CB Nnamdi Asomugha/Oakland
    CB Asante Samuel/New England
    CB Marcus Trufant/Seattle
    CB Drayton Florence/San Diego

SS Bob Sanders/Indianapolis
    FS Gibril Wilson/New York Giants

K Josh Brown/Seattle
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Re: 2008 Significant NFL Free Agent List

ok but who franchises a kicker with the new rules?

That list of WR is boring

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
      • Apr 2007

Hey, what's up? I've been a fairly frequent reader but periodic poster. Anyway, I saw a thread regarding our own FA's (they're not much to speak of... for once), and I thought that I would post a list of FA's that will be available and will be of value. I realize that the Bills will be constrained by our self-imposed 'cash to the cap', but there should still be room to sign one or two reasonably impressive FA's at the following positions: WR (second wideout w/size and sufficient speed; redzone target, too), WLB (Ellison can be supplanted), TE, and CB. I'd include DT but there isn't anyone who's appreciably better than what we have now, besides Albert Haynesworth, who will never hit the market.

My sort of preliminary "intinerary" for the Bills this offseason involve signing a WR and WLB. I really like the Seahawks' D.J. Hackett (6'2", 208) who has an immense amount of potential- he made Darrell Jackson expendable in Seattle- but who has been hampered by a high ankle sprain this year. Still, I like him and think he could afford the Bills' a 1B option; he and Lee Evans could amount to a poor man's Harrison and Wayne, IMHO. Bryant Johnson (6'3", 216) also might be able to make the move to being a capable #2; he's reduced to third wideout behind Boldin and Fitzgerald, obviously, but rises to the occasion when called on. At WLB, a cheaper alternative to Lance Briggs (3/5ths the cost, IMO) would be the Bengals' Landon Johnson. Don't find him guilty by association; it's the consensus by most Bengals' fans that he's one of their top two best and most consequential defenders (he really stands out and the fans on their message boards often make him offseason target #1) and Johnson also has very good size and speed for the weakside. His career production is nothing to scoff at; he's gotten the job done, despite the lack of help surrounding him. Anyway, I bolded other players the Bills may or may not consider but probably at least should consider. And suffice it to say, I like this FA crop.

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
        • Apr 2007

Andy- Josh Brown was franchised last year; he probably will be again if no contract's reached.

Comment

• Lexwhat
          • Feb 2005

I'm curious ... Isn't David Diehl a highly regarded player?

If we don't sign any other major free agents, I would throw him a contract similar to Dockery's...

Comment

• Akhippo
            • Nov 2002

I would def. go after B Johnson and DJ Hackett. Johnson is stepping it up in AZ with Boldin and Fitz down. His size and speed would be great assets. Same with Hackett. Hes in a pass first offense so he is very capable.

I dont think Evans will resign, so Hackett/Johnson/Parrish with a rookie to groom would be a nice mix.

The only other person I would sign would be Briggs to take Ellisons spot.
            Crowell/Poz/Briggs with Digiorgio backing up would be solid as well.

The rest we'll leave to the draft for a DT/TE/Corner.
            Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• B-DON
              hi
              • Mar 2004

Dallas clark would be awesome but probably unrealistic. I hope we sign hackett. This guy is waiting to bust out. He is right on the cusp imo.

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

I would toss a lot of money at Dallas Clark!

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                  • Sep 2003

The only concern I would have about Hackett is injuries. He's been out most of this year with two separate ones.
                  "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

If recent history is any indication, the team will throw a ton of money at two (maybe three) guys at the most very early and the rest will be players you've barely even heard of.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

There's a recent article out there that indicates Berrian is already talking about wanting big-time money.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

I like the Hackett or Johnson idea metioned above by MWBF and would take either TE listed. Clark will probably stay in Indy but Smith could be had. Need to give Edwards more than Evans & Reed.

Everything else will probably arrive on Draft Day. DT's, a playmaking LB/DE. Center.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                          • Sep 2003

Out of the entire list I like Dallas Clark for 2 reasons,

1) Vetern Leadership and Playoff experiance for a young offense.
                          2) TE is the second hardest offensive position to learn (so I have benn told by pundits, we really don't want to have to develope a rookie, we need a vet there).

I believe he will hit the market if indy does not resign him or Sanders prior to FA, If neither is signed prior to FA they (INDY) have to franchise Sanders don't you think?

If I could pick 2 top tier FA's from that list

1) TE D. Clark
                          2) DT Haynesworth

Draft
                          1) WR
                          2) OLB
                          3) CB
                          3) C

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                            There's a recent article out there that indicates Berrian is already talking about wanting big-time money.
                            Wow.

He makes many great catches but also drops a significant number of easy ones, well above the norm. That's what drove me nuts about Moulds.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Kerr
                              Hall of Fame Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

The idea of briging Bryant Johnson or DJ Hackett are realistic. While BJ could never probably be a #1 receiver, he has the makings of a solid #2 possession receiver who keeps the chains moving. His average ypc has been pretty good in his career. He has the size to be a good red zone target as well.
                              DJ Hackett has relatively been Seattle's #1 receiver ever since he got chance to play exclusively in their offense. Branch never got the chance to become that #1 receiver seattle hoped for. Hacket is a playmaker and has a knack of getting over 100 yds when he plays. The only negative with him is that he's had a sequence of high ankle sprains. It's probably something just coincidential, but when the guy is healthy he make plays. Overall, I think the bills have a better chance of wooing BJ instead of DH because he's been seattle's #1 receiver and they'll probably give him a monster deal to keep him. BJ is the 3rd receiver in AZ and will likely look elsewhere to have a bigger role in an offense.
                              BTW, someone had mentioned to me about trading for Roy Williams of detriot(rumor he wants out of detriot), but even though I like the idea, especially since they could probably get him for a 4th(See Randy Moss), i'm not sure our friend Mr.Evans wants to share the spotlight with another #1 receiver.

As far as Tight End goes, I think Clark is staying. LJ Smith I like. He can stretch the field and be a good receiving threat. You could go two routes in the offseason here. Sign Smith and keep gaines, then dump royal or two, dump royal, keep gaines and draft a TE such as Martin Rucker out of Missouri to stretch the field.

I don't think DT will be the 1st pick because I think there's a pretty good DT out there from green bay in Corey Williams. The guy is a force and would be a good fit in our defense. He's on a team that is stacked with D-linemen and might be expendable. If you recall, he had 3 sacks against the bills last season. His big, instinctive and plays with good speed. I'd rather try to sign him than draft a DT in the 1st round. I think the bills will draft linebacker in 1st the round. Possibly Lauranitis out of Ohio state to play MLB and move Poz to the outside.

Comment

Working...
                              X