• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

John McCargo

Some of us can't watch any games at all due to living locations, so can someone give us an update on how McCargo is playing and progressing this year? Thanks!
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: John McCargo

Originally posted by jamze132
    Some of us can't watch any games at all due to living locations, so can someone give us an update on how McCargo is playing and progressing this year? Thanks!
    IMO McCargo has become our best DT. He still gets less reps than Tripplett but he is out-performing him especially against the run. He is consistently blowing up double-teams and gets into the backfield quickly. He doesnt always make the tackle when he knifes through but he still does a good job to re-route the RB allowing our LBs to make plays. If we get another consistent DT to play next to McCargo next year we might end up with one of the best DT combos in the NFL. I really think McCargo is that good. So much for Levy reaching into the first round!

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

mccargo has played much better this year than most people expected. many people around here labeled him a bust, injury proned, and worthless.

i think he has shown a huge amount of improvement and things are looking very good for his future.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• bigbub2352
        • Feb 2005

McCargo is definetly showing signs of a dminant force up the middle, he just needs some help because teams have taken notice, he plays hard every snap and has made quite a few plays in the backfeild, he is providing a decent pass rush and was a big part of Crowell saftey, all and all 100% better than last years IR year, and i think he can be a building block for our D for years to come
        XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

Originally posted by jamze132
          Well, let's see, he's got one sack on the season as the sum total of all sacks for the entire DT corps, and that one came in the Denver game, not on a great play by McCargo, but on a broken play finding Cutler running around the backfield for like 15 seconds, yes really, before running right into McG's awaiting arms.

Otherwise he's logged no sacks in the other 11 weeks since week one.

According to NFL.com, he ranks 17th on the Bills in tackles, again, as a starting DT.

He's posted three games with more than 2 tackles.

So you can connect the dots. Some here will tell you how much better he is this year, but again, connect the dots. IMO this F7 does so little that when there is a big play everyone rejoices and it's like sitting in the middle of the desert thirsting to death, then having someone offer you a cup of water, and then proclaiming that that was the best drink of anything you've ever had. True perhaps, but it doesn't make water the most flavorful drink in the world.

McCargo has one season to kick it up about three notches or we can officially label him a bust. To date, he is a bust given that we utterly wasted two day-one picks on him. He is fully incapable of anchoring down one DT position F/T and the only reason why he's even as effective as he is is because he rotates continually keeping him relatively fresh. If not he'd be getting steamrolled on a regular basis. He makes the rare good play, but heck, so do most other players.

Those that say much more are merely deluding themselves as they do annually here just like they did with so many players before now. McGahee, Bledsoe, Vincent, Milloy, Bennie Anderson, Tucker, Kevin Everett, Craig Nall, Peerless Price, Chris Villarrial, Fowler, Losman, Edwards, ... Y-A-W-N!!! The list goes on, and on, and on, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Tatonka
            mccargo has played much better this year than most people expected. many people around here labeled him a bust, injury proned, and worthless.

i think he has shown a huge amount of improvement and things are looking very good for his future.
            So then, "much better" than horrid translates to "not a bust?"

Well, OK.

How does he compare to above average DTs?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
              Well, let's see, he's got one sack on the season as the sum total of all sacks for the entire DT corps, and that one came in the Denver game, not on a great play by McCargo, but on a broken play finding Cutler running around the backfield for like 15 seconds, yes really, before running right into McG's awaiting arms.

According to NFL.com, he ranks 17th on the Bills in tackles, again, as a starting DT.

So you can connect the dots. Some here will tell you how much better he is this year, but again, connect the dots. IMO this F7 does so little that when there is a big play everyone rejoices and it's like sitting in the middle of the desert thirsting to death, then having someone offer you a cup of water, and then proclaiming that that was the best drink of anything you've ever had. True perhaps, but it doesn't make water the most flavorful drink in the world.

McCargo has one season to kick it up about three notches or we can officially label him a bust. To date, he is a bust given that we utterly wasted two day-one picks on him. He is fully incapable of anchoring down one DT position F/T and the only reason why he's even as effective as he is is because he rotates continually keeping him relatively fresh. If not he'd be getting steamrolled on a regular basis. He makes the rare good play, but heck, so do most other players.

Those that say much more are merely deluding themselves as they do annually here just like they did with so many players before now. McGahee, Bledsoe, Vincent, Milloy, Bennie Anderson, Tucker, Kevin Everett, Craig Nall, Peerless Price, Chris Villarrial, Fowler, Losman, Edwards, ... Y-A-W-N!!! The list goes on, and on, and on, ...
              Are you tired Wys? You should take a nap!

Comment

• hydro
                • Oct 2005

starting DT.
                Well thats where you are wrong...

Tripplett and Williams start every game.
                BERNIAC!

