PDA

View Full Version : Howard Simon just said that Buffalo controls its own destiny

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 11:32 AM
I am streaming his show online right now. He just said that if Buffalo wins out, then we are in the playoffs. He heard this from a source in the NFL. We win, were in. It doesn't matter what happens to CLE or TEN.

patmoran2006
12-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Dont understand how, but cool.

Mitchy moo
12-12-2007, 11:58 AM
It's a strength of schedule factor that no one can figure out but the league. It's the only thing that no one can understand or calculate without a team of Philly lawyers.

Ed
12-12-2007, 12:00 PM
I think he's wrong...

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 12:00 PM
i found this link at cbs and they have a little more detail. i think this backs up my theory:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standi...rs-explanation (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/tiebreakers-explanation)

key points from the text:

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

i think the bolded sentences would indicate that a team can be eliminated simply by losing to both teams at any point in the tiebreak.

titans lose to both us and cleveland at tiebreak #3 and so are eliminated before we even get to strength of victory.

so we do in fact control our destiny.

This is what a member from another message board posted. He seems like he knows what he's talking about.

billsburgh
12-12-2007, 12:05 PM
that's not what Chris Brown wrote in his blog yesterday.
All of the following scenarios are going under the assumption that Buffalo wins out and finishes the regular season 10-6

Scenario 1

Jacksonville wins two of their last three to finish 11-5 and grabs the first Wild Card

Tennessee wins out to finish 10-6

Cleveland loses to Buffalo and wins their last two to finish 10-6

Bills finish 10-6

That makes all three teams battling for the final Wild Card 10-6.

All three teams would also have the same conference record (7-5) so the next tiebreaker, winning percentage versus common opponents (minimum of four), would be applied. But in this case there are not enough common opponents, so strength of victory would be applied next. Basically it’s the winning percentage of the opponents you defeated.

The order of strength is Tennessee, Buffalo, Cleveland

(It should be noted that strength of victory is incomplete because the winning percentage of each of the team’s three remaining opponents is unknown. But Buffalo or Cleveland likely won’t catch the Titans in this tiebreaker)

Result: Tennessee would make the playoffs

Mitchy moo
12-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I saw in another forum that Sirius NFL radio also confirmed that if Buffalo wins all 3 we are in no matter what. Who knows why but this is from the NFL front offices.

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Simon just said it again that we have a better record against common opponents than TEN. Thats why we get in if we win.

SyraBillsLican
12-12-2007, 12:20 PM
simon is wrong then.....

if we tie at 10-6 with tennessee and cleveland... were OUT.

trust me. ive been over it a thousand times. were out.

these guys are fools and know now what they speak of.

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 12:23 PM
simon is wrong then.....

if we tie at 10-6 with tennessee and cleveland... were OUT.

trust me. ive been over it a thousand times. were out.

these guys are fools and know now what they speak of.
well if we beat CLE, we tie break over them
If us and TEN tie, don't we get in because we have a better record vs common oppponents? This is what they are saying. Sirius NFL radio and an NFL source told Simon. Im not saying I know, Im going on their word.

SquishDaFish
12-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I believe the experts over you Syra no offense.

Ed
12-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Simon just said it again that we have a better record against common opponents than TEN. Thats why we get in if we win.
I don't think common opponents would apply in a three way tie since all three teams wouldn't have a minimum of four common opponents.

If we win out, we will win head to head tie-breakers against both Cleveland and Tenn. So neither can beat us head to head no matter what if we win out. In a three way tie it's different though since none of the teams are in the same division. The head to head tie-breakers wouldn't apply.

SyraBillsLican
12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
in a three way tie, head-to-head doesnt matter unless we beat BOTH cleveland AND tennessee, which we wont

in a three way tie, 4 common opponents are needed between ALL THREE teams, which there aren't

it reverts to strength of victory, which we do not own, nor have any hope of owning.

tennessee gets in if cle, buf and tenn are tied at 10-6\

Ed
12-12-2007, 12:28 PM
in a three way tie, head-to-head doesnt matter unless we beat BOTH cleveland AND tennessee, which we wont

in a three way tie, 4 common opponents are needed between ALL THREE teams, which there aren't

it reverts to strength of victory, which we do not own, nor have any hope of owning.

tennessee gets in if cle, buf and tenn are tied at 10-6\
I agree. I think the fact that we hold head to head tie-breakers against both teams at 10-6 is confusing people. I don't think they understand that a 3 way tie among non-division teams is different.

