PDA

View Full Version : Draft Memories: Art Shell

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-01-2003, 10:51 PM
The extensive pre-draft routines you read about these days on NFL.com did not exist when I was coming out of college in 1968. But that doesn't mean the scouting process wasn't thorough. You can credit the AFL for that.

When the AFL started up in 1960, they scoured the country for football talent -- they had to do their homework in order to compete with the established NFL. But most of the scouting, by both the NFL and AFL, was done during the season. No Combines or extensive private workouts. I don't think we had many practices during my four years of college football when there wasn't at least one pro scout in attendance.

I remember working out and keeping prepared as the 1968 draft approached. John Sandusky of the Colts came to work me out in the gym, and maybe a couple of other teams came by. But that was it. Other than that, my roommates and I were just waiting for the draft to come, dreaming about the opportunity to play professional football. It was the normal dream of any athlete -- make some money, buy a nice car. Not everyone had a car in those days.

Anyway, I really didn't know the Raiders were that interested in drafting me. Like many prospects those days, I thought the Dallas Cowboys were going to take me. Everyone thought the Cowboys were going to draft them because the Cowboys' scouting department always mailed out lots of cards and letters to all the prospects. I remember getting a Christmas card from the Raiders, but that was it. Based on the interest other teams had shown, I also had an inkling I might be drafted by either the 49ers or the Chargers.

http://nfl.com/draft/story/6282291