PDA

View Full Version : Trent's arm strength

billser
12-10-2007, 03:46 PM
On espn primetime, during bills highlights, they were completely hyping up trents arm, especially on that deep throw, saying he has a HUGE arm.....its amazing that people on here were comparing him to Pennington

BidsJr
12-10-2007, 03:47 PM
On espn primetime, during bills highlights, they were completely hyping up trents arm, especially on that deep throw, saying he has a HUGE arm.....its amazing that people on here were comparing him to Pennington

Don't mind them, they were still trying to get in the sack with JP.

The Answer
12-10-2007, 03:50 PM

No matter what the remaining Losman faithful want to believe - Edwards has just as good, if not better an arm, than Losman does.

It's takes a cannon to fire a 70 yard TD pass downfield in Buffalo during a december home game.

~The Answer

YardRat
12-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Trent's arm is just fine, and he got to prove it to any nay-sayers on Sunday. End of subject.

billser
12-10-2007, 03:53 PM
No matter what the remaining Losman faithful want to believe - Edwards has just as good, if not better an arm, than Losman does.

It's takes a cannon to fire a 70 yard TD pass downfield in Buffalo during a december home game.

~The Answer

While i dunno if its as strong as Losmans (Losman has a cannon), i think they have different releases, and Trent gets more zip under his ball....in any case, im loving the fact that he might just have the whole package

Jaybird
12-10-2007, 04:16 PM
it's because most people that post dont know much about football!!!!!!!!!!!

Philagape
12-10-2007, 04:19 PM
The issue is dead. Passed on. Deceased. No more. Expired. Ceased to be. Gone and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-issue.

Pinkerton Security
12-10-2007, 04:48 PM

~The Answer

dude NO WAY trents arm is STRONGER than JP's. It may be comparable though, especially because the brain that is attached to it is much, much better than the one attached to JP's.

Mahdi
12-10-2007, 04:54 PM
I was one of the people questioning Trent's arm strength but I dont see why that's a big deal. I'm pretty sure most ppl here can agree that he hadn't shown it all year till yesterday. Also, most of those who did question his arm strength including myself, werent saying that he doesnt have it... just that he has to prove that he has it before we can all say that he has all the tools. Either way... it was great to see because now we can focus on building the offense around him. Give him a #2 WR and a threat at TE and we can have a sick offense.

Inetpub
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
dude NO WAY trents arm is STRONGER than JP's. It may be comparable though, especially because the brain that is attached to it is much, much better than the one attached to JP's.

oh man, thats an AWESOME new quote!

justasportsfan
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
I was one of the people questioning Trent's arm strength but I dont see why that's a big deal. I'm pretty sure most ppl here can agree that he hadn't shown it all year till yesterday. Also, most of those who did question his arm strength including myself, werent saying that he doesnt have it... just that he has to prove that he has it before we can all say that he has all the tools. Either way... it was great to see because now we can focus on building the offense around him. Give him a #2 WR and a threat at TE and we can have a sick offense.
:up:

Confused
12-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Hoof in mouth. my bad.

Captain gameboy
12-10-2007, 05:04 PM

~The Answer

I think you just lost whatever small amount of credibility that you might cling to.

There is this thing called run after catch, and the weather had nothing to do with it.

The gameboy at last joins the rest of the site in thinking that the answer is anything but.

Michael82
12-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Excellent post! :bf1:

justasportsfan
12-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I think you just lost whatever small amount of credibility that you might cling to.

he lost it a long time ago with Holcomb.

shelby
12-10-2007, 05:18 PM
The issue is dead. Passed on. Deceased. No more. Expired. Ceased to be. Gone and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-issue.

Best post of the day. The horse is dead, so quit beating it!
:deadhorse

billser
12-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Fair. I was merely saying that people were comparing him to pennington, which was not fair. Also, there was nothing to prove that he didnt have a strong arm, all the combine talk said that he did. You can sit there and question anything from a person whos only had a handful of starts. I just say let the guy have a chance to prove otherwise before u start questioning. I think ALOT of that (not saying necessarily u) was just losman fans simply trying to talk down Trent.

DMBcrew36
12-10-2007, 05:30 PM
JP has a better arm, but Trent knows how to use his.

DynaPaul
12-10-2007, 07:17 PM
I don't think the JP lovers have any straws to hold on to anymore. It's all over.

TigerJ
12-10-2007, 11:41 PM

~The AnswerI think it was a 70 pass play that was about 40 yards through the air and 30 yards RAC. I take as pretty much true the scouting reports that said Trent has a good arm but not in the same class as Favre, Jamarcus Russel, and John Elway. I think Losman does have more sheer arm strength than Edwards, but Edwards has some skills that Losman doesn't. I think the Bills made the right choice in starting Edwards.

