PDA

View Full Version : Bills Spank Dolphins... My game thoughts

patmoran2006
12-09-2007, 06:22 PM
* Our offensive line is really starting to come together. This is the second straight game where RB's had holes to run through. Awesome job again in pass protection. Jason Peters should make the Pro Bowl THIS year. Everybody on the line was great today.

* We are going to end up with one of the best RB tandems in the league. Marshawn Lynch really is a beast, and Freddie Jackson is really good.. It was awesome to see them each get 100 today, it was deserved.

* Robert Royal really is a tight end in the offense? wow!

* It was nice to see Whitner get an interception. Maybe that will get him going.

* Anthony Hargrove is GANGSTER!!

* I thought the coaching, game plan and playcalling on both sides of the ball was fantastic.

Last but certainly not least; let's talk about Trent Edwards. There is NO MORE QB controversy, period.. And if there are any fools left who think his arm is weak; foooooooled you. What a perfect dart to Evans. The first TD to Evans was a perfect touch pass too. Overall, I thought Trent played very, very well. His stats outside of 4 TD's weren't all that great, but he took advantage of pretty much every opportunity. I don't care how ****ty Miami is, you score TD's when you have your shot. Today, the Bills and Edwards in particular were brilliant.

There wasn't before, but now there is really no doubt in my mind that this kid is going to be a big-time NFL quarterback. Between he and Lynch as rookie offensive forces, how could you not love the long-term possibilities?

Onto to a few but small bothersome things.

* Keith Ellison sucks. He misses tackles and worse, he drops interceptions. This is the second straight game one went right off his hands. If the Bills don't make a move this offseason at LB (and I think they will) DiGiorgio is staying in the lineup and Ellison will be out.

* We had a few too many stupid, annoying penalty. Is it in the Bills rule book that they must hold on returns? Parrish's beauty was negated. I think that's like four holding calls on returns in the past three games. Against a better team that may have costed us more.

SUmmary:
Miami really is a terrible, terrible football team. I don't see ANY strengths in that lineup that was out there today. They got a very long way to go. The Fins pretty much heard that bus running about half way through the first quarter.

Having said that, the Bills did what they had to do today. THey easily beat an opponent they should easily beat. Trent Edwards took a major step today. Chicken arm bashing? Gone. ****ty TD to INT ratio; Gone... This guy is playing with RIDICULOUS confidence. I'm really glad Evans had two TD's as well. These guys need to be on the same page and Im' certain that this will give Evans more confidence in him.

As luck has it, Tennesee lost. This pretty much puts the Bills in control of their own destiny. Cleveland will be treated like a playoff game and in some regards; it is. We have to be opportunistic next week, just like we were today; to beat them.

DraftBoy
12-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Only saw the 1st half but I agree with everything you said, although your love affair with Trent is bordering on MBB levels.

psst...
Lynch 23 Car, 107 yards, 1 Fumble Lost, LG 11
Jackson 15 Car, 115 Yards, Lg 27

Top 10 back though?

And before everybody jumps on my ass about being negative, Pat knows exactly what Im talking about here, so chill.

patmoran2006
12-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Only saw the 1st half but I agree with everything you said, although your love affair with Trent is bordering on MBB levels.

psst...
Lynch 23 Car, 107 yards, 1 Fumble Lost, LG 11
Jackson 15 Car, 115 Yards, Lg 27

Top 10 back though?

And before everybody jumps on my ass about being negative, Pat knows exactly what Im talking about here, so chill.
LOL...

I just love having a QB that doesn't seem on the verge of near single-handedly blowing a game at any given time.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Looking objectively, I actually thought Edwards had better control overall in other games, like the last one. I though his accuracy overall today was off from his normal standards. And he missed reading some wide open guys that he hasn't shown me before.

But his red zone plays have improved. I'm talking about his 2nd and 3rd TD passes. He showed some patience in giving the play that extra second to develop so Royal could slant over. He was also decisive in that throw to Evans. I can tell he's been working on those situations.

To be honest, I fully expect Edwards' red zone production to go up even before today's game. He's the type of QB perfect for that. Now with success he should be more confident in doing so down the road.

YardRat
12-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Ellison's replacement is probably on the roster already...I still think it's a real possibility DiG stays in the middle and Poz is moved to outside next year.

April's squad is really starting to get to the point where they're disappointing. I'm sure part of it is the constant switching of players due to injuries, but damn...They need to step it up a little bit.

They almost blew another onside kick today.

