PDA

View Full Version : We should try and move up in the draft this year

PA Season Ticket Holder
03-31-2003, 11:36 PM
We're a couple impact players out of the draft this year from being a major contender. We don't need 7 picks this year.

I'm fine with the #23 if Tom Donahoe can get a guy he really wants there. I think we should move up with our 2nd round pick though.

Oakland would seem like the ideal place to start off with a trade. We could give them our 2nd and either a 3rd or 4th. If they bit on a 4th and 5th so we could keep our 3rd, then that would be even better.

I'd like to take a DE if the right one is there. If it's just another average one then we don't need him. We have enough average DL on our team right now.

The more I thought about it, I think Tom Donahoe is gonna try to get Faine or Steinbach with our 1st round pick. I'd be happy to get both of them.

If we are going to a power running game, then we better make sure we have the hogs up front to make it work. We have no depth besides Marcus Price on the OL.

I think TD is gonna take a C within the first 3 rounds of the draft. We midas well get the higest rated one in Faine. We didn't re-sign Conaty, and we haven't evened sniffed at any other offensive lineman in FA.

Trey Teague is not a Center. He is best suited for Guard. I'm not sure when the date is where we have to pay him a roster bonus, but I'm not sold TD will even keep him. His contract would pay him average Tackle money, and high Guard money, which he isn't really worth.

If we drafted Faine late in the first round, it would come dirt cheap. From what I hear about him, he should be an upgrade over Teague.

If we keep Teague's contract, he would be averaging around 2.5-3 million a year, which he really isn't worth. We could get Faine for about an average of 1.5 million a year.

Teague isn't good enough to take out defenders when we run up the gut. I don't care for him at Center at all.

I'd be happy taking Faine and Steinbach. Could you imagine our OL with them 2 also in the fold. Steinbach can play just about anywhere on the line. Also, Rueben isn't getting any younger or cheaper. He'll probably be replaced in a year or two after our younger guys gain more experince to be on their own.

Marques Sullivan is ok, but him and Jennings are both in the last year of their contract. I'm sure they are restricted FA's, but what kind of money would it take to re-sign them? I could handle Jennings long term if he quits getting hurt, but I don't know if I want Sullivan here long term.

Imagine this OL...

Jennings-Brown-Faine-Steinbach-Williams

That would give us Price and Sullivan as two key backups, and we'd have to draft another one, or pick one up after June 1st.

I don't see us getting Faine and Steinbach, but I can see us getting one of them.

1st Round- Jeff Faine

2nd Round- WR

3rd Round- LB

4th Round- CB/G

5th Round- G/CB

6th and 7th Round- ST's or best available player

I'd like to trade up and get two first round picks if it meant getting Washington, Jacobs, or Johnson along with Faine.

I think TD will pick up a backup RB after the June 1st cuts. I think he'll wanna go with an experienced vet.

clumping platelets
04-01-2003, 01:16 AM
I do not suspect that trading up to get Faine will be necessary....he'll be there at #23.

TypicalBill
04-01-2003, 02:25 AM
The only guy i could see us trade up for is Penn State DE Michael Haynes.

clumping platelets
04-01-2003, 02:34 AM
DL Kevin Williams :D

TypicalBill
04-01-2003, 02:44 AM
:D, i think we have our starters at DT that we dont need to trade up for a backup.

I remember you talking about Kevin Williams since his Bowl game CP. When he was always in the opponents backfield :D

clumping platelets
04-01-2003, 02:46 AM
He's gonna be a great player :D

He can play both DT spots and LDE. I doubt he has the stuff for a RDE. I like the versatility.

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-01-2003, 02:47 AM
I was talking about trading up with our 2nd round pick.

clumping platelets
04-01-2003, 02:48 AM
:doh:

BillsMan80
04-01-2003, 07:45 AM
We don't need to go defense. We must see this draft end up offense heavy. We shouldn't go defense. Teague is a fine player at Center and Sullivan is above average too. We cannot afford to waste a 1st Round Pick on an OL. OL can wait. We need to get a RB, WR, TE on the first day. That is a must.

colin
04-01-2003, 10:22 AM
We are gonna get some passrushers in the draft.

BillsMan80
04-01-2003, 11:02 AM
We don't need pass rushers. Schobel, Jones, and McKenzie are fine as pass rushers.

Cokehead Dubya
04-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Are they? Schobel racked up most of his sacks against a third-stringer at Minnesota, and Jones and McKenzie are unknown factors. I think Haynes or McDougal are fine choices, but I'm not sure if they'll be available at 23.
Unfortunately, who is going to trade up with us? I don't see it happening. As always, the best available player will be the pick.

Akhippo
04-01-2003, 11:46 AM
You can never have enough topnotch defenders. With no pressing holes on O, I think the first pick will be for the D. Unless a stud DE drops DT would be the wise pick. With rotations and injuries, stocking that position is a plus. Then maybe trade up in the second if Faine is there.

simpletask400
04-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Our team is stacked on defense, and the only major guy we have lost and haven't replaced yet is Price.

At 23 Draft Kelley Washington. He has size and speed(6-4 225 4.45) He will be way better then Price, and could eventually replace Moulds. This kid is a star in the making. If he gets by the Jets at 22, I would expect TD would pick this guy up.

Pride
04-01-2003, 11:56 AM
We replaced Price before he even left. Reed.

That was the whole point in TD drafting him!

TedMock
04-01-2003, 12:07 PM
I think Teague is a good center. I think he's slightly overpaid but he's intelligent out there. Don't forget he was an all-american center at Tennessee. Denver moved him to tackle which is why we originally got him but TD wisely took Big Mike knowing that Teague could be moved back to center. We do need OL depth either way. Brown is 31 and if 2 of these guys is injured we could be in trouble. I think they'll address that June 1. We need depth on the DL too which is why I'd go for DT with the first pick. To get a guy to give SAM and Pat a breather, learn from them and take over in a few years when they retire is huge to me because DT usually take a little more time to develop. If not DT then I agree with best player available if for no other reason to improve special teams.

lordofgun
04-01-2003, 12:25 PM
If the right WR is there....TAKE HIM!!! I get the feeling unless someone falls too far on the D side who TD can't resist, that we're going offense with the first pick.

clumping platelets
04-01-2003, 12:27 PM
Psst...............TE ;)

Stewie
04-01-2003, 12:44 PM
I say get K. Washington (wr) if he's there. If not, get the best available DT or DE.

Akhippo
04-01-2003, 01:38 PM
Why spend a first rounder on a older than normal, third WR that will take a couple of years to even start. Especially since everyone wants to go smash mouth this year. Defense wins championships. If Washington could produce immediately then it would be a possibility. However no matter who it is, im sure it will be a good pick. This is even funner than last year. We all knew MW was the pick.

BillsMan80
04-01-2003, 05:33 PM
WE HAVE DEFENSE. WE NEED OFFENSE. Contrary to most of your opinions, we have pressing needs on offense more than defense. Backup RB, WR, Pass-catching TE, OL Depth. Those are much more pressing needs than anything we have on defense.

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-01-2003, 09:45 PM
What a differnce a year makes. Our defense is ahead of our offense on paper now,lol.