love to really know what Dick thinks about Fairchild and that will also tell me a lot about Dick.

OpIv37
12-10-2007, 01:30 PM
And Jauron once again proves why I have concerns about him

Great gameplan- the team came out well prepared, shut down Miami and scored 4 offensive TD's (2 in the first quarter right in front of me). This is what Jauron supposedly did well, and he certainly excelled at it on Sunday.

But they came out too conservative in the 2nd half and almost let the Fish back in it.

The D designed not to give up the big play gave up several big plays.

And that flag on the challenge- WTF? I had no sooner said to my friend that Jauron was doing great with the challenges when he lost a challenge then got a 15 yard penalty for throwing the flag with no challenges left. The guy went to a ****ing IVY LEAGUE school- there is no excuse for such bush league mistakes. Here's a thought: when you use the last challenge, give the flag to an assistant so it's not even POSSIBLE to make such a stupid mistake.

To make matters worse, they actually announced that the Bills were out of challenges over the loudspeaker in the stadium. There were approximately 74,000 people there and 73,999 knew that we didn't have any challenges left.

helmetguy
12-10-2007, 05:45 PM
And that flag on the challenge- WTF? I had no sooner said to my friend that Jauron was doing great with the challenges when he lost a challenge then got a 15 yard penalty for throwing the flag with no challenges left. The guy went to a ****ing IVY LEAGUE school- there is no excuse for such bush league mistakes. Here's a thought: when you use the last challenge, give the flag to an assistant so it's not even POSSIBLE to make such a stupid mistake.

Is that anything like a HOF Coach forgetting he can't call consecutive time outs?

justasportsfan
12-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Is that anything like a HOF Coach forgetting he can't call consecutive time outs?
who are you?

WElcome back ! Hope all is well.

mayotm
12-10-2007, 05:54 PM
And Jauron once again proves why I have concerns about him

Great gameplan- the team came out well prepared, shut down Miami and scored 4 offensive TD's (2 in the first quarter right in front of me). This is what Jauron supposedly did well, and he certainly excelled at it on Sunday.

But they came out too conservative in the 2nd half and almost let the Fish back in it.

The D designed not to give up the big play gave up several big plays.

To make matters worse, they actually announced that the Bills were out of challenges over the loudspeaker in the stadium. There were approximately 74,000 people there and 73,999 knew that we didn't have any challenges left.Guess you're not keeping your "promise to give Jauron props and refrain from criticizing him until after the Cleveland game."

OpIv37
12-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Guess your not keeping your "promise to give Jauron props and refrain from criticizing him until after the Cleveland game."

crap- I forgot about that.

DAMMIT. Figures he'd give me an easy target on the week I made the promise.

Looks like I can't say anything else about the errant challenge until after next week.

OpIv37
12-10-2007, 06:07 PM

something like that- although in Jauron's defense, at least the game was well in hand. Gibbs did it at a much more costly juncture.

Ed
12-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Op,

You can't stand Jauron and wish he wasn't coaching the Bills. We get it. We also get that no matter how well Jauron coaches a game, all he has to do is make one mistake and you will crucify him. There's really not much left to be said, you don't need to keep hammering away at it.

It's also time for you to accept the fact that Jauron isn't going anywhere. He's not getting fired after this season no matter how much you or anyone else *****es about him.

OpIv37
12-10-2007, 10:22 PM
It's also time for you to accept the fact that Jauron isn't going anywhere. He's not getting fired after this season no matter how much you or anyone else *****es about him.

then it's also time to accept the fact that this team will remain mired in mediocrity for another 2-3 years, at least.

YardRat
12-10-2007, 10:31 PM
I have to admit I was disappointed in the decision to pull in the reigns a little bit starting with the third quarter. Fourth quarter, fine, but any earlier you keep playing like the game's on the line.

I'll give him a pass on the challenge considering the success he has had to this point with the red flag. In all honesty, for a fleeting second I thought he might have actually done it on purpose to get Miami closer to a score so that Buffalo would get the ball back with enough time to run a few plays and try to get Jackson his 100 yard day.

jmb1099
12-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Not to be too combative about this whole thing, but
Jauron had the guts to give Losman his shot. He had the guts to remove him from the starting role when it was time to do so. He has the team on the verge of a potential playoff appearance and he's managed to pull this off with limited personnel and rookie starters. If we were 2 and 11 or 4 and 9 then one would have a legitimate complaint about Jauron's coaching. While he may not be coach of the year (it will take the playoffs in my opinion) he has done a decent job with the given circumstances.

Now I know, the dallas and denver argument. I agree, we should have and could have won both of those games. In each of those losses though there are both coaching errors and execution errors.
In the case of the Miami game it wasn't unreasonable to expect any coach to run clock. In fact, its the lack of running clock that cost us the denver game. Its what we were all screaming about, run the **** ball. So the strategy was solid, but the execution wasn't there. But there was a successful adjustment made. Bomb to Evans, back breaker. Good call, good adjustment, good coaching.