YardRat
12-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Looking objectively, I actually thought Edwards had better control overall in other games, like the last one. I though his accuracy overall today was off from his normal standards. And he missed reading some wide open guys that he hasn't shown me before.

But his red zone plays have improved. I'm talking about his 2nd and 3rd TD passes. He showed some patience in giving the play that extra second to develop so Royal could slant over. He was also decisive in that throw to Evans. I can tell he's been working on those situations.

To be honest, I fully expect Edwards' red zone production to go up even before today's game. He's the type of QB perfect for that. Now with success he should be more confident in doing so down the road.

Trent was trying to put too much on the ball in spots today, IMO, and I'm sure (those at the game would be able to correct if I'm wrong) the weather had at least a little bit to do with that. He connected on several nice passes and showed good touch a few times, but today's game was the first watching him where I got the impression it was getting to be a negative trend that he needs to work on.

Mitchy moo
12-09-2007, 08:28 PM
He gets 4 td passes and he is off?? You guys need to get your trolling more organized.

If a Rookie QB throws 4 td's and you win by 21, you have to give credit to him. F- anything else and what he might have missed, what did you expect, 7 TD's because he might have?? Give me a break.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Patmoran=prettydamnsmart

I look forward to your posts Pat!

BidsJr
12-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Patmoran=prettydamnsmart

I look forward to your posts Pat!

Not what you would have said at the beginning of the season when he could have been pegged as Wys's twin sister.

I agree his recent posts have been better when he has just been posting what he's been observing, instead of prognosticating (:

im4bflo
12-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Bills Squish Fish... My game thoughts

:biggrin: :punk: :beer: :dance2: :jig: :rockout: :xtreme: :cheers: :jump: :gobills:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Not what you would have said at the beginning of the season when he could have been pegged as Wys's twin sister.

I agree his recent posts have been better when he has just been posting what he's been observing, instead of prognosticating (:

Bids, EVERYONE is prognosticating at the begining of the season! Pats observations are his personal views, not fact, so he is just making commentary.. and I have felt his commentaries lately have been well thought out and a good read.

DraftBoy
12-09-2007, 09:04 PM
He gets 4 td passes and he is off?? You guys need to get your trolling more organized.

If a Rookie QB throws 4 td's and you win by 21, you have to give credit to him. F- anything else and what he might have missed, what did you expect, 7 TD's because he might have?? Give me a break.

When you realize that stats mean only a portion of how a player is actually performing then you will understand where posters like YR are coming from.

Mitchy moo
12-09-2007, 09:21 PM
When you realize that stats mean only a portion of how a player is actually performing then you will understand where posters like YR are coming from.

We won by 21, it's all good.

DraftBoy
12-09-2007, 09:25 PM
We won by 21, it's all good.

Well if thats all you see then thats fine, but some people expect us to win beyond just beyond a bad Phins team, god forbid I know

Mitchy moo
12-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Well if thats all you see then thats fine, but some people expect us to win beyond just beyond a bad Phins team, god forbid I know

Your not wrong, I just am saying that we did good today and I will review the game more during the week. I seen a few things today that I didn't like but in all honesty we had a good game and our RB's both got in the game and did well. We need to have more ball control and get points on the board.

TigerJ
12-09-2007, 09:31 PM
I agree with most everything you said, Pat. I did notice, however that one of Gado's TD was on a wiffed tackle by DiGiorgio. Ellison is not playing very well to be sure. I think when Poz comes back, he's going to be in the middle where he is a little more stout than DiGiorgio. DiGiorgio definitely has a shot at remaining a starter by moving outside to Ellison's spot, though DiGiorgio is far from perfect.

I do think the offense is starting to gel nicely. As you observed, the line had a nice all around game. Fairchild is opening up the playbook more. I think that has a direct effect on the production of the RBs BTW. By proving he can be dangerous on downfield passes, I think Edwards is starting to move the DBs and LBs back a bit, and that is allowing the offensive line to dominate when facing only defensive linemen.

I think the passes to Evans will help to raise Evans' mood and get on the Edwards bandwagon.

There is still plenty of room to get better, but the Bills are heading in the right direction.

YardRat
12-09-2007, 09:41 PM

Stats aside, Trent is still a rookie, a work in progress, and by no means a finished, polished product. Just because I see something that I think he needs to get better at doesn't mean I'm not impressed with his overall performance or unhappy with the win.

He's supposed to make errors, be inexperienced, and possess 'glitches' in his game that needs to be improved through practice and play. Why is it a problem to critique him in that manner?

