X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

I bet FA will trump our draft in 2008

I know we have playoffs on our mind right now and god this weekend's game is going to be huge but I can't help but think ahead a bit to the future.

Most of us have convinced ourselves that OBD and Ralph don't give a hoot about making a splash in FA but I'm willing to bet that there is a reason for us having a good amount of cap space going into this off season. Biggest reason may be signing Lee long term but I guarentee that we will have a strong showing in some off season acquisitions to fill some major positions on both sides of the ball. We need to land a tall, good route running, sure handed receiver to take some heat off of Lee and provide a nice redzone target and we need to land a strong veteran back up behind Edwards. On defense a solid weakside linebacker that can steal Ellison's starting position or provide that fourth strong DT in our four man rotation. An ideal situation would be to find a better starting DT than Triplett, but it would be tough to keep Triplett if we did. He would have to take a pay cut and I don't see that happening.

FA
    Offense-WR/QB (backup)
    Defense-LB/DT

Draft
    Offense-WR/TE/OL
    Defense-DT/LB/CB

I'd like to see OBD go after the same position players in the draft as we would get in FA to create more depth and give the new players time to be groomed. As good as we should be next year, we NEED to get some immediate FA players in hear to make our team as good as they can be from week one. Relying on draft picks to compete in their first year isn't always likely.

Beat the Brownies!
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?
  • Lexwhat
    • Feb 2005

Re: I bet FA will trump our draft in 2008

IMO, I don't think it's wise to go after a WR in FA and pay him big money. Maybe I might consider Bryant Johnson (Cardinals).

Off the top of my head -- only very few WRs in recent past have made big impacts when they switched teams (Moss, TO, Welker, Plaxico Burress come to mind)...

If you look at the top WRs in the league, they are all playing for the same team that drafted them.

Depending on who was available, I wouldnt mind using our 1st rounder on a Tight End or a WR.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Lance Briggs will be a Bill in 2008. I've believed that since last year.

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jpdex12
        I know we have playoffs on our mind right now and god this weekend's game is going to be huge but I can't help but think ahead a bit to the future.

FA
        Offense-WR/QB (backup)
        Defense-LB/DT

Draft
        Offense-WR/TE/OL
        Defense-DT/LB/CB
        Going by your short list here's who I like doing a quick look at free agent lists.

WRS
        1. Ernest Wilford
        2. Jerry Porter
        3. DJ Hackett
        4. Bryant Johnson
        5. Justin Gage

Not listed but think available
        6. Ruvell Martin

QBs
        1. Ryan Fitzpatrick -RFA
        2. Marc Brunell

DTS
        1. Brian Young
        2. Damione Lewis
        3. Randy Starks

LBS
        1. Lance Briggs
        2. Demorrio Williams

Lists available at

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

BLASPHEMY!!!!
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• jpdex12
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Lexwhat
            IMO, I don't think it's wise to go after a WR in FA and pay him big money. Maybe I might consider Bryant Johnson (Cardinals).

Off the top of my head -- only very few WRs in recent past have made big impacts when they switched teams (Moss, TO, Welker, Plaxico Burress come to mind)...

If you look at the top WRs in the league, they are all playing for the same team that drafted them.

Depending on who was available, I wouldnt mind using our 1st rounder on a Tight End or a WR.
            i WOULDN'T BE OPPOSED TO GRABBING A wr IN THE FIRST EITHER like Doucet or Kelly but we have to know that if we do and we rely on that WR to start for us that we won't get as much production out of him as we would an established veteran. Look at Calvin Johnson...maybe the best WR prospect to hit the draft and he has had a mediocre at best year. We can't afford that next year. We need a good #2! Bryant Johnson would be great for us. He would cost some money but him or Wilford from the Jags would be ideal.

We need two more good veterans in FA this coming off season and a good draft like the past two years and we will be rolling!

I just don't see any TE worth taking in round one this year.

If we could land Haynesworth in the offseason along with Bryant Johnson, Josh McCown and Ben Utecht we could go after someone like Dan Connor or Ali Highsmith reasonably around the #17-20 draft position in round one and then someone like Robiskie in round two and have all of our need positions filled.

