PDA

View Full Version : Would You Be Upset If...

LifetimeBillsFan
12-12-2007, 02:52 PM
With OC Steve Fairchild departing to become HC at Colorado State and Trent Edwards showing that he can get the ball out quickly and be very accurate in the short-to-medium range passing game, would you be very upset if the Bills were to hire an OC who would run some, perhaps modified, version of the West Coast Offense?

The Bills would probably have to add a better receiving TE--something that many Bills fans have been calling for the team to do anyway--along with another good WR (--ditto--), but Lynch and Jackson appear to be RBs who could prosper in a WCO and, while not as mobile as you might want a WCO QB to be, Edwards seems to the intelligence and passing accuracy to be a good fit in a WCO. But, would Bills fans accept having the Bills run say an Andy Reid- or Mike Holmgren-style version of the WCO?

Your thoughts... What kind of offense would you like to see the Bills' new OC run? (And, don't say "One that can move the ball" or "One that scores TDs"! :lol:)

Dr. Lecter
12-12-2007, 02:56 PM
My biggest concern with the WCO is that it usually takes a team and QB 2-3 years to really get a firm grasp on. And I don't want to wait any longer.

OpIv37
12-12-2007, 02:59 PM
with our personnel? Yes. We'd need at least 2 receivers to run the WCO adequately. Plus, given the Buffalo winters, I've never been a fan of pass-happy offenses.

I would, however, like to see some WC-style quick slants in our offense. We seem to be the only NFL team that doesn't run them.

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 03:10 PM
The the emergence of Jackson and the line developement, I think you can add elements of the WCO, but not as a total offensive scheme and especially playing in the AFC You have to take into consideration playing cities in late November and December.

Kerr
12-12-2007, 03:23 PM
As far as I know turk schonert has an understanding of the wco from his days at stanford and being aound bill walsh and george seifert.

LifetimeBillsFan
12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
with our personnel? Yes. We'd need at least 2 receivers to run the WCO adequately. Plus, given the Buffalo winters, I've never been a fan of pass-happy offenses.

I would, however, like to see some WC-style quick slants in our offense. We seem to be the only NFL team that doesn't run them.

Would you consider the offense that Seattle has run with S.Alexander the last several years a "pass-happy offense"? It's a version of the WCO.

And, while everyone seems to remember all of the passes that Montana and Young threw in for the 49ers, they seem to forget just how much they ran the ball with Rickey Waters (and even Garrison Hearst before he got racked up).

You can run the ball a lot with in a WCO, the same way that the Bills ran the ball a lot with T.Thomas in the K-Gun offense. It's just that the WCO and spread offenses use the pass to set up the run by spreading the offense.

The issue of it taking a long time to learn is less of a problem for a guy like Edwards than it would be for Losman or even for the Bills' receivers.

That's not to say that I think that the Bills should look for an OC who will try to install a WCO, I'm just raising the question. I also happen to very much agree with your comment about the need to use slants more often--with Parrish and Reed having the ability to get YAC, I just don't understand why the Bills haven't been more effective using slants to get them open in space where they can use their running ability and escapability.

While I don't have any strong feelings either way at this point, personally, for the sake of continuity and best use of the coaching talent that they already have, I think the Bills might be best off if they made Turk Schonert the OC and elevated Alex Van Pelt to QB coach. From some of the comments that they have made, I think Van Pelt relates well to the QBs that he has worked with and has earned the promotion if they choose to give it to him.

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 03:48 PM
As far as I know turk schonert has an understanding of the wco from his days at stanford and being aound bill walsh and george seifert.

Then maybe he should go to Cal State. But in Buffalo when you may be playing NE, Pitt, Cleve, NY, Cincy, Balt, Carolina, Jax in Nov. or Dec, you need to run the ball and protect it.

OpIv37
12-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Would you consider the offense that Seattle has run with S.Alexander the last several years a "pass-happy offense"? It's a version of the WCO.

And, while everyone seems to remember all of the passes that Montana and Young threw in for the 49ers, they seem to forget just how much they ran the ball with Rickey Waters (and even Garrison Hearst before he got racked up).

You can run the ball a lot with in a WCO, the same way that the Bills ran the ball a lot with T.Thomas in the K-Gun offense. It's just that the WCO and spread offenses use the pass to set up the run by spreading the offense.

The issue of it taking a long time to learn is less of a problem for a guy like Edwards than it would be for Losman or even for the Bills' receivers.

That's not to say that I think that the Bills should look for an OC who will try to install a WCO, I'm just raising the question. I also happen to very much agree with your comment about the need to use slants more often--with Parrish and Reed having the ability to get YAC, I just don't understand why the Bills haven't been more effective using slants to get them open in space where they can use their running ability and escapability.

While I don't have any strong feelings either way at this point, personally, for the sake of continuity and best use of the coaching talent that they already have, I think the Bills might be best off if they made Turk Schonert the OC and elevated Alex Van Pelt to QB coach. From some of the comments that they have made, I think Van Pelt relates well to the QBs that he has worked with and has earned the promotion if they choose to give it to him.

I see your point, but using the pass to set up the run only works when you can pass. If the weather or the lack of receivers takes out the passing game, then the D doesn't get spread and half their job is done for them. Contrast this with a team/system that's designed to run the ball- they're not as bothered by conditions that don't favor the pass because the pass is secondary anyway.

I suppose it could work- after all- NE's offense is extremely pass-happy and they have as many cold weather games as we do. But they also have unique talent and I think that would be really tough to duplicate.

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 05:10 PM
I could see the promotion to AVP. Schonert, however has been a QB coach his entire career. You would think he would have had an opportunity by now to be an OC. I don't get a good feeling about that, Maybe that's a coach Fairchild takes with him to get him some OC experience. Don't know.

HHURRICANE
12-12-2007, 05:10 PM
We should just ask Norv turner after he gets fired and we hire him.

Bone
12-12-2007, 05:12 PM
My biggest concern with the WCO is that it usually takes a team and QB 2-3 years to really get a firm grasp on. And I don't want to wait any longer.

But I think Trent could get it down quickly. He's not like the smartest man in the world but with that no huddle offense was pretty impressive for a rookie's third game I think it was.

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 05:16 PM
You bring in Norv Turner, say goodbye to 2-3 existing coaches. I think he would want to bring in some of his peeps and frankly what can you complain about on the O side of the ball besides the lack of points. The Oline is much better the RB's are doing well, TE is more about talent than coaching at this point. Receivers? Maybe. But even still, they are getting open and making plays when they can.

Night Train
12-12-2007, 05:30 PM
My concern would be if he'd accept 35 dollars an hour as the max pay from Ralph ?