PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Bills Cap room

Devin
12-10-2007, 08:08 PM
As of now Buffalo is a staggering 32.08 million under the cap for 2008. The 4th highest in the league.

3 playoff teams, well potential playoff teams, are ahead of us. Ten, San Diego and Jacksonville.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/09/week14/4.html

The Skins are 20 mil over :snicker:

Ed
12-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Not to mention we have 49 players under contract, which I would say actually puts us in a better position then the top 3 teams.

I don't know who the top FA's will be this offseason, but we better be first in line when pursuing a couple of them. We really have no excuse to not make at least one big splash.

The Jokeman
12-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Not to mention we have 49 players under contract, which I would say actually puts us in a better position then the top 3 teams.

I don't know who the top FA's will be this offseason, but we better be first in line when pursuing a couple of them. We really have no excuse to not make at least one big splash.
We do have one reason, called cash to cap. As we were some $10 million under this year's cap and might be so next year as well. As don't see us ever signing an elite player to a free agent contract unless we draft him and he elects to stay here.

G. Host
12-10-2007, 08:32 PM
$nyder will have the rules changed.

clumping platelets
12-10-2007, 09:16 PM
:popcorn:

djjimkelly
12-10-2007, 10:01 PM
i think i got cursed on the weekend for being a know it all for stating we had 30 mil in space

SO BOOOYAH :couch:

add in fact we have that many players under contract for 2008 we have the most space in the league for major additions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G. Host
12-10-2007, 10:28 PM
i think i got cursed on the weekend for being a know it all for stating we had 30 mil in space

How do you keep track of why you get cursed? There so many reasons to do so.

OpIv37
12-10-2007, 10:29 PM
The Skins are 20 mil over :snicker:

The Skins are 20 mill over every year, yet they never cut anyone except Lavar Arrington and they STILL manage to sign FA's somehow.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-10-2007, 10:32 PM
The Skins are 20 mill over every year, yet they never cut anyone except Lavar Arrington and they STILL manage to sign FA's somehow.

Makes you wonder how the NFL lets them get away with it.

Ebenezer
12-10-2007, 11:03 PM
how many years have clump and I tried to educate you about the cap but you still do not learn...:shakeno:

historypete
12-10-2007, 11:19 PM
I have a feeling that if we make the playoffs, or lose out by a game then Wilson will open the bank account and toss cash to cap out the window. I think this is unlikey, but it is possible considering his age, the youth of this team, and their charge this year. I think we would go after younger FA's like a Briggs and Crayton or Bryant Johnson, along with Cooley (that would be wonderful) if he becomes available. I don't think they would spend on older FAs, but guys who have only been in the league 5 or 6 years and are still in their early 20s.

clumping platelets
12-11-2007, 06:17 AM
Redskins are $20 million because of large ROSTER bonuses that can be easily converted to SIGNING bonuses for purpose of amortization.

Redskins cap situation is not bad

NorthCarBills
12-11-2007, 06:43 AM
Aside from the cap room (which is great news), I think one of the biggest things we have going for us heading into the offseason is this:

We can finally feel confident that FAs will view our team as one that's on the rise and in contention. Sure money is usually the biggest draw, but now FAs who really care about winning may see Buffalo in a different light than before. And if that's the difference maker between us and another team, GREAT!

Johnny Bugmenot
12-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Redskins are $20 million because of large ROSTER bonuses that can be easily converted to SIGNING bonuses for purpose of amortization.

Redskins cap situation is not bad

The point is, when is this manipulation going to stop? The league and its owners have time and again supported and furthered a system that has been abused to oblivion. You see, in baseball the owners (except Steinbrenner) will do anything to limit spending. In football, it's all about how much you can get away with.

A cap is a cap.

Gunzlingr
12-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark are free agents this year. From what I was reading, the colts are more apt to keep Bob Sanders and let Clark hit the market.

TigerJ
12-11-2007, 08:57 AM

Redskins cap situation is not badIt seems like they are in that position every year. You would think it would catch up to them eventually.

bigbub2352
12-11-2007, 10:24 AM
well next year we have no excuse at all to not extend Lee Evans, sign our primary FAs maybe cut a few guyz, and get some quality FAs in here, i will say it again i want Carlos Dansby from ARZ, he is my wishlist, but vet at WR would be nice as well as a TE and a C, maybe a vet CB, but we should be in real good shape to bring in players next year, it is time to make a serious run

Don't Panic
12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Cash to cap will only limit us so much... even if we end up $15 million under the actual cap, we still have $17 million to spend... at least according to the SI figure. $17 million can definitely mean a couple of impact players.

Ed
12-11-2007, 12:26 PM
We do have one reason, called cash to cap. As we were some $10 million under this year's cap and might be so next year as well. As don't see us ever signing an elite player to a free agent contract unless we draft him and he elects to stay here.
Yeah, I was speaking more in theory. I don't consider cash to cap an excuse not to be aggressive and make a big splash. It's just a self imposed spending limit.

With that being said, spending the huge bucks doesn't guarantee anything and isn't necessarily smart.

I wouldn't say we'll never sign an elite player either. I'd say making Dockery one of the highest paid guards in league history and the highest paid Bill ever says otherwise. If there's someone they really like and really believe in, I don't think they'd be affraid to make a move.

RockStar36
12-11-2007, 12:29 PM
If, and this is a big if, the Colts let Clark hit the open market I would absolutely love to have him in Buffalo. Having a TE of his caliber for Edwards would be huge.

Ed
12-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Is Clark really that good? I'm not saying he's bad, but is he worth spending big money on? With Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, how hard is it for Peyton Manning to make a TE look good? He just seems to get wide open way too easily sometimes.

Once again, I'm not saying he isn't talented, I just feel like a lot of players could have success in Indy.