CB Asante Samuel/New England
CB Marcus Trufant/Seattle
CB Drayton Florence/San Diego

SS Bob Sanders/Indianapolis
FS Gibril Wilson/New York Giants

K Josh Brown/Seattle

ParanoidAndroid
12-07-2007, 10:20 PM
ok but who franchises a kicker with the new rules?

That list of WR is boring

Midwesternbillsfan
12-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Hey, what's up? I've been a fairly frequent reader but periodic poster. Anyway, I saw a thread regarding our own FA's (they're not much to speak of... for once), and I thought that I would post a list of FA's that will be available and will be of value. I realize that the Bills will be constrained by our self-imposed 'cash to the cap', but there should still be room to sign one or two reasonably impressive FA's at the following positions: WR (second wideout w/size and sufficient speed; redzone target, too), WLB (Ellison can be supplanted), TE, and CB. I'd include DT but there isn't anyone who's appreciably better than what we have now, besides Albert Haynesworth, who will never hit the market.

My sort of preliminary "intinerary" for the Bills this offseason involve signing a WR and WLB. I really like the Seahawks' D.J. Hackett (6'2", 208) who has an immense amount of potential- he made Darrell Jackson expendable in Seattle- but who has been hampered by a high ankle sprain this year. Still, I like him and think he could afford the Bills' a 1B option; he and Lee Evans could amount to a poor man's Harrison and Wayne, IMHO. Bryant Johnson (6'3", 216) also might be able to make the move to being a capable #2; he's reduced to third wideout behind Boldin and Fitzgerald, obviously, but rises to the occasion when called on. At WLB, a cheaper alternative to Lance Briggs (3/5ths the cost, IMO) would be the Bengals' Landon Johnson. Don't find him guilty by association; it's the consensus by most Bengals' fans that he's one of their top two best and most consequential defenders (he really stands out and the fans on their message boards often make him offseason target #1) and Johnson also has very good size and speed for the weakside. His career production is nothing to scoff at; he's gotten the job done, despite the lack of help surrounding him. Anyway, I bolded other players the Bills may or may not consider but probably at least should consider. And suffice it to say, I like this FA crop.

Midwesternbillsfan
12-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Andy- Josh Brown was franchised last year; he probably will be again if no contract's reached.

Lexwhat
12-07-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm curious ... Isn't David Diehl a highly regarded player?

If we don't sign any other major free agents, I would throw him a contract similar to Dockery's...

Akhippo
12-07-2007, 11:26 PM
I would def. go after B Johnson and DJ Hackett. Johnson is stepping it up in AZ with Boldin and Fitz down. His size and speed would be great assets. Same with Hackett. Hes in a pass first offense so he is very capable.

I dont think Evans will resign, so Hackett/Johnson/Parrish with a rookie to groom would be a nice mix.

The only other person I would sign would be Briggs to take Ellisons spot.
Crowell/Poz/Briggs with Digiorgio backing up would be solid as well.

The rest we'll leave to the draft for a DT/TE/Corner.

B-DON
12-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Dallas clark would be awesome but probably unrealistic. I hope we sign hackett. This guy is waiting to bust out. He is right on the cusp imo.

Michael82
12-08-2007, 12:59 AM
I would toss a lot of money at Dallas Clark! :drool:

MikeInRoch
12-08-2007, 02:14 AM
The only concern I would have about Hackett is injuries. He's been out most of this year with two separate ones.

YardRat
12-08-2007, 04:52 AM
If recent history is any indication, the team will throw a ton of money at two (maybe three) guys at the most very early and the rest will be players you've barely even heard of.

YardRat
12-08-2007, 04:53 AM
There's a recent article out there that indicates Berrian is already talking about wanting big-time money.

Night Train
12-08-2007, 05:31 AM
I like the Hackett or Johnson idea metioned above by MWBF and would take either TE listed. Clark will probably stay in Indy but Smith could be had. Need to give Edwards more than Evans & Reed.

Everything else will probably arrive on Draft Day. DT's, a playmaking LB/DE. Center.

alohabillsfan
12-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Out of the entire list I like Dallas Clark for 2 reasons,

1) Vetern Leadership and Playoff experiance for a young offense.
2) TE is the second hardest offensive position to learn (so I have benn told by pundits, we really don't want to have to develope a rookie, we need a vet there).

I believe he will hit the market if indy does not resign him or Sanders prior to FA, If neither is signed prior to FA they (INDY) have to franchise Sanders don't you think?

If I could pick 2 top tier FA's from that list

1) TE D. Clark
2) DT Haynesworth

Draft
1) WR
2) OLB
3) CB
3) C

Night Train
12-08-2007, 07:17 AM
There's a recent article out there that indicates Berrian is already talking about wanting big-time money.

Wow.

He makes many great catches but also drops a significant number of easy ones, well above the norm. That's what drove me nuts about Moulds.

