PDA

View Full Version : What would You Sign?

bigbub2352
12-11-2007, 10:38 AM
We all know the Bills are far from Perfect, so with the given cap room of being over 30 million under, we should finally get back to our winning ways,

So with this freedom and having all our current starters under contract for next year and finding Depth in players like Ellison, Digorgio, Youboty, Scott, Greer, Wilson, Wendling, Jermetrus Butler, Schouman, Jackson, Jenkins, etc

What do u think the Bills plan should be via draft and Fa?

Extending Evans should be priority 1

adding a LB, WR, TE, and DT should be essential

Depth at CB, QB, FB/Hback WR, Oline, and Dline

it is time to make a serious run and bring back our beloved Buffalo Bills to the national spotlight again!!!

justasportsfan
12-11-2007, 10:42 AM
tall wr. and a DT to start ahead of Kyle.

Dr. Lecter
12-11-2007, 10:44 AM
1A. #2 WR
1B. TE (Dallas Clark????)
3. CB
4. OLB
5. Veteran QB.

And, of course, extend Lee.

colin
12-11-2007, 10:59 AM
i'd sign chad johnson or dallas clarke (both in a perfect world)
lance briggs --- #1 right there.
draft
CB
DT
LB
WR
G
in no particular order.

if a good big body wr is out there i'd sign him too.

trading JP might get us the extra pick we need to get an extra first. should be a CB/DT/G there so we can solve 2 of those of the bat. LB and WR types can be gotten in 3rd and 4th IMO.

most important is to get a WR/TE and OLB (BRIGGS!!!) who can start and excell day one. after that we need a DB and then a guy on each line. our D line is pretty young and good, our LBs should be +2 solid guys w poz and briggs, we are getting Ko back at FS and just one more CB on top of that will power up our D. a DT/DE would be a nice thing too, but not as important as LB IMO.

day one CB, G and DT will improve us a bunch, along with briggs and johnson and we've got some serious talent.

justasportsfan
12-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I doubt they sign Briggs or anyone if they think Dig or Poz can make the trasition to OLB. Cheaper and will make Ralphy happier.

alohabillsfan
12-11-2007, 11:09 AM
IMO we are not going to splash and sign 3 top tier fa's, I say 2 tops and a mid market.

1) TE Dallas Clark if he hits the market grab him day 1!
2) WR Bryant Johnson, Arizona Cardinals

If we can squeeze 1 more maybe not top tier

3) AFCE Discount--- LB Vilma

Draft
1) CB Reggie Smith*, Oklahoma
2) DT Dre Moore, Maryland
3a) C Steve Justice, Wake Forest
3b) TE Tamme, Kentucky

Yes, I know thats a TE in FA and draft but, Trent uses them, lets give him weapons!

OpIv37
12-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Extending Evans is pointless until we get another WR opposite him. In an ideal world, I'd go WR/TE/C/LB/DT in that order, and we're going to have to come up with an experienced journeyman QB.

SquishDaFish
12-11-2007, 11:20 AM
I like Alohabillsfans post :clap:

ryjam282
12-11-2007, 11:33 AM
What makes you think these guys would even want to come here? I mean Dallas Clark, he has been on a team with the top 3 offense the past few years. Why would he want to come to a team that offensively is MUCH worse? I know money walks but, we would have to literally break the bank IMO. I would love to have him, don't get me wrong but I don't think he would be an option.

Ed
12-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Extending Evans is pointless until we get another WR opposite him. In an ideal world, I'd go WR/TE/C/LB/DT in that order, and we're going to have to come up with an experienced journeyman QB.
So it would be better to have no WR's then 1 good one? Extending Evans should be the priority over signing another WR first, otherwise we'll just end up in the same boat but probably worse.

alohabillsfan
12-11-2007, 11:42 AM
What makes you think these guys would even want to come here? I mean Dallas Clark, he has been on a team with the top 3 offense the past few years. Why would he want to come to a team that offensively is MUCH worse? I know money walks but, we would have to literally break the bank IMO. I would love to have him, don't get me wrong but I don't think he would be an option.

Exactly how many pro bowls has D. Clark been to? NONE
Maybe he would like to go to an offense where he could potentionally put up Pro Bowl numbers? And yes, money does talk!

Both he and Bob Sangers and 1 or 2 starting o-linemen are FA's at the end of the year, hopefully, Clark gets to test the waters.

OpIv37
12-11-2007, 11:43 AM
So it would be better to have no WR's then 1 good one? Extending Evans should be the priority over signing another WR first, otherwise we'll just end up in the same boat but probably worse.

well right now we have Evans and no one opposite him, and he's struggling. Committing to Evans without getting someone opposite him is pointless. We'll end up paying big bucks for the same production we have now (or worse). That's going to get us into cap trouble.