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 12:31 PM
you can go to wgr550.com and stream it. They have talked about it twice so far. They might go into it again.

OpIv37
12-12-2007, 12:34 PM
it would be painful to win out and still miss the playoffs on some technicality. We really need Tenn to drop to 9-7, as unlikely as that may be.

Ed
12-12-2007, 12:37 PM
you can go to wgr550.com and stream it. They have talked about it twice so far. They might go into it again.
Since you got to hear it, was his only reason for the Bills being able to control their own destiny the fact that we'd have a better record against common opponents then Tenn? Did he talk about a 3 way tie, or was he just talking about head to head tie breakers?

cocamide
12-12-2007, 12:39 PM
it would be painful to win out and still miss the playoffs on some technicality. We really need Tenn to drop to 9-7, as unlikely as that may be.

KC is one of those up and down teams. Hopefully they'll be up this week.

The Jets will lose 70-10 this week, so maybe next week they'll be motivated to win.

They have to play Indy in the final game, but Indy will probably be resting their players, so who knows what will happen there.

It's unlikely they lose, but who the hell knows what's gonna happen?

Forward_Lateral
12-12-2007, 12:40 PM

I think only one team in history has gone 10-6 and missed the playoffs. I believe it was the Dolphins a few years back.

I'd probably cry if that happened to the Bills.

Patrick76777
12-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Since you got to hear it, was his only reason for the Bills being able to control their own destiny the fact that we'd have a better record against common opponents then Tenn? Did he talk about a 3 way tie, or was he just talking about head to head tie breakers?

1. Buffalo over Cleveland
2. Tennessee losses to either KC, NYJ or Indy. Just one game.
3. Cincy over Cleveland

If that happens, we get in with a win over the Giants or Eagles. Not both, just one!

That's how 9-7 gets us in!

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 12:44 PM
He said if we beat the Browns, were above them in the tie breaker. Then we are above TEN in the common opponent tie breaker. That was basically it.

Ed
12-12-2007, 12:47 PM
He said if we beat the Browns, were above them in the tie breaker. Then we are above TEN in the common opponent tie breaker. That was basically it.
Well then I'm pretty sure he's wrong, but 3 way ties get complicated.

TigerJ
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
it would be painful to win out and still miss the playoffs on some technicality. We really need Tenn to drop to 9-7, as unlikely as that may be.As long as Indianapolis has something to play for (a home game in the playoffs?), I don't see Tennessee beating the Colts. If the Colts rest too many players, including Peyton, the the Titans stand a chance. I think a couple years ago the Colts wrapped up home field early and rested a bunch of players the last couple weeks. Then they came out pretty flat in the playoffs. So they might give the starters some playing time just to keep them sharp.

SyraBillsLican
12-12-2007, 12:58 PM
if we go 10-6, i HIGHLY doubt that cleveland and tennessee go 5-0 in their last 5 games.

if they go 4-1, were in and there are games like @KC, @cinci and @colts.

if we win out, were prolly in.

so this shouldnt matter in 3 weeks

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Well then I'm pretty sure he's wrong, but 3 way ties get complicated.
He just explained it again. He said if we beat CLE, the 3 way tie breaker doesn't come into effect because trump CLE. Then it goes to a 2 way tie breaker between us and TEN. We have a better record vs common opponents. He asked this nfl league source guy like 3 or 4 times to make sure that it was right. The league source said yes. Simon admited he doesn't know by himself but this league source assured him. Those are the words straight from Howard Simon's mouth.

SyraBillsLican
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
simon and his league source are wrong.... you need to SWEEP head to head. one victory does not matter.

justasportsfan
12-12-2007, 01:09 PM
welcome to last year. Hopefully Dick and his players aren't thinking about playoffs scenarios. Just win this sunday . Thats all that should be in their head .

madness
12-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I want to see us win out before I even contemplate any of this.

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 01:11 PM
simon and his league source are wrong.... you need to SWEEP head to head. one victory does not matter.
I will be the first to admit that I don't know. Im not good with the math part of the football. I am just posting what I am hearing.

mikemac2001
12-12-2007, 01:16 PM
He just explained it again. He said if we beat CLE, the 3 way tie breaker doesn't come into effect because trump CLE. Then it goes to a 2 way tie breaker between us and TEN. We have a better record vs common opponents. He asked this nfl league source guy like 3 or 4 times to make sure that it was right. The league source said yes. Simon admited he doesn't know by himself but this league source assured him. Those are the words straight from Howard Simon's mouth.

i remember a situation similar to this a few years back and i think they are right on it, because say cle won the three way tie breaker vs us but we beat them head to head that would be total BS

So first they eliminate the head to head games then go to the first tiebreaker between the remaining.