Kerr
12-08-2007, 08:19 AM
The idea of briging Bryant Johnson or DJ Hackett are realistic. While BJ could never probably be a #1 receiver, he has the makings of a solid #2 possession receiver who keeps the chains moving. His average ypc has been pretty good in his career. He has the size to be a good red zone target as well.
DJ Hackett has relatively been Seattle's #1 receiver ever since he got chance to play exclusively in their offense. Branch never got the chance to become that #1 receiver seattle hoped for. Hacket is a playmaker and has a knack of getting over 100 yds when he plays. The only negative with him is that he's had a sequence of high ankle sprains. It's probably something just coincidential, but when the guy is healthy he make plays. Overall, I think the bills have a better chance of wooing BJ instead of DH because he's been seattle's #1 receiver and they'll probably give him a monster deal to keep him. BJ is the 3rd receiver in AZ and will likely look elsewhere to have a bigger role in an offense.
BTW, someone had mentioned to me about trading for Roy Williams of detriot(rumor he wants out of detriot), but even though I like the idea, especially since they could probably get him for a 4th(See Randy Moss), i'm not sure our friend Mr.Evans wants to share the spotlight with another #1 receiver.

As far as Tight End goes, I think Clark is staying. LJ Smith I like. He can stretch the field and be a good receiving threat. You could go two routes in the offseason here. Sign Smith and keep gaines, then dump royal or two, dump royal, keep gaines and draft a TE such as Martin Rucker out of Missouri to stretch the field.

I don't think DT will be the 1st pick because I think there's a pretty good DT out there from green bay in Corey Williams. The guy is a force and would be a good fit in our defense. He's on a team that is stacked with D-linemen and might be expendable. If you recall, he had 3 sacks against the bills last season. His big, instinctive and plays with good speed. I'd rather try to sign him than draft a DT in the 1st round. I think the bills will draft linebacker in 1st the round. Possibly Lauranitis out of Ohio state to play MLB and move Poz to the outside.

patmoran2006
12-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Here's one person's opinion....

WR- You can forget Berrian. He will be too expensive and as long as we want to keep Evans long-term, they're not going to pay big money for another WR. I really like Hackett but the injuries worry me. Of this list, the person I'd like to see them sign is Bryan Johnson (Cards). This guy has talent but has played in the shadows of Boldin and Fitzgerald. He may come at an affordable price. I wouldn't be surprised though if WR is addressed earlier in the draft.

TE- If we only sign ONE significant FA period this offseason, I'd want it to be him. The style Edwards plays, Dallas Clark would be a ridiculous asset to his development. As someone else said earlier, besides his ability he'd bring tremendous leadership and experience to a team that frankly needs it. He would make this entire offense and for the record, I think he WILL hit the market. Indy has a lot of money tied up and this guy won't come cheap.

DT- Haynesworth isn't going anywhere. TEnn will franchise him if they dont sign him long term. I think this will be addressed via draft, maybe even the first round pick. Tripplett/McCargo look pretty good right now. Kyle Williams has his good games and bad games. I'd like to see an upgrade but I'm not sure this position is in as bad shape as some think.

LB- If we sign ONE good FA, I hope its a OLB. I hate Ellison, I think he's a dime a dozen regular joe. Lance Briggs would be fantastic, but I'm thinking the team won't pay that much money for him. Plus, as said earlier, if we break the bank once I'd rather it be for Clark, I think we "need" a guy like him more than anything on this roster. One guy NOT on the list who may become available (cheaper than Briggs) could be Vilma. I think the Jets will cut him because David Harris is a monster, the Jets have many needs and they could use the extra cap space. Vilma/Crowell/Poz would be a solid tandem.

CB- Frankly, I don't know what the Bills would do. I dont think they have a #1 corner right now. I think they have a pair of #2's. It would be great to see either McGee or Greer the nickel back. I don't think they should BOTH be starters. But CB's are expensive so that may not switch next year. A better front seven would also help our CB's.

Summary: Unlike other years, I don't have a long, unrealistic "wish list". If we can sign just TWO prominent FA's I'd be thrilled. Dallas Clark and a significant upgrade over Ellison, my pick realistically is Vilma.

I'd use the draft for the best DT, WR and CB I could find.

patmoran2006
12-08-2007, 08:27 AM
BTW,
Vilma's 2008 salary is to be $10.9 million.

Consider him "cut" right now.

alohabillsfan
12-08-2007, 08:38 AM
BTW,
Vilma's 2008 salary is to be $10.9 million.

Consider him "cut" right now.

Pat, with the rift he has with the coaching staff (man-gina) don't you think he would love to come here, play WSB in a 4-3 like he should be cast.

The only question I have is this,

Is our sack production down because of the D-line or is the loss of Clements hurting our coverage that much? Hmmmm?

!Papacrunk!
12-08-2007, 08:40 AM
it's funny, it's great that the salary cap has been increased, but at the same time it sucks because some really good FA's may never hit the market because teams have been able to re-sign them for longer contracts. The players that may not fit that situation are players that seem to be past there glory days, but with maybe a couple of good seasons left.