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

McCargo has trailed off the last couple games, but overall I think he's improving significantly. He's definitely in the backfield more and comes up with some stops in the run game. I think he may be starting to attract more attention from the O, which is why Tripplett is playing better.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

Originally posted by hydrosmak
                    Well thats where you are wrong...

Tripplett and Williams start every game.
                    In our system we have multiple starters. I've explained this before. Yes, Tripplett and Williams typically take the field on the first snap, but they all get comparable reps in this dunderheaded system designed to disrupt but that doesn't. It's weird, odd, and ******ed. It should hang an albatross of shame around Jauron's neck, and will, albeit it will take one more season before the diehard homers finally get tired of being dominated in the fundamentals by most teams, even the pathetic ones in wins.

Either way, let's suppose that at face value you are correct.

So the argument now is how good McCargo is because he can't replace Tripplett as a starter? How good is Tripplett then? I think he sucks. He's backup material.

So then, a guy that's been a proven perennial backup, backup/starter 'tweener tops, cannot be overcome by a player that we traded up two day one picks for?

And you think that's good then? Tsk, tsk. Shame on you, truly.

Our entire DT rotation is backup/depth material. Since by your standards McCargo is a backup in exactly such a situation, and given the pathetic overall performance by our DTs/DL and F7 in general to begin with, this makes a positive statement for McCargo how now?

Comment

• streetkings01
                      • Jul 2006

Post removed due to ToS violation. ~ Mr. Miyagi
                      Last edited by Mr. Miyagi; 12-07-2007, 04:01 PM.
                      You can call me streetkings

Comment

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        McCargo has trailed off the last couple games, but overall I think he's improving significantly. He's definitely in the backfield more and comes up with some stops in the run game. I think he may be starting to attract more attention from the O, which is why Tripplett is playing better.
                        What's the evidence of this?

He makes no tackles relatively speaking, few big plays, has made some big mistakes, and generally has no significant stats.

I know, I know, stats in his case are immaterial perhaps just like so many players in the past. (sarcasm)

Players in this league get rated/ranked/accoladed according to how their play manifests itself. The best that can be said about McCargo under those circumstances is that he's so feared by our opposing Offenses and offensive coordinators played that they intentionally avoid him in their game planning. To believe that would be about as naive as it gets IMO.

Frankly, the coaching has much to do with a lot of this. But again, I go back to trading a 2nd and high 3rd round pick in order to get what, a backup??

Whatever. Viva La Levy I suppose. At that rate we'll be lucky to ever post a winning season. We've sunk so many resources into a DL that doesn't even play traditional football. We have "shared starting" players that all rotate evenly for the most part meaning that we have to pay 8-10 players what most teams get from three or four.

If people believe in that philosophy, then they clearly do not understand the concept of a zero-sum game. The salary cap era of football is clearly exactly such a scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloBills06
                          Wys...would you just STFU please?????? All you do is talk **** and when the Bills win you are nowhere to be found. What a ****ing loser!
                          Yeah, nice post.

Good to see the mods on top of this.

Sure, I'll STFU. Your request is granted.

Have a great weekend 06!

Comment

• streetkings01
                            • Jul 2006

Yeah, nice post.

Good to see the mods on top of this.

Sure, I'll STFU. Your request is granted.

Have a great weekend 06!

Wow...thats all it take for you to shut up??? If I would've known that, I would've done it a whooooooooooooooooooooooooole lot sooner!
                            You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

What's the evidence of this?

He makes no tackles relatively speaking, few big plays, has made some big mistakes, and generally has no significant stats.

I know, I know, stats in his case are immaterial perhaps just like so many players in the past. (sarcasm)

Players in this league get rated/ranked/accoladed according to how their play manifests itself. The best that can be said about McCargo under those circumstances is that he's so feared by our opposing Offenses and offensive coordinators played that they intentionally avoid him in their game planning. To believe that would be about as naive as it gets IMO.

Frankly, the coaching has much to do with a lot of this. But again, I go back to trading a 2nd and high 3rd round pick in order to get what, a backup??

Whatever. Viva La Levy I suppose. At that rate we'll be lucky to ever post a winning season. We've sunk so many resources into a DL that doesn't even play traditional football. We have "shared starting" players that all rotate evenly for the most part meaning that we have to pay 8-10 players what most teams get from three or four.

If people believe in that philosophy, then they clearly do not understand the concept of a zero-sum game. The salary cap era of football is clearly exactly such a scenario.
                              You really dont understand football at all...and you dont watch football either. McCargo doesnt need to even make a tackle to be effective. Many times he just gets into the backfield quick enough to disrupt the running lane and cause the RB to adjust which gives our LBs a chance to make plays. McCargo is the main reason our run D has improved vastly over last year and if you paid attention and actually watched him play you would see that he is a force that teams are taking account of and double-teaming. And even then he is making plays. Stats are not important when it comes to how effective a DT is. Sure he could have more sacks but his contributions on D have been more than almost any player on Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X