Making up a scenario to prove my point (not factual or referring to this year)

Say 3 teams are 10-6 SD JAX AND MIA all of them are fighting for final WC spot

Say SD beats JAX during the year

If they ended up going to common opps JAX has the better record between SD and MIA so MIA has no chance either way

why would jax end up beating out SD for the final WC when SD beat JAX during the season that would be an outrage if that ever happened

So they first do head to head to eliminate the teams that have lost to each other then go on to the next tie breaker....im not an expert but any other way would not make sense at all

Ultra Chimp 1
12-12-2007, 01:33 PM
If we do go 10-6, odds are we will make the playoffs anyhow. I don't think Tennesse, Cleveland or even Buffalo for that matter are locks to finish 10-6.

I guarantee the team that does finish 10-6 gets in, and won't even have to worry about all that tiebreaker crap.

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 01:37 PM
I think the three way tie breaker does not hold up because CLE will not have any tie breakers over Buffalo or Tennessee. I think thats why it is only a two team tie breaker with the Bills and Titans. I don't know for sure but thats how I interpret what Simon has been saying.

Tatonka
12-12-2007, 01:44 PM
i cant really even think about all of that right now... i mean seriously guys.. wins against cleveland, the giants, and the eagles are going to be so hard.

and can i ask you.. would it really suck that awfully bad if we finished 10-6.. and didnt make it? i mean.. how fun is getting in the playoffs, only to get beat to **** for a second time on national television against the pats.. ugh.. i dont know if i can take another 50 point victory by new england..

Meathead
12-12-2007, 01:46 PM
somebody say we should only be worrying about beating cleveland go ahead say it

mikemac2001
12-12-2007, 01:50 PM
I just stated what will happen all the other statements didnt make sense.

how can we beat a team and they even be considered in a tiebreaker with us

Meathead
12-12-2007, 01:50 PM
would it really suck that awfully bad if we finished 10-6.. and didnt make it? i mean.. how fun is getting in the playoffs, only to get beat to **** for a second time on national television against the pats.. ugh.. i dont know if i can take another 50 point victory by new england..
dude i am so tempted to violate my neg rules for this

a playoff game, ANY playoff game, would represent a huge step forward for this team. first of all it would give them invaluable experience what the playoffs are about. second it would give them tremendous confidence going into and through next season. they would learn as much in that one game as they would another entire regular season not making the playoffs

that all happens even if they break the all-time playoff record for margin of loss. cheats could score in triple digits and it wouldnt matter

cmere i have to tell you something. closer, a little closer ...

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 01:51 PM
i cant really even think about all of that right now... i mean seriously guys.. wins against cleveland, the giants, and the eagles are going to be so hard.

and can i ask you.. would it really suck that awfully bad if we finished 10-6.. and didnt make it? i mean.. how fun is getting in the playoffs, only to get beat to **** for a second time on national television against the pats.. ugh.. i dont know if i can take another 50 point victory by new england..
It was only a 46 point loss :D: . Even if we did get blown out, we still havent been in the playoffs since 1999. It would be great just getting there and then prepare for next year.

Tatonka
12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
im not saying that i dont want them to make the playoffs.. but god.. the pain of watching a team that has looked so good and come so far finish the season with a 40-50 point loss.. i dont think i could stand it.. it would leave an awful taste in my mouth all offseason.. but i guess so would finishing 10-6 and not making..

honestly.. i dont care.. i just want to see them win this week.. and then i can worry about all the scenarios.

it just sucks that the winner gets to be the lamb to get slaughtered by new england. ive never seen a team that strong.

The Answer
12-12-2007, 02:04 PM

Tenn has lost 4 of 5 games - you honestly think that they are going to win 3 in a row given how bad Vince Young is playing right now, plus the loss against the Chargers in overtime is likely going to adversely effect them as well.

They go to KC this week - no walk in the park even though KC has hit the skids it's very tough to win there in december.

Then they have the jets at home - no gimme either the way the jets have been playing.

Then at Indy to close - even if they rest the starters it's highly unlikely Ten wins this game.

