PDA

View Full Version : Mularkey now calling plays for the Dolphins

dolphan117
12-05-2007, 09:37 PM
DAVIE — First-year head coach Cam Cameron, who gave himself the responsibility to call plays when he joined the Dolphins, called an audible after the team's 0-11 start.
Starting in Sunday's loss to the New York Jets, tight ends coach Mike Mularkey - the Dolphins' offensive coordinator last season - called the plays from the coaches' booth high above the field.
Cameron retains the option of changing the call, but Mularkey now initiates it.
Previously, the plays went directly from Cameron to the quarterback on the field, back-up quarterback Cleo Lemon said Wednesday.
"Cam was calling the plays," Lemon said. "The plays didn't come from anybody else. They came from Cam.
"Now they come from upstairs." With Mularkey calling the plays, veteran quarterback Trent Green, who started the season's first five games, relays the play to the microphone in the helmet of rookie starter John Beck.
Like before, Cameron and his offensive assistants discuss strategy over headsets during the game.
"It is a collective effort," Cameron said. "But all calls go through me." Giving more responsibility to Mularkey, who also has been offensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers (2001-03), lessens the load on Cameron.
"We changed it up so Mularkey started calling the plays," said Lemon, who also wears a headset to listens to the conversation among offensive coaches. "That's how Trent became the facilitator and Cam could focus on other things in the game." When Cameron was hired in January, he said he would serve as offensive coordinator but might hire one at some point.
The Dolphins' poor offensive performance, along with problems managing the clock, has prompted some critics to say Cameron has been trying to do too much.
Season-ending injuries to Green and running back Ronnie Brown, coupled with the team's decision to trade wide receiver Chris Chambers in October, have contributed to the struggles. Miami's offense has failed to score a touchdown in three consecutive games and ranks 27th in the NFL in scoring offense (16.3-point average).
The Dolphins' offense averaged 16.2 points in 2006 under Mularkey.
Green said he didn't notice any big changes in offensive strategy in the 40-13 loss to the Jets.
"They're both on the same page," Green said of Cameron and Mularkey. "It wasn't like all the sudden we went drastically different this week.
"Everybody is talking to figure out the best thing. Whether Mike or Cam or whoever's inputting who, it's all communication." Beck, on the other hand, looked like a different player than he did in his previous two starts. He suffered his first three interceptions and fumbled three times when he was sacked.
"That was probably a pretty rough game," Beck said Wednesday. "I don't think I've had one like that, not that I can remember. ...
"But at this time the best thing I can do is face it, learn from it and move on."http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2007/12/05/1205cameron.html

I need a hug. Or a gun.

hydro
12-05-2007, 09:40 PM
:rofl:

Dr. Lecter
12-05-2007, 09:42 PM
:bf1:

I hope he calls the plays this weekend.

Ebenezer
12-05-2007, 10:22 PM
17 trick plays...just in the first half!!

dolphan117
12-05-2007, 10:34 PM
And its funny because people thought the playcalling was bad last weekend. Now we know why. This could also shoot Becks development in the foot as well.

This season just keeps getting worse.

Dr. Lecter
12-05-2007, 10:36 PM
And its funny because people thought the playcalling was bad last weekend. Now we know why. This could also shoot Becks development in the foot as well.

This season just keeps getting worse.

The score is 20-14 Buffalo. Miami has the ball 1st and goal at the Buffalo 1 yard line with 30 seconds left. Beck takes the ball and hands off to Chatman, who hands off to Ginn, who attempts a pass back to Beck. Intercepted! the game is over!

Devin
12-05-2007, 10:44 PM

Sadly sounds all to familiar. Man that guy is a lousy coach.

Ebenezer
12-05-2007, 10:51 PM
just one more word on how the season could get worse.....

BLIZZARD!!

The Answer
12-05-2007, 11:34 PM
LOL! Anybody still worried about this game now??? :lol: :roflmao: :lmao:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2007/12/05/1205cameron.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

Cameron calls an audible; Mularkey now calling plays

By Edgar Thompson
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 05, 2007

DAVIE — First-year head coach Cam Cameron, who gave himself the responsibility to call plays when he joined the Dolphins, called an audible after the team's 0-11 start.