Comment

• jpdex12
              • Jan 2005

TheRedzone.com

The follwoing players worth looking at and will reasonably be there...

DT
              William Joseph
              Randy Starks
              Albert Haynesworth will be a FA but he will cost a penny to lure away from Tenn

WR
              Patrick Crayton (any different from Aiken?)
              Bernard Berrian(Should stay put)
              Bryant Johnson
              Jerry Porter (Lkely to resign)
              Ernest Wilford

QB
              Rex Grossman
              Josh McCown
              Ryan Fitzpatrick

LB
              Lance Briggs (gonna cost a dime)
              Karlos Dansby (likely Cards won't let him slip away)

TE
              Utecht

Draft
              Weak DT class. Dorsey and Ellis will be gone before we pick.

LB-Connor and Highsmith should be where we pick or within distance of us moving up a few spots to get one.

WR-KElly and Doucet will be near our pick in the first but I could see us waiting until round two or three for a WR.

Comment

• SpillerThrills
                • Oct 2005

I'd really like to see us pick up utecht but I doubt it.
                2008-2009 BZHL Champion!
                2008 Pro Football Pick 'em Champion!
                2008 Survival Football Co-Champion!
                2006-2007 3 Star Pick 'em Champion!

Comment

• Lexwhat
                  • Feb 2005

i WOULDN'T BE OPPOSED TO GRABBING A wr IN THE FIRST EITHER like Doucet or Kelly but we have to know that if we do and we rely on that WR to start for us that we won't get as much production out of him as we would an established veteran. Look at Calvin Johnson...maybe the best WR prospect to hit the draft and he has had a mediocre at best year. We can't afford that next year. We need a good #2! Bryant Johnson would be great for us. He would cost some money but him or Wilford from the Jags would be ideal.

We need two more good veterans in FA this coming off season and a good draft like the past two years and we will be rolling!

I just don't see any TE worth taking in round one this year.

If we could land Haynesworth in the offseason along with Bryant Johnson, Josh McCown and Ben Utecht we could go after someone like Dan Connor or Ali Highsmith reasonably around the #17-20 draft position in round one and then someone like Robiskie in round two and have all of our need positions filled.

Good post -- I don't necessarily disagree. We do need a 2nd WR -- somehow, someway.

I don't know much about College Football, so I'll just take your word for it that a Tight End might not be worth it in Round 1.

I am just having doubts as to how much a F.A. WR can contribute (based on recent history). Most teams will have salary cap space available this offseason, so what team would want to let a big possession receiver leave via free agency? They are hard to come by.

Wide Receivers who have been let go by their old teams don't usually produce on their new teams (except the names I mentioned in my 1st post).

Bryant Johnson may be good, and I think we should at least give him a look, but I'm guessing that some other team will really overpay for him. I don't know if I want to overpay for a #2 Wide Receiver. I would rather overpay for a proven Offensive-lineman or Defensive-lineman.

IMO, the only players worth throwing big money to would be Albert Haynesworth and Lance Briggs. I dont think the Titans would let Haynesworth leave though...

Good call on Josh McCown.

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

bryant johnson?.. the first round bust that has had a handfull of good games finally after all these years? that bryant johnson?
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• historypete
                      • Feb 2005

Here is the difference between Patrick Crayton and Sam Aiken:

2007 stat line:

Catch, Yards, Avg, Long, TD, Fum, Fum lost
                      Patrick Crayton3957014.659711

There are no stats for Aiken, and that is sad considering the lack of recieving talent we have. Aiken is a great special teamer, but I think Crayton is coming into his own as a solid #2 reciever. It does help to have TO, Witten and Romo though.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
                        bryant johnson?.. the first round bust that has had a handfull of good games finally after all these years? that bryant johnson?

You don't think he would be a good #2 for some team?

Comment

• Slim
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
                          That Bryant Johnson whose been buried behind Fitz and Boldin.

Comment

• Bmax
                            • Aug 2003

TheRedzone.com

The follwoing players worth looking at and will reasonably be there...