Bottom line - no need to worry about the Titans.

~The Answer

Mr. Pink
12-12-2007, 02:05 PM
im not saying that i dont want them to make the playoffs.. but god.. the pain of watching a team that has looked so good and come so far finish the season with a 40-50 point loss.. i dont think i could stand it.. it would leave an awful taste in my mouth all offseason.. but i guess so would finishing 10-6 and not making..

honestly.. i dont care.. i just want to see them win this week.. and then i can worry about all the scenarios.

it just sucks that the winner gets to be the lamb to get slaughtered by new england. ive never seen a team that strong.

Whoever wins this game is likely to head to Pittsburgh first.

Steelers can beat both Cleveland and Buffalo. Both teams will keep it close but going to Pittspuke in January isn't going to be an easy game.

Dr. Lecter
12-12-2007, 02:06 PM
somebody say we should only be worrying about beating cleveland go ahead say it

One game at a time.

We need to beat the Brownies first.

Meathead
12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
all my bux to whoever kicks lecters ass

raphael120
12-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Simon called an NFL rep and the NFL rep confirmed that this was true..

Ed
12-12-2007, 02:24 PM
i remember a situation similar to this a few years back and i think they are right on it, because say cle won the three way tie breaker vs us but we beat them head to head that would be total BS

So first they eliminate the head to head games then go to the first tiebreaker between the remaining.

Making up a scenario to prove my point (not factual or referring to this year)

Say 3 teams are 10-6 SD JAX AND MIA all of them are fighting for final WC spot

Say SD beats JAX during the year

If they ended up going to common opps JAX has the better record between SD and MIA so MIA has no chance either way

why would jax end up beating out SD for the final WC when SD beat JAX during the season that would be an outrage if that ever happened

So they first do head to head to eliminate the teams that have lost to each other then go on to the next tie breaker....im not an expert but any other way would not make sense at all

The reason head to head doesn't apply in a 3 way tie is because all 3 teams could have played each other. Using your scenario, lets say you have situation where SD beat Jax, Jax beat Miami, and Miami beat SD. No matter which team ends up getting that last WC spot, one of the teams will get in over another team that they lost to head to head.

Tatonka
12-12-2007, 02:35 PM
i didnt realize that we would play pit first.. that makes me feel alot better.

Ed
12-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok, so here's the official tie-breaker rules for a 3 way tie.

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

#1 does not apply because we are all in different divisions.
#2 does not apply because niether the Bills or the Browns play the Titans head to head this year.
#3 would still be a 3 way tie as we would all be 7-5 in the AFC.
#4 does not apply because all 3 teams do not have a minimum of four common opponents.

Since all 3 teams are still tied, we have to move on to #5 which is strength of victory. Tenn. would win this easily.

Notice how if one of the teams had been eliminated before the fourth tie breaker the two team format would apply, and you'd start from the beginning. But because all 3 teams remained tied through the first 4 steps, #5, strength of victory, is the deciding factor. The fact that we have a better common record against Tenn. won't matter because we won't be able to get into a 2 team tie breaker scenario with them.

All this is totally irrelevant if we don't beat Cleveland though.

Mr. Pink
12-12-2007, 02:38 PM
i didnt realize that we would play pit first.. that makes me feel alot better.

6th seed at 3rd seed
5th seed at 4th seed

Right now it would be...

Cleveland at Pittsburgh
Jacksonville at San Diego

If memory serves me right...NE then plays the lowest seed remaining and the higher seed remaining goes to Indy.

Mr. Pink
12-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Another 2 scenarios that could happen...although unlikely.

Cleveland wins out and Pittsburgh loses out....Cleveland wins the North and Pittsburgh is 9-7. Jacksonville loses out and goes 9-7. Tennesee goes 2-1 and is 9-7. Buffalo is 2-1 and also 9-7.

Who gets the two playoff spots in this scenario as the wildcard?

OR

Buffalo wins out. 10-6 Jacksonville goes 1-2 10-6 Tenessee wins out 10-6
Cleveland wins 2 of 3 and Pittsburgh loses all 3...Cleveland wins the North at 10-6 and Pitts is out of playoffs.

Who gets the two wild cards in this scenario?

MarshawnIsDaMan
12-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Another 2 scenarios that could happen...although unlikely.

Cleveland wins out and Pittsburgh loses out....Cleveland wins the North and Pittsburgh is 9-7. Jacksonville loses out and goes 9-7. Tennesee goes 2-1 and is 9-7. Buffalo is 2-1 and also 9-7.