Starting in Sunday's loss to the New York Jets, tight ends coach Mike Mularkey - the Dolphins' offensive coordinator last season - called the plays from the coaches' booth high above the field.

Cameron retains the option of changing the call, but Mularkey now initiates it.

Previously, the plays went directly from Cameron to the quarterback on the field, back-up quarterback Cleo Lemon said Wednesday.

"Cam was calling the plays," Lemon said. "The plays didn't come from anybody else. They came from Cam.

"Now they come from upstairs." With Mularkey calling the plays, veteran quarterback Trent Green, who started the season's first five games, relays the play to the microphone in the helmet of rookie starter John Beck.....................

~The Answer
<!--endtext-->

RockStar36
12-05-2007, 11:36 PM

Nice!!!

clumping platelets
12-05-2007, 11:39 PM
:roflmao:

clumping platelets
12-05-2007, 11:39 PM
:squish:

Devin
12-05-2007, 11:43 PM
DOH!

LtFinFan66
12-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Can we do any worse than we already have:idunno:

Lexwhat
12-05-2007, 11:44 PM
He went from NFL head coach, to offensive coordinator, to tight ends coach in just over 1 year...

The Answer
12-05-2007, 11:47 PM
"They're both on the same page," Green said of Cameron and Mularkey. "It wasn't like all the sudden we went drastically different this week."

"Everybody is talking to figure out the best thing. Whether Mike or Cam or whoever's inputting who, it's all communication." Beck, on the other hand, looked like a different player than he did in his previous two starts. He suffered his first three interceptions and fumbled three times when he was sacked."

At least Mularkey is working his magic and having a positive impact on Beck's development. :haha: :laughing:

~The Answer

Ebenezer
12-05-2007, 11:53 PM
threads merged

dolphan117
12-06-2007, 12:28 AM
The score is 20-14 Buffalo. Miami has the ball 1st and goal at the Buffalo 1 yard line with 30 seconds left. Beck takes the ball and hands off to Chatman, who hands off to Ginn, who attempts a pass back to Beck. Intercepted! the game is over!MM called something similar twice last year. Goal to go situations and he calls a RB pass by Ronnie Brown.

Guess what the result was both times. :doh:

dolphan117
12-06-2007, 12:32 AM
"They're both on the same page," Green said of Cameron and Mularkey. "It wasn't like all the sudden we went drastically different this week."

"Everybody is talking to figure out the best thing. Whether Mike or Cam or whoever's inputting who, it's all communication." Beck, on the other hand, looked like a different player than he did in his previous two starts. He suffered his first three interceptions and fumbled three times when he was sacked."

At least Mularkey is working his magic and having a positive impact on Beck's development. :haha: :laughing:

~The AnswerThis is exactly my fear, I have a tone of faith in MM's ability to screw up a bright young QB. Beck had zero turnovers leading up to that game. No picks and no fumbles lost. In the first game with MM at the controls he has 5 turnovers. Coincidence?

And lets remember those 2 previous starts with no turnovers came against the Eagles and Pittsburgh D's, not exactly pushovers. And then 5 against the Jets? The 3 and 9 Jets?!?!?

G. Host
12-06-2007, 12:58 AM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2007/12/05/1205cameron.html

I need a hug. Or a gun.
Rich :rrich: is in charge of guns and he will be at Tailgate Sunday

But if you use guns :redguns: :machgun: make sure they are mercury filled in case you only knick them. Double sure Rosenass is in range.

Mularchy is not all bad - he made Stewart look good.

Meathead
12-06-2007, 01:46 AM
yessssss

double reverse flea flicker statue of liberty fumblerooski here we come

jamze132
12-06-2007, 02:24 AM
I can't wait for the "Triple Fake Punt Reverse Flea Flicker to the Eligible Lineman Downfield" play.

njsue
12-06-2007, 02:57 AM
:bf1:

I hope he calls the plays this weekend.

I know that's right Doc. :snicker:

njsue
12-06-2007, 03:01 AM
just one more word on how the season could get worse.....

