PDA

View Full Version : IR System

Bulldog
12-06-2007, 11:50 AM
I think the current IR system in place in the NFL needs to be adjusted. I would favor a system where players put on IR can be activated once they are healthy. Of course there would need to be safe guards put in place to prevent teams from hiding players, but it could be done. Maybe have a rule that states that any player placed on IR has to sit a minimum of 5 weeks.

It just seems foolish to me that Poz could possibly be playing right now, but he can't because the system in place prevents him from doing so. This all or nothing system is outdated in light of all the advances that have been made in the medical industry. What was once considered a season ending injury may now be a 6-7 week healing process.

G. Host
12-06-2007, 11:52 AM
This would result in teams with more money signing more veteran players with injury issues to higher salaries just because they could afford to stash them for a while.

The Jokeman
12-06-2007, 12:20 PM
This would result in teams with more money signing more veteran players with injury issues to higher salaries just because they could afford to stash them for a while.
Not only that it could also lead to faking injuries to maybe test out another player. Ie put a guy on IR for a hamstring and bring in another player for those 5 weeks, if that other player is better then keep him if not cut him etc.

Bill Brasky
12-06-2007, 01:02 PM
i love when something puts the bills at a disadvantage it should be taken out of the rule book.

we went over this same garbage in regards to the blackout rule last year and i'm sure it will be discussed again this year. an injury is different, but still, you can't go around calling for rule changes every time they work against you. it makes us look like a bunch of pussies.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Personally I think there should be a limit to the number of people you can put on injured reserve.

Bulldog
12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
i love when something puts the bills at a disadvantage it should be taken out of the rule book.

we went over this same garbage in regards to the blackout rule last year and i'm sure it will be discussed again this year. an injury is different, but still, you can't go around calling for rule changes every time they work against you. it makes us look like a bunch of pussies.

Hey, I'm not just saying this just because of the whole Poz situation. It just seems stupid that it's an all or nothing system. Why should a player who may be out for 6-7 weeks be punished because the team he plays for needs his roster spot while he is injured? It seems that the NFL is the only major sports league that has this type of system. Most of the others have systems in place to allow teams some flexibility in regards to filling the spots of those players that are injured without having to shelve the injured player for the season.

Bill Brasky
12-06-2007, 02:16 PM
i hear ya, but it's the nfl, they have shown a willigness to be stubborn in the face of change.

Jan Reimers
12-06-2007, 02:38 PM
I agree, Bulldog. Something similar to baseball's 15 and 60 day disabled list (2 games and 6 games, perhaps) with limits on the number on each list, might work.

The current "all or nothing" system - the injured guy is either out for the entire year on IR, or counts against you on the active roster even though he can't play - makes little sense.

G. Host
12-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Hey, I'm not just saying this just because of the whole Poz situation. It just seems stupid that it's an all or nothing system. Why should a player who may be out for 6-7 weeks be punished because the team he plays for needs his roster spot while he is injured? It seems that the NFL is the only major sports league that has this type of system. Most of the others have systems in place to allow teams some flexibility in regards to filling the spots of those players that are injured without having to shelve the injured player for the season.

They have that - inactive list. That is why you have 8 guys who are not active all of the time. They can be used for players you want to keep for practice and not expose (i.e. draft picks not ready for starting yet), players injured short term and spare players.

ajsdx
12-08-2007, 01:51 PM
They have that - inactive list. That is why you have 8 guys who are not active all of the time. They can be used for players you want to keep for practice and not expose (i.e. draft picks not ready for starting yet), players injured short term and spare players.

In that case, what's the fuss?

!Papacrunk!
12-08-2007, 03:44 PM
sometimes it's not great being second in the league. 2nd in the league for most players on IR, yeesh.

Lexwhat
12-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Maybe the Bills shouldn't have been stupid. They shouldn't have put Poz on IR in the first place...

Lexwhat
12-08-2007, 11:46 PM
By the way Bulldog - I wasn't directing my post at you. I was just saying...