PDA

View Full Version : Some options for OC next year.....

Mahdi
12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Wow,,,, well I guess many of you got your wish,,,, I just hope this doesnt set us back next year. If Norv Turner is fired in the offseason he will be looking for another OC gig so that he can be really successful and get another HC gig in 2009.

Other options....

Cam Cameron (crazy thought but maybe not.... He might be like Norv... OC yes.. HC No...

Russ Grimm: Currently Asst. HC/OL in Arizona, he has been around some really good offenses and 2 very different ones in the Steelers and Cards which would give him lots of experience.

Drew Bledsoe: Now this one is truely crazy and probably wouldnt happen but I think he would actually be a good coach.

Jim Zorn: Currently serving as the QB coach in Seattle.... anyone from that Mike Holmgren tree will do.

Pat Shurmer: Currently QB coach for Eagles anyone from the Andy Reid tree is always welcome.

Any other ideas?

baalworship
12-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Alex Van Pelt would be someone to look at as he played for the Bills, is already here and I like QB's as coordinators.

Cam Cam would be nice too.

DraftBoy
12-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Norm Chow

Mr. Pink
12-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Bill Callahan!

baalworship
12-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Norm Chow

That would be nice but why would he and the Titans accept a lateral move?

Mahdi
12-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Bill Callahan!
Good one!

SquishDaFish
12-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Norm Chow can move over for assistant head coach/OC but I think it will be Van Pelt and wouldnt mind a college coach or Callahan

FlyingDutchman
12-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Mike Mularkey:couch:

Mahdi
12-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Mike Mularkey:couch:
He can come serve cheese burgers I suppose... but we still need an OC....

Night Train
12-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Joe Pendry [/sarcasm]

RedEyE
12-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Hiring Russ Grimm would officially make this a team of Geriatric Gurus.

OpIv37
12-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Russ Grimm: Currently Asst. HC/OL in Arizona, he has been around some really good offenses and 2 very different ones in the Steelers and Cards which would give him lots of experience.

I'm not sure how it works in Arizona, but the Skins always call their coordinators "assistant head coaches" because it means they can't leave unless it's for a promotion- meaning a HC position. If it works the same way in Arizona's contracts, then it means Grimm wouldn't be a possibility.

Mudflap1
12-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Van Pelt's not my first choice, but I could see it happening.

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Jim Caldwell. QB coach from INDY.

DraftBoy
12-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Jim Harbaugh

Mahdi
12-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Jim Caldwell. QB coach from INDY.
Thats one guy I wouldnt want.... Peyton Manning coaches more than he does I bet.

HAMMER
12-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Stay in house, stay in the same system.

Mudflap1
12-12-2007, 12:21 PM
DraftBoy:

Why would Norm Chow take a lateral move to the Bills, and why would Jim Harbaugh leave as HC of Stanford for OC of Buffalo when he's a strong candidate for HC of Michigan (his alma mater)? I don't think either one of them will be on our radar screen.

DraftBoy
12-12-2007, 12:23 PM
DraftBoy:

Why would Norm Chow take a lateral move to the Bills, and why would Jim Harbaugh leave as HC of Stanford for OC of Buffalo when he's a strong candidate for HC of Michigan (his alma mater)? I don't think either one of them will be on our radar screen.

Chow can take over as OC and be the Asst. HC which will be a pay raise and he can run a traditional offense which he cant at Tennessee.

Harbaugh may be a cadidate for Michigan but at this point everybody else has turned them down, so he may also. And I think coaching a rising team as their OC as opposed to coaching a perennial loser would be a draw, plus the pay raise.

Mudflap1
12-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure how much of a pay raise it will be for either... but for the record, I'd love Chow, I just don't see our guys being that creative or inspiring with their choice...

BidsJr
12-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Drew Bledsoe: Now this one is truely crazy and probably wouldnt happen but I think he would actually be a good coach.

Any other ideas?

At least his offense would be easy to pick up.

Drew: "Ok Trent, just pat the ball untill Lee gets open..... You know, pat, pat, pat.... then if you're still standing chuck it deep to Lee!"

jpdex12
12-12-2007, 12:39 PM

I absolutely agree! Van Pelt or our RB coach Studesville who coached as a Offensive QC coach in Chicago from 97-2000.