BLIZZARD!!

njsue
12-06-2007, 03:03 AM
yessssss

double reverse flea flicker statue of liberty fumblerooski here we come

Mitchy moo
12-06-2007, 06:04 AM

Michael82
12-06-2007, 06:41 AM
:laughing:

NorthCarBills
12-06-2007, 06:53 AM
All kidding aside, if this is true, doesnt that in some way contradict one of the biggest reasons Cameron was hired? He was tabbed as an offensive guru who would have full control over the offense. And one of the biggest parts of that hire (as memory serves) was directly calling the offensive plays.

This is definitely a joke waiting to happen here, but I also find this very interesting from an ownership/management standpoint. A story to follow for sure.

HHURRICANE
12-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Seriously, I'm not even motivated to rip on the fins because they are just so bad.

Cam Cameron is by far one of the worst head coaches I have ever seen.

Mularkey calling the offense is just plain ridiculous. However, I'm sure the logic was that it would be a motivator coming into Buffalo and that somehow he would no where our deficiencies are.

HHURRICANE
12-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Can we do any worse than we already have:idunno:

Apparantely you can:

"Miami's offense has failed to score a touchdown in three consecutive games and ranks 27th in the NFL in scoring offense (16.3-point average). The Dolphins' offense averaged 16.2 points in 2006 under Mularkey."

Mr. Miyagi
12-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Two people I wonder why still have a job in the NFL.

Mike Mularkey and Matt Millen.

Coincidentally both have initials MM.

:couch:

Jan Reimers
12-06-2007, 08:22 AM
The Fins' 0-16 season is now a lock.

Michael82
12-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Apparantely you can:

"Miami's offense has failed to score a touchdown in three consecutive games and ranks 27th in the NFL in scoring offense (16.3-point average). The Dolphins' offense averaged 16.2 points in 2006 under Mularkey."
We can't talk about scoring touchdowns. Our offense is just as pathetic! :ill:

colin
12-06-2007, 08:39 AM
mularky sucks, but remember how we were literaly the best nfl at scoring in the first drive?

he will put pressure on us early, but once we spot his tricks his slow to develope counters, flea flickers, stretch runs, and rollouts will let our speedy d attack and be all over the fishys.

i expect a strong win for the bills

GO BILLS!!

Mike13
12-06-2007, 09:48 AM
I think this is bull****...we havent seen any triple reverse fleaficker WR pass.

Mr. Miyagi
12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
mularky sucks, but remember how we were literaly the best nfl at scoring in the first drive?

he will put pressure on us early, but once we spot his tricks his slow to develope counters, flea flickers, stretch runs, and rollouts will let our speedy d attack and be all over the fishys.

i expect a strong win for the bills

GO BILLS!!
Hopefully Jauron will utilize his Yale braiinpower to confuse the pea-brained Mularkey.

justasportsfan
12-06-2007, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't laugh just yet especially if you look at our own offense.

trapezeus
12-06-2007, 10:02 AM

As does Mr. Miyagi......Do you have trouble playing offense on Madden? :-)

trapezeus
12-06-2007, 10:04 AM
i also remember that Mularkey coached teams are some of the least disciplined teams. So maybe he calls in the trick plays, but between the holding calls and false starts, i'm not sure if any of them will stand.

Static
12-06-2007, 10:37 AM
:ill:

The Answer
12-06-2007, 10:45 AM
The fish have truly hit rock bottom.

And Cameron must purposely be trying to lose his job by letting this doushe run the offense now. You really have to feel sorry for Beck too because his career is now officially destroyed.

~The Answer

Static
12-06-2007, 10:49 AM
The fish have truly hit rock bottom.

And Cameron must purposely be trying to lose his job by letting this doushe run the offense now. You really have to feel sorry for Beck too because his career is now officially destroyed.

~The Answer

Yes we have hit rock bottom (maybe there still may be futher to go) but Beck's carrer isn't over.

jamze132
12-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Might as well throw Steve Fairchild in there...

jamze132
12-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Hopefully Jauron will utilize his Yale braiinpower to confuse the pea-brained Mularkey.
What's going to happen is that both coaches will attempt to outwit the other but in the process, just get a bunch of delay of game penalties trying to audible 6 times each play.

raphael120
12-06-2007, 02:25 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Automatic win for the Bills!

Oh how I long to watch Mularkeys face again when we shut them out

DynaPaul
12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Man, seriously, how much lower can the Dolphins go?