PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to make the NFL Pro Bowl Interesting Again

Pride
12-12-2007, 03:18 PM
I was just thinking about ways to make the Pro Bowl interesting again. Make it a game that players WANT to actually play and perform well in.

- The team that wins determines which conference gets to choose to kick off or receive in the following years super bowl instead of a coin toss.

- Same idea for OT in the SuperBowl.

- Eliminate all Interconference OT coin tosses and automatically give the choice to the team that is the conference winners conference (If AFC wins ProBowl, and lets say Buff plays Washington, and the game goes to OT, Buff would get the ball first.)

I'm reaching a little... anyone else have any better ideas?

Ultra Chimp 1
12-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Yea, how about playing it before the season ends.

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Yea, how about playing it before the season ends.

You would be risking injury in a game that means nothing.

trapezeus
12-12-2007, 04:05 PM
just putting it in a timezone that the rest of the continental US is on would be a great start. i realize that diminishes the joy for the players, but it kinda sucks to be sitting in a pitch black apartment in the north east and it being cold and seeing it supersunny in hawaii.

i also think that getting rid of the game itself would be better and just create a cool positions challenge. like the QB challenge, and WR challenge. make good small games that are interactive with the crowd and mic the players up. Show them having fun in Hawaii and displaying their talent.

And one last thing, pick a jersey and go with it. they get such over the top allstar jersey's that change every year. just pick one and stick with it.

Ed
12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Has the probowl ever been interesting? I guess I'm just not a fan of all-star games in general. I'm not against them, but I never get excited for them.

I believe Goodell has mentioned in the past that an idea has been discussed to move the probowl to the weekend before the superbowl and exclude the players who are playing in the SB from participating in the probowl.

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Change the game completely. NFL allstars against the CFL allstars.

mikemac2001
12-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Blacks vs Whites?

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 04:32 PM
How about this one the Superbowl Champs against the NFL allstars.

Ultra Chimp 1
12-12-2007, 05:08 PM
You would be risking injury in a game that means nothing.

So?

It's not like any of our players will be making it anytime soon.

Ed
12-12-2007, 06:52 PM
How about this one the Superbowl Champs against the NFL allstars.
I don't know. Then you have one team that's practiced together all year in the same systems against a team that's practiced together for 1 week in no system.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-12-2007, 07:22 PM
How about this one the Superbowl Champs against the NFL allstars. They used to do that a long time ago, pre-WWII, when they first started the NFL All Star Game.

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 07:28 PM
They used to do that a long time ago, pre-WWII, when they first started the NFL All Star Game.

I thought they did that. I also remember seeing a flag football game back in the early 70's between the CFL and NFL. I remember Bradshaw QB'ing but that's it. I never was able to find anything on it on line though.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-12-2007, 07:50 PM
I thought they did that. I also remember seeing a flag football game back in the early 70's between the CFL and NFL. I remember Bradshaw QB'ing but that's it. I never was able to find anything on it on line though. Wow... now that, I've never heard of. I know they used to hold NFL-CFL exhibition matches back in the 50s and early 60s, but obviously this isn't the same as what you're talking about.

Mr. Pink
12-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Go back into the day, many many moons ago for the answer to this one...

NFL All Stars vs College All Stars

NFL guys won't want to lose to College guys and the College guys will want to prove they can play on the NFL stage. Gives one extra thing for scouts to look at before drafting players as well.

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Thought of that too, just knowing the NCAA, they would never go for it, but it would be fun to watch the prospects against the pros :up:

LABillsFan
12-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Wow... now that, I've never heard of. I know they used to hold NFL-CFL exhibition matches back in the 50s and early 60s, but obviously this isn't the same as what you're talking about.

It was so backyard but was great to watch. No one was too serious and was a friendly game.

jamze132
12-13-2007, 03:27 AM
Best idea ever, right here...

Scrap the rotating bye week for everyone in the season. At week 9, everyone gets the bye and the Pro Bowl is played then, much like every other sport has their all-star break. And get it out of Hawaii and rotate the venue each year.

Winner gets all coin tosses in Super Bowl.

LtFinFan66
12-13-2007, 06:31 AM
Players VS. Refs

SabreEleven
12-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Players VS. Refs

Who ever plays the Patriots plays against them every week.

DraftBoy
12-13-2007, 08:01 AM
I think doing a promoted skills competition in coordination would be nice, I know they do it every year buts its always way after the season and never highly publicized just do it with the Pro-Bowl like MLB does with the HR Derby.

Pride
12-13-2007, 08:38 AM
I agree with that. I'd be more interested in seeing a skills challenge than the game anyway.

Of course... only certain "skill" positions would be featured. How do you do a skills challenge with OL and DL? Maybe a tug of war for AFC OL vs NFC DL and vice versa?

Linebackers doing agility course
Have WR's and DB's doing man to man coverage contest. AFC QB throwing to AFC WR, covered by NFC DB. that would be cool!

Patrick76777
12-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Blacks vs Whites?

Now that's funny!

Oaf
12-13-2007, 04:27 PM
I always thought they should have another game where they line offensive players on Defense and vice versa.

Urlacher at FB, Cromartie at RB, George Wilson out wide catching passes again :snicker2:, Freeney at T, etc.
And on defense, VY at corner, Moss at FS, Gates and Shockey at LB, Peters at DT, etc.

Not sure how the players would get chosen, but I think that'd be a hell of a event. :beer:

Mitchy moo
12-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Why don't they make it like the longest yard movie, we'll have the criminals versus the guards. Obviously Cinci will need to co-sponsor the game at that point.

mikemac2001
12-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Now that's funny!

Part of me was serious id actual enjoy watching that it be funny and entertaining

never would happen and i wasnt being racist just seeing all white guys playing vs black guys would catch alot of people's interest