Who gets the two playoff spots in this scenario as the wildcard?

OR

Buffalo wins out. 10-6 Jacksonville goes 1-2 10-6 Tenessee wins out 10-6
Cleveland wins 2 of 3 and Pittsburgh loses all 3...Cleveland wins the North at 10-6 and Pitts is out of playoffs.

Who gets the two wild cards in this scenario?
The top scenario would be PIT and JAX in the playoffs because they both beat us.
I dont know about the bottom scenario.

mikemac2001
12-12-2007, 02:54 PM
So im right?

Ok, so here's the official tie-breaker rules for a 3 way tie.

Three or More Clubs
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

#1 does not apply because we are all in different divisions.
#2 does not apply because niether the Bills or the Browns play the Titans head to head this year.
#3 would still be a 3 way tie as we would all be 7-5 in the AFC.
#4 does not apply because all 3 teams do not have a minimum of four common opponents.

Since all 3 teams are still tied, we have to move on to #5 which is strength of victory. Tenn. would win this easily.

Notice how if one of the teams had been eliminated before the fourth tie breaker the two team format would apply, and you'd start from the beginning. But because all 3 teams remained tied through the first 4 steps, #5, strength of victory, is the deciding factor. The fact that we have a better common record against Tenn. won't matter because we won't be able to get into a 2 team tie breaker scenario with them.

All this is totally irrelevant if we don't beat Cleveland though.

Ed
12-12-2007, 02:58 PM
So im right?
No, I think you're wrong.

Patrick76777
12-12-2007, 02:59 PM
1. Buffalo over Cleveland
2. Tennessee losses to either KC, NYJ or Indy. Just one game.
3. Cincy over Cleveland

If that happens, we get in with a win over the Giants or Eagles. Not both, just one!

That's how 9-7 gets us in!

mikemac2001
12-12-2007, 03:21 PM
No, I think you're wrong.

the bold explains it we eliminate CLE with first tie breaker

then goes on to ten and we win that

Ultra Chimp 1
12-12-2007, 03:30 PM

But we wouldn't play the Pats in the first round. New England would have a bye.

Meathead
12-12-2007, 03:47 PM
seems pretty clear to me which is why i was surprised he would report it and doubly surprised he says an nfl official has confirmed it

i sure hope hes right but i dont see how he is

Mitchy moo
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
The Bills have one goal now, to win every game and play as hard as ever. It starts with the Browns and ends with Philly but the focus for the fans is the whole picture. The focus for the players is the Browns, which is what matters. DJ and crew can care less about anything else but traveling to the pound and kicking arse, I'll assure you of that.

Beat the Browns and the odds go up drastically for post-season play. Tenn. will fall apart, they already lost 4 of the last 5 games and the browns have had one of the easiest schedules including the NFC West as well. Time to play a real team with a big heart.

Ed
12-12-2007, 04:19 PM

the bold explains it we eliminate CLE with first tie breaker

then goes on to ten and we win that
I don't think you're understanding the process. If all three teams are still tied after the third tie breaker you continue with the 3 team tie breakers until at least one team is eliminated. If one team is eliminated, then you revert to the 2 club format. In our case, though, Tenn. would eliminate both Buffalo and Cleveland once it got to strength of victory.

JD
12-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Is there anyway we could make the playoffs after the next two weeks? If so how sick would it be to rush the field and take down the posts!!!??!?? :D

mikemac2001
12-12-2007, 04:55 PM
I don't think you're understanding the process. If all three teams are still tied after the third tie breaker you continue with the 3 team tie breakers until at least one team is eliminated. If one team is eliminated, then you revert to the 2 club format. In our case, though, Tenn. would eliminate both Buffalo and Cleveland once it got to strength of victory.

so your saying if CLE had the tiebreaker againist all of us with strength of victory and we beat them and all tied at 10-6 we would not get in even with beating CLE head on i doubt that is how the league is setup like i said before the league would never allow a team to get in that lost to one of the other 2

Ed
12-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Is there anyway we could make the playoffs after the next two weeks? If so how sick would it be to rush the field and take down the posts!!!??!?? :D
Assuming Denver loses tomorrow, we beat Cleveland, and KC beats Tenn., it's possible that we could clinch the last spot in week 16 against the Giants. However, Cincy would have to beat Cleveland before our game finished to know if we could tear the posts down.