Devin
12-10-2007, 11:59 PM
~The Answer

Dont go getting crazy there jr.

Love or Hate Losman the guy has a freakishly strong arm. While I like Trent and agree hes the future physically he isnt on the same page as losman.

Crisis
12-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Losman has a cannon but he isn't very accurate with it consistently.

Devin
12-11-2007, 12:42 AM
Actually I thought he was pretty accurate with his bombs lol.

Its all other aspects of being a QB he seemed to have issue with.

LifetimeBillsFan
12-11-2007, 03:59 AM
The scouting reports on Edwards last year were that he has a strong arm and can make all of the throws expected of a NFL QB. The fact that he was considered the # 1 QB prospect in California coming out of HS (which is one of the states noted for producing a lot of good QB prospects) should also indicate that he has a pretty good arm--a guy with a noodle arm wouldn't be rated that highly.

While Edwards has a strong arm, Losman has a cannon for an arm. Losman can throw the ball 50 yards into a 25 mph wind and overthrow his receiver, as he did against the Jets last season at home--which is not something that even some of the biggest armed QBs in NFL history could do. Unfortunately for Losman, his poise, his ability to feel the pass rush and his ability to read defenses and make quick decisions is not nearly as good as the strength of his arm. In all of these areas, Edwards appears to have much greater natural talent.

As important as arm strength is, it is far less important, in terms of determining whether a QB will be successful in the NFL, than having those qualities that Edwards seems to have an advantage over Losman in. Jeff George had perhaps the strongest arm of any QB in the NFL in recent years and Sonny Jurgenson could throw the ball 40 yards downfield behind his back, while Joe Montana had what scouts called a "marginal" arm when he came out of college and Bart Starr had a below average arm even for his era. Yet, Montana and Starr were two of the winningest QBs in NFL history, while Jurgenson never played on a winner and George's career was a joke.

As far as Losman being accurate on his long throws is concerned, a couple of years ago, with regard to Brett Favre, John Madden said, during a Green Bay game where Favre was struggling at the outset, that it is not unusual for QBs with very strong, but inconsistent, arms to be able to throw the long ball more accurately than they can throw the short-to-medium pass. Madden, who coached such a QB in Daryle Lamonica, suggested that, when such a QB is struggling with his accuracy in the short-to-medium game early on in a game, it can be a good idea to let him throw a deep ball (or two) because that sometimes can help him become more accurate with his shorter throws. That's something that might have helped Losman, but I suspect that his problems may go beyond just the issue of inaccuracy.

Personally, I like JP and I wish that he could have developed more as a QB and been successful as the Bills QB--because that would have been a big help for the Bills. But, after seeing Edwards play a couple of times, I just think that Edwards already gives the Bills a better chance to win games and has a better chance of improving more and at a faster rate than Losman. And, while it is important for a Bills QB to have a strong arm, I just don't think that the difference in Edwards' arm strength is enough to prevent him from being able to make any of the throws that he will need to make to be successful as the Bills QB.

Finally, from some of the comments that had been made by Evans, Reed and some of the other players, I don't think that it was the coaches or play-calling that was keeping Edwards from throwing the ball deep early on--because they did say that there were opportunities there for him to do so. I think that the reason that he didn't throw the ball deep was that he was reluctant to do so because, for him, the deep throw is a riskier throw, with a greater chance of being picked off, than the short-to-medium throw and, with the coaches emphasizing the need to protect the ball and not turn it over (something that they had to do with Losman--who was the # 1 QB through the OTAs and into the early season), Edwards did not want to take that risk when he felt that he could make a less risky completion by checking down. However, I think that Edwards now understands that he has to throw the deep ball when it is called, at least occasionally, to stretch the field for his running game and that there are times, as he pointed out in talking about his pass to Evans after the Miami game, when it is necessary for him to try to make a play down the field. As a result, I think that, as Edwards becomes more comfortable in the starting QB job and learns more, he will start to throw the deep ball more often. I don't think he will look to throw deep as often as Losman--simply because that is not really his strength, but I do think that we will see him throw deep more often and with more confidence--especially when the team needs for him to do so--as he goes forward.

John Doe
12-11-2007, 05:26 AM
Great post as usual LTBF.

One correction though...

Jurgenson did play for winning teams during his years with George Allen's Redskins. He actually led the league in passing at age 40. What an arm!

He did split time with Billy Kilmer a lot due to injuries though - Kilmer got the start in the superbowl against the Dolphins.

He was on the roster when the Eagles won the NFL championship in 1961 and I think he started the next year (10-4).