PDA

View Full Version : No Matter What Happens the last three weeks

patmoran2006
12-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I think you have to be a VERY negative person in nature to say the Bills haven't at least met your expectations.

Anyone who knows me is aware I can be as critical of this organization as anybody. While I'm sure more than a fair share of people think I'm an ******* here, I'm also one of the first to admit I'm wrong about something, unlike soem others who go on and on, and search long and hard for a negative spin on everything good this team f'n does.

****, I predicted we were going to go 4-12 this season with all the injuries and inexperience. I know Im' not the only one who had us pegged for 4-6 wins this year either.

Bottom line: regardless of how many "bad" teams we beat; we beat them. A team that's growing is SUPPOSED to do that. At the end of the day, with all our shortcomings, with a little more experience we could easily be 9-4 right now. Maybe next year, as we're learning HOW to win this season; we hold on and win those games.

Look at the six games we lost. Two of them were to NE, maybe the greatest team ever. We lost to Dallas, a very strong SB contender in the last second. We also lost to Pittsburgh, one of the stronger teams in the league. Jacksonville is 9-4 for a reason. Only Denver has had a pretty ****ty year and even they are 6-7. I can't think of a game all year long we went into as the prohibitive favorite, laid an egg and lost.

NO matter what happens, this what we learned this year...

* Dick Jauron is a VERY respected coach around this league. I hated him, and I'm still not a big fan, but dont deny the job he's done this year. The injuries, QB shuffle, Everett. After an 0-3 start and all the injuries, this could have EASILY been a 2-14 season.. Jauron somehow kept them focused and confident, and they've won 6 of their last 8 to get into a playoff race. That's great leadership, I don't care what anybody says.

* We have a franchise QB in the making in Trent Edwards. He's smart, he's poised, he has a good arm. Overall, especially for a rookie, he's a good decision maker. He'll only get better with experience. Looks like we're going to have stability at the QB position and that's critical. Sorry JP, you'll be backing someone else up next year.

* Marshawn Lynch is a FRANCHISE RB, and Fred Jackson has emerged as a great second back. This will surely be one of the more lethal combos in the NFL for years to come.

* I DESPISED his signing, but Langston Walker has been worth every single penny of his contract. He has played very well and makes the OL one less position to worry about.

* Angelo Crowell has become one of the better LB's in football.

* Lee Evans can still make big plays and take over games offensively. He's also proven he's not a 16-game monster WR, and needs more help.

* The return game with McGee and Parrish is still very dangerous.

* Poz looked great before getting hurt and DiGiorgio has played admirably in his absence. He either starts next year or at the least, we have a lot better depth at LB because of him.

Now don't get me wrong, it's all not rosey. We still have some glaring weaknesses and we're NOT a true Super Bowl contender. But for the first time in at least a few years, I think you have to be naturally biased, or literally get off on being Critical of the Bills to not be optimistic about the immediate and near future of this club. Gone are the high-priced big mouths and in are young, talented guys that undeniably are playing for each other. Gone is the mental headcase (during games) at QB and in is some stability. Gone is the "when I feel like it" RB in McGahee and in is a real "beast."

By comparison, all our key "vets" that left during the offseason in pursuit of playing playoff games for a winning team. ALL Of them are on losing teams, and I do mean all of them.
Nate Clements (SF)- 3-10
London Fletcher (Wash) 6-7 (who I still respect a hell of a lot)
Takeo Spikes (Phil) 5-8 (totally irrelevent with them)
Willis McGahee (Balt) 4-9 (ha ha ha, that's my favorite)

Anyway. THere is a lot to be happy about. And this post won't be valid next year, because they will be EXPECTED to make the playoffs.

G Wolly
12-10-2007, 05:58 PM
All I read was the first sentence, but amen brother

Ed
12-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Great post, as usual.

I would also add that with a lot of our young guys being forced to play more extensive roles due to injuries, and the fact that we won't lose anyone worth keeping to free agency, we should have pretty good depth heading into next season.

Also, with the exception of the qb change, which appears to be an improvement, we should have a lot more stability heading into next season due to not having to worry about losing any key veterans and our coaching staff having another year under their belts.

Philagape
12-10-2007, 06:21 PM
I gotta eat crow on the Walker signing ...... if he cuts down the penalties.

The Jokeman
12-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Save me some and we can have humble pie for dessert.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-10-2007, 06:50 PM
I predicted 3-13, of course, that assumed Losman at QB for the entire year. I thought the offensive line was starting to jell last year and then when they made those high priced FA acquisitions from the notoriously overrated Washington I cringed. Well, Walker and even Dockery have proved me wrong, and I am remarkably surprised at how well Edwards, Jackson and Lynch have performed this season. Royal has met my expectations.

John DiGiorgio-- I thought he sucked before the season, but with Posluszny I saw a chance to make an improvement over Fletcher. Well, they did, esp. against the run. McCargo and Williams have stepped up and I really like Hargrove. Ellison is good depth but not much more. The big disappointment has been the secondary, but it's hard to blame them when there's been so many injuries. Youboty seems to be another victim of the "third round draft trap."

Special teams-- they're doing what they do. Moorman is landing good punts and Lindell is actually kicking the important field goals.

If they get at least one more win, they've improved two years straight. We have not seen that kind of performance since before Donahoe, when this team and this team was still making the playoffs. That is a good sign.

M
12-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Wow. PM being positive??? The Bills Organization must be doing something right.

John Doe
12-10-2007, 07:33 PM

So far:

3 penalties for 30 yards.

2.25 sacks allowed for 17.75 yards.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=5939&team=2

It's hard to play too much better than that from a purely statistical point of view.

G. Host
12-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Pat you have exceeded my expectations this year. I labelled you with Skooby and The Wrong Answer.

<table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="70%"><tbody><tr><td class="tcat">vBulletin Message</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="panelsurround" align="center">
<!-- main error message -->
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to patmoran2006 again.
<!-- / main error message -->

<!-- <input type="submit" class="button" value="Go Back" accesskey="s" onclick="history.back(1); return false" />
--> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Some are willing to eat crow but few try to make it a tasty dish doing it.

The Jokeman
12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
So far:

3 penalties for 30 yards.

2.25 sacks allowed for 17.75 yards.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=5939&team=2

It's hard to play too much better than that from a purely statistical point of view.
Thank you for posting this link! I've been looking everywhere for a site that posts individual O-lineman's stats.