I really hope Miami takes a look at some of those corners. After this horrendous season, it's great that Miami will be in really good shape cap wise.

patmoran2006
12-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Pat, with the rift he has with the coaching staff (man-gina) don't you think he would love to come here, play WSB in a 4-3 like he should be cast.

The only question I have is this,

Is our sack production down because of the D-line or is the loss of Clements hurting our coverage that much? Hmmmm?
I think it's both.
Clements is a CB you can't look at by his numbers. A lot of teams during his stay here simply stayed away from him, and it's hard to appreciate that until he's gone.

Having said that, the Bills would've been INSANE to pay him that kind of money in a cover two scheme. I think McGee and Greer, ONE of them should be a starter. but the CB is kinda thin, and you don't want to overpay for a CB, which is what I fear the Bills will do.

IF I have my preference, I'd say the front seven helps the CB a lot. I'd rather invest in a Vilma or Briggs over a top CB like Asante Samuel.

Midwesternbillsfan
12-08-2007, 08:52 AM
For the record, the reason that I think that D.J. Hackett will be available on March 1st is because Seattle's cap situation is in bad shape and they will have less than $10 million dollars of cap room to re-sign CB Marcus Trufunt, their starting RT Sean Locklear, and Hackett. Hackett may play like the Seahawks' #1 receiver when healthy, but he's still technically their #2 behind Deion Branch, who is just in the second season of a 6 year, $39 million dollar deal. Besides Branch, Seattle also has Bobby Engram, who is a veteran but still a productive one and has accumulated nice stats w/Hackett out of the lineup. And then, of course, Seattle still has a fairly sizeable contract on the books with their 2006 FA addition Nate Burleson, not to mention a couple of players they plucked late in the draft whom have potential, Courtney Taylor (draft pick from Auburn) topping that list. So with limited cap space, some injury concern w/Hackett (I do believe that both times he's been out this year have been issues relating to his high ankle sprain; he hurt it and then came back and reaggravated it), and with Seattle having other players to take care of (Trufant's having a great season), Hackett should be available.

Pat and others have said it already, but I would expect Dallas Clark to hit the market, too. The Colts obviously already have significant money tied up in Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Saturday, Freeney, Mathis, etc., and you can expect that Bob Sanders will be the recipient of more of it more likely than his fellow Hawkeye Clark. Basically, for a team as cash-strapped as Indianapolis, it will most likely have to come down to Sanders vs. Clark. As good as his hands are, as much as he's having his best season THIS season, you can best in a New York minute they'd keep Sanders over Clark. And that's no slight against Dallas, either. None.

djjimkelly
12-08-2007, 12:21 PM
from this list of FA's i sign bryant johnson and one of the top CB's

johnson has some serious upside and has always played well when either boldin or FITZ is not playing

YardRat
12-08-2007, 12:29 PM
TE- If we only sign ONE significant FA period this offseason, I'd want it to be him. The style Edwards plays, Dallas Clark would be a ridiculous asset to his development.

LB- If we sign ONE good FA, I hope its a OLB.

Make up your mind...You get one. Vilma or Clark?

Ingtar33
12-08-2007, 01:58 PM
we get two or three of these guys and I'll be happy, hell good drafting + 1 of these guys would make my day.

FA wishlist

WR - Bryant Johnson

TE - Dallas Clark (i wanted us to draft him)

G - Alan Faneca/David Dahl/Jake Scott (pick one)

DT - Albert Haynesworth

WLB - Lance Briggs/Johnathan Vilma (if cut)

CB - Marcus Trufant/Nnamdi Asomugha

Bmax
12-08-2007, 11:54 PM
I just can't understand why some of you continue to say DT or DE is not a need .. If your happy with our talent at either one of these positions it's no wonder why we continue to miss the playoffs.

Granted we really need offensive help.. WR and TE....The draft is the way to go with both of these unless we sign LJ Smith or Clark ...not a likely option.....

We need an upgrade at DT next to Triplett and Mcargo....Unless the Bills plan on moving Mccargo to the 1 spot we need to find someone to man the position...

Kyle Williams is a nice hustle guy.. Lunch pail guy who works hard.. Play maker .. NO ....

Just look at the packers DT'S For example... starters...Ryan Pickett and John Jolly...backups...Corey Williams who has 7 sacks.. and Colin Cole .. The 5th DT is Justin Harrell....their #1 pick....

Who do we have Jefferson !!!!! That's it....If the Bills had signed Pickett we would not be having this debate...

Either we find some one in the draft...say 3rd rd or 4th .. I like Dre Moore Maryland who looks like he could move into rd 2 or go after....Frank Okam in rd 2..

You can never have too many big guys in the middle...I agree with Kerr go after Williams see how much it will cost us....Haynesworth is a pipe dream ....

Williams is only 27 ...2nd straight season with 7 sacks...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5704

Bmax