Van Pelt is currently breaking down video and game planning each week so he seems to be the most likely candidate. I bet we definitely stay in house for the OC. Studesville is a 1,000 rushing machine producer though. With TE's style and the desire for OBD to control the clock with this untested offense we have and a new two headed back stable I could see Eric as the OC pounding the ball and popping some ball control passing and occassional deep bomb.

jpdex12
12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Marv Levy for OC and GM!

Ed
12-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Someone from the New England staff. They gotta be smart and they'd be a good resource for figuring out how to stop the Pats. I don't know any of their position coaches though.

justasportsfan
12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Norm Chow
:drool:

We would have to demote April and sign Norm as an asst. HC though.

justasportsfan
12-12-2007, 12:58 PM
which is?

Mr. Miyagi
12-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Someone from the New England staff. They gotta be smart and they'd be a good resource for figuring out how to stop the Pats. I don't know any of their position coaches though.
Oh like Mangini is working out really well for the Jets?

TigerJ
12-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Norm Chow Isn't Norm Chow the OC for Jeff Fisher in Tennessee? I can see Tennessee letting him go, and I don't think league rules allow for a lateral move like that while he's under contract.

I vote for continuity and promoting within the organization. If Turk Schonert is a bright enough guy, I'd consider him. Then promote Alex Van Pelt to QB coach. I love Norm Chow though. If he really were available, you have to give him consideration.

Kerr
12-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Staying within and not changing anything to avoid a setback would probably the best route to go, which is why I'd strongly consider turk schonert, another stanford guy. Give the guy credit for developing Edwards.

bigbub2352
12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I think AVP is most logical, everyone who has ever been around him says he will be an awesome coach he was in the league learning offensive systems not just one for like 11 yrs, and has been here with Trent all year so i dont think conservative Dick will go outside to hire him, what about Studsville RB coach, he has done a great job with RBs here

bigbub2352
12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I think AVP is most logical, everyone who has ever been around him says he will be an awesome coach he was in the league learning offensive systems not just one for like 11 yrs, and has been here with Trent all year so i dont think conservative Dick will go outside to hire him, what about Studsville RB coach, he has done a great job with RBs here

d1220
12-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I know it would never happen, but I'll say it anyway... Jim Kelly :D:

DraftBoy
12-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Isn't Norm Chow the OC for Jeff Fisher in Tennessee? I can see Tennessee letting him go, and I don't think league rules allow for a lateral move like that while he's under contract.

I vote for continuity and promoting within the organization. If Turk Schonert is a bright enough guy, I'd consider him. Then promote Alex Van Pelt to QB coach. I love Norm Chow though. If he really were available, you have to give him consideration.

Youd have to offer him the Asst. HC job too so its not lateral

Jeff1220
12-12-2007, 01:48 PM
How many Asst. HCs are allowed? Bobby April already has that title.

DraftBoy
12-12-2007, 01:51 PM
How many Asst. HCs are allowed? Bobby April already has that title.

Dont know to be honest, and is Associate HC a position?

Mudflap1
12-12-2007, 01:52 PM
The Redskins have two, Greggers and Saunders.

Mahdi
12-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Staying within and not changing anything to avoid a setback would probably the best route to go, which is why I'd strongly consider turk schonert, another stanford guy. Give the guy credit for developing Edwards.
I agree.... knowing the Bills FO and how they operate im pretty certain it will be Schonert which is good since it keeps all the language the same.

billsburgh
12-12-2007, 02:23 PM
It's time to bring back Kevin Gilbride. whatever it takes to pry him away from the Giants.

mysticsoto
12-12-2007, 02:28 PM
It's time to bring back Kevin Gilbride. whatever it takes to pry him away from the Giants.

:puke:

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Kent Hull for OC!!!

jamze132
12-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Chow can take over as OC and be the Asst. HC which will be a pay raise and he can run a traditional offense which he cant at Tennessee.