LABillsFan
12-09-2007, 11:20 PM

I don't think it was meant as bad as it may seem. Trent had a great game in a situation he hasn't before, the red zone. Prior games his touch passes have been right on. I think he may have gotten caught up in the moment and was putting a little more zip on some of those shorter passes than he had to. The balance will get there, right now he's feeling his way.

Mudflap1
12-09-2007, 11:52 PM
I agree with all the positive thoughts... but it IS only Miami. They are 0-13 for a reason...

Oaf
12-10-2007, 12:25 AM
* We are going to end up with one of the best RB tandems in the league. Marshawn Lynch really is a beast, and Freddie Jackson is really good.. It was awesome to see them each get 100 today, it was deserved.

* Robert Royal really is a tight end in the offense? wow!

- I still don't understand how Royal almost dropped his 2nd TD. One of the prettiest passes I've ever seen that he could have been cut for had he of dropped it. Just goes to show you he just doesn't have the head to be a reliable target.

- I left when Jackson had 92 yards with 2:00 to go. How did he pick up the rest?

- Parrish sucked in the recieving game today with several drops

LABillsFan
12-10-2007, 12:30 AM
- I still don't understand how Royal almost dropped his 2nd TD. One of the prettiest passes I've ever seen that he could have been cut for had he of dropped it. Just goes to show you he just doesn't have the head to be a reliable target.

- I left when Jackson had 92 yards with 2:00 to go. How did he pick up the rest?

- Parrish sucked in the recieving game today with several drops

I can see why you would say that about Royal. Lets see what he does next week. If he can catch 3-5 passes next week, even w/o scoring a TD (of course if he drops one whlie he is wide open in the endzone I'm retracting this statement) he'll be on a small role, it may pay to keep going to him and build his confidence. How many times do you see a RB fumble and then the next possession he gets the ball right away. He took the blame after the Skins game so I'm sure he wanted to make up for it against Miami.

G. Host
12-10-2007, 12:32 AM
I left when Jackson had 92 yards with 2:00 to go. How did he pick up the rest?
They just kept running when they the Dolphins knew we would be running it until Jackson broke one and Taylor had a fit. Bills could have gone for the score but were satisfied with running out the clock.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?game_id=29388&displayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2007&week=REG14

<table class="borderCollapse"><tbody><tr class="rowAlt"><td class="downInfo"> 1-10-BUF 26 </td> <td class="downText"> (1:54) 22-F.Jackson up the middle to BUF 28 for 2 yards (31-L.Schulters). </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" class="downTextfull"> Timeout #2 by MIA at 01:45. </td></tr> <tr class="rowAlt"><td class="downInfo"> 2-8-BUF 28 </td> <td class="downText"> (1:45) 22-F.Jackson up the middle to BUF 32 for 4 yards (75-D.Robinson, 60-S.Fifita). </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" class="downTextfull"> Timeout #3 by MIA at 01:38. </td></tr> <tr class="rowAlt"><td class="downInfo"> 3-4-BUF 32 </td> <td class="downText"> (1:38) 22-F.Jackson up the middle to BUF 37 for 5 yards (60-S.Fifita). PENALTY on MIA-99-J.Taylor, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced at BUF 37. </td> </tr> <tr><td class="downInfo"> 1-10-MIA 48 </td> <td class="downText"> (1:29) 22-F.Jackson right guard to MIA 35 for 13 yards (29-T.Daniels).</td></tr></tbody></table>

colin
12-10-2007, 07:40 AM
yeah, our lines are both really getting it done.

we suck up the gut on D with ellison, digiorgio and lehnard, but the d line has been playing well too.

on the o side our guys played very well and just wore them out late. they could have tacked on 60 more yards if they felt like it. just dominating.

trent was off on a few passes, but as pointed out here parrish dropped 2 (although it was clear he was thinking upfield run before catch, would have prolly broken at least one) and i think another 1 got dropped too. the weather might have been throwing off out timing a bit.

alohabillsfan
12-10-2007, 08:28 AM
My thoughts,

1) The offensive line did a owesome job, running and pass protection.\

2) Trent Edwards is progressing rapidly, we will be a better football team next year!

3) Hargrove played a great game, Kyle Williams and Tripplet as well!

4) Parrish killed 2 drives with drops, must catch those next week.

5) Penalties- to many, again we must get them reduced!

billsburgh
12-10-2007, 08:35 AM

he completed less than 50% of his passes. so yeah, he was off.