PDA

View Full Version : 1st pressure game for Edwards

ghz in pittsburgh
12-10-2007, 09:57 AM
I hate to think about it but here it is: the rookie Edwards will have to go through a pressure game next week, against a winning team, on the road. Like it or not, the QB is the focal point.

I remember Big Ben's first pressure game - the Jets playoff game in his rookie season. The Steelers were 15-1 in the regular season so he didn't really have a must-win game there (I don't mean to diminish his accomplishment that year, including all those games he brought them back in the 4th quarter). He threw a couple of bad picks and nearly handed the game to the Jets not once but twice.

To the Bills, I think it will be the opposite. If the Bills made playoff this year, I think everyone would consider that playoff game a bonus and they may have a lot less pressure to make it a must-win situation. But to make the playoff, they have to go through the pressure games - none bigger than the one next week. It is widely considered winnable, and it falls squarely on their performance, again none bigger than Edwards' performance.

Part of me wishes that he does not have to take on taht kind of pressure so early in his career (what? A total of 7 starts of his career in NFL in his 1st year?), but part of me wants to see if indeed he has that little "Brady" in him that he still performs about as good as he normally does.

Mitchy moo
12-10-2007, 10:00 AM
I hate to think about it but here it is: the rookie Edwards will have to go through a pressure game next week, against a winning team, on the road. Like it or not, the QB is the focal point.

I remember Big Ben's first pressure game - the Jets playoff game in his rookie season. The Steelers were 15-1 in the regular season so he didn't really have a must-win game there (I don't mean to diminish his accomplishment that year, including all those games he brought them back in the 4th quarter). He threw a couple of bad picks and nearly handed the game to the Jets not once but twice.

To the Bills, I think it will be the opposite. If the Bills made playoff this year, I think everyone would consider that playoff game a bonus and they may have a lot less pressure to make it a must-win situation. But to make the playoff, they have to go through the pressure games - none bigger than the one next week. It is widely considered winnable, and it falls squarely on their performance, again none bigger than Edwards' performance.

Part of me wishes that he does not have to take on taht kind of pressure so early in his career (what? A total of 7 starts of his career in NFL in his 1st year?), but part of me wants to see if indeed he has that little "Brady" in him that he still performs about as good as he normally does.

If we want to have any success in the playoffs, Trent needs to know how to win anywhere. Winning at home is great but winning on the road against good teams makes champions. We all want Buffalo to be champions and to win it all, (most of us).

The King
12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I think the Redskins game had plenty of pressure, after JPs depature from the starting lineup a lot of people had loyalties... and on top of that the other teams top player just died.

A lot of people were rooting against him.

mybills
12-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Trent will need some time in the pocket against them, so it's important that the line gives it to him. That's what's gonna make him look good or bad. Luckily he has a quick release, but the line hasn't been consistent enough to trust.

Mitchy moo
12-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Trent will need some time in the pocket against them, so it's important that the line gives it to him. That's what's gonna make him look good or bad. Luckily he has a quick release, but the line hasn't been consistent enough to trust.

0 sacks in two games in a row and 2 100 yard rushers isn't consistent??
If your talking about the whole season, yeah your right but with Trent in there it's been pretty much hands off (except the Jets game).

The King
12-10-2007, 10:20 AM
We are facing a 3-4 with some talent at the OLB spots Jackson and Marshawn need to pick up the outside guys with consistency... otherwise Trent will get railed.

Philagape
12-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Leading a game-winning drive in less than a minute on the road is plenty of pressure.

And the pass protection has been excellent.

mybills
12-10-2007, 10:24 AM
with Trent in there it's been pretty much hands off (except the Jets game).
consistency doesn't know that word. :;

ghz in pittsburgh
12-10-2007, 10:26 AM
I think the Redskins game had plenty of pressure, after JPs depature from the starting lineup a lot of people had loyalties... and on top of that the other teams top player just died.

A lot of people were rooting against him.

I think that's a different kind of pressure. Losman just lost his job in his previous game. It's more of a "have-a-good-game", "keep-your-job" kind of game. There was playoff implications but not that much.

Next week is all about playoff and now. Win and the Bills have probably the best chance for playoff in recent memory. Lose and all hopes are gone - pretty much like a playoff game.

Mitchy moo
12-10-2007, 10:27 AM
consistency doesn't know that word. :;

Good point, how about we say they O-line has consistently been getting better. That way they get credit with room for previous mishaps.

mybills
12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
They are getting better. I just said that in another thread. I'm just not convinced that they're completely there yet. This will be as big a test on them as it is on TE.

Mitchy moo
12-10-2007, 10:32 AM
They are getting better. I just said that in another thread. I'm just not convinced that they're completely there yet. This will be as big a test on them as it is on TE.

Agreed!!!!!!

raphael120
12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Kn this game Im worried more about our defense getting blown out of the water and taking the game way out of Edwards hands.

If we can do what we did to Carson Palmer to Anderson< i think we'll be good to go.

zone
12-10-2007, 10:43 AM

Please don’t compare Trent to Brady unless he starts to whine like a little baby and cheat and generally act like a scumbag crybaby loser.