PDA

View Full Version : Say What You Want About The Bills...

LifetimeBillsFan
12-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Say what you want about the Bills this season--that they haven't beaten a team with a winning record this season, blah, blah, blah--but the fact remains that, with their win over Miami, the Bills have won 7 games this season, matching their total for last season, against a schedule that looked quite formidable before the season began.

And, now they're going to be playing some meaningful football games in December starting with next week's game in Cleveland. That they are even in a position to have such an opportunity after the way they started the season, the injuries that they have had, the Kevin Everett scare, and the way that they have had to juggle their starting QBs is a real testament to the character of this team.

No, the Bills do not have the overall talent yet to compete with the elite teams in the NFL, the likes of NE, Dallas, Indy, etc. But, if there is any doubt about this "no name", undertalented squad having the guts and character to hang in there and beat the teams that they are supposed to beat to give themselves a chance to fight things out with some of the other up-and-coming teams in the conference, their performance thus far this season should set that to rest regardless of how they do in their three remaining games.

Just compare the performance of this team to the 2005 squad: both teams went through changes at QB and a QB controversy, both teams lost key players early in the season--the difference: the "big-name" players on the 2005 team quit on their coaches, the fans and, ultimately, each other; this team did none of that, but persevered through even greater adversity.

And, how have all of those "big-name" talents who "just want to win" done with their new teams? Let's see. The last time I looked, the only one who was playing on a team with a winning record was Eric Moulds, who got picked up by the WR starved Titans after getting cut by Houston after a losing season. Sam Adams just got cut by a losing Denver team after a season on a losing Cincy defense. Willis McGahee is having a decent season and enjoying the women and nightlife of the Baltimore/Washington area, but his Ravens have flopped since his arrival. London Fletcher is stuck on a 6-7 Washington team. Takeo Spikes is "winning" big on a 5-8 Philly team that is virtually eliminated from the playoffs. And, Nate Clements is enjoying his big payday in the SF Bay area on a dreadful 49er team that is performing about as well as a lot of "experts" expected the Bills to perform this season. Having fun doing all that winning, fellas?

Is it possible that M.Levy might have known a little something when he got rid of those players and replaced him with some of the "no name" players who have been playing their tails off for the Bills this season?

Now, again, I'm not saying that the Bills are ready to take on the "big boys" of the NFL yet. And, it is very possible that this team may yet take a step backwards before they take their next step forward. But, give credit where credit is due.

The Bills cannot help that their schedule has not been as formidable as it appeared to be before the season started. They can only play the games that are scheduled and see where the chips lay when the season is over.

But, IMHO any so-called "Bills fan" who isn't proud of the way that this team has worked and scrapped to put themselves in a position to play meaningful football games in December of this season isn't a fan of Buffalo Bills football because, if nothing else, this team has embodied the work-ethic, toughness and willingness to stand up in the face of adversity that Buffalo and Bills fans have always looked for and admired in their teams.

There's still a long way to go and a lot of areas that need improvement if the Bills are going to turn into serious playoff and Super Bowl contenders--things that are worthy of discussion and criticism--but IMHO, regardless of how the Bills do in their remaining 3 games, they deserve a lot of credit and respect from their fans for the way that they have bounced back and fought this season.

They have made me proud to be a Bills fan and have given me hope that, after years of fumbling around, the team may finally be on the right track, despite the financial constraints placed on it by the owner and the local economy. Now let's see what they can do with the opportunity that they have made for themselves the rest of the way this season.

Captain gameboy
12-09-2007, 04:09 PM
I like this team a lot, and I like Marv Levy.

But to get to the point where we want them to get, I think Marv ought to turn it over to someone who is a bit better at pro personnel.

The King
12-09-2007, 04:10 PM
And, how have all of those "big-name" talents who "just want to win" done with their new teams? Let's see. The last time I looked, the only one who was playing on a team with a winning record was Eric Moulds, who got picked up by the WR starved Titans after getting cut by Houston after a losing season. Sam Adams just got cut by a losing Denver team after a season on a losing Cincy defense. Willis McGahee is having a decent season and enjoying the women and nightlife of the Baltimore/Washington area, but his Ravens have flopped since his arrival. London Fletcher is stuck on a 6-7 Washington team. Takeo Spikes is "winning" big on a 5-8 Philly team that is virtually eliminated from the playoffs. And, Nate Clements is enjoying his big payday in the SF Bay area on a dreadful 49er team that is performing about as well as a lot of "experts" expected the Bills to perform this season. Having fun doing all that winning, fellas?

:bf1:

YardRat
I really wish you would post more often. Top quality, every time.

Romes
well said. :10:

Mad Bomber
12-09-2007, 04:29 PM
:bf1: Great post, as usual.

Philagape
12-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Like I've said, I want a serious run in 2008

Ingtar33
12-09-2007, 05:48 PM
excellent post.

m76
12-09-2007, 06:21 PM
what a freaken day to be at the ralph.. damn i had fun... gooooooo bills
nothing is over... I'LL BE IN C-TOWN FOR THE GAME BRING IT 'DAWGPOUND'

FatalShot
12-09-2007, 06:36 PM
This is the first time I've been able to say this confindenlty in a cuople years. But despite whether the Bills make the playoffs or not, I will be proud of my team and will be looking foward to a good season next year!:bad:

justasportsfan
12-09-2007, 06:41 PM
:bf1:

Ebenezer
12-09-2007, 07:15 PM
I like this team a lot, and I like Marv Levy.

But to get to the point where we want them to get, I think Marv ought to turn it over to someone who is a bit better at pro personnel.
John Guy...he might have been the problem going back to the TD era.