We could also clinch if Tenn. lost, but they don't play until 4:15 PM.

Ed
12-12-2007, 05:06 PM
so your saying if CLE had the tiebreaker againist all of us with strength of victory and we beat them and all tied at 10-6 we would not get in even with beating CLE head on i doubt that is how the league is setup like i said before the league would never allow a team to get in that lost to one of the other 2
Yes, Cleveland would get in because as long as there is a 3 way tie, the head to head match wouldn't be relevant until the 3 way tie was broken. Only after the 3 way tie is broken can you revert to a 2 team format.

So in your scenario Cleveland would still qualify. However if Buffalo and Cleveland were tied at strength of victory, but both were better then Tenn., the head to head matchup would break the tie between Buffalo and Cleveland.

As for not allowing a team to get in that lost to another team, I talked about that in an earlier post.

Lets say Buffalo, Cleveland and Tenn. all played each other this year. Buffalo beats Cleveland, Cleveland beats Tenn., Tenn. beats Buffalo. If only one of those teams can advance, then no matter what, you have to let in a team that lost to one of the other two.

mikemac2001
12-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Lets say Buffalo, Cleveland and Tenn. all played each other this year. Buffalo beats Cleveland, Cleveland beats Tenn., Tenn. beats Buffalo. If only one of those teams can advance, then no matter what, you have to let in a team that lost to one of the other two.

I understand that if they all played and lost to each other leaving it where no team was a clear favor thats why you would move onto next tiebreaker but this situation only 2 of the teams had played each other. in your scenario it makes sense that it would go to the strength of schedule because all teams tie on that tiebreaker you move on but in head to head tenn doesnt matter i think its just like inner div goes first.

G. Host
12-12-2007, 06:04 PM
But we wouldn't play the Pats in the first round. New England would have a bye.

Isn't a NFL rule that Patiots always get a bye before playing Buffalo?

Ed
12-12-2007, 07:03 PM
I understand that if they all played and lost to each other leaving it where no team was a clear favor thats why you would move onto next tiebreaker but this situation only 2 of the teams had played each other. in your scenario it makes sense that it would go to the strength of schedule because all teams tie on that tiebreaker you move on but in head to head tenn doesnt matter i think its just like inner div goes first.
No, it's not like breaking a tie within a division because the Browns and Bills aren't in the same division. Re-read the tie breaker rules. When 3 or more teams are tied, you break ties within the division first. Otherwise you use the 3 or more team format. In a 3 way tie our head to head matchup with the Browns is NOT APPLICABLE. That's just the way it is. Besides, if it's a 3 way tie at 10-6 the Browns don't get in over us anyway.

mikemac2001
12-12-2007, 07:05 PM
No, it's not like breaking a tie within a division because the Browns and Bills aren't in the same division. Re-read the tie breaker rules. When 3 or more teams are tied, you break ties within the division first. Otherwise you use the 3 or more team format. In a 3 way tie our head to head matchup with the Browns is NOT APPLICABLE. That's just the way it is. Besides, if it's a 3 way tie at 10-6 the Browns don't get in over us anyway.

i know the browns dont...but its possible you could beat a team and be tied with them and not go to the playoffs is just an outrage though i just dont believe it could be like that. like i said first post not an expert just that doesnt make sense at all

Ed
12-12-2007, 07:17 PM
i know the browns dont...but its possible you could beat a team and be tied with them and not go to the playoffs is just an outrage though i just dont believe it could be like that. like i said first post not an expert just that doesnt make sense at all
There's no way to set up a perfect system where that can't happen though.

Meathead
12-12-2007, 07:50 PM
seems outrageous but right now it appears thats how the rule reads

There's no way to set up a perfect system where that can't happen though.
sure there is you just put it in the rule. somewhere along the line you say if three teams are ties and one team beat another that team is eliminated. badaboom badabing

jamze132
12-13-2007, 06:14 AM

The Pats have a 1st round bye. We would either play Pitt, Jax, or SD if Indy wraps up the other 1st round bye.

jamze132
12-13-2007, 06:22 AM
We should just incorporate the BCS standings to the NFL. That should solve everything, right? LOL

jamze132
12-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Wouldn't it be something to finish 10-6 and make the playoffs? That would mean we went 5-0 down the stretch. Also after starting 1-4, we went 9-2 to finish the season.

But lets worry about Cleveland first or all this is a moot point.