X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LABillsFan
    • Aug 2002

So now that Fairchild is leaving

Will Perry get an interview in ATL? A lot of reports are keying on Singletary and he did interview for the HC job in ATL last time around, but Fewell will be up there on teams prospective HC lists.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: So now that Fairchild is leaving

Dont Forget Schotty is out there too.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• billsburgh
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by LABillsFan
      Fewell will be up there on teams prospective HC lists.
      based on what? he hasnt had a great deal of success as a D coordinator here in Buffalo

Comment

• LABillsFan
        • Aug 2002

Marty isn't going to take a co ordinating position in Buffalo. Besides, after one year, being back in coaching, other teams are going to go after him for their HC job. I think you need someone that can stick around for 2-3 years and have someone ready to step up and take over. I'm wondering who can step up in Fairchilds staff.

Comment

• LABillsFan
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by billsburgh
          based on what? he hasnt had a great deal of success as a D coordinator here in Buffalo
          Especially with all the injuries. But speculation can be made that he would have had a better year with his starters in place. I also think his progress moving up with get him interviews. I'm not saying he definatly would get a job, but he could interviews, ya never know.

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Will Perry get an interview in ATL? A lot of reports are keying on Singletary and he did interview for the HC job in ATL last time around, but Fewell will be up there on teams prospective HC lists.
            I dont think teams will be jumping on Fewell considering his unit is bottom 3 in the league. Maybe next year when he has more success.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Marty isn't going to take a co ordinating position in Buffalo. Besides, after one year, being back in coaching, other teams are going to go after him for their HC job. I think you need someone that can stick around for 2-3 years and have someone ready to step up and take over. I'm wondering who can step up in Fairchilds staff.
              He's talking about Marty going to ATL for the HC gig, which they also said was a great fit on Sirius last night.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                He's talking about Marty going to ATL for the HC gig, which they also said was a great fit on Sirius last night.
                My bad, thanks for the clarification.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by billsburgh
                  I think there are some people around the league who are impressed by what he has been able to do the last two years with the lack of talent, injuries and all of the young players that he has had to work with. Yes, his teams have given up a lot of yardage, but in the all-important scoring defense category his teams have been quite respectable despite the adversity that he has had to work with: the Bills ranked 10th in scoring defense last season and are currently 16th in scoring defense despite giving up 94 points to NE in two games (IMHO giving up points to NE this season is a forgiveable offense in most people's eyes)--excluding their two games against NE, a team that no one has really been able to stop this season, the Bills defense would be 8th in scoring defense in the league, just .3 points behind 6th ranked Jacksonville and Green Bay and .4 points behind 5th ranked Seattle. And, almost everyone who has seen the Bills play this season has remarked on how hard their defense plays and how relentless it is.

Accomplishing that with John DiGiorgio as your MLB and George Wilson as your starting FS, etc., etc., etc., for most of the season to this point is something that is going to get the attention of owners who have young teams that are going to be rebuilding. It may not be enough to get Fewell a HC job somewhere this off-season, but it will get him some interviews and will have people around the league watching him next season if he doesn't get a HC job.

IMHO, given the fact that Atlanta was reportedly very impressed by Singletary when they interviewed him last year, Singletary probably has the inside track for the Atlanta job if Arthur Blank is not able to lure B.Cowher out of retirement or doesn't choose to give M.Schottenheimer the kind of power that he will want in order to take a HC job. Word is that J.Garrett has been promised the Dallas job after W.Phillips leaves, but will he want to wait that long? If he doesn't, he would be a top candidate for just about any HC job around, including Atlanta's. But, the question is whether he would be so impatient that he would take the massive rebuilding job that he would have in Atlanta instead of waiting for the relatively cushy job he would have in Dallas, where he could count on Jerry Jones spending whatever Garrett wants him to (yes, Jerry Jones can be a meddlesome pain for any HC, but so can Arthur Blank, so there's not that much difference there).
                  Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

Working...
                  X