OpIv37
12-11-2007, 09:17 AM
In the case of the Miami game it wasn't unreasonable to expect any coach to run clock. In fact, its the lack of running clock that cost us the denver game. Its what we were all screaming about, run the **** ball. So the strategy was solid, but the execution wasn't there. But there was a successful adjustment made. Bomb to Evans, back breaker. Good call, good adjustment, good coaching.

I actually take back what I said before about being conservative, and I agree with this.

I re-watched most of the game, and the problem after halftime was execution, not play-calling. Miami's touchdown was set up by Lynch's fumble, which occurred AFTER he got a first down. Their field goal occurred after drops by both Royal and Parrish, either of which would have resulted in a first down.

I'm still a little confused by what happened before halftime. They weren't killing the clock because they were calling timeout, but they kept running the ball instead of passing it. So I can't figure out if they were trying to kill the clock or trying to take a shot at a TD or at least FG range.

Dr. Lecter
12-11-2007, 09:20 AM
then it's also time to accept the fact that this team will remain mired in mediocrity for another 2-3 years, at least.

If he can lead a team with this many injuries and other issues to a ~500 record, did you ever think that he can do much better without the injuries?

Nice to see you and Dora (moreso her) this weekend.

But it is even more fun to being back to disagreeing.

OpIv37
12-11-2007, 09:22 AM
If he can lead a team with this many injuries and other issues to a ~500 record, did you ever think that he can do much better without the injuries?

Nice to see you and Dora (moreso her) this weekend.

But it is even more fun to being back to disagreeing.

Well, sorry to disappoint you, but I'm going to have to refrain from responding. I already broke my promise not to rip on Jauron once and I'm trying hard not to do it again.

Dr. Lecter
12-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Well, sorry to disappoint you, but I'm going to have to refrain from responding. I already broke my promise not to rip on Jauron once and I'm trying hard not to do it again.

Quit ruining my fun!
But seriously, if the team does well (even moderately well) with 12 players on IR, the QB issue and the Everett situation, wouldn't one logically think they can do much better without those issues?

Every coach makes mistakes (except maybe Satan-Chek). The key is how the team does overall.

The challenge Jauron lost was a bad call and was the clearest of his threee challenges. It should have been over-turned.

jmb1099
12-11-2007, 10:57 AM
I actually take back what I said before about being conservative, and I agree with this.

I re-watched most of the game, and the problem after halftime was execution, not play-calling. Miami's touchdown was set up by Lynch's fumble, which occurred AFTER he got a first down. Their field goal occurred after drops by both Royal and Parrish, either of which would have resulted in a first down.

I'm still a little confused by what happened before halftime. They weren't killing the clock because they were calling timeout, but they kept running the ball instead of passing it. So I can't figure out if they were trying to kill the clock or trying to take a shot at a TD or at least FG range.
Me too. It had the appearance of going for the jugular but then it didn't materialize. Like you, I'm not sure why that is. I know its crazy, but I'm still hoping for playoffs.

OpIv37
12-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Me too. It had the appearance of going for the jugular but then it didn't materialize. Like you, I'm not sure why that is. I know its crazy, but I'm still hoping for playoffs.

well I'm always still hoping for playoffs until we're mathematically eliminated. I don't realistically think it will happen, but thinking and hoping are two different things.

raphael120
12-11-2007, 11:09 AM
If it wasn't for Jauron's record of having a slow team out of the gates (0-3 last year, same this year)...we wouldn't be in the situation we're in where we're BARELY holding onto playoff hopes and even if we win out, we still are not guaranteed a playoff spot.

We come fast out of the gates, we beat Denver, forget about the Cowboys, and we're in control. We'd be at 8-5, tied with Cleveland. No excuse for having such a slow start both seasons with Jauron as head coach (and with all of our starters). I'm holding out hope we don't do what we did last year also and start slow, get better mid season, then crap out at the end when playoffs are in sight. We win Sunday, we'll be almost there and beat last years 7 wins.

OpIv37
12-11-2007, 11:13 AM
If it wasn't for Jauron's record of having a slow team out of the gates (0-3 last year, same this year)...we wouldn't be in the situation we're in where we're BARELY holding onto playoff hopes and even if we win out, we still are not guaranteed a playoff spot.

We come fast out of the gates, we beat Denver, forget about the Cowboys, and we're in control. We'd be at 8-5, tied with Cleveland. No excuse for having such a slow start both seasons with Jauron as head coach (and with all of our starters). I'm holding out hope we don't do what we did last year also and start slow, get better mid season, then crap out at the end when playoffs are in sight. We win Sunday, we'll be almost there and beat last years 7 wins.

it's 04 and 06 all over again- slow starts killed us down the stretch.

I just hope Jauron learns from this for pre-season next year- he doesn't have to go Tom Coughlin Nazi boot camp style, but Club Jauron has to go.

Ed
12-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Actually, we won week 2 in Miami last year after barely losing in NE on McGahee's lame 4th & 1 attempt.

Granted, the first half as a whole was a slow start, but that's to be expected with a new coaching staff and new schemes.

I'd rather our team play its best football in the second half of the season and build off of its mistakes in the first half then be one of those teams that starts off hot only to crap the bed. I think teams that show growth and steady improvement is a sign of good coaching. I would attrbute fast starts at the beginning of the year to luck more then anything else.