Does anyone REALLY care about Kevin Everett?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Does anyone REALLY care about Kevin Everett?

I'm going to take a lot of heat for this... but I wanted to debate it anyway.

I was at the Denver game this year, and saw (first hand) Kevin go down, and eventually get carried off the field. I've followed the news coverage of him those first few weeks to find out how he was doing. I also read the SI article regarding him.

The truth is... I am really just not affected by this story on an emotional level.

Prior to the 2007 season... I thought he was a bust.
    I didn't know him personally.
    I didn't know anyone in his family.
    He was just one of a thousand other players in the league.

Then he gets hurt while making a routine tackle in a game. All of a sudden, we're supposed to care more for him than anyone else that we don't know because he wore a Bills uniform and got injured during a Bills game?

I guess the Shawn Taylor "tragedy" got me thinking about this. Aside from the subconscious thoughts that we are SUPPOSED to care for him... did anyone really lose sleep over these two "tragedies"? I know I didn't.

Again... I realize that I am bucking the system by speaking my true mind on this, when it is politically correct to say "God Bless, I'll pray for you, etc" in reference to these two players.. but I just don't buy it.

Am I glad he is ok? Yes. Would it have affected my life if he weren't? Not really.

• bigbub2352
    • Feb 2005

Re: Does anyone REALLY care about Kevin Everett?

I see were u r coming from, i think someone like myself who played football almost my whole life, i feel for him personally, but do i think the general public actually cares probably not, sure people feel bad, but most could care less, i know what it is like to see someone go down with an injury and be done for there career and it is very humbling, but you are right most people though Kevin Everett shouldnt have made the team ,and thought he was a bust
    But everyone always has to be politically correct
    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• LtFinFan66
      • Mar 2005

I understand your point. Thousands get killed and many probably get paralized every day in this country but we don't hear about most of them because they are nobodys to anyone but their friends and family. That being said, I am glad Kevin is doing well

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
        Will not tolerate vandalism.
        • Apr 2006

Look, Pride, don't be ashamed. Compared to my views on the whole matter, you're downright sentimental.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

I see where you're coming from, Pride. However, I found myself near tears when KE was lying on the field and the day after, during the doctors' press conference that sounded pretty grim. So I would say I certainly do care about Everett, and it's brightened the season quite a bit for me to know he'll be OK.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

I was really worried that he was going to be paralyzed. I don't really get emotional about it however.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
              • Feb 2005

I don't know to what extreme I care, because, like you said I didn't know him on a personal level. I do care, though. I feel for his him and his family. I had tears in my eyes as I watched it discussed on Sportcenter and on Sunday Countdown and other shows. I'm relieved that his recovery has gone so well.

Taylor, on the other hand, had different circumstances. Nobody deserves to die, but his lifestyle may have led him to it. I can't feel as much sympathy for him. That's just my opinion. I have spent a lot of time working with people off the streets in a steel plant downtown and I've learned one thing: You can take a man out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the man.

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

this is why i always bring up the point that if you are upset what happened to ke on the field then you should be upset what happened to joe blow across the street when he fell off his roof or plain jane across town who gets advanced breast cancer

its all tied into hero worship, fixation on wealth and/or fame, tribe affiliation, stuff like that

people dont feel bad because they really care about that individual they feel bad because of their delusion of connectedness that isnt really there. iow if youre not directly connected with ke then you should be equally concerned with every other non-direct connected person. unfortunately thats not usually the way it is

personally i get just as misty eyed seeing some janitor on the news who got hit by a car rushed to the hospital as i did for ke
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

Its a feel good story... But he was probably a year away from being cut outright. Michael Gaines is having a real good year and is playing better than I think KE wouldve played.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• ajsdx
                    • Aug 2003

I think LOG brought up a good point in some other thread: Sean Taylor wouldn't give a crap if you died. I don't think it's that unreasonable that we don't fall apart for ST or KE.

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

btw i like that hardass pride is showing some nice depth
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• streetkings01
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Pride
                        I'm going to take a lot of heat for this... but I wanted to debate it anyway.

I was at the Denver game this year, and saw (first hand) Kevin go down, and eventually get carried off the field. I've followed the news coverage of him those first few weeks to find out how he was doing. I also read the SI article regarding him.

The truth is... I am really just not affected by this story on an emotional level.

Prior to the 2007 season... I thought he was a bust.
                        I didn't know him personally.
                        I didn't know anyone in his family.
                        He was just one of a thousand other players in the league.

Then he gets hurt while making a routine tackle in a game. All of a sudden, we're supposed to care more for him than anyone else that we don't know because he wore a Bills uniform and got injured during a Bills game?

I guess the Shawn Taylor "tragedy" got me thinking about this. Aside from the subconscious thoughts that we are SUPPOSED to care for him... did anyone really lose sleep over these two "tragedies"? I know I didn't.

Again... I realize that I am bucking the system by speaking my true mind on this, when it is politically correct to say "God Bless, I'll pray for you, etc" in reference to these two players.. but I just don't buy it.

Am I glad he is ok? Yes. Would it have affected my life if he weren't? Not really.

I feel where your coming from. I am very happy that Kevin is doing good, but he hasn't been in my thoughts for quite awhile.
                        You can call me streetkings

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                          • Jul 2002

For me it's like if something happens to someone in your neighborhood or in your extended circle. Somehow if you know of someone it makes it more "real." At least for me anyway. So knowing KE played for the Bills I root for and seeing the play, it was a little more touching than it would have been if it was someone else or some random car accident in Hobunk, Kansas. I really didn't lose sleep over it, but I thought of him and his wellbeing from time to time.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

You callous *****...

I think most people can only empathize as much as their personal experience allows.. Like for instance, a person who has had a similar injury, or someone close to a person that has, would probably feel more intense emotions about it. It's only natural. Actually, I bet most people probably feel bad that they DON'T feel bad about these kind of things, because they think they should.. (Personally, I get more upset when I see animals hurt or abused, than people.. maybe I'm the callous *****..)

I think its self-protection thing in our brains - people aren't designed to handle all the negative s**t we get bombarded with through TV, internet, etc.. If we really got upset at all the disasters, tragedies, accidents, etc. we hear about every day, we'd probably go out of our minds.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

BTW, I didn't mean I'd get more upset about an animal hurt than Kevin - Kevin's injury actually did tear me up for several days. But again, I think its because I have personal experience that allows me to connect in some way to what he was facing - it was more the prospect of the kid losing his 'life' (not literally) than the injury itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X