Successful teams aren't the ones that go cheap- they're the ones paying players who produce. There's no point in paying Evans until we have the tools he needs to produce.

bigbub2352
12-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Goin out and spending money on top teir FAs isnt bad when u r fillin needs, we could go after Briggs, Dansby at LB, ext Evans and draft a WR in the 1st round or second round depending on what is there, and dont forget we have 10 picks plus if we trade losman and compensary picks, u also have haynesworth and Clark to look at top teir, but i wouldnt mind them goin RFA and given up say a 3rd or 4th rounder for a prospect too like Utech or someone similiar, it is time we made a serious run at shorin up problems we had here for the last 7 years if u know what i mean,
I agree with most of the posts and u have to be aggressive to be outstanding ala NE

justasportsfan
12-11-2007, 12:04 PM
we won't need another TE if we sign a no. 2 wr. Shouman is still here . Grab a no. 2 wr and things will open up for our TE's.

patmoran2006
12-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Dallas Clark, Johnathan Vilma. and the draft. That's it.

Lock up who you can from your own team.

bigbub2352
12-11-2007, 12:17 PM
we won't need another TE if we sign a no. 2 wr. Shouman is still here . Grab a no. 2 wr and things will open up for our TE's.

i agree but i think schouman is gonna be most effective in the FB/Hback role out of the backfeild, if we go into next year with Royal at 2 and Gaines at 3 and get a true recieveing TE we will have an outstanding pass attack, that is alot of weapons on the feild at the same time, add to that via FA or Draft a real number 2 WR with size, and TE will have alot to throw too as well as Jackson and Lynch in the backfeild

mysticsoto
12-11-2007, 12:25 PM

$$$

We would have to break the bank? Why? TE's don't make that much to break the bank with!!!

This was his salary for 2007:

<table id="playerDetailGrid" border="0" bordercolor="White" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="638"><tbody><tr><td class="small-copy-sans" align="center" width="10%">Year</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="left">Team</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="right">Base Salary</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="right">Sign Bonus</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="right">Other Bonus</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="right">Total Salary</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="right">Cap Value</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="center" width="20%">Position</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table id="playerDetailGrid" border="0" bordercolor="White" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="638"><tbody><tr nowrap="nowrap" bgcolor="#ffdccb"><td class="front-lede-link" align="center" width="10%">2007</td><td class="front-lede-link" align="left" width="15%"> Colts (http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?year=2007&team=14) </td><td class="front-lede-link" align="right" width="15%"> $ 595,000 </td><td class="front-lede-link" align="right" width="15%"> $ 3,800,000 </td><td class="front-lede-link" align="right" width="15%"> $ 861,840 </td><td class="front-lede-link" align="right" width="15%"> $ 598,840 </td><td class="front-lede-link" align="right" width="15%"> $ 1,141,697 </td><td class="front-lede-link" align="center" width="20%">TE</td></tr></tbody></table>

That's potatoes for his production and he's definitely affordable for a team that is so much under the cap as we are. Sign him and a better #2 WR (Bernard Berrian or Bryant Johnson - assuming Patrick Crayton is resigned by Dallas) and Trent's weapons are automatically improved for '08!

bigbub2352
12-11-2007, 12:58 PM
With the current crop of WRs out there i really think that our best bt for a number 2 is coming from the draft, i like Porter and Johnson and berrian if the price is right but i wouldnt over pay for any of them, Berrian might be worth it cause he has had shady Qbs maybe same with Porter but he would not be a Marv guy, Wilford intrigues me alot, but he is inconsistent

mysticsoto
12-11-2007, 01:03 PM
With the current crop of WRs out there i really think that our best bt for a number 2 is coming from the draft, i like Porter and Johnson and berrian if the price is right but i wouldnt over pay for any of them, Berrian might be worth it cause he has had shady Qbs maybe same with Porter but he would not be a Marv guy, Wilford intrigues me alot, but he is inconsistent

I really think you need to do both. Sign a decent WR for #2 AND draft someone like Malcolm Kelly who is a tall prospect and very decent (read mid 1st rd) draft project. WRs take a while to develop (usually) and initially, Kelly could help us in the red zone until he fully develops with his routes and can enter the line up full time.

justasportsfan
12-11-2007, 01:17 PM
i agree but i think schouman is gonna be most effective in the FB/Hback role out of the backfeild, if we go into next year with Royal at 2 and Gaines at 3 and get a true recieveing TE we will have an outstanding pass attack, that is alot of weapons on the feild at the same time, add to that via FA or Draft a real number 2 WR with size, and TE will have alot to throw too as well as Jackson and Lynch in the backfeild
what I'm saying is that a WR would be more of a priority over a TE.