Harbaugh may be a cadidate for Michigan but at this point everybody else has turned them down, so he may also. And I think coaching a rising team as their OC as opposed to coaching a perennial loser would be a draw, plus the pay raise.
So you are going to fire Bobby April from his "other title" of Assistant HC? Nice.

jamze132
12-12-2007, 02:58 PM
"Ask Madden"

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Stay in house, stay in the same system. I somewhat agree, however I don't see anyone with qualifications to step up. Shonert has been a pretty much a QB coach his entire career, Van Pelt is a warm fuzzy choice, kinda like like when Mouse was hired as the Line coach. He's done decently. However an OC is needed to drive this team to take the next step, To me Van Pelt isn't that guy.

justasportsfan
12-12-2007, 03:03 PM
you need an OC that can play chess with BB on gameday. Somone who can change the gameplan in a spilt sec. I'm not sure if AVP is that guy.

AVP is a very smart guy though. He can read defenses well .JUst not sure if he's ready.

ZacGriffi~82
12-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Steve Mariucci

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Maybe it's me but I feel Steve Mariucci is more about his system that what talent is on the team. THe Bills need someone who can adjust to the talent and not force a scheme. The Bills have had a stream of coaches like that. Live and learn.

Ed
12-12-2007, 04:42 PM
So no one likes the idea of stealing someone from the Pats?

How about Dennis Green? Would he consider an OC position?

shelby
12-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Brett Farve!

Kidding, i kid....

i'd be fine with AVP.

Slim
12-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I hope its AVP.

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 04:47 PM
So no one likes the idea of stealing someone from the Pats?

How about Dennis Green? Would he consider an OC position?

Dennis Green would not be a good choice, he has never done all that well in any city he's been in. His name always surfaces when jobs become available, but most say the same thing. He should go to the collegiate level.

RingofFire
12-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Mariucci Fassel Harbaugh Those are my top 3 choices

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't think Jauron is going to take a chance on someone with little experience. I have to believe that He and Marv see the direction this team is taking and will get someone to elevate it. Who? I don't know. None of us do, but one name I would throw in the hat would be Wade Wilson. While not ever having the OC title, he has done a lot of good things with QB's and has a tie with Chicago.

Ingtar33
12-12-2007, 05:07 PM
chow likely won't get a D1 job,

sadly, D1-A coaching jobs are not just X's and O's, it's about how good you can recruit, and how good you can smooze the alumni for cash.

the rumor's i've heard about Chow is he isn't particularly good at either, so it's unlikely he'd get a D1-A gig, unless it was with a team desperate to field a winner, who's already about as bad as you can be.

In short a program with nothing to lose.

DraftBoy
12-12-2007, 05:08 PM
So you are going to fire Bobby April from his "other title" of Assistant HC? Nice.

No there is no rule that states you cant have two Asst. HC's, somebody already posted how the Skins have two.

DraftBoy
12-12-2007, 05:10 PM
chow likely won't get a D1 job,

sadly, D1-A coaching jobs are not just X's and O's, it's about how good you can recruit, and how good you can smooze the alumni for cash.

the rumor's i've heard about Chow is he isn't particularly good at either, so it's unlikely he'd get a D1-A gig, unless it was with a team desperate to field a winner, who's already about as bad as you can be.

In short a program with nothing to lose.

So would he be more inclined to maybe a more traditional OC role with Asst. HC job added in?

YardRat
12-12-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't see AVP jumping from QC directly to OC. Schonert is the more likely choice with Alex possibly moving up into a position coach role.

BILLSROCK1212
12-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Turner Gill

Confused
12-12-2007, 06:13 PM
tony cornheiser

jamze132
12-13-2007, 02:37 AM
No there is no rule that states you cant have two Asst. HC's, somebody already posted how the Skins have two.
I understand that, but think about it for a sec. You are the assistant manager of your department. Your boss thinks he can get getter production if he brings in someone just like you and tells you your responsibilities have been cut in half. And by the way, you better watch your step because if you mess up the smallest bit, your job could be gone.

Now I am not saying that is the way it is in Buffalo, much less the NFL, but hypotheticaly speaking, that should be a good example.

jamze132
12-13-2007, 02:38 AM
We should just make Alex Van Pelt the OC and not worry about it.

LABillsFan
12-13-2007, 04:07 AM
Why would DJ even think of stipping April or having someone share the title with him. Sounds like bad business to me.