DT
                            William Joseph
                            Randy Starks
                            Albert Haynesworth will be a FA but he will cost a penny to lure away from Tenn

WR
                            Bernard Berrian(Should stay put)
                            Bryant Johnson
                            Jerry Porter (Lkely to resign)
                            Ernest Wilford

QB
                            Rex Grossman
                            Josh McCown
                            Ryan Fitzpatrick

LB
                            Lance Briggs (gonna cost a dime)
                            Karlos Dansby (likely Cards won't let him slip away)

TE
                            Utecht

Draft
                            Weak DT class. Dorsey and Ellis will be gone before we pick.

LB-Connor and Highsmith should be where we pick or within distance of us moving up a few spots to get one.

WR-KElly and Doucet will be near our pick in the first but I could see us waiting until round two or three for a WR.

QB Rex Grossman---LOL

Are u kidding me ....That will never happen.. Why would the bills bring in another erratic young QB.....

It will be a seasoned Vet who who will help the team and Trent... A guy who has started some games..

Think Doug Johnson who is not in the NFL this season or Jamie Martin who backs up Drew Brees....Back up qb is not a major need...We will find some one to back up Edwards...

LB in Rd 1- LOL Connor or Highsmith- No way.....The Bills need depth at OLB but they won't try to get it in RD 1 ....With Poz returning the Bills could use Digorio at WLB instead of Ellison......But i doubt it....

I can't understand why people accept our DE's the Bills desperatly need to upgrade their Pass Rush .. This year is a decent one at DE ...Gholston should leave early as will Harvey from Florida ,Jackson from LSU and Campbell from Miami....With the way we rotate our DE's we need four quality DE's ....

Hargrove is a FA he is not a lock to return. Plus another body will not hurt ...The best bet maybe for us to resign Hargrove and draft a sleeper type in rd 3 or 4....The bears found Anderson from alabama in rd 5 ....

Jason Jones Eastern Mich .. Jeremy Thompson Wake Forest .. Langford from Hampton are guys to watch as the all star games and combine approaches...

Dt's are not as weak as you think ..Ok no guy in rd one unless Ketwan Balmer from UNC drops ....Right now some scouts have in the top 15.. A big bruiser 6-5 -300... RD 2 offers Okam NT type-Texas...Bryant the big guy from Teaxas A&M. Moore from Maryland and Laws from Notre Dame.. guys to look out for in rd 2 and 3..

WR-If we wait till rd 2 or 3 we may just miss out ...Bowman from Okst ...is a No ...Busted for Pot at UNC....The only way i wait to RD 2 is if Sweed drops ....

Guys i like at WR in Rd one Kelly from Oklahoma.....Bennett from Vanderbilt....6-1-205....Hardy from Indiana could be a mid to late 1st a lot depends on his 40.. 6-6-220 17 tds.. 36 in career....Red zone night mare.... Mich st's Thomas in rd 2 is also a guy who is coming on big time....The problem --- all these guys are Juniors.....

At least two will come out... Bennett looks likely with his coach looking at the Duke job. He has dominated SEC defenses.. You can't ignore that fact....not tall as some but good size and will make the tough catch..... eric moulds type...

Don't even get me started on CB or TE'S ....I WILL SAVE THAT FOR LATER....

I'll take in this order

RD1-WR

RD-2-DT-NEED FOUR QUALITYDT'S FOR PROPER ROTATION..COULD BE FA IF IT IS TAKE CB IN (RD 2)
                            RD-3-CB
                            RD-3-DE
                            RD-4-TE-Young guy to replace Everett
                            RD 5-OLB

BMAX

Comment

• Lexwhat
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Bmax
                              RD1-WR

RD-2-DT-NEED FOUR QUALITYDT'S FOR PROPER ROTATION..COULD BE FA IF IT IS TAKE CB IN (RD 2)
                              RD-3-CB
                              RD-3-DE
                              RD-4-TE-Young guy to replace Everett
                              RD 5-OLB

BMAX

What about O-line? Our depth there is terrible (Duke Preston and Kirk Chambers). We are really lucky that our main starters have avoided injuries...

Comment

Working...
                              X