OpIv37
12-11-2007, 01:19 PM

I half agree- if we got another WR to open up the passing game, we might be able to get by with Royal and Schouman.

The exception would be Clarke. If he's available, we should pay the man. He lines up as a WR in Indy's set anyway and I think he'd be a huge asset.

mysticsoto
12-11-2007, 01:30 PM

There's no reason we can't do both, and with Trent being a check down type of QB, we need to provide him with some good options for short yardage also. That means good TEs and taller WRs. That way he has Evans for the long bomb, if he doesn't feel it's there, we have tall WRs & TEs that can fight for the ball in the mid field instead. And of course, we already have good pass catching RBs..

justasportsfan
12-11-2007, 01:33 PM
There's no reason we can't do both, .Ralph

bigbub2352
12-11-2007, 01:37 PM
There is no reason mystico i agree with u we need to miprove on some of the players we have starting now and keep them as number 2s such as TE, royal would be great as a 2 and Gaines would be great as a 3, same with Reed and Parrish as a 3 and 4, we need to make these moves, time to open check book again Ralph one last time

Devin
12-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Id throw everything we had at Albert Haynesworth. Id make him the highest paid DL in football.

bigbub2352
12-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Id throw everything we had at Albert Haynesworth. Id make him the highest paid DL in football.
I couldnt agree more with this either, gotta at least take a shot, he would change this D in a hurry against the run

mysticsoto
12-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Ralph

Why do you say that? We bought in both a highly paid, top LG and a highly paid RT last year - not to mention a blocking TE (who admitingly has only been average at best). We put out a fair amt of cash last year to get some key FAs. Considering we'll be in good cap condition again this year, there's no reason to believe we won't try to fill in the current holes we have at WR, TE and DT.

The only problem I see is that I'm not sure what FA DTs will be out there that might be worth anything for our scheme...

mysticsoto
12-11-2007, 02:26 PM

How much are you talking about here? Quantify that.

He's having a great year in Tennessee, and they are unlikely to let him go easily...

justasportsfan
12-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Why do you say that? We bought in both a highly paid, top LG and a highly paid RT last year - not to mention a blocking TE (who admitingly has only been average at best). We put out a fair amt of cash last year to get some key FAs. Considering we'll be in good cap condition again this year, there's no reason to believe we won't try to fill in the current holes we have at WR, TE and DT.

The only problem I see is that I'm not sure what FA DTs will be out there that might be worth anything for our scheme...

because of the players you mentioned , he's overbudget.

jamze132
12-11-2007, 02:58 PM
In my opinion, we need to be very aggressive in FA before the draft. We need to fill as many needs as possible, meaning established starters, not guys like Tripplett who we EXPECT to be good before they actually are. We need to go after the top WR, TE, DT, and LB in FA and hopefully we can get 1-2 of them.

We can't continue to go after "up-and-coming" players who may or may not pan out. We need some credibility in Buffalo and the only way to get that quickly is to get some established, productive veterans. In baseball, the best teams have a good mixture of youth and veterans. We have a very good collection of young players who are getting better and better. We just don't have the established stars to even it out.

We NEED to be aggressive in FA and get a great player or two. Not saying that Langston Walker was a bad move, but at 12:01, we need to be after some better players, especially at WR and TE.

Carry on...

TigerJ
12-11-2007, 03:14 PM
we won't need another TE if we sign a no. 2 wr. Shouman is still here . Grab a no. 2 wr and things will open up for our TE's.My suspicion is that Buffalo envisions Schouman primarily as an H-back type of player, a guy who is normally going to line up in the backfield and is going to do a lot of blocking for Lynch/Jackson. Yes, he'll catch some passes, maybe a lot of them, swinging out of the backfield, but that will mostly be in kind of a hot read/safety valve type of role

Jan Reimers
12-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm with many of you on a tall, rangy WR, a pass catching TE and a big DT.

But despite all of the money we've sunk into Schobel and Kelsay, I'd like a pass rushing DE before a CB, LB, etc.

OpIv37
12-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Haynesworth? The guy's a piece of ****.

I don't care how good he is- I don't want him anywhere near my team.

alohabillsfan
12-11-2007, 04:39 PM

2 things,
1) he ain't leaving Tenn (he will be franchised and they have the cap)
2) He may get paid and crap out plus injuries to many red flags!