X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarshawnIsDaMan
    • Nov 2007

Howard Simon just said that Buffalo controls its own destiny

I am streaming his show online right now. He just said that if Buffalo wins out, then we are in the playoffs. He heard this from a source in the NFL. We win, were in. It doesn't matter what happens to CLE or TEN.
    The Bills havent made the playoffs since I graduated high school. Lets please make it before Im 30.

This is the next superstar RB
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Howard Simon just said that Buffalo controls its own destiny

Dont understand how, but cool.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

It's a strength of schedule factor that no one can figure out but the league. It's the only thing that no one can understand or calculate without a team of Philly lawyers.

Comment

• Ed
        Dude
        • Sep 2002

I think he's wrong...

Comment

• MarshawnIsDaMan
          • Nov 2007

i found this link at cbs and they have a little more detail. i think this backs up my theory:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standi...rs-explanation

key points from the text:

Three or More Clubs
          (Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
          1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
          2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

i think the bolded sentences would indicate that a team can be eliminated simply by losing to both teams at any point in the tiebreak.

titans lose to both us and cleveland at tiebreak #3 and so are eliminated before we even get to strength of victory.

so we do in fact control our destiny.

This is what a member from another message board posted. He seems like he knows what he's talking about.
          The Bills havent made the playoffs since I graduated high school. Lets please make it before Im 30.

Comment

• billsburgh
            • Jul 2003

that's not what Chris Brown wrote in his blog yesterday.
            All of the following scenarios are going under the assumption that Buffalo wins out and finishes the regular season 10-6

Scenario 1

Jacksonville wins two of their last three to finish 11-5 and grabs the first Wild Card

Tennessee wins out to finish 10-6

Cleveland loses to Buffalo and wins their last two to finish 10-6

Bills finish 10-6

That makes all three teams battling for the final Wild Card 10-6.

All three teams would also have the same conference record (7-5) so the next tiebreaker, winning percentage versus common opponents (minimum of four), would be applied. But in this case there are not enough common opponents, so strength of victory would be applied next. Basically it’s the winning percentage of the opponents you defeated.

The order of strength is Tennessee, Buffalo, Cleveland

(It should be noted that strength of victory is incomplete because the winning percentage of each of the team’s three remaining opponents is unknown. But Buffalo or Cleveland likely won’t catch the Titans in this tiebreaker)

Result: Tennessee would make the playoffs

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

I saw in another forum that Sirius NFL radio also confirmed that if Buffalo wins all 3 we are in no matter what. Who knows why but this is from the NFL front offices.

Comment

• MarshawnIsDaMan
                • Nov 2007

Simon just said it again that we have a better record against common opponents than TEN. Thats why we get in if we win.

Comment

• SyraBillsLican
                  • Jun 2005

simon is wrong then.....

if we tie at 10-6 with tennessee and cleveland... were OUT.

trust me. ive been over it a thousand times. were out.

these guys are fools and know now what they speak of.
                  Lets exorcise the Music City Curse! No playoffs since so-called "miracle." LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!!!

Comment

• MarshawnIsDaMan
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by SyraBillsLican
                    simon is wrong then.....

if we tie at 10-6 with tennessee and cleveland... were OUT.

trust me. ive been over it a thousand times. were out.

these guys are fools and know now what they speak of.
                    well if we beat CLE, we tie break over them
                    If us and TEN tie, don't we get in because we have a better record vs common oppponents? This is what they are saying. Sirius NFL radio and an NFL source told Simon. Im not saying I know, Im going on their word.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                      Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                      • Jun 2005

I believe the experts over you Syra no offense.

Comment

• Ed
                        Dude
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MarshawnIsDaMan
                        Simon just said it again that we have a better record against common opponents than TEN. Thats why we get in if we win.
                        I don't think common opponents would apply in a three way tie since all three teams wouldn't have a minimum of four common opponents.

If we win out, we will win head to head tie-breakers against both Cleveland and Tenn. So neither can beat us head to head no matter what if we win out. In a three way tie it's different though since none of the teams are in the same division. The head to head tie-breakers wouldn't apply.

Comment

• SyraBillsLican
                          • Jun 2005

in a three way tie, head-to-head doesnt matter unless we beat BOTH cleveland AND tennessee, which we wont

in a three way tie, 4 common opponents are needed between ALL THREE teams, which there aren't

it reverts to strength of victory, which we do not own, nor have any hope of owning.

tennessee gets in if cle, buf and tenn are tied at 10-6\
                          Lets exorcise the Music City Curse! No playoffs since so-called "miracle." LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!!!

Comment

• Ed
                            Dude
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by SyraBillsLican
                            in a three way tie, head-to-head doesnt matter unless we beat BOTH cleveland AND tennessee, which we wont

in a three way tie, 4 common opponents are needed between ALL THREE teams, which there aren't

it reverts to strength of victory, which we do not own, nor have any hope of owning.

tennessee gets in if cle, buf and tenn are tied at 10-6\
                            I agree. I think the fact that we hold head to head tie-breakers against both teams at 10-6 is confusing people. I don't think they understand that a 3 way tie among non-division teams is different.

Comment

• MarshawnIsDaMan
                              • Nov 2007

you can go to wgr550.com and stream it. They have talked about it twice so far. They might go into it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X