PDA

View Full Version : I just realized how we could catch J-ville and get the first Wild Card Spot

Patrick76777
12-08-2007, 08:51 AM
For informative purposes only!

What we would need to happen.

Buffalo - wins out

Cleveland - In addition to losing to Buffalo losses one other game. Maybe in NY this weekend.

Tenn - Finishes 3-1.

Jax - Finishes 2-2 with losses to Pitts and Hou.

Records

Buffalo 10-6
Jax 10-6
Ten 10-6

Ties broken in division first, and if it plays out as such, Tennessee would have the better division record and Jax would be eliminated. We would then beat Tennessee on Common oppenents like I laid out in my other thread the other day:

No head to head
Same conf record
Common games as follows:

Tennessee 2-3
Jax – W
Jax – L
Cin – L
Den – L
NYJ – W (assuming)

Buffalo 3-2
Jax – L
Cin – W
Den – L
NYJ – W
NYJ - W

Therefore, we would get the first spot. \

Thought you might be interested.

patmoran2006
12-08-2007, 09:07 AM
You could definitely be right. However, could you explain HOW Tenn would beat out the Jags in their division for the wild card?

Midwesternbillsfan
12-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Pat- it looks like Tennessee would have to beat Indianapolis in the RCA Dome on the last day of the season to finish 4-2 in the South (2-0 against Houston; 1-1 against Jacksonville; 1-1 against Indy). It could happen; Indianapolis probably for all intents and purposes wraps up the second seed with a Steelers' loss this weekend to the Patriots and doesn't have any incentive to keep the starters in against Tennessee too long. Anyway, Jacksonville already has three losses in the South (2 against the Colts, 1 against the Titans), so Tennessee would beat them in the South will either a win against Indy OR a Jaguars' loss to the Texans in Houston on the last day of the year.

TigerJ
12-08-2007, 09:38 AM
I would be shocked if Cleveland loses to the Jests. I would be nearly as shocked if Jacksonville loses to Houston. Isn't head to head the first tie breaker? Jacksonville just beat Buffalo, rather soundly in fact.

Forward_Lateral
12-08-2007, 09:47 AM
I thought head to head was the first tiebreaker as well.

Mitchy moo
12-08-2007, 10:17 AM
I thought head to head was the first tiebreaker as well.

3 way ties are broken first in the division, not in the conference. So tenn. knocks out Jax and we beat tenn. based on record against common opponents to take the higher seed (5th). Sorry Patrick, you left a door open & I had to close it.

Patrick76777
12-08-2007, 12:19 PM
You could definitely be right. However, could you explain HOW Tenn would beat out the Jags in their division for the wild card?

Division record. I think they split the season series, so it would go to division record. Right now Ten is 3-2 and Jax is 2-3. If Jax somehow can lose to Houston they'd be 2-4 and could not catch Tenn. The same can happen if Ten beats Indy.

Patrick76777
12-08-2007, 12:21 PM
3 way ties are broken first in the division, not in the conference. So tenn. knocks out Jax and we beat tenn. based on record against common opponents to take the higher seed (5th). Sorry Patrick, you left a door open & I had to close it.

You did good work my young student! Soon you will be writing playoff pictures. Good work.

YardRat
12-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Gotta beat Miami first.

BillyT92679
12-08-2007, 01:21 PM
We got the spirit, a lotta spirit yeah, we got the spirit, just watch it happen now!

SyraBillsLican
12-08-2007, 01:29 PM
i already posted this scenario

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=140957

FatalShot
12-08-2007, 11:21 PM
I am loving this scenario. Imagine us getting the first Wild Card playoff spot! :D

Novacane
12-09-2007, 06:29 AM
I'd be elated with the second WC spot