• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Don Bank's re-draft

Draft redux

Re-projecting the draft based on 2007 performances

Posted: Friday December 7, 2007 12:12PM; Updated: Friday December 7, 2007 2:40PM

With four weeks left in the regular season, it's time for a December do-over. In our third annual NFL re-draft, here's what we'd do with the first round, knowing what we know now:

Don Banks' Revised Draft
    PositionTeam
    1Oakland Raiders
    CALVIN JOHNSON, WR Georgia Tech

Original pick: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
    While Adrian Peterson has been the clear-cut rookie of the year, the Raiders have the fourth-ranked running game with emerging fifth-year vet Justin Fargas. An upgrade in the receiving ranks is still needed, and given JaMarcus Russell's lost year, taking the freakishly gifted Johnson would have been the wiser pick.
    2Detroit Lions
    ADRIAN PETERSON, RB, Oklahoma

Original pick: Calvin Johnson, WR, Lions
    The Lions rank dead last in the NFL in rushing (77.2 ypg), and the tandem of Kevin Jones and Tatum Bell pales in comparison to the talents of the most electrifying rookie rusher to hit the league since the Lions selected Barry Sanders third overall in 1989.
    3Cleveland Browns
    JOE THOMAS, OT, Wisconsin

Original pick: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
    Some second-guessed the Browns on draft day for bypassing Brady Quinn to take the Badgers tackle, but Cleveland hit a grand slam with the pick. Thomas has people talking Pro Bowl already, and his early dominance has as much to do with the Browns' playoff contention as anything.
    4Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    AMOBI OKOYE, DT, Louisville

Original pick: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
    Given the Bucs' need for another receiving threat, it was tempting to give them Dwayne Bowe in this slot. But Okoye has been described as a young Warren Sapp, and Tampa Bay could use a playmaking presence at tackle. Four of Okoye's five sacks came in September, but he continues to play staunch run defense.
    5Arizona Cardinals
    LEVI BROWN, OT, Penn State

Original pick: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State
    The Cardinals' 25th-ranked running game still leaves a lot to be desired, but Brown has been a defensible pick, starting at right tackle in seven of the nine games he's played. Arizona is well-stocked at a lot of the positions that make sense for the second half of our re-draft's top 10.
    6Washington Redskins
    LARON LANDRY, S, LSU

Original pick: LaRon Landry, S, LSU
    The Redskins found themselves facing injury issues on their offensive line from training camp on, so Thomas or Brown would have been natural fits had they lasted to No. 6. But Landry has been anything but a disappointment, and the Redskins need him all the more now in light of the Sean Taylor tragedy.
    7Minnesota Vikings
    DWAYNE BOWE, WR, LSU

Original pick: Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings
    Without Peterson's impact to rely on, the Vikings would be in the market for another big-play option. Bowe has been this draft's second-best performer in that department, leading all rookie receivers in catches (54), yardage (786) and touchdowns (4, tied).
    8Atlanta Falcons
    JAMARCUS RUSSELL, QB, LSU

Original pick: Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas
    We make it three ex-LSU Tigers in a row with Russell, whose rookie season in Oakland was effectively sacrificed to his contract stalemate. The Falcons' quarterback disaster makes this a no-brainer. Enough of Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich and Chris Redman. Bobby Petrino would snap up Russell and have a QB to groom.
    9Miami Dolphins
    PATRICK WILLIS, LB, Mississippi

Original pick: Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State
    The Dolphins obviously have needs everywhere you look, but with veteran middle linebacker Zach Thomas playing in just five games this season, the polished Willis would have filled a very large gap in the middle of Miami's defense.
    10Houston Texans
    MARSHAWN LYNCH, RB, California

Original pick: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
    The Ahman Green acquisition hasn't worked out, and Ron Dayne is just a stop-gap option. If the Texans had Lynch, the league's second-most impressive rookie runner, they'd have the makings of a very balanced offense.

More... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Don Bank's re-draft

28San Francisco 49ers
    TRENT EDWARDS, QB, Stanford

Original pick: Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan
    With the 49ers having already landed offensive tackle Tony Ugoh earlier in my re-draft, they don't need to go after OT Joe Staley with this pick. But given their quarterback miseries, how about taking a chance on Edwards, the local kid from Stanford? True, taking another first-round quarterback would would signal the end of the Alex Smith era, but Smith is starting to run low on time anyway.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• MarshawnIsDaMan
      • Nov 2007

great, then we got two first round picks basically.
      The Bills havent made the playoffs since I graduated high school. Lets please make it before Im 30.

This is the next superstar RB

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Would've been "three" if Poz didn't get hurt. He has ability and a marketable "mystic" about him as well.

How much would we all HATE Lynch if he was a Dolphin? lol

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

12Buffalo Bills
          JON BEASON, LB, Miami

Original pick: Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal
          With Lynch gone to the No. 10 Texans, and second-rounder Paul Posluszny lost for the year early on with a broken forearm, Beason is a judicious use of the pick. If you're wondering why I don't give them quarterback Trent Edwards, who they wound up getting in the third round, it's a still a bit high for the ex-Stanford star.

Wouldn't have complained about him either. He looks really good for Carolina I've heard (I barely watched any Panther ball this season, its painful to see)

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

yeah, Pos definately would have been on that list.. 100%. he was out tackling willis until he got hurt.
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Ed
              Dude
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              12Buffalo Bills
              JON BEASON, LB, Miami

Original pick: Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal
              With Lynch gone to the No. 10 Texans, and second-rounder Paul Posluszny lost for the year early on with a broken forearm, Beason is a judicious use of the pick. If you're wondering why I don't give them quarterback Trent Edwards, who they wound up getting in the third round, it's a still a bit high for the ex-Stanford star.

Wouldn't have complained about him either. He looks really good for Carolina I've heard (I barely watched any Panther ball this season, its painful to see)
              I can't say I've watched Beason play, but if we're going LB, I would probably rather have Harris. He's looked like a beast with the Jets. Great pick by them in the 2nd.

It's too bad Poz got hurt and that he got put on IR. It would have been fun to watch his development. 2007 is looking like a pretty great class for LB's.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                Would've been "three" if Poz didn't get hurt. He has ability and a marketable "mystic" about him as well.

How much would we all HATE Lynch if he was a Dolphin? lol
                I don't HATE Ginn or Beck. I'm sure they're decent people.

They just suck.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

After reading that New Orleans shoulda taken Folk, a kicker that the Cowboys took in round 6, I laughed and stopped caring about this guy's re-draft idea.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Ed
                    I can't say I've watched Beason play, but if we're going LB, I would probably rather have Harris. He's looked like a beast with the Jets. Great pick by them in the 2nd.

It's too bad Poz got hurt and that he got put on IR. It would have been fun to watch his development. 2007 is looking like a pretty great class for LB's.
                    Don't bring that dude up. We coulda had him without trading up. That guy is a ****ing monster hitter. I love what Poz brings to this team with ability and appeal as a member of the organization; but David Harris is going to end up in a league of his own. In fact, I think the Jets will dump Vilma after this year this guy is so good (I'll take Vilma BTW)

Comment

• Don't Panic
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Ed

Living in Carolina I get more than my fair share of Panther games. Beason has been a stud... as has Willis. Still, with where we're sitting, who's gonna complain?

BTW... if Edwards is a 1st rounder, then we ended up getting a 1st, 3rd and 6th for McGahee. Not too shabby.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                        • May 2003

Tanard Jackson has been awesome so far this season.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                          After reading that New Orleans shoulda taken Folk, a kicker that the Cowboys took in round 6, I laughed and stopped caring about this guy's re-draft idea.
                          After reading Adrian Peterson wasn't number 1, I stopped reading.

Comment

• Luisito23
                            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                            After reading Adrian Peterson wasn't number 1, I stopped reading.

Like he could post those numbers with any other OL....He's lucky he was drafted by the team with the best line in the NFL...or else he'll probably have numbers similar to Lynch....You can put Mikey down there and he too will be breaking records....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!
                            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Beason has been scary good for Carolina, he's been the best LB so far